Start by marking “One Simple Thing: A New Look at the Science of Yoga and How It Can Transform Your Life” as Want to Read:

A pragmatic and succinct introduction to the purposes and benefits of yoga--philosophical, physiological, mental, and spiritual--and how practice affects the body/mind to realize those purposes and benefits

Yoga is reputed to improve our physical and mental health, and to help us become more productive at work, more caring in relationships, and a more responsible
Published March 12th 2019 by North Point Press

To ask other readers questions about One Simple Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Simple Thing

Start your review of One Simple Thing: A New Look at the Science of Yoga and How It Can Transform Your Life
Kaye
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2019, yoga
This isn't a bad book, but I could not get on board with the simplification of yoga philosophy. First, to collapse the yamas and niyamas into "be nice" categories (although Stern does dip back into them later, in brief.) The other major issue with the philosophy was the popular concept of balancing the gunas. The gunas are tools to understanding, but the goal isn't to balance them. It is to transcend them. This is laid out clearly in the Bhagavad Gita. Sure, balancing them may be an easier, less ...more
Irene
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga
It’s all about the vagus nerve, baby.

One Simple Thing by ashtanga practitioner, Eddie Stern, investigates why yoga seems to work. Yoga poses don’t have to be done well or right for people to feel good, yet it’s still different from the feeling you get after an aerobics work-out. Stern explores the science behind yoga and how it is an “effective practice for nervous self-regulation” , making a good case for understanding how exactly yoga helps our mind, body and breath through the vagus nerve.

Duncan Reed
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, spirituality
Eddie Stern brings together many of the concepts and practices of yoga, and explains, in a very easy to understand way, how they work scientifically. Definitely worth reading.
Anastasiya Mozgovaya
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
wow! this is definitely one of the best and the most important books i have read this year.

its title does a great job at clarifying what the book is about, so i won`t go that way. i will simply say that if you are eager to know more about your well-being and are willing to make some changes, this is a must-read. it is complex and complicated, but definitely worth the efforts.
Mafalda  Farioli
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What to say... Eddie Stern is my teacher. He’s an inspiration. Reading this book is like to be at one of his conferences or yoga therapy classes. This book is like a first brick that will help us to grow in our personal journey. Thanks for sharing all your intuitions, knowledge and love.
Alex Boon
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
If you've read quite a few yoga books or are quite familiar with the theory behind why yoga works, most of what is in here will not surprise you. I thought the structure of the book could be hugely improved by integrating the huge "info-dump" of the second section into earlier chapters. I was hoping for a bit more integration of philosophy and science rather than "this" then "that". I came away from it a bit unconvinced, even though there's some great passages in here that I highlighted in my ...more
Brieanne Tanner
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nice balance of science and spirituality. All aspects of yoga philosophy, Ayurveda, Science and Anatomy, and practices (including meditation and asana) are covered. I would recommend it for a well seasoned practitioner or the 300/500 level of yoga teacher training. One needs to know basic concepts of yoga before reading this in order to comprehend everything and experienced and lived their yoga, for the words to resonate.
Srinivasan Ashley
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fresh approach to Raja and Hatha Yoga. Great compilation of scientific studies on physical, mental and brain health in relation to a balance classical yoga practice. Yoga provides tools for optimal health and self-actualization and this book gives good evidence for how yoga works from a scientific perspective.
Charles
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If yoga is of any interest to you, then this is book for you. Not only does he provide a thorough overview of yoga principles, he situates them in scientific terms in a remarkable, long final chapter. In fact, the scientific chapter is nearly a stand-alone read if the earlier chapters are already part of the reader's toolbox.
Gail Grossman
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading yoga philosophy books for over 20 years. This book offers some omderful AHA moments. The title says it all! Eddie Stern took an otherwisechallenging topic and made it simpler to understand. I want to incorporate this book in the teacher trainings I lead!
Chloe Scallion
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Beautiful advice, insight and research but often a bit out of touch. Maybe it's just me but is the impulse to over-practice really that prevalent to be so covered in this book? How does yoga heal smokers?
Hailey
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful companion for those just delving into the philosophy and practice of yoga.
Denise Martin
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great reminder of everything learned in yoga teacher training. Concise and to the point.
Stephydmd
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Some interesting facts about yoga’s ability to calm the autonomic nervous system via poses, breathing, and meditation.
Ellen
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I’ve been a yoga convert for just over a year. This book makes sense of some of the remarkable, immediate, positive effects of yoga on every part of my life. A great read.
Kate Goodyear
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good information but redundant.
Silvia Rodriguez
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting, it invites you to read it again and again.
Heather
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was good but not enough to renew it again from the library to finish.
Krissie Bentley
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book so inspiring. It gave me the framework to discuss yogic concepts with both my yoga students and my therapy clients. Highly recommended!
Molecule
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The most comprehensive book on yoga I read so far. Scientific part adds an immense value to the whole yoga philosophy and our understanding of how mind-body are working and how yoga acts on it.
Daniel Kelly
Aug 20, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Yoga Folks: One Simple Thing Whole Book 1 9 Jul 30, 2019 07:53AM
Yoga Folks: One Simple Thing First Half of Book 2 13 Jul 18, 2019 08:31AM
Yoga Folks: This topic has been closed to new comments. One Simple Thing is July Group Read 3 26 Jul 05, 2019 06:30PM

• Ageless: A Yogi's Secrets to a Long and Healthy Life
  • On Being Human: A Memoir of Waking Up, Living Real, and Listening Hard
  • Yoga and the Quest for the True Self
  • Revolution of the Soul: Awaken to Love Through Raw Truth, Radical Healing, and Conscious Action
  • How We Get Free: Black Feminism and the Combahee River Collective
  • Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life
  • Ain't I a Woman: Black Women and Feminism
  • The Grammarians
  • Bringing Yoga to Life: The Everyday Practice of Enlightened Living
  • Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga
  • Mezzotint
  • Light on Life
  • Krishnamacharya: His Life and Teachings
  • How to Skimm Your Life
  • When I Grow Up I Want to Be a List of Further Possibilities
  • Soil, Soul, Society: A New Trinity for Our Time
  • Ashtanga Yoga: Practice and Philosophy
  • An Elegant Puzzle: Systems of Engineering Management
“Melodic, pleasant vocalization, such as humming, chanting the sound of om, or the ujjayi and brahmari pranayamas help to tone the vagus nerve. At least one study, done at the Nepal Medical College in Kathmandu in 2010 has shown that five minutes of practicing brahmari pranayama is effective in lowering heart rate, systolic blood pressure, and most significantly, diastolic blood pressure, which is the measure of pressure in the arteries as the heart rests between beats.7 This is when the heart fills with blood and gets oxygen.” 0 likes
“The answer that yoga gives is that the mind is a neutral field in which experiences occur or are perceived. It can expand and contract to fill any space, however big or small; for example, it can expand to contemplate the nature of the universe, with its billions of galaxies and trillions of stars, or it can contract to focus on a single atom, a single cell, or the lightest sensation of touch where the breath leaves the tip of the nostrils.” 0 likes