Start by marking “Divine Illusions (Spells of Surrender, #1)” as Want to Read:
Divine Illusions (Spells of Surrender, #1)

Divine Illusions (Spells of Surrender, #1)

*NEW COVER*

Battle magic is no use in the fight against temptation...

Magic is real and Keira Clearwater wants in on the action (she never really wanted to be an accountant anyway). So she dropped out of college, crossed The Veil, and enlisted in The Realm’s Army, joining the fight to defend Earth against the dark menace threatening to break through.

The only problem is, upo
Published May 2018 (first published January 30th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Divine Illusions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Divine Illusions

Soleil
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a good read, but it could've been better with a bit of world building. A little more character interaction with more people in the book would've been good too; I know there were more than five people at the camp.

Overall, it was a fun getaway from my everyday life. Plan on reading the second installment soon.
Kes
Jun 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, owned, read-2018
Oh no.

The main character, Keira, is a Diviner, the rarest form of magic - she can tell the future and read minds. She joins the war on the battlefield as a field Diviner, and is mentored by Hale, a Mage (second rarest kind; the others are "Salamanders", who control fire).

For a war zone, Keira is sent with no war training. This is... not the system I would expect of any modern army. (Even 18th century Europe did better at training their soldiers; I don't know why 21st century America has complete
E.M. Swift-Hook
Sexy romance in a science fantasy setting

“Earth is oursss,” the Elf said, scraping its blade across the dirt. “We shaaall take it back.”

The elves are attacking earth from another dimension and they are really evil. Those with magical talents are being sent through the Veil to fight them. Kiera is a Diviner, the most despised of all the magically talented because all she can do is see the future not cast fireballs. Hale is a mage, haunted by the memory of a past mistake and assigned to be Kiera’s
Chrys Cymri
I found myself struggling with this novella.

The story starts with the main character in a fantasy situation (fireballs, wizards) and only over the course of the narrative do we discover the background. Seems that Earth is under threat from elves and Keira has joined an army to use her magic to help defend her world.

Two differing genres seem to be battling each other in this novella. Within a few pages, Keira has fallen heavily in lust with a Mage. In the next chapter, POV shifts to Hale, and w
S.L. Baron
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short, fun read that starts right in on the action and keeps it going throughout the book.

Keira Clearwater decides to escape a life of monotony by joining Earth’s fight against Elves on the other side of the Veil, where her divination powers flourish. Being sent to the front, where survival is slim, is not what she expected—and no one thinks she belongs alongside Mages and Salamanders (pyromancers).

In comes Hale Draven, the Mage assigned to train Keira. Though he feels she’s probably a
Akhil Sharma
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its one hell of a read. Keira kept me engaged till the end. The romance on the edge was beautifully put by the author. Initially it is tough to get the grip on the book especially with the vocabulary but slowly you would find yourself drowning in the quick sand of words written around the tale of Keira and Hale.
Clearly an entertaining read for me. The only drawback in this book is that now I have to wait for the next book to come and this is the specific reason why I am always sceptic about touc
Samantha Russell
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not bad

I liked the story but why do the Elves speak like they have a lidp or are snake like?? Other than that the story was great with the magic abilities although there is more than just fire and mage abilities which could be anything so what's the extent of their abilities? I'm not sure but makes me want to know. I like Kiera and Hale but I do feel as if their relationship was a bit rushed and all lovey too fast. I look forward to reading the next book.
J
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure I would go for the fantasy aspect of this but I really liked Divine Illusions! This book has just the right amount of betrayal and romance to keep you going and the characters and situations just seemed so real in the way they interacted.

Loved that this is a stand alone and a HEA but apparently the story continues as this is a series; so I'm looking forward to book #2 Flames Untamed!
Kay
Stacy Ittersagen
Aug 16, 2018
Ebookie
Sep 30, 2018
Alix Sharpe didn't have friends until the 4th grade. She much preferred spending recess in silence where she could hear the stories unfolding in her head. Fast forward a few decades. Alix made some friends. But the stories, they never stopped (the only difference is now there's usually some hunky dude involved). So Alix decided to write the stories down in the hopes that one day she could share he ...more