Start by marking “Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)

Ruthless Gods

(Something Dark and Holy #2)

The stunning sequel to instant New York Times bestseller, Wicked Saints!

Darkness never works alone...

Nadya doesn’t trust her magic anymore. Serefin is fighting off a voice in his head that doesn’t belong to him. Malachiasz is at war with who--and what--he’s become.

As their group is continually torn apart, the girl, the prince, and the monster find their fates irrevocably
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Ruthless Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruthless Gods

Emily A. Duncan
May 17, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
it's weird! it's cerebral! everyone is sad! it nearly killed me! it's a good 100 pages longer than WICKED SAINTS!

if you like cosmic horror, forests that want to eat you, and very sad very pretty boys and very tired very done with everything girls then i have a book for you.

that's all, see ya in 2020.

edit: 6.19.19: ~we have a cover~ and i'm just going to come out ahead of arcs and put the necessary content warnings here because we're dealing with about the same level of blood/self harm as Wicke
Nastassja

**Many thanks to Wednesday Books and Netgalley for providing me with an ARC of this book**

Actual rating: 4.5 stars

The world they wish is broken bones and blood—always blood.

To finish this monstrous book on Friday the 13th and on full moon is a sign. A sign that this terrible, erratic, weird but beautiful book means something special to me. Three days of my life were solely dedicated to it. I was so engrossed in the story I couldn't properly eat, sleep, or do anything normal like interacting w

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I have no words! I mean I have a few. These poor broken babies!! We learn lots of things. Go through a million more. That ending!!!!! I hope for something good in next book.

More closer to pub date when I can quote and stuff

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
megs_bookrack
9/4/19: Putting this back on the shelf for a moment. I basically flipped out when I received this. I started reading it right away but it doesn't release until April 2020! I have so many other things I need to focus on right now. Plan to pick it back up in December or January!

Note to self: Chill the f* out, Meg!

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!?!?

Thank you so much to Wednesday Books.
The fact that I can read this right now...
I just cannot even express my appreciation.

...the most blood lusty cover eve
Alaina
Aug 24, 2019 marked it as to-read
OMG THIS IS ON NETGALLEY RIGHT FREAKING NOW. I WANT IT 😱😱😍😍

GUYS OMG OMG OMG

I GOT THIS FUCKING ARC. I'M SO EXCITED. WHAT IS LIFE.
ash | emeraldbookowl

i need i need i need

book 1 Wicked Saints 5/5 ★
Jessica Bibi
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
12/18--will review closer to 2020 lmao but i am SHOOK AND DISTRAUGHT, I TELL YOU. SHOOK AND DISTRAUGHT!!!!!
Amy Imogene Reads
May 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
(I'm so ready)

Thoughts on Wicked Saints.
Dark River
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WHIP OUT THE BLACK EYELINER AND CRANK UP THE HEAVY METAL
We're going on an adventure!

I must begin with saying that I am a big fan of second books in series. We already know the most important characters, we know the world, basic rules have been established. It's less introducing us to everything and more plot, more character development. Luckily, it was no different here. It felt a bit like coming home (well, if your idea of home is a bleak, wet, snow-covered forest that houses a bunch of monste
maya
Jun 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
COVER

guess who was just approved for an arc

ThIS BItCH
Celia McMahon
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hello. I am here to tell you that I was one of those people severely disappointed by THE WICKED SAINTS, but a glutton for punishment since I snatched up the sequel. It is with a light heart that I tell those naysayers that this sequel far surpasses its predecessor. The writing is so much better, and the story had so much DARK. Although I still did not feel truly connected to the characters (save for Serefin. He is my little cinnamon roll), it did not affect my rating as much.

That ending, though
Katrin D
Jun 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
Excuse me, but this cover is one of the most depressing things I've seen lately.
booksneedcaffeinetoo
Feb 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
i'm just here to read about a tattooed Malachiasz dripping in blood and covered in iron spikes.

i love dark books staring monsters, blood, cool outfits, and that goth aesthetic. mmkay.

the trilogy is called Something Dark and Holy but really it should be called Something Dark and Bloody. you know...because everyone is always covered in blood. (if this trilogy was made into a movie half the budget would go into making the fake blood.)

Kyle
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Many thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for the opportunity to read this advanced copy, in exchange for an honest review.

Godsdamn... that was something!
A bit expected, but thrilling nonetheless.

To just get the negative criticism out the way: There was a somewhat more redundancy to the language this time around. You can only read “dark” and “blood” and “monster” so many times before growing weary of hearing it page after page after page. But I get it. My other complaint is something I let
Tiffany Bookwormgram
(physical arc provided by the publisher)

Ha...haha...ha...

That’s the sound of my nervous, terrified laughter throughout this book. MY CHILDREN. My sweet, horrible, bloody, disgusting, awful children!

*Okay, form a coherent thought*

Ruthless Gods is the Slavic Chaotic Cosmic Horror (a new genre?) I was dyyyyying for. Wicked Saints was dark at points, but this book is So Much MORE.

These three ridiculous kids are just so in over their heads. Someone is always covered in blood. There’s so much Eye St
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Damn...I know you have heard this many many times...but that ending? Gut wrenching...bewilderment...anticipation...with a bit of hope!

And to wait another year to find out what happens to our cleric, prince, monster, and queen? Ugh...I am going to go through withdrawal!

Full review to come in 2020
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Please be better than the first book, please be better than the first book
Mar 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
Um, EXCUSE ME. I BETTER HAVE ANSWERS AND HAPPY THINGS BECAUSE I AM DISTRAUGHT AFTER WICKED SAINTS. I don't mean to shout but I have so many feelings and I never learned how to communicate them appropriately.
Emily (moonlight&moths)
Jun 18, 2019 marked it as to-read-unpublished
I was told that if I liked the last quarter of the first book I would love this one. So despite my slight annoyance at the first book I’m reluctantly hoping the second one is better. Crossing my fingers for spooky cosmic horror.
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
Aug 22, 2019 marked it as tbr-unreleased
Thank you Macmillan and Wednesday Books for the ARC.

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | BlogLovin’
Tori Kiersten Frost
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
RUTHLESS GODS builds a whole new genre on the foundation laid by Emily Duncan's debut, WICKED SAINTS. Combining cosmic horror, Slavic folklore, and a thread of theology, this book is unlike anything else I've encountered in YA fantasy. Readers who crave the gothic thrills of video games like Bloodborne and the arcane adventures and witty banter of a good Dungeons & Dragons campaign will easily fall under this series' spell.
mandabutler
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley, e-arc
I received an advanced reader copy e-book of Ruthless Gods via NetGalley, St. Martin’s Press, and Wednesday Books. All opinions are my own.

I read Wicked Saints in July and I loved it. I was so eager to get Ruthless Gods, I didn’t want to wait until April! I was so thankful to receive an e-arc through NetGalley. This is my first highly anticipated e-arc.

Wicked Saints left us wanting more, and Ruthless Gods brings it. This book brings more death, magic, gods, and confusion. Everyone has power but
Cat
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ruthless Gods is a dark, delicious masterful follow up to Wicked Saints, full of the darkness of nightmares, the light of it too, and blood- so much blood. Our main characters have been left in the aftermath of their decisions, haunted by each other and the echo of what was cut away, floundering for a reason to go on, a way to fix what was broken. But with a break like that, they need to be broken more, again, to even try to heal. And this is what Ruthless Gods is, but it's not the clean break a ...more
Christina Helms
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: want-to-read
I need this book now! How can you make us wait until 2020? I went into Wicked Saints expecting to either like it or hate it. I didn't know it would destroy me (in the best way possible)! We need a support group to get us through the wait 😂
Virginja ↢ 99% imp
Just looked through the author insta page and found out that the non-sense prophecy of the two-bit witch involves other two character whose names are probably Torin and Artanna. Enjoy the infos and let me know when this book is out so I can DESTROY IT PIECE BY PIECE.
Megan
Jul 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
Here's hoping this one is even better than the first!
Jenna Major
Jul 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
I am very conflicted about this cover. On one hand it's very mature and grim which I like, but I also find it's lacking the AHHHH factor of the Wicked Saints cover.
Meedah
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to come but ONGAWWWWWWWD WHAT EVEN ARE WORDS!!!?
Mia
Jun 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
Need me some more Serefin
Seo
Jun 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
please we must protect serefin, king of moths
« previous 1 3 next »

• Untitled (The Beautiful, #2)
  • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
  • Cloak of Night (Circle of Shadows, #2)
  • Bid My Soul Farewell (Give the Dark My Love, #2)
  • The Winterborne Home for Vengeance and Virtue
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • Crown of Oblivion
  • The Boy and the Dark Star (The Dark Star Trilogy, #3)
  • This Vicious Cure (This Mortal Coil, #3)
  • ReBorn (Angel Creek, #3)
  • The Kingdom
  • Thornlight
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
  • Untitled
  • Rebel (Legend, #4)
  • #Murderfunding (MurderTrending, #2)
  • Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
“Emily A. Duncan was born and raised in Ohio and works as a youth services librarian. She received a Master’s degree in library science from Kent State University, which mostly taught her how to find obscure Slavic folklore texts through interlibrary loan systems. When not reading or writing, she enjoys playing copious amounts of video games and dungeons and dragons. She is represented by Thao Le ...more

Something Dark and Holy (3 books)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • Untitled (Something Dark and Holy, #3)
“I thought we needed him for his glowing personality,” Rashid said.
“And because we missed him.”
“Flattery will get you everywhere, Rashid,” Malachiasz replied.”
0 likes
“You’ll play,” Nadya said <..> “You would have stayed in your hellish mines if you were not going to play. Did you expect to return and find everything exactly like it was before you burned it to the ground? There are only ever ashes after a fire, Malachiasz, and I’ll have you at my feet yet.” His eyes narrowed, the faint smile never quite dropping from his lips even as the air around him turned dangerous. His tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear. “We’ll see, pet.” 0 likes