Start by marking “Water Viper (Jesse Alexander, #1)” as Want to Read:
Water Viper (Jesse Alexander, #1)

Water Viper

(Jesse Alexander #1)

During Starfall, magic flooded the Earth and destroyed most technology while humans developed strange new powers. As the scion of a male-dominated clan, Jesse should have risen to become a hero.

She chose to become a woman instead, ruining her hopes for the future.

To forget about her life as an assassin, she heads to the dying coasts of Florida. Unfortunately, a chance enc
Published May 13th 2018 by Pen & Page Publishing (first published May 11th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Water Viper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Water Viper

Start your review of Water Viper (Jesse Alexander, #1)
Natalie panda eyes
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked it. It was better than the witch and wolf books and slightly more serious than the romantic comedy series. The ending as always on these books is open and I’m looking forward to the next one. Jesse is strong but emotionally scarred finding her way through life as an assassin and finding where she belongs. Not much on the romance front, it’s subtle but falls along the lines of lifetime mates. I liked the troublesome trio.
Caitlin Farley
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Starfall changed everything, leaving some cities in ruins while survivors in others developed magical abilities. Jesse Alexander, once the pride of her clan, ran away after accidentally choosing to become a woman and is now a respected bodyguard who moonlights as the infamous assassin, Water Viper. A fateful encounter in a sinking Miami leaves her with a pulsing Starfall stone that could burst at any moment and a high bounty on her head. With herself, her secrets, and her friends in danger, Jess ...more
Beth
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I wasn't sure about this from the blurb .. but took a chance.

Definitely worth it! Funny, action packed, slightly different take on a Magic Apocalypse and what would happen thereafter.

Stayed up waaaay too late but enjoyed every minute. :)
Sandra
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, ebooks
3.5 stars Good story and characters but it was too long. The same story could still have been told without quite so many things happening. And whilst i enjoyed each of the events and interactions in their own right there were just too many of them for best readability and absolutely nothing would have been lost by substantially reducing them. Also given how freaking long the story was having no resolution or progression with the romance was frustrating in the extreme. Especially when it is clear ...more
Virginia
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, amazing book to read!

This book is exceptional and I will most definitely be watching for more books by RJ Blain. The way the characters grew with the storyline was awesome and I particularly enjoyed that Jesse wasn't a meek little pet, she has claws and knows how to use them. I cannot wait to see what happens next!
Jeannie Zelos
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Water Viper ,(Jesse Alexander 1), R.J. Blain

Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews

Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy

My first novel by this author, got it as part of some free book offer, I'd read the amazon sample and wanted to read more. Sadly I didn't note exactly how I came by this book, just found I'd filed it in the review collection....

Its a long book at almost 500 pages, and usually I love long books but TBH at times this felt a bit Padded, a little too much Filler and – heresy for me saying this
Marsha
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Kei
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book frustrated the hell out of me...I still love it a lot, but it...really frustrated the hell out of me.
It's the time gap(s) (might be one of my pet peeves, almost), the fact that no one managed to do anything about the issue during the time gap, the whole complete avoidance of proper communication and the 'I know that you know that I know, but we will both pretend that we know nothing and never say anything' attitudes... The most appropriate name for the main character is not Dives Head
Jessica Bronder
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starfall is a time where magic washed over our world giving strange powers to humans. Jesse Alexander makes the choice to stay a human. She leaves her clan and becomes an assassin called the Water Viper. Several years later she finds a piece of a Starfall stone and becomes a wanted woman. Jesse has the chance to correct her decision to stay a human but she is going to have to stay ahead of the people after her now.

Jesse is a great character. She is tough, strong, and has enough snark to keep me
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
C.M. Skiera
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indie, sci-fi
A cataclysmic event sets the stage for a reinvented North America where combustion engines and electricity no longer function. Within this world, chronic loner Jesse Alexander struggles to find her place. The teenage assassin approaches her twenties with a plethora of problems to deal with--not least of which is the type of animal she'll eventually shift into.

Filled with a cast of characters who embrace their animal halves, growling and biting as often as not, Water Viper is full of action with
Debbie
This is definitely one of the best stories I've read in a very long time. It was BIG...very, very big. I'd go so far as to call it a "sweeping epic". There was a lot of chaos and mayhem fit into one book. l cannot imagine where it will go in a second book, but I'm glad there will be another book coming. Naturally, with such a big story, there was a lot of world-building. The world itself wasn't entirely unique. In some ways, it was very similar to the world of Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series. ...more
Julia Red Hatter Book Blog
Water Viper is an amazingly written urban fantasy that will blow you away! I was completely engrossed and couldn't put it down for a second.

Jesse is something else. She's fierce and badass, but also insecure and vulnerable. She's so much in one character and I loved every bit of her! I loved her snark and wit with the males in her life. Nate was so funny and awesome! The banter he threw at Jesse and everyone else was hilarious. All the characters you meet are amazing! I fell in love with the wo
Judith Roberts
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful new series

The Water Viper is the beginning of great new dystopian series. The premise of "falling sky stones"changing and remaking the world is brilliant. The fact the event happened in 1992, is even better. Our heroine is an assassin in the beginning chapters of the book. She is really, really good at her profession and has morals which she relies on in her work. Did I mention that most people in this new world are shifters or truely mystical people. If you give this first book a read
Hildegard
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

I have read all of RJ Blaine books, enjoying some more than others. I love the "Requiem for the Rift King" series, with its one-armed hero, and almost sentient horses. Didn't care as much for "Playing with Fire" (I guess I do have a limit as to how much snark I enjoy in a heroine).
Water Viper is closer to the Rift King in style, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The only reason I didn't give it give stars, is the missing words and a few other things that slipped by the proofreaders.

Paranormal Books R Us
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! The detail put into creating the characters was incredible and I especially enjoyed being able to see Jesse change and adapt over large chunks of time. It was almost like being there to watch her grow up.
As I've come to expect from this author there was plenty of humor to go with all the butt kicking and a whole lot of crazy thrown in for good measure.
Also as usual with Blain's books it sucked me in and I can't wait to see what happens next. I think its safe to say I loved Water Viper
William Howe
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unique and fun

Several interesting ideas wrapped around standard romance tropes. A couple of really great lines, but overall a bit too long. It's really a short story and two novels all bound together. It made some of the banter feel repetitive. There were also a few continuity grey areas. Better editing would help.

I would love to read another in this universe. I'd pay full price without flinching.
Drew Shiel
A peculiarly rambling book in a very peculiar setting. I didn't dislike it, per se, but I couldn't in all honesty recommend it to anyone. It's vaguely like Laurel K. Hamilton fanfic, with a protagonist who is saved from Mary-Sue-ness only by lacking violet eyes. She turns out to be advantageously special at every turn in a world where there are five or six ways to measure that. So... probably not one to chase down.
Samantha Turley
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous Book Cover. Magic and Action galore in this book. It does not let up at all once it gets going. It makes for a very quick read that you do not want to put down.
I loved Jesse immediately, I connected to her character right of the bat.
The story line was so imaginative and the world was highlighted by wonderful descriptions.
Such a Great Urban Fantasy! Don’t miss Jesse’s world and get excited, because there is more!
Helene
Jun 21, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t know why but didn’t like this one so much ...

Felt kind of YA with a lot of the characters exhibiting juvenile behaviour most of which felt like it was written as some kind of comic relief...

Found the book to be quite long. Could have used a bit more action. Also I wasn’t feeling the attraction between FMC and her love interest. For God’s sake they didn’t even kiss once in the whole book !!!! I like my fictional men to be a more sexually assertive please...

Amy Venosky
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read

This story is something I usually don't read. Post apocalyptic world stories never have interested me, but this book is a truly great read! The characters by play and the evolution of the main female character is awesome! To have such a strong female lead is amazing! I can't wait for the second book!
Mary
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book

I loved the plot, theme and characters.

I feel like it left of on a bit of a cliffhanger but at the same time it didn't. It's a good long read with a new set of great developed characters and scenes. Assassins, Mercs, magic users, shifters and many more! Love this book
T.
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite paranormal writers, Blain creates unique fantasy worlds. She brings a refreshing feel to the urban fantasy genre with each new series. I loved this dystopian twist and the great characters. The plot was excellent and complex, which kept me guessing what would happen next. A great read.
Josephine
Like many of Blain's works, it reads like multiple books rolled into one volume. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does mean that the book deviates from the traditional climax story structure, which may throw some readers off. Personally, I don't mind getting a little more story than I was expecting and I always enjoy Blain's characters.
Rebecca H Myers
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great book!

I loved this book! You have shifters and magic along with a love story. This book gets your attention from the very first page and keeps it to the end. I can hardly wait to read the next book about Jesse! I always read RJ Blain's twice or more to make sure I haven't missed anything the first time round. Never a dull moment!!
Truly Trendy PR
Water Viper: A Jesse Alexander Novel is the first book in the Jesse Alexander series by R.J. Blain. A paranormal fantasy that is full of magic and mystery. The story in well-written and the characters grow at a steady pace making the story is to get lost in. * I received a complimentary copy from RAB Book Tours and the author in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.*
R.K. Emery
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
RJ Blain has brought to life characters and given them direction. The world she has created is so vivid and really helps the reader feel like they are there with the characters.

This is beyond just a Fantasy book, its action and adventure and personal relationships as well.

An energetic plot and steady pacing will keep you on your toes.
ebsTx
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A new favorite

One of the few post-apocalyptic novels I have thoroughly enjoyed. Jesse is a very strong female lead and her backstory is well built. Even though there are shifters, they do not distract from the story. R J Blain does an excellent job blending magic into her worlds. I am anxiously awaiting the next book.
Shana Pare
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this series!

This is probably one of the most enjoyable books that I have read in a very long time. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It has an outstanding story line (that is carried forward into Book 2), with great characters (both primary and secondary) and dialogue. Do yourself a favor and bring Jesse Alexander into your life NOW
Trish
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This begins the Jesse Alexander series, dystopian novels set in a time after "starfall" -- magic rocks, the Hope diamond, people who turn into tigers or wolves or horses. Add to that a danger-filled trip on horseback across the North American continent and you have a really good read. Disclaimer: I freakin' love everything written by RJ Blain that I have read so far.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bonds (Royal States, #6)
  • A Guiding Light (Royal States, #4)
  • Cold Flame (Royal States, #7)
  • Storm Called (Royal States, #1)
  • The Captive King (Royal States, #3)
  • Huntress (Royal States, #5)
  • Taken (Royal States  #1.5)
  • Bat out of Hell
  • Null and Void (Royal States, #2)
  • The Dawn of Dae (Dae Portals, #1)
  • Ginger Snapped
  • Shammed
  • The Run Around
  • Claustrophobic
  • Dragons Don't Eat Meat (Valkyrie Bestiary #1)
  • Magitek (The Rift Chronicles, #1)
  • The Unseen (Elder Races #9.9)
  • Sinister Magic (Death Before Dragons, #1)
RJ Blain suffers from a Moleskine journal obsession, a pen fixation, and a terrible tendency to pun without warning.

When she isn't playing pretend, she likes to think she's a cartographer and a sumi-e painter. In reality, she herds cats and a husband, and obeys the commands of Tsu Dhi, the great warrior fish.

In her spare time, she daydreams about being a spy. Should that fail, her contingency plan

Jesse Alexander (2 books)
  • Steel Heart (Jesse Alexander, #2)

News & Interviews

“I’ve left a lot of unconscious men around. When they don’t take no for an answer, I beat them up and leave. I can’t help it. If I wanted to sleep with them, I would!” 0 likes