Start by marking “Miracle Creek” as Want to Read:

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  29,972 ratings  ·  4,741 reviews
How far will you go to protect your family? Will you keep their secrets? Ignore their lies?

In a small town in Virginia, a group of people know each other because theyre part of a special treatment center, a hyperbaric chamber that may cure a range of conditions from infertility to autism. But then the chamber explodes, two people die, and its clear the explosion wasnt an
Published April 16th 2019 by Sarah Crichton Books

Availability: 15 copies available, 11758 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 26 - Apr 07, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Miracle Creek, please sign up.
    Angie Kim Not sure how fair it is for me to answer because I'm the author, so of course I'm going to say "keep on reading!" (haha). But I've been trying to read…moreNot sure how fair it is for me to answer because I'm the author, so of course I'm going to say "keep on reading!" (haha). But I've been trying to read all the reviews, good or bad, and some of the readers have said that it took them a while to get into it, especially because there are so many characters to get to know, but that the second half and the ending are what made them love it. I hope this is helpful, and I hope that readers will chime in!(less)
    This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
    Angie Kim
    This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  29,972 ratings  ·  4,741 reviews

Start your review of Miracle Creek
    Chaima ✨ شيماء
    Where this book lands, it will doubtless leave a bruise.

After I finished, I sat there a long time, like a bolt-struck tree seared to its roots. My thoughts would not settle on the well-worn words. I felt as if I needed to do something, but I didnt know what. A tight, reluctant ache might have eased about my heart ever since, but the impression of the event of Miracle Creek is burned indelibly upon it.

So, whats about?

The Yoos, an immigrant family from Korea, conduct hyperbaric oxygen therapy
    Emily May
    Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Or perhaps the newspapers were right. Perhaps Elizabeth had been desperate to get rid of her son, and now that he was dead, she finally had a measure of peace. Perhaps she had been a monster all along.

I had to take some time away to really process this book. It wasn't easy. Miracle Creek absolutely ripped my heart out. It's a fantastic, utterly thrilling courtroom drama; it's a mystery, perhaps a murder mystery; and alongside these things, it's also a powerful character study that examines
    Chelsea Humphrey
    Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Recommended to Chelsea by: Emily May
    "But that was the way life worked. Every human being was the result of a million different factors mixing together... Good things and bad-every friendship and romance formed, every accident, every illness-resulted from the conspiracy of hundreds of little things, in and of themselves inconsequential."

Oh boy. Where do I begin? It's quite possible that this book means so much to me because it's my unicorn-the perfect fit for this reader-and that may make my review a bit biased, so please keep that
    Felicia
    May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    ______________________

This book. OMG THIS BOOK.

FUCK THIS BOOK.

FUCK THIS FUCKING BOOK.

FUCK THIS BUTTERFLY EFFECT OF A BOOK.

FUCK THIS BOOK for keeping me awake for 3 nights in a row.

FUCK THIS BOOK for giving me palpitations.

FUCK THIS BOOK for making me swallow my words when I said I wasn't a fan of courtroom dramas.

FUCK THIS BOOK for claiming the top spot on my Book of the Year list so that there is really no reason to read another.

FUCK ALL OF Y'ALL for pressuring me to read this FUCKING BOOK
    Melissa
    Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
    More than just a mystery or courtroom drama, Angie Kims debut reaches deep, capturing the hearts and minds of readers with its humanistic approach to life and self. Well-written and emotionally charged, Miracle Creek is a harrowing tale sure to resonate with readers of all backgrounds, parent or not. Through a diverse cast of characters, Kim examines the lofty expectations, sacrifices, and social ideals that shape the lives we come to lead. And, arguably more important, the strength it takes to ...more
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    5 billion heart wrenching, epic, poignant stars!
    How far you go to protect your childrens lives?Can you dedicate your whole life for their well being? Is it fair to push them so hard for their treatment?
    There are so many questions make you rethink your principles of your life as you read this book.
    Elizabeth is accused to kill her own child. Young witnesses her own child slowly vanishes from her arms and turns into a stranger. Teresa does everything for well being of her child but shes at the
    Deanna
    Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it

My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

4.5 Stars!!

I REALLY enjoyed this audiobook. I read quite a few positive reviews and I was really intrigued. I couldnt decide whether to read the book or listen but it popped up on Audible one day so I thought I would give it a try.

Im really glad I did.

This interesting story gripped me right from the start. Ive read quite a few courtroom dramas and sometimes they can really drag on, but I didnt find that with Miracle
    Meredith
    May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Lies, lies, and more lies lead to tragedy in Miracle Creek.

An experimental form of treatment for autism, cerebral palsy, and infertility leads to a horrific crime that results in the death of a mother and a child. One woman is on trial for murder--one of the victims was her son. She may or may not be guilty of committing this horrific crime.

Miracle Creek presents multiple perspectives from those who were part of the tragedy. All of them have secrets. All of them are lying. Is the
    jessica
    Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    wow wow wow wow wow. this novel is phenomenally gripping in every way possible. there is absolutely no doubt in my mind as to why this is getting so much hype, and deservedly so.

i hate to be one of those people that liken authors to each other (because every author is their own person, with their own talents), but this novel is very reminiscent of the storytelling of celeste ng, jodi picoult, and liane moriarty. with skilled execution of tangled family secrets, emotionally compelling portrayal
    j e w e l s
    Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    FIVE MIC-DROP, WALK-AWAY STARS

Angie Kim has done the impossible. In one book, she offers something for EVERYONE. If you love to read literary fiction, mystery, women's issues, immigrant stories, or courtroom dramas--please, do yourself a favor and read MIRACLE CREEK. I will be thinking about this one for a long time.

There are so many themes in this sparkling novel, I don't know where to begin. If you've read Big Little Lies or Everything I Never Told You---then you know what I'm talking about!
    Paromjit
    Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Angie Kim's literary courtroom drama is a phenomenal debut about the demands and challenges of being a parent of a child on the autistic spectrum or is disabled, about marriage, about being Korean and the transitional pains of being an immigrant in the US, about family, and about how far you will go to protect your child. In the small town of Miracle Creek in Virginia, Pak and Young Yoo run an experimental treatment, the Miracle Submarine, a pressurised oxygen chamber where patients take ...more
    Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
    Celeste Ng fans, you need to pick this up!

After the explosion of the experimental medical treatment device that killed 2 people, a trial shakes a small community.

This book follows a Korean immigrant family, the accused mother of an autistic child that died during the tragedy and other people present during the event.

This mystery is more of a "slice of life" contemporary where you discover everyone's secrets as you figure out what really happened.

If you enjoyed the writing of Little Fires
    Norma * Traveling Sister and proud Grandma!!!
    Riveting, affecting, & vivid!

Wowza! I absolutely LOVED this and think all the buzz surrounding this book is so well deserved and warranted.

MIRACLE CREEK by ANGIE KIM is a poignant, moving, gripping, powerful, captivating and absolutely stunning debut novel that captured my attention and heart right from the very first page. I was immediately drawn into this murder mystery and found it so irresistibly unputdownable.

ANGIE KIM delivers a fascinating, suspenseful, interesting, engaging and
    Liz
    Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This fascinating debut novel covers all the bases - family drama, mystery, courtroom drama. A Korean couple opens an alternative health clinic that provides HBOT - hyperbaric oxygenation, which is supposed to help with autism, infertility, CP and other health problems. On a day that protesters have gathered outside the facility, it explodes. The same day one of the mothers chooses not to accompany her autistic son into the chamber. The same day the couple are both away from the controls of the
    Elyse  Walters
    Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Wow... another great Kindle deal $3.99.
    Heck, Id buy this enjoyable book myself for a few of my friends at that price. Its ENJOYABLE!
    Im once again reminded of the advantages of owning a kindle - ( I like physical books too)... but hard to beat the many sale price deals found on Kindle)....
    Plus.. reading is faster and easier on the eyes for some of us old farts!

UNIQUE FUN READ!!

Ha...old review:

Long ... but no spoilers!!!!

Great Balls of FIRE....
    ...literally and figuratively...
    From the first
    Brenda -Traveling Sister
    The Traveling Friends had such a great evening with Angie Kim who spend two hours with us discussing Miracle Creek. She answered our questions and shared some insight into the story, herself and her writing process. We could feel her passion for her reader's insight into the story as well.

No hype from us here we just want to share the love for this story and Angie Kim who is a truly amazing and gracious author!!

YAHOO!!! Our June Traveling Friends
    Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
    The hype is real- this book is GOOD! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Miracle Creek takes place in a small Virginia town of the same name. Young and Pak Yoo are the owners of an experimental treatment called the Miracle Submarine, which is a pressurized oxygen chamber. Its dives are believed to be therapeutic for autism among other disabilities or conditions.

The Miracle Submarine mysteriously exploded, and two people are killed. This small town is transformed forever.

At first, its unclear who the suspect or suspects
    marilyn
    added on 2/22/2019 Below on what should be post 12 is a link to an article the author wrote that details her son's experience with hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Thank you to Teresa for pointing out this article.

Miracle Creek, by Angie Kim, was a book that I didn't want to put down because the author made me care about these people who are nothing like me. It's the story of Korean immigrants, Young and Pak Yoo, who run the Miracle Submarine, a pressurized oxygen chamber that is used by young
    Debra

My husband asked me to lie. Not a big lie. He probably didnt even consider it a lie, and neither did I, at first . . .

I'll be honest, when I first read the blurb, I thought a book about a "miracle submarine"? Seriously, a miracle submarine. Come on. Now I will admit, I am open minded when it comes to reading and anyone that follows my reviews knows I will read just about anything, but this sounded kooky to me. But it wasn't. It was bliss. I thoroughly enjoyed this book!!!!!!

In
    Julie
    Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Miracle Creek by Angie Kim is a 2019 Sarah Crichton Books publication.

Fantastic! Lived up to the hype

Everyone knows I love a good courtroom drama, so this book was highly recommended to me by some of my GRs peers. But, try as I might, the book just wasnt calling out to me when it was first released. So, I waited for the right mood, and I think my instincts paid off this time.

In a small Virginia town, a Korean couple have set up a Hyperbaric chamber on their land, which draws in a group of
    Diane S ☔
    Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: lor-2019
    How far are you willing to go for your child? That is the heart of the question of this terrific debut novel. It opens with s court case where a mother of a child on the spectrum stands accused of setting a fire that caused a fatal explosion. Her son one of those that died, but another mother was also killed. A hyperbaric chamber, called the submarine, offering parents the hope that the pure oxygen atmosphere will help their mentally challenged children. Also, involved is a man whose wife has ...more
    Beata
    Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    When I requested this title, I had no idea what to expect. After eading Miracle Creek I know one thing: I'll follow Angie Kim and reach out for her next book.
    Miracle Creek is a courtroom drama and a thiller telling a story of an explosion that kills a child and an adult, and leaves several people injured. The tragic circumstance is that Miracle Submarine provides an unconventional treatment for several chronic diseases, autism among others, and is operated by Korean immigrant family who, having
    Katie B
    Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Super impressed with this debut novel! It's a solid mystery/courtroom drama in which there are so many suspects you really aren't really sure who is guilty or what exactly happened until the very end. The author masterfully weaves some complex issues into the story which just take the book to a higher level than most others in the genre.

The Miracle Submarine is a pressurized oxygen chamber run by Young and Pak Yoo. It's a controversial and experimental treatment for patients hoping to cure such
    Lindsay - Traveling Sister
    3.5 stars. Phenomenal writing, mediocre storyline.

The hype, the hype, the hype - thats what pulled me toward this book.

The synopsis alone didnt appeal to me. It was the countless outstanding reviews (and the Traveling Friends who added as a group read) that enticed me to pick this up. Im happy that I read it and I truly think it was excellent writing, especially for a debut novel. For me, the plot had a strong start that slowly fizzled out as the story progressed. It didnt keep my curiosity
    Susanne  Strong
    Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    4.25 Stars.

Actions always have consequences. Their impact is everlasting. The characters in Angie Kims Miracle Creek are reeling from them.

Pak is new the proprietor of Miracle Submarine, an HBOT facility providing hyperbaric oxygenation to those with serious health issues (such as infertility and autism) for which it has been proven to provide speed healing.

One day during a night session with protesters outside, the submarine ignites and explodes. Tragedy strikes. Neither Pak or his wife Young,
    Debbie
    Law and Order with metaphors, yum yum yum!

Ill take a little Law and Order, please, with a side of metaphors. Thats my way of saying this a tasty courtroom drama that is literary as all get-out.

This book doesnt start with a slow simmer, oh no. Instantly, Im all ears, scowling and fascinated. WTF? Is this sci-fi? (Heart beating a little irregularly because do I really want to read sci-fi?) Its all deliciously mysterious at first, and a few pages in, I read:

Sweat dampened my face, and I thought
    Larry H
    Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    If you've ever watched one of the many iterations of the Law & Order series on television, you know that every episode follows a similar pattern, at least at the startan incident occurs, every sign points to a particular perpetrator, everyone starts to wonder if they've caught the right person, and as the story veers to its conclusion you're not sure exactly what is going to happen.

This is exactly how I felt reading Angie Kim's debut novel, Miracle Creek , a story that seemed so clear-cut
    *TUDOR^QUEEN*
    Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
    Thank you to the publisher Hodder & Stoughton who provided an advance reader copy via NetGalley.

I decided to read this after noticing what seemed like a tsunami of stellar early reviews on Goodreads. My initial instincts told me that I wasn't interested in this story, and perhaps I should have listened to them. Most of my Goodreads friends love murder mysteries, police procedurals and courtroom dramas, but those are not my genres of interest.

This is a story of a Korean family consisting of
    Michelle
    Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This was such a satisfying legal thriller and I am astounded that this is a debut. Everyone needs to keep their eye on Angie Kim.

This is a book where every player has a secret and because of that I'm not going to discuss the plot. You will want to open this book blindly and just let yourself become immersed in the story. I'll admit in the beginning I was nervous. I wasn't really getting "it" and I almost put it back down again. The problem was that I wasn't able to keep the characters straight
    sue
    Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Oh my

When I ordered this book it was because of the blurb. Then I started to read peoples reviews (in part as I didnt want to spoil my read)
    What I didnt expect was me opening my package, flicking through it at the kitchen table one morning as Im eating my toast and then realising Im on page 90!

HBOT - hyperbaric oxygenation Is a new method of helping or curing certain ailments. Its a chamber you go in and certain actions need to be followed. The dives were an hour long. People had faith
    Ladies & Literature: * Official February 2020 Book Discussion: Miracle Creek 8 10 19 hours, 3 min ago
    Chillys 4 life: Miracle Creek: A Novel 26 5 Mar 03, 2020 05:36AM

• The Family Upstairs
    • The Night Before
    • Such a Fun Age
    • Dear Edward
    Angie Kim is the author of the national bestseller Miracle Creek, named a "Best Book of the Year" by Time and Amazon, a Washington Post Bestseller and Summer Read pick, and a Top 10 Apple Books Debut of the Year. Kim is one of Variety Magazines 10 Storytellers to Watch, and has written for Vogue, The New York Times, The Washington Post, Glamour, Salon, and Slate. She moved from Seoul, Korea, to ...more

Articles featuring this book

Because the Goodreads Editors love books just as much as our readers do, we decided to share some of the titles we can't stop talking a...
    “In a way, he supposed, it was inevitable for immigrants to become child versions of themselves, stripped of their verbal fluency and, with it, a layer of their competence and maturity.” 20 likes
    “But that was the way life worked. Every human being was the result of a million different factors mixing together -- one of a million sperm arriving at the egg at exactly a certain time; even a millisecond off, and another entirely different person would result. Good things and bad--every friendship and romance formed, every accident, every illness--resulted from the conspiracy of hundreds of little things, in and of themselves inconsequential.” 12 likes