Start by marking “City Of Bones (Harry Bosch #8; Harry Bosch Universe, #10)” as Want to Read:
City Of Bones (Harry Bosch #8; Harry Bosch Universe, #10)

City Of Bones

(Harry Bosch #8)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  40,511 ratings  ·  1,770 reviews
Updated cover of this Kindle edition.

On New Year's Day, a dog finds a bone in the Hollywood Hills--and unearths a murder committed more than twenty years earlier. It's a cold case, but for Detective Harry Bosch, it stirs up memories of his childhood as an orphan. He can't let it go. As the investigation takes Bosch deeper into the past, a beautiful rookie cop brings hi
Published July 29th 2014 by Little, Brown and Company (first published April 16th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about City Of Bones, please sign up.
Tim Healy
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Butterflyaholic He incorrectly thought his daughter had killed her brother; was trying to protect her and also atone for what he’d done to her.

·  40,511 ratings  ·  1,770 reviews

Start your review of City Of Bones (Harry Bosch #8; Harry Bosch Universe, #10)
James Thane
The eighth Harry Bosch novel, published in 2002, opens when a dog unearths a human bone in Laurel Canyon in the hills above Hollywood. The dog's owner, a retired doctor, recognizes the discovery immediately and calls the police. Harry Bosch responds, climbs the hill where the dog had been playing, and discovers the bones of a child that had been buried in a shallow grave more than twenty years earlier.

An autopsy reveals that the boy had been murdered, but there are precious few clues apart from
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: The old lady changed her mind about dying but by then it had been too late. She dug her fingers into the paint and plaster of the nearby wall until most of her fingernails had broken off. Then she had gone for the neck, scrabbling to push the bloodied fingertips up and under the cord. She broke four toes kicking at the walls. She had tried so hard, shown such a desperate will to live, that it made Harry Bosch wonder what had happened before. Where was that determination and will and why ...more
Phrynne
This is the eighth book in the Harry Bosch series and the one I liked the least so far. I still enjoyed it and found it a quick easy read but it lacked a certain something. I know I was uncomfortable in all the scenes involving Brasher who I found I could not like at all. Eventually I wondered why she had even been included and in fact whether the author felt the same way judging by events! There was a lot of description of police procedure which I enjoy but which can also drag a bit when there ...more
Brenda
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Calamity (“he was trouble as a puppy”) was the one who changed the course of Detective Harry Bosch’s future and set a course for the following two weeks of dark memories and turbulent trouble. When Bosch was called to Wonderland in Los Angeles, he suspected the bone which had been unearthed would be the usual; a wild animal of some description. But when the almost complete skeleton of a young boy was brought to the surface; and learning the bones had been in the ground for twenty years, Bosch wa ...more
Obsidian
I definitely enjoyed "City of Bones." I really enjoyed this look at what it was that caused Harry Bosch to retire from the LAPD. I'm sad to think about what could have been though when you see a more thoughtful and happy Harry in this one.

Bosch is still teamed up with J. Edgar in this one (book Edgar still sucks) and they get called in when a bone is found up in the hills. When it becomes clear they are looking at human remains, Bosch is thrown into a high profile case that the LAPD just wants c
Matt
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
A great Bosch book that details many sub-stories within the one novel. Perhaps not stories as much as solutions to the case, in which Connelly has the reader (and Bosch) sure that the killer is Mr. X, only to find out that new evidence points to Ms. Y. It also touches on many powerful (and painful) themes, including missing children, abuse, foster care, and death on the job.

Connelly continues to build a strong emotional foundation for his best character, Harry Bosch, and examines the continuall
Jonetta
I have such mixed feelings about this story.

Harry Bosch and partner Jerry Edgar respond to a call about a bone found by a doctor's dog. He's certain it's human and he turns out to be right, prompting the start of what ends up being a very cold case.

I loved the forensics aspect of the story, along with the procedurals. Nobody does it better than Harry and I enjoy his investigative style. There are other personal situations that impact the investigation and Harry's career that I found troubling.
Book Addict Shaun
After a few disappointing reads over the last few days I couldn’t wait to jump back into the Harry Bosch series. Having only recently read Michael Connelly for the first time, he has quickly became one of my favourite authors and I can’t think of an author in this genre who writes better crime fiction than this. The realism just oozes off the page and I can’t get enough of these books.

Once again Connelly has written a truly gripping and engrossing tale with so many strands running off it across
Mark
Mar 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A South African mystery writer recently said this was the best crime book ever written. I have no way of verifying that, but it was very, very good. This novel seems to come in the middle of Michael Connelly's series featuring Los Angeles detective Harry Bosch. The title derives from the discovery at the outset of a set of boy's bones on a wooded hillside above a residential street, and the case resonates strongly with Bosch because of his own troubled childhood.

Through the twists and turns tha
Heidi
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-goal, mysteries
A solid mystery featuring my favorite lone wolf, Harry Bosch. Unfortunately it dragged for me, but not because of anything Connelly did or didn’t do, but because most of this book was well-covered in the third season of the Amazon series.

Because TV manages to change up even the best of storylines, there were a few surprises. Most notable the ending.

I didn’t see that coming but no doubt Bosch will find new ways to annoy the LAPD leadership.
Diane Wallace
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good series! crime thriller and a murder mystery in the plot...nice action and many tense moments but in the end it's still a really good series M.Connelly keep writing (paperback!)
Fred
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, html-img
Detective Harry Bosch Returns with a difficult “track” of bones to find & uncover a murder trail.

Dr. Paul Guyot MD, called to report his dog found “an arm bone of a kid” on a steep hill behind his home. His dog helps Bosch find more bones scattered under dirt, including a child’s hand. This is near a Hollywood street named Wonderland.

After seeing a TV news report, Shelia Delacroix called to say 20+ years ago, she lived near Wonderland & her brother, Arthur(12) had disappeared after being hospita
Becky
Hallelujah. After the last volume in this series being such a disappointing cluster, I was a little concerned that it might be impossible to come back from such a mess, but I need not have worried. With Terry McCaleb out of the way, Bosch was more than ready to get back to business as usual.

This storyline is one that was featured in the show (it's all out of order, don't worry about crossover ruination - even having seen it, I wasn't spoiled on the story) and it reads, thankfully, just as easy
Carolyn
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Harry Bosch has one of his most puzzling cases yet. The skeleton of a 12 year old boy has been found in a shallow grave on a hillside. Not only must Harry find the identity of this boy murdered 20-30 years ago but he must also find the killer. Harry follows a few false leads as he tries to match the evidence from what he knows of the boys life and his friends and family and it comes to look as if it may remain a cold case. Harry also has some serious thinking to do about his future and where he ...more
Jim
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The eighth book in the Harry Bosch series opens on New Year's Day with a dog returning to his owner with a bone. The owner, a retired doctor, realizes the bone is human and calls the police. Harry is working the holiday and gets the call. When Harry arrives on the scene he climbs the hill where the dog had been playing and discovers the bones of a child that had been buried in a shallow grave twenty years ago. Forensics show that the child had been abused repeatedly. It is a cold case. It is the ...more
Candace Moser
About halfway through the 2 hour drive to my in-laws' house, I realized that I had forgotten to bring a book or 2. I figured I would find something to read at their house. I started it on Friday evening around 7, and I had finished it by early Saturday afternoon, it was a quick and easy read. It wasn't a bad story, it just wasn't a great one. It follows Hieronymus Bosch, a Hollywood detective who kind of brings to mind a slightly less jaded version of Bruce Willis' character in The Last Boyscout ...more
Scott
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
** Continuing my read and review of Michael Connelly’s Detective Bosch series **

Connelly’s 12th book and the 8th outing with Bosch - “City of Bones” - was published back in 2002 before cell-phones and social media played a key role in police work. Detective Hieronymus “Harry” Bosch is a Vietnam war veteran and a twenty-year police officer serving in the Los Angeles, California police department. Harry was previously a star in the Robbery/Homicide division, working out of the LA city headquarters
Lewis Weinstein
Another outstanding work from Michael Connelly ... Bosch is an interesting complex character whose adventures keep the pages turning
4.5 stars. No matter what is going on, you can always count on Michael Connelly to interrupt it, in the best of ways. If you want to lose yourself in a book, you can't go wrong with his work. You're immersed before the first chapter is over and the chapters are short!

The ending genuinely surprised me. I'm very very curious how he picks up this thread in the ninth book. I don't want to give anything away or I'd say more.

I really wish I had the ninth book in my hands right now because I would pic
Scott Rhee
The title of Michael Connelly’s eighth book to feature his hero-detective Harry Bosch, “City of Bones”, refers to a term used by crime scene investigators to describe the sight of an old crime scene, where the body has deteriorated down to the bones. Oftentimes nature will scatter bones throughout a general area, especially if the grave is a shallow one, and the resultant grid that CSI forms is dubbed a “city of bones”.

The title has another, more metaphorical, meaning, as well. It refers to the
Richard
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
7.5/10

Another solid entry into the Harry Bosch world only let down by a weak ending. Initially the murder case Harry has to work didn’t pull me in, the discovery of the bones of a child which had been buried in the hills some 30 years before by a dog just didn’t incite excitement for me. When will I learn never to doubt Michael Connelly!

With the case been effectively a cold case you always wonder how police look into these and a way in which they will dig up leads for a murder from 30 years ago.
kartik narayanan
Wow!

City of Bones is an amazing Bosch novel. I knew the ending - sort of - since I have seen season 1 of the TV series but this book still held my attention right till the end. An intriguing mystery, murky organizational politics, tons of red herrings - all of them come together to make this one of the best detective fiction stories ever.
Jim
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic addition to the Bosch books. Not only was it another good mystery, but things never go the way they normally do in such books. Great characters being real people which means the results aren't always predictable, but the motivations make sense in retrospect - save for the last one. I'm still thinking that one over. Definitely a memorable book.

This series really needs to be read as part of the chronology of Connelly's published works, not just in the series order. Instead of put
Jenny
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery
City of Bones is book eight in the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly. One shift Harry Bosch caught a case of human bones found in the woods in Laurel Canyon. However, the bones were old, and Detective Harry Bosch started to find answers and on the way brought up memoirs that could destroy him. The readers of City Of Bones will continue to follow Detective Harry Bosch thought all twists and turns in his investigation to find out who the bones belong too.

City of Bones is another excellent in
Robin
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2016
The police are called when a dog brings home a human bone after wandering the Hollywood Hills. When the area is searched, a shallow grave containing more bones is found. Detective Harry Bosch investigates the nearly twenty year old murder of a teenage boy. He must discover the identity of the child, along with who killed him. There are only a few clues to the case, but Harry and his partner, Jerry Edgar, want to close the case on this one.

This is a solid mystery in the Harry Bosch series. There
Carol
May 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, fiction
Making my way through the series. I knew a great deal of this story as it is one of the cases that the Amazon Bosch series is based on. There are some differences which I really liked. These variations from the TV production made the book well worth reading.

As always an enjoyable read.
Mike
Pretty decent, quick read. A cold case involving the murder of a young boy twenty years earlier. Always have a tough time reading about abused kids. Quite a few twists and turns before the end. 3 Stars for City of Bones

2017: The Amazon series "Bosch" has this book as the first season's story. The series is exactly how I pictured Harry Bosch. Excellent!
Anne
This entry in the series was pretty good too, apart from Connelly's repetitious fridging of characters. Really, bro? You always have to go there?

3.5 stars for plot. -.5 stars for the usual nonsense.
Harry
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time saver tip: if you've read my review of any Harry Bosch book, you've read 'em all. Since I don't reveal plots and reserve my comments to the overall book/author, characterization, style, etc...I just don't feel the need to repeat myself as in most cases series books if any good at all do remain consistent. The star ratings might change, but not my opinion of the series as a whole.

Michael Connelly is a well know and very popular author in the mystery/detective and police procedural genres. E
Mark Baker
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2018
Harry Bosch doesn’t take the call about a human bone serious at first, but this time it turns out that a bone from a human skeleton has been found in a Hollywood neighborhood. The skeleton is that of an abused pre-teen boy, and he’s been buried for 20 years. Can Bosch figure out who he was and bring the killer to justice?

I was looking forward to seeing Harry tackle a cold case, figuring we’d get some interesting twists along the way. Sadly, I was disappointed by the plot, which often gets oversh
Who would you cast to play Harry Bosch? 12 111 Sep 30, 2019 07:22AM
Crime, Mysteries ...: City of Bones (Harry Bosch #8) - April 2019 15 33 Apr 29, 2019 02:36AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add details 3 11 Oct 03, 2018 09:57AM
Goodreads Librari...: page number 6 23 Sep 05, 2018 04:06AM
Play Book Tag: City of Bones by Michael Connelly - 3*** 1 12 Jun 05, 2018 09:13AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question G 16 12 Jan 23, 2017 10:32AM

• Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6, Will Robie, #5.5)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • Past Tense (Jack Reacher, #23)
  • The Gods of Guilt (Lincoln Lawyer): by Michael Connelly -- Sidekick
  • Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine, #1)
  • The Guardians
  • One Good Deed (Archer, #1)
  • Masked Prey (Lucas Davenport, #30)
  • Eyes of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #3)
  • The Fallen (Amos Decker, #4)
  • The Fix (Amos Decker, #3)
  • 24: Life Stories and Lessons from the Say Hey Kid
  • Blindside (Michael Bennett, #12)
  • The Last Mile (Amos Decker, #2)
  • Shadow Prey (Lucas Davenport, #2)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache

Harry Bosch (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #1)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #3)
  • The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #4)
  • Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5; Harry Bosch Universe, #6)
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #7)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #9)
  • Lost Light (Harry Bosch, #9; Harry Bosch Universe, #11)
  • The Narrows (Harry Bosch, #10; Harry Bosch Universe, #13)
  • The Closers (Harry Bosch, #11; Harry Bosch Universe, #14)