Start by marking “Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)

Ruthless Gods

(Something Dark and Holy #2)

Darkness never works alone...

Nadya doesn’t trust her magic anymore. Serefin is fighting off a voice in his head that doesn’t belong to him. Malachiasz is at war with who--and what--he’s become.

As their group is continually torn apart, the girl, the prince, and the monster find their fates irrevocably intertwined. They’re pieces on a board, being orchestrated by someone…
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Ruthless Gods, please sign up.
Seo I believe the author has said that this will be a trilogy.…moreI believe the author has said that this will be a trilogy. (less)

Start your review of Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
Emily A. Duncan
May 17, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
it's weird! it's cerebral! everyone is sad! it nearly killed me! it's a good 100 pages longer than WICKED SAINTS!

if you like cosmic horror, forests that want to eat you, and very sad very pretty boys and very tired very done with everything girls then i have a book for you.

that's all, see ya in 2020.

edit: 6.19.19: ~we have a cover~ and i'm just going to come out ahead of arcs and put the necessary content warnings here because we're dealing with about the same level of blood/self harm as
jessica
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i have no idea what kind of dark and holy sorcery i was able to conjure in order to get myself an ARC of this so early, but praise to all the wicked saints and ruthless gods alike, because wow. this is EXACTLY the kind of darkness i needed to kick off my spooktober!

just like its predecessor, this sequel is so seductively wicked, so gothically bloody, so cruelly romantic; and my black soul has never been happier.

although the pacing seems to be bit slower than i remember it being in the first
Miranda Reads
Dec 13, 2019 is currently reading it
description
Just f*ck me up. I'm ready.

(Okay, okay. No I'm not but go for it anyway)

With thanks to the author for a free copy in exchange for an honest review

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Snapchat @miranda.reads
Nastassja

**Many thanks to Wednesday Books and Netgalley for providing me with an ARC of this book**

Actual rating: 4.5 stars

The world they wish is broken bones and blood—always blood.

To finish this monstrous book on Friday the 13th and on full moon is a sign. A sign that this terrible, erratic, weird but beautiful book means something special to me. Three days of my life were solely dedicated to it. I was so engrossed in the story I couldn't properly eat, sleep, or do anything normal like interacting

Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
Passes: 432
Expected publication: April 7th 2020

The Gods are ruthless and friends can be just as bad!

This was an amazing book. So much happened and I loved it all. Like Wicked Saints, nothing in this book was predictable. It was truly an adventure fantasy. The three main characters and their sidekicks started out in the capital city of Tranavia and ended up going on an Epic Journey to the far side of Kalyazin to change life as they know it by either ending the war or freeing the Gods from
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I have no words! I mean I have a few. These poor broken babies!! We learn lots of things. Go through a million more. That ending!!!!! I hope for something good in next book.

More closer to pub date when I can quote and stuff

Mel
Hannah
Jan 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
It is difficult to know how to begin a Goodreads review of a book when its author so regularly takes to Twitter to decry her Goodreads reviewers. One gains the impression that one’s review of this book, and of its predecessor Wicked Saints, is less an honest opinion provided for an audience of potential readers than some sort of opening argument directed to an audience of one. I find myself selecting my phrases not based on how helpful or informational they might be to you, the Goodreads user, ...more
megs_bookrack
9/4/19: Putting this back on the shelf for a moment. Basically, I flipped out when I received and started reading it right away but it doesn't release until April 2020!

I have so many other things I need to focus on right now. I definitely plan to pick it back up in December or January, for real!

Note to self: Chill the f* out, Meg. Seriously.

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!?!?

Thank you so much to Wednesday Books.
The fact that I can read this right now...
I just cannot even express my appreciation.

Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Holy cannoli people! Ruthless Gods was one wild ass roller coaster ride. Sort of emotional for me because I kept shipping (and will probably continue to do so for the rest of my life) two people that just NEVER did anything romantic (yet). I still have high hopes and that's that.

In this, you are reunited with the gang again: Nadya, Serefin, and Malachiasz. Of course there are other important and lovable people but then I
Dark River
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WHIP OUT THE BLACK EYELINER AND CRANK UP THE HEAVY METAL
We're going on an adventure!

I must begin with saying that I am a big fan of second books in series. We already know the most important characters, we know the world, basic rules have been established. It's less introducing us to everything and more plot, more character development. Luckily, it was no different here. It felt a bit like coming home (well, if your idea of home is a bleak, wet, snow-covered forest that houses a bunch of
Boston
Jan 10, 2020 marked it as dnf
DNF at 25%. I’ve just come to realize that I don’t think I care about this series now as much as I did when the first book came out. What I did read was well written though.
Ashlee » Library In The Country
EMILY, HOW DARE YOU. Y’all are not ready.

This book is cruel and dark and WONDERFUL. Everything it was destined to be. Onyx and obsidian, laced in blood. An inky and monstrous gem of a sequel.

I don’t know how I was lucky enough to get my hands on Ruthless Gods so early, perhaps it’s a gift from the divine or something far more sinister. Perhaps both? You’ll probably have to read the book to find out. And read the book you should.

Wicked Saints completely shattered what I believed was possible in
ash | emeraldbookowl
Apr 02, 2019 marked it as on-hold
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I am putting this on hold because I want to complete a re-read of Wicked Saints before I dive back in. As I was reading the first chapter, my recall of the story felt fuzzy. This may be a personal preference, but I prefer going into a sequel with the overall plot fresh in my mind. This series is very atmospheric and I want to be fully immersed -- not left with this feeling of detachment. I feel I wouldn't be doing this book justice. Stay tuned!
_______
THANK YOU, NETGALLEY!

:):):)

so pretty
can't
Amy Imogene Reads
May 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
Wishes DO come true! (I'm so ready)

Thoughts on Wicked Saints.

Thank you so much to Wednesday Books via NetGalley for an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review.
Jessica Bibi
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
12/18--will review closer to 2020 lmao but i am SHOOK AND DISTRAUGHT, I TELL YOU. SHOOK AND DISTRAUGHT!!!!!
Caitlin Reads
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC!!!

This was a great follow up to Wicked Saints and a perfect read to kick off October! There was a lot more character development in the follow up and lots of twists and turns to keep things interesting. Ruthless Gods is not for the faint of heart. The characters are so broken and this book is filled with so much angst and betrayal its hard to read at parts, yet you can't look away. The second installment was filled with MORE, more romance,
Erin A. Craig
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gruesome, grotesque, and so so glorious
Morgan
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways, arc
3.5 Rounded Up!

Boy, do I have mixed feelings for this one. I believe that Ruthless Gods was a step up from Wicked Saints but I couldn’t help but feel like this book was just one big filler between the first and the last book of the series with little substance of its own.

At the beginning of Ruthless Gods, our main characters are in a pretty unstable place. Malachiaz has fled to the Vulture’s Salt Mines in his monstrous form, Serefin is struggling to keep his sanity and his kingdom from being
booksneedcaffeinetoo
Feb 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
i'm just here to read about a tattooed Malachiasz dripping in blood and covered in iron spikes.

i love dark books staring monsters, blood, cool outfits, and that goth aesthetic. mmkay.

the trilogy is called Something Dark and Holy but really it should be called Something Dark and Bloody. you know...because everyone is always covered in blood. (if this trilogy was made into a movie half the budget would go into making the fake blood.)

Julia
Considering how much I loved the Wicked Saints I cannot fully express my disappointment with its sequel.

While I loved the first book even if I was confused by the end of it, I felt absolutely nothing of that kind towards the second one. The story got even more messed up, as if Emily A. Duncan herself didn't know what she was trying to do with all the loose ends left at the end of the Wicked Saints.

There are dozens of reasons Ruthless Gods didn't work for me, but I would like to dwell a little
Kyle
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for the opportunity to read this advanced copy, in exchange for an honest review.

Godsdamn... that was something!
A bit expected, but thrilling nonetheless.

To just get the negative criticism out the way: There was a somewhat more redundancy to the language this time around. You can only read “dark” and “blood” and “monster” so many times before growing weary of hearing it page after page after page. But I get it. My other complaint is something I let
maya
Jun 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
COVER

guess who was just approved for an arc

ThIS BItCH
Tiffany Bookwormgram
(physical arc provided by the publisher)

Ha...haha...ha...

That’s the sound of my nervous, terrified laughter throughout this book. MY CHILDREN. My sweet, horrible, bloody, disgusting, awful children!

*Okay, form a coherent thought*

Ruthless Gods is the Slavic Chaotic Cosmic Horror (a new genre?) I was dyyyyying for. Wicked Saints was dark at points, but this book is So Much MORE.

These three ridiculous kids are just so in over their heads. Someone is always covered in blood. There’s so much Eye
Kendra Cusworth
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

Wow wow wow!
This book started just as fast paced as its predecessor, however, in a way that was much more graspable. The story hooks you immediately, unfolding masterfully from the first chapter. And I was in love with every minute of it.
(spoilers for the first book will be included, so proceed with caution)

Nadya is struck with the loss of having the voices of the gods in her head as well as the betrayal that cut her deep just a few months before. Serefin is attempting to figure out
Alexandra
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
I received an e-ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Full review can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

And wasn't this a bloody surprise! The sequel to Wicked Saints had even more monsters, blood, carnage, and romance. Nadya, Seferin, and Malachiasz along with their own allies and new friends will have to seek the deepest powers of the gods...even if their motives clash together and destroy them in the process.

I can't say that this book is all fluff and rainbows. On the contrary I
Celia McMahon
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hello. I am here to tell you that I was one of those people severely disappointed by THE WICKED SAINTS, but a glutton for punishment since I snatched up the sequel. It is with a light heart that I tell those naysayers that this sequel far surpasses its predecessor. The writing is so much better, and the story had so much DARK. Although I still did not feel truly connected to the characters (save for Serefin. He is my little cinnamon roll), it did not affect my rating as much.

That ending,
Jessica McKenna
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
When a book has not one, but two scenes in which the main character gets plot-relevantly covered in blood, and yet somehow still manages to be boring as hell, you know you have reached a certain level of bad.

Ruthless Gods is exactly like Wicked Saints except less interesting. I really don't know what else I expected.

I mean, sure there's a guy who's now made himself into a pseudo-deity with eyes growing all over his body at inopportune times. And yeah there's some eldritch horror possessing one
Katrin D
Jun 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: tbr-april-2020
Excuse me, but this cover is one of the most depressing things I've seen lately.
Halle
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
♠ TABI ♠
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
"The world they wish is broken bones and blood—always blood."

description

bless authors who give content warnings

Right, so it's been a while since I read this bloody, chaotic mess of a book and as such I've forgotten most of the details. Yet I did not forget my obsessive, inexplicable love for this series because the characters have forever stolen my heart.

H O W E V E R

When I say chaotic mess, I'm serious about that. The plot was all over the place, bouncing around like an out-of-control ball you decided
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Weight of a Soul
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Diamond City (Diamond City, #1)
  • The Raven and the Dove (The Raven and the Dove, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • The Sound of Stars
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • Of Silver and Shadow
  • Foul Is Fair
  • Nameless Queen
  • Blood Countess
  • Tweet Cute
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • Only Mostly Devastated
“Emily A. Duncan was born and raised in Ohio and works as a youth services librarian. She received a Master’s degree in library science from Kent State University, which mostly taught her how to find obscure Slavic folklore texts through interlibrary loan systems. When not reading or writing, she enjoys playing copious amounts of video games and dungeons and dragons. She is represented by Thao Le ...more

Something Dark and Holy (3 books)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • Untitled (Something Dark and Holy, #3)
“The world they wish is broken bones and blood—always blood.” 2 likes
“He was everything; he was nothing. She was torn apart in a thousand directions but there was only one and it was forward. There was nothing else but this.” 1 likes