Start by marking “Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones” as Want to Read:
Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones

Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  57,606 ratings  ·  5,220 reviews
No matter your goals, Atomic Habits offers a proven framework for improving--every day. James Clear, one of the world's leading experts on habit formation, reveals practical strategies that will teach you exactly how to form good habits, break bad ones, and master the tiny behaviors that lead to remarkable results.

If you're having trouble changing your habits, the problem
Published October 16th 2018 by Avery

To ask other readers questions about Atomic Habits, please sign up.
James Clear Great question! I'm a fan of Duhigg's book and I think he did a great job. I tried to build upon his framework (in addition to the work of many other…moreGreat question! I'm a fan of Duhigg's book and I think he did a great job. I tried to build upon his framework (in addition to the work of many other scientists and researchers) and develop a practical framework that anyone can apply.

Here's what a few readers have said about the differences...

"[Atomic Habits] seems a LOT more practical and focused on guiding people on how to actually make changes. Power of Habit is more journalistic, though it does have the appendix at the back that talks about how to implement habit changes."

Source (see comments): https://www.instagram.com/p/BokCUOGFLdJ/

"The most impactful book I've ever read about habits was The Power of Habit... and then Atomic Habits came along. James takes everything I loved about The Power of Habit and expands on it here. The book is chock full of real, practical, and actional advice anyone can take to add more good habits and tweak bad habits over the long term."

Source: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-re...
(less)
James Clear Good question. I know it requires patience, but I tend to recommend focusing on one at a time.

Some habit experts will say you can work on 2-3 habits…more

Some habit experts will say you can work on 2-3 habits at once, but that only works if they are *really* small. For example, meditating for 60 seconds and doing 10 pushups after you wake up. Those are simple enough that you might be able to handle both each day. But I still tend to recommend focusing on one for a few months, mastering it and making it the new normal, and then advancing.

Another note that is related to this: habits often come in bundles. That is, when you want to change one behavior you may be forced to change related behaviors. So you may have to change a few habits at the same time.

For example, say you want to start the "habit" of cooking more meals at home and eating out less. To do this, you may have to change your grocery shopping habits, meal planning habits, dish cleaning habits, and others. This is another reason I recommend focusing on one change at a time: often, a single change has a lot more built into it than it appears at first glance.(less)

·  57,606 ratings  ·  5,220 reviews

Start your review of Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
Simon
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book does a great job of laying down the framework of how habits are formed, and shares insightful strategies for building good habits and breaking bad ones. Even though I was already familiar with research behind habit formation, reading through this book helped me approach habits I’m trying to adopt or break in my own life from different angles.

But the book suffers from the same problems that seem to plague all self-help books. In the chapter about tracking habits, the author shares an
Annie
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommend
Before starting this book, write down some good habits you want to build and some bad habits you want to break. This book is filled with practical steps and examples. Yes, there are plenty of habit-building books out there (just as there are plenty of diet books but yet there are still more new books published every year). Plenty of people are seeking the right book that resonates with them. The key points in this book are:
* Compound Effect - Very small changes over time will have a big impact.
Kaytlin
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway yesterday and immediately settled down to read it. I am always very skeptical of self help books because they often do no get to the root of issues. This one did. James Clear's main arguments are that habits are the compound interest of self improvement and that your identify emerges out of your habits. So, you must expereince a shift in identity for your habits to hold. This made a lot of sense to me, but I do think that Clear should have addresses ...more
Hampus Jakobsson
TLDR;
- "You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems."
- The best way of building a habit is making it part of your identity.
- Make it easy to start: Habits are the entry point - not the goal. "Read 30 books" "Read before bed every night" "Read one page". Reduce a habit into a 2-minute first step.
- Stick to the plan: "Professionals stick to the schedule, amateurs let life get in the way." Don't be a "fair weather runner" if you want to run a lot.
- Make it
abigailscupoftea
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My 2019 girl boss recommendation.

“Habits do not restrict freedom. They create it. Building habits in the present allows you to do more of what you want in the future.”

This book has helped me build a more productive morning routine and I love it! Being a morning person has always been a struggle for me, but this book gives you very clear and very easy steps to create the life you’ve always imagined.
When going through your daily habits, ask yourself, “Does this habit cast a vote for or against
David Laing
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
In an episode of the North Star Podcast with David Perrell, the software entrepreneur Daniel Gross said something that I thought was very wise:

The definition of a habit, for me, is something that doesn’t require willpower. How can I build a large collection of habits that are healthy—that are correct—and save them to RAM in my head so that I don’t have to think about them? I would like to have that done by the end of my 20s. I’d like to be in a good place in terms of body composition, in terms
Romanas
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a dual review of two books about habit. Habits are important things in one’s life and there are numerous books on the subject. The classic book, a must read, is The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey. Another two popular books about habits are The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg and Atomic Habits by James Clear, that came out very recently. Having read all three of them I combined my notes for the last two in this post. No matter what stage in life you are, it is ...more
Acordul Fin
“The more pride you have in a particular aspect of your identity, the more motivated you will be to maintain the habits associated with it. If you’re proud of how your hair looks, you’ll develop all sorts of habits to care for and maintain it. If you’re proud of the size of your biceps, you’ll make sure you never skip an upper-body workout. If you’re proud of the scarves you knit, you’ll be more likely to spend hours knitting each week. Once your pride gets involved, you’ll fight tooth and
Mark Kater
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is what I expected "The power of habit" to be. Where TPOH mostly is a collection of stories/anecdotes, Atomic Habits actually goes over practical ways of implementing your own system. It's great! Here's to stop reading and to start doing... :)
Britt / Basically Britt
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Randomly started listening to this one because I'm trying to get out of my reading slump and I reaaaally enjoyed it! Some tips were super helpful!
Mehrsa
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is basically reinforcement for Duhigg's books on habits. There is some good advice--get rid of obstacles, use cues of things you like to do with things you need to do (i.e., everytime you check facebook, do pushups or whatever). It's good advice, but nothing new or unique.
Les
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was enlightened by "Willpower" and got some great takeaways from "The Power of Habit", but this is next-level in terms of practical steps and also generating pivotal mental shifts both for the immediate and long terms. Important note: it gets better with each successive chapter - something critical to know since the opening is understandably crucial to the author, but not so much to many readers. Read it.
Matias Andina
Jan 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Reading this book feels like reading a homework assignment. James Clear wanted to read a lot of books and make a summary of the concepts he would implement for self-improvement. He also made a point in improve himself in the most hacky way possible. Instead of keeping the summary as personal notes, he published it. The fact that the author boasts about being a writer only makes it worse. You can actually smell the cheap tools he uses to put words into text and build chapters out of thin air. I ...more
Laura Noggle
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this one much more than The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business, as it's more to the point.

Some great takeaways and excellent reminders. Each chapter succinctly summarized at the end, very quotable. Highly recommend.

1-Sentence-Summary: Atomic Habits is the definitive guide to break bad behaviors and adopt good ones in four steps, showing you how small, incremental, everyday routines compound and add up to massive, positive change over time (via Four Minute Books'
Stephen Lubin
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
8/10

Atomic Habits is a useful book. It’s a practical guide to identifying and changing your habits. It’s something you can actually put into practice in your life.
I think that all of the concepts in the book are good and useful to know but some of the action points I think are slightly oversimplified. If you take the action points in some chapters and modify them to your specific situation you can still apply most of them but you do have to do some critical thinking with the material.
I like
Farah Shamma
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is exactly what I needed to read. A perfect book on establishing habits and teaching your goals one tiny change after another through a personalized system.
Cindy Rollins
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Great book on habits especially as he comes at them from the power of micro-habits, something I have been a proponent of for a long time, especially for moms who don't ever get large chunks of time. Learning to value small moments to effect change is key for moms.
Mariana  Vieira
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is THE book for habit building and tracking. James Clear provides clear insights on various aspects regarding habits and the four laws are simple and easy to remember. Definitely recommend!
Sanjay Gautam
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I used to follow James email letters, so I knew already something about his philosophy. The first part of the book, where he talks about principles of habits ( in theory ), is the best, and I loved it. However, subsequent parts are about application of those principles, which are quite useful, but not mind blowing. Overall not bad.
Kaytee Cobb
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Goodness, I love habit reading. And this title definitely included some new ideas that I hadn't thought of before. I felt this was a short/easy read overall and truly inspired me to take a look at my habits and find ways to maximize the ones I want to encourage!
Yevgeniy Brikman
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
A clear, practical guide to developing good habits. The information in this book is fairly solid and worth reading for most people. My only concern is whether the information is presented in a way that is effective: that is, after reading this book, what percentage of people will actually change their behavior? I suppose this is the ultimate question of all self-improvement books, but I found that this one in particular, while effective at organizing and presenting information, didn't do it in ...more
Leah Nadeau
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fav-self-help
Impactful book, practical too which is nice. Great book on how to create of break habits.

I Atomic Habits useful as I did with the book Deep Work by Cal Newport in the sense that both are about improving productivity. Deep Work was more impactful to me though as some things in Atomic Habits were repeated from other books I've read like The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg. Power of Habit was more so the importance and impact habits have on you, as oppose to Atomic Habits which I found more
Katie (katieladyreads)
I would recommend this to fans of the Power of Habit, it was easy to read and quite interesting but nothing life changing.
Ali Spittel
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2020
I love how actionable the advice in this book is. There's no fluff -- just straight up information about habits. The psychological, scientific, and anecdotal evidence presented is great. I also love the chapter summaries -- great teaching tool! That being said, the constant plugging of his site and other products bothered me, this may have been more apparent in the audiobook though. All of the referenced links require you to sign up for his email list, which, as a content-creator I understand, ...more
Jay Pruitt
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it

I've read a number of books on how to form positive habits, including The Power of Habit by Duhigg, and in my opinion, Atomic Habits by Clear ranks as the best. It covers what could be considered as ideas of common sense, but presents these ideas in a well organized and logical way.

Basic concepts
Otis Chandler
Jan 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
Brian Johnson recommends
Kara
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Immediately want to flip back through it so I don't forget anything. Lots of practical advice, tons of references. Already putting it to use!

Interestingly, it contradicts "the willpower instinct" in a few places (e.g. re whether you should hide cues for bad habits). I wonder who is right? Likely subjective.

One drawback is that the author kept quoting the Dilbert guy in a role model way, which rubbed me the wrong way given his famous misogynistic rants... Not sure that's someone I really want to
Marta
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was excellent. Full of common sense advice on how to change your habits, one tiny step at a time. The ideas are simple and easy to follow, and he gives concrete examples and even templates for things like habit tracking and evaluating your habits. James Clear also explains the psychology behind his system, sprinkled with interesting, but not too many, real life examples.

For example, we are wired for immediate satisfaction, but most good habits have delayed gratification - so he suggests
Ahmad Abugosh
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are a lot of books on habits, but this is the best book on habits I've ever read! It breaks things down in a way that is based on research and actionable. A few things that stuck with me are:

1) Whenever you do a habit, you are casting a vote for the person you want to become
2) When you slip up, it's ok. You just have to make the next action you take, be one that is an action you want your ideal person to take
3) A 1% improvement a day, can lead to a 37x improvement at the end of the year!
Areej Abuali
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A book full of practical tips to help you get rid of bad habit and adopt good ones..enjoyable and to the point
7z Password Unlocker 1 4 Feb 18, 2020 05:24AM
Ladybug Podcast B...: * January Book: Atomic Habits by James Clear 13 146 Feb 13, 2020 07:12AM

• Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
  • Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams
  • Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope
  • Dare to Lead
James Clear is the author of "Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones"

He writes about habits, decision-making, and continuous improvement at jamesclear.com. His website receives millions of visitors each month and hundreds of thousands subscribe to his popular email newsletter.

His work has appeared in the New York Times, Entrepreneur, Time, and on CBS
“Every action you take is a vote for the type of person you wish to become. No single instance will transform your beliefs, but as the votes build up, so does the evidence of your new identity.” 106 likes
“You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems.” 75 likes