Start by marking “Dark Tribute (Eve Duncan, #24)” as Want to Read:
Dark Tribute (Eve Duncan, #24)

Dark Tribute

(Eve Duncan #24)

New York Times bestseller Iris Johansen is back with another high octane thriller that will leave your mind racing and your heart pounding.

Despite her tragic childhood, violin prodigy Cara Delaney has finally found peace in her career as a professional musician and stability in her relationship with her guardians, forensic sculptor Eve Duncan and ex-Navy SEAL Joe Quinn. I
Published March 26th 2019 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Dark Tribute, please sign up.

Kat Valentine
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fabulous adventure from the amazingly Iris Johansen!! I love this series so much,so many awesome characters and a great storyline that keeps you on the edge of your seat with so many twist's and turns.. Johansen knows how to writer a totally thrilling tale and her villains are so evil ,but they are no match for eve and all those who inhabit her world !! This is mostly about jock and cara,when cara gets kidnapped by one of her grandfather's enemies it's jock and Joe Quinn to the rescue,bu ...more
Donna Hines
You can never go wrong with Iris Johansen as she always entices readers from start to finish with her incredibly moving novels that will thrill then chill then set you on a path to pure adrenaline fight or flight responses.
In Dark Tribute she once again doesn't disappoint as Cara Delaney thought she found her perfect life.
She has an awesome career a nice loving relationship with her guardians (Eve and Joe) but what is missing is romance with Jock.
Her lifelong friend won't give her the time of
Jessica
#21 Night and Day - ★★★★☆
#22 Mind Game - ★★★★☆
#23 Shattered Mirror - ★★★★☆
Katherine
In fairness to the author this is the 24th bookin the Eve Duncan series and I have not read any of the others. Also, in fairness to her, this is a review of an ARC. Both of these probably are responsible for the 2 star rating on this Eve Duncan adventure. In actuality, Eve Duncan did not play a very large part in the story but her son, Michael and her daughter, Cara were the two main characters--other than Cara's grandfather and the villain of the piece, an insane old adversary of his, Svardak.
w
Avidreader
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of the many characters in the Eve Duncan universe, Jock is one of my favorites and one that I wish they would explore more. Jock and Cara finally confront the nature of their relationship before it is threatened by someone from her grandfather's past. Michael becomes very protective of Joe, and he, Joe and Eve help Cara overcome the latest threat. I honestly knew from the moment they introduced Cara as a child that it was headed in this direction and I had issues with it at first. I do like the ...more
Marika Charalambous
I'm starting to get Eve Duncan fatigue from what I've noticed. Still a great book, but I was not as hooked on the story as before. I found the dialogue forced, and Michael, the kid, had such a rich vocabulary that even most adults don't speak the way he did in the book. No matter what kind of an old soul a child is, he still needs several Earth years to learn proper grammar, vocabulary, and speech. A preteen is simply not capable of speaking the way Michael spoke at times.

Full review at https://
Alasandra Alawine
When Cara is kidnapped by a psycho everyone rushes to save her but Cara has changed during her time with the madman and actually does a decent job of saving herself. Her only worry now is his threat to her family. When Joe is captured Cara works with her Grandfather to end the madman's life once and for all and bring Joe safely home. But it's Michael's special abilities that allow them to find Joe in time to save Joe's life.

Cara also manages to get Jock in her bed FINALLY.
Amanda
Jan 31, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I read by Iris. I know, I should start from the beginning of the series, but I won the giveaway.
Anyway, I'm not into "Godfather" type plots nor telepathy, so this book wasn't my cup of tea.
Beth Tilley
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book takes the series in a new direction - Jock and Cara's story - a thriller!
Sandy
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am over (and I know I said this in another review) of Cara's and if I've being honest every character in this book, saying "I have to protect the other", "it's my fault", "it's my job". This book could have had 50 less pages without that dialog. I'm suprised by Cara and Jock finally hooking up. So this probably means in the next book or two they will kill off Jock. Seems like this author likes to do that. If there was never another book in this series - I would be okay with it. Maybe a new ser ...more
Jennifer Olivas
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was waiting for this book to be released with such anticipation, and let me tell you, it did not disappoint! Cara and Jock are two of my all time favorite characters. They have been drawn to each other from the moment that they met. Both had horrific things happen to them in their childhood that have given them a bond that no one else truly understands. Jock was solely her protector when Cara was younger, but the years have only proven to strengthen their bond and increase their feelings for e ...more
Susan Swiderski
I'm pleased to say I won an ARC of this book through a Goodreads giveaway, and reading it felt like a reunion with old friends.

The earliest books in this series made me fall in love with this writer's ability to keep me on the proverbial edge of my seat, and her characters felt so real to me, I could hardly wait until the next book in the series was released. Then, I somehow lost interest about midway through the series, because the stories didn't seem quite as riveting or fresh anymore.

But this
Shari
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cara Delaney, the musical prodigy that Eve saved from a drug cartel, is in danger again. She is kidnapped by someone from her grandfather's past and her family rallies around her to help. Pretty much what I've come to expect from this series, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. I wasn't really surprised by anything that occurred. Seems like the same basic conflict. The dialogue also seems a bit forced. Certain things, such as referring to a person as a possession, have bothered me over t ...more
Althea Mason
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. It was filled with so many twists and turns and unforeseen events. I would say that the focus of the book is more on Cara and not so much Eve Duncan though as Eve is not really the main focus of the story, Cara is. The characters are evolving so much in this book and there is a lot being revealed about Michael. The relationship that is evolving between Cara and Jock is absolutely amazing. Iris Johansen does it again at the end where she dangles a carrot in front of ...more
Linda
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won an ARC of this latest Eve Duncan novel by Iris Johansen so I really wanted to like it. Unfortunately, the characters and the plot just weren't what I like to read. Other than Eve, Joe and sometimes Michael, I didn't like the characters. I am not a fan of damsels in distress (Cara), strong, silent heroes (Jock) or forever adversaries and villains like the grandfather and the kidnapper.

I looked back at my reading history because I wondered why I had entered the giveaway and I had read Eve
Cynthia
I won a copy of those book from Goodreads giveaways, I was not required to give a favorable review. This is one of those books that is so good you don't want to put it down but sometimes the intrigue is almost overwhelming. I loved it. Eve Duncan, her husband Joe, their on Michael are such a great family unit but they bring in other people into that family that may not be blood but might as well be. This time Michael is trying to bring Cara and Jock together in his own way but someone who is an ...more
Mark Mindel
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eve Duncan #24 is written solely by Iris Johansen (her son Roy and she collaborate on the Kendra Michaels novels). We concentrate here on her family: adopted daughter Cara is a celebrated violinist and her youngest son Michael yearns to see his famous sister. He plots to get her to return home to Atlanta to have her meet her on-again, off-again boyfriend, Jock (is he an assassin?). As she returns home she is kidnapped. Perhaps someone from her grandfather's (he's a Russian crime lord) past is in ...more
Beth Blough
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Eve Duncan winner

Many times when writing series the characters become boringly predictable but Joe and Eve, Jock and Cara even Michael they get better with time. I love that they still live and grow in the author's heart and when she writes we get to take them out for a spin for awhile. This spin does not disappoint with its twists and turns, its strong female characters and it's very human side as we puzzle through the well captured waves of emotions. Thank you Iris Johansen for another
Elis Madison
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty good read and mostly up to this author's high standards. There are a few odd logical issues, though, like the villain putting the heroine in handcuffs before ordering her to clean herself up and CHANGE SHIRTS. I generally dislike paranormal fiction but the author handles the paranormal elements in this series well, blending the extraordinary with the ordinary, and allowing many of the characters to express some skepticism about it all. On the whole I am enjoying this series, and I've al ...more
Joan
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Violence erupts when a mysterious man . . . one of Sergai Kaskov’s many enemies . . . kidnaps Cara Delaney. Will her family find a way to rescue her or has Cara become another victim of her grandfather’s dark past?

With all the expected characters in place, this sometimes-grim tale offers readers a twisty plot, unrelenting suspense, unexpected reveals, and a stunning game-changer. The twenty-fourth in the Eve Duncan series, the tension-filled narrative is sure to please readers of the series.

Rec
Kelly Borders
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the Eve Duncan series and all of the characters. If you have read the series, then the characters make more sense. If you are jumping in at book 24, then the actions and reactions of the characters will make no sense. I did enjoy the book, though it wasn't my favorite in the series. I does, however, bring new personality and boldness to Cara and some interesting insights into Michael. If you follow the series, it is definitely worth the read.
Nikki Matthews
Thanks to St Martin’s press for my free advance reader copy of this book. This is quite a dark thriller with an interesting plot and a lot of back story. This was my first Iris Johansson novel and I think I struggled at times by not having the prior knowledge about the characters that was at times referenced, and is probably in previous books. I did enjoy it, but at times wished I just knew a little more background.
Barbara Lack
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so intense! There’s action, suspense, mystery and so many feelings. It’s incredibly angsts. I love the interactions between Jock and Cara. Their relationship has grown into something much more. We really get to see a new side to Michael. I was on the edge of my seat frantically turning the pages as fast as I could. This left a huge book hangover.
Emilie Davis
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

Johansen has done it again with this intricate story of hate, love and revenge. The characters are sharply drawn as is the plot which will give every day people night terrors for years to come. Meeting returning characters especially the now 10 year old Michael who will steal your heart is always welcomed. Kudos to the master of Suspense.
Linda Isnard
I am a big Iris Johansen fan and anxiously awaited this latest installment in her Eve Duncan series. I must say for the first time I was disappointed in this book and it did not capture my attention as the others. The character dialogue is often stilted and lengthy to the point of distraction. The book also lacks Eve’s forensic sculpting as a central plot point.
Robin
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark Tribute picks up the story approximately 10 years in the future from her last novel, with this one focusing on Cara Delaney, the young violin prodigy rescued in a prior novel. The plot is filled with twists and fast-paced action. I'm looking forward to her next novel, and continuing the story of Eve and Joe's young son, who played an integral role with his gifts.
Tina Welsh
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful novel by Johansen. Cara is a violinist with a troubled past. She was brought into the family by Eve and Joe after being on the run. She was trained in New York and is now doing her own concerts. Her grandfather is a Russia mobster. In this book her grandfathers past is coming to get her. Jock, Joe, Eve and Michael come to the rescue.
Dorothy
Jock and Caras story has been developing over time in to a will they won’t they. It was great to find that Cara tapping her inner super powers. The story was too formulaic in the beginning and not one of my favorite Iris Johansen books but he can’t stop now. Michael is growing up and in to his own uniqueness. He, Jock and Cara would be a phenomenal team. Looking forward to the next book.
Kathleen Babb
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read all the Eve Duncan novels as well as the spin offs. I love the characters which combine love, family, mystery, thrill and excitement. Always entertaining and hard to put down once you start one of her books.
Gloria Zak
Wanted to rate higher but all of this activity was a little bit incredulous. I gave up on this series some time ago but thought I would try again. It was fun to get reacquainted with the main characters and I love Eve. But the story just was far beyond believable to me.
  • The Last Second (A Brit in the FBI, #6)
  • Under Currents
  • Tightrope (Burning Cove, #3)
  • Backlash: Tender Trap / Aftermath
  • The Fifth Doctrine (The Guardian #3)
  • Toxic Game (GhostWalkers, #15)
  • The Beyond (Devil's Isle, #4)
  • Stone Cold Heart (Tracers #13)
  • Vendetta in Death (In Death #49)
  • Your Lion Eyes (Alphaville, #2)
  • A Witch to Remember (A Wishcraft Mystery, #9)
  • Never Tell (Detective D.D. Warren #10)
  • Running on Empty (Havoc, #3)
  • Roughing (Crossing the Line, #3)
  • Blood Oath (Alexandra Cooper, #20)
  • Baby and Ballistics (Handcrafted Mysteries, #4)
  • Unknown (Alpha Pack, #9)
  • Taken (Deep Ops, #1.5)
Iris Johansen is a New York Times bestselling author. She began her writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great su ...more

Eve Duncan (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Face of Deception (Eve Duncan, #1)
  • The Killing Game (Eve Duncan, #2)
  • The Search (Eve Duncan, #3)
  • Body of Lies (Eve Duncan, #4)
  • Blind Alley (Eve Duncan, #5)
  • Countdown (Eve Duncan, #6)
  • Stalemate (Eve Duncan, #7)
  • Quicksand (Eve Duncan, #8)
  • Blood Game (Eve Duncan, #9)
  • Eight Days To Live (Eve Duncan, #10)