Start by marking “Lying and Dying (Josef Slonský Investigations #1)” as Want to Read:
Lying and Dying (Josef Slonský Investigations #1)

Lying and Dying

(Josef Slonský Investigations #1)

What do you do when the poison comes from within…?

The body of a young woman is found strangled by the side of the road.

The brilliant, but lazy, Lieutenant Josef Slonský is put in charge of the case.

With a wry sense of humour, a strong stubborn
Published August 1st 2018 by Sapere Books (first published April 23rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Lying and Dying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lying and Dying

Start your review of Lying and Dying (Josef Slonský Investigations #1)
PattyMacDotComma
4.5 ~ 5
‘What urgent business do we have here, sir?’

‘The Minister told us to redouble our efforts, Navrátil. So we’re going for two beers and two sausages.’

What an absolute delight! Josef Slonský is as astute as the old Colombo was, as rumpled as Jackson Lamb, from Mick Herron’s wonderful British "Slough House" detective/spy series, with as deep a distrust of the law and a belief in true justice as any reader could want. He’s an old codger who’s fighting off a rear-guard action from his boss to
Liz
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it

I love mystery series that take me somewhere different. Thanks to some GR friends, I just discovered the Lt. Josef Slonsky series that takes place in Prague. I loved the initial description of Slonsky. “ After about 20 minutes, a battered old police car pulled up behind them and a battered old policeman climbed out.” In fact, over the next page or so, Barack goes on to paint Slonsky so that you know exactly the kind of policeman he is. He’s been around for so long he knows how to bend all the
Sandy
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a great surprise. Picked this up on a whim & really enjoyed it. Set in Prague, we meet cop Lt. Josef Sonský, a whip smart curmudgeon who's been doling out law & order for more than 40 years. When a young woman is found murdered on the streets of the capital, the investigation heads off in directions no one could have foreseen.

It's a twisty police procedural that will keep you guessing but what sets this apart are the characters. Josef is a sly old dog who knows where all the bodies
Judith E
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, czech
I thoroughly enjoyed this fairly complicated mystery that takes place in modern day
Czechoslovakia. With light bantering throughout, Detective Slonsky plods through the small clues left by the murderer and does not flinch in finding justice. A bonus - the slice of life about the Czech government during and post Communist era, and the impact on everyday lives. Not a bonus - my craving to drink coffee and eat pastries right along with Detective Slonsky!
Veronica ⭐️
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, crime
* https://theburgeoningbookshelf.blogsp...
A young woman is murdered and her body dumped near a railway station. It appears as if the murderer wanted the body found. The case is taken by Lt Josef Slonsky, a veteran of nearly forty years on the force.
Approaching 60, his days on the force are numbered but Slonsky isn’t ready to retire yet and he still has a lot to offer as he is training young recruit, Navratil.

“Navratil? He’s all right. Got to learn to pace himself though. You get nowhere
Phrynne
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-2019
This book made ideal airplane reading by which I mean it was so absorbing I could read it from beginning to end without being distracted at all by everything else going on around me.

I loved Josef most of all with his warped sense of humour and his attitude to life which revolved mostly around food. He makes an excellent main character for a slightly quirky police procedural. There is a good supporting cast too including the usual hopeless boss, the naive young assistant and the uncouth yet
Linda Strong
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Lt. Josef Slonsky .. possibly the laziest policeman in Prague, probably in Central Europe. He rarely sees the need to rush and is frequently found conserving his energy with his feet on his desk. He meets with his protege and other members of law enforcement to discuss business over beer and sausages ..sometimes a biscuit. Detecting for 40 years, he is due to retire soon.

He has a wry sense of humor that not everyone understands and a strong stubborn streak that does him well. He doesn't
Andrea
Having established his career in the Czech police force during the communist era, Lieutenant Josef Slonský is approaching retirement in present day Prague. He's dishevelled in appearance and ravenous in appetite, but is quick-witted and has a mind like a steel trap. With his new offsider, young detective Navrátil, he expects to make reasonably short work of his latest case - an unknown young woman, strangled and dumped near a Metro station in the dead of night. But when it seems that the boss ...more
Jennifer (JC-S)
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
‘We always disregard the obvious and assume that things are not what they seem.’

The body of a young woman is found strangled, by the side of a road in Prague. Who has killed her and why? The only clue seems to be a large amount of money concealed on her person.

The murder case is assigned to Lieutenant Joseph Slonský and his new partner Navrátil. Slonský who is edging close to retirement, is regarded as something of a maverick by his colleagues. He’s clever but seen as lazy. He does just enough
Marianne
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Nobody speak to me for a while. I have an idea, and I need to think deeply about it. To the untrained eye, it will look as if I am asleep, but actually my brain will be running like a hamster in a wheel.”

Lying and Dying is the first book in the Josef Slonský Investigations series by British author, Graham Brack. At almost sixty, Lieutenant Josef Slonský is not yet ready to retire. A veteran of some forty years, he has a good case clearance rate and Captain Lukas usually permits him to work
Linda Strong
4.5 Stars

Many thanks to the author / Sapere Books / Netgalley for the digital copy of this international crime thriller. Opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.

Elaine Tomasso
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank Sapere Books for an advance copy of Lying and Dying, a police procedural set in Prague.

When the body of a young woman is found strangled beside the railway station Lieutenant Josef Slonsky and his trainee, Navrátilov are given the case. Their first order of business is to establish her identity, unsuccessfully until a photograph sent to Slonsky anonymously helps to identify not only the victim but a well known suspect.

I thoroughly enjoyed Lying and Dying which not only had
Janet Newport
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley and Sapere Books for this arc.

What's not to love in a book featuring a crusty curmudgeon? Who's both smart and a real smart-a** too?
And he can eat anything, any time and every where!

Slonsky is breaking in a new detective Navratil. If Navratil doesn't suffer whiplash from keeping up with Slonsky's thought processes, he's bound to suffer from the diet. Slonsky is smart, crafty, manilipulative and logical. The characters make this book. The story was pretty good, too.

I kept
John
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, mystery
First part kind of dragged for me, but I liked the detectives well enough to keep going. Later part of the book saw more action, which makes me interested in reading the next one.

In a sense, these guys reminded me of (a less cerebral) Morse and Lewis.
Grace J Reviewerlady
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
No matter how many crime books you've read, I doubt very much if you have EVER read one like this!!

The discovery of a young woman's body at the side of the road in Prague means a new case for Lieutenant Josef Slonský. His new partner, Navrátil is raw and keen to learn -a blank canvas for Slonský to mould to his way of doing things. With what little clues there are pointing further up the political chain, these two have their work cut out.

Josef Slonský isn't your usual detective; get-up-and-go
Alfred Nobile
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, review-books
A brilliant read and first time with this author. Vivid sense of time and place. Dark story line, interspersed with humour. Interesting dynamic between the two main characters. More in depth review on the blog tour
Jess
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the setting of this book (Prague). I found this book to also move quickly because of the snappy dialogue, which I also enjoyed. You get a real feel for the characters because of their banter, and it makes it an engaging way to move through the whodunnit of this book.
Sue K
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Josef Slonsky is a world-weary wise-cracking, down at heel Detective in the Prague Police. Once the body of a young woman is discovered this sets Slonsky on a complex journey to discover the truth. It takes him into the murky world of Czech politics and is a clever plot -although sometimes I felt it was a bit too complex for its own good and I got confused at times as to what was going on.

But this is the first in a series featuring Slonsky and his naïve sidekick Navratil and although I found it
Bicky
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an impressive debut. The novel in set in the Czech Republic in the early 2000s. The protagonist is Josef Slonský ‘who has been a policeman in Prague for nearly 40 years working, his way up from the lowest of the low to a position of almost no influence whatsoever.’ One of his primary ambitions is ‘needling his superiors just enough to satisfy his sense of insubordination without leaving him vulnerable to reprisals. In this he had done remarkably well.’ This is a character who is bent on ...more
Joyce
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 and 1 / 2 stars

I read the Kindle edition.

A man on his way to work the early shift discovered the body of a woman on the sidewalk. He waited while the police came, for he really did not want to go to work. The irreverent, hungry and somewhat lazy Josef Slonsky and his partner new police academy graduate Navratil responded to the call. The woman is later identified as Irina Gruberova and had a large amount of cash secreted about her person.

The evidence begins to move in an unwanted direction as
Todd Simpson
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such an enjoyable read. I especially like a floored character, and Lieutenant Josef Slonsky definitely fits into this category. However, he may not be perfect, but he’s smart with a life time of experience, and he really made this a wonderfully entertaining story. I like Graham Brack’s writing style, and I was thrilled to see there is going to be a second book in the future, and I’ll certainly be keeping an eye out for it.
Lieutenant Josef Slonsky had been a detective in Prague for close
Christine
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Detective Josef Slonsky has been a policeman in Prague for almost 40 years. He doesn't have further career ambitions past his current rank of Lieutenant, but he isn't ready to retire yet. Slonsky seems to take a liking to the newest rookie, Navratil, with whom he's partnered. The two are assigned to a case of an unidentified young woman found strangled in a railway station. When the woman is linked to a high-ranking government official, Slonsky and his new partner become involved in an
Sheila Howes
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book opens with the discovery of a dead woman on the road, who is concealing a large amount of cash.Lieutenant Josef Slonský is on the case, along with his new partner,Navrátil, who has recently graduated.

With few clues to the woman's identity, a picture is placed in the papers. In response, they receive a photograph of someone very familiar. Is it a case of corruption, or something bigger?

The novel is set in Prague in a cold February. It's the first time I've read a book set in that
Bev
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: have-read, own-it
Lieutenant Josef Slonský and Navratil, his new rookie partner are requested to investigate the body of a young woman found on the side of the road. Just let me say that Slonsky isn't the most energetic detective around, more like the opposite. He is rather laid back and approaches things with a sense of humor not everyone likes. Back to the case....the young woman was last seen with none other than Slonsky's immediate boss! Well, now who wants to question their own boss in a murder investigation ...more
Ivana
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It all started as a simple murder investigation as young Czech woman is murdered and found one cold morning by metro station. This case is investigated by lieutenant Slonsky, a person who lived through the political changes in Czech republic in past decades and experienced communism first hand.

It seems like a simple crime of passion when her lover, a famous politician, came under suspicion. Everything is going smoothly, ... maybe too smoothly and lieutenant Slonsky will need to have a closer
Janet
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars
The body of a young woman is found strangled by the side of the road. There are no obvious clues to what happened, apart from the discovery of a large amount of cash concealed on her person.
The brilliant, but lazy, Lieutenant Josef Slonský is put in charge of the case. With a wry sense of humour, a strong stubborn streak and a penchant for pastries, Slonský is not overly popular with the rest of the police force. But he is paired with the freshly-graduated, overly-eager Navrátil, whom
Rekha
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a witty and amazing start to a series! Slonsky's very likeable! The mystery and the suspense are well-maintained until the end. The twist at the end makes you go 'I did not see that coming!!" Highly recommended.

Detailed review's here: http://thebookdecoder.com/2019/09/17/...
Rose Weiss
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
If you like a wise cracking and sarcastic police investigator in the style of Columbo you will
Enjoy this one
A woman is found murdered and the search is on to find the killer while involving a high raking minister of the government
Since this book is located in Prague the names of the characters and the names of the cities were a bit confusing.
Debbie
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Sapere books for offering me a chance to read an advanced copy of Lying and Dying. I have never read any books by the Author before, but I do love Crime and Mystery Thrillers.

I was a little unsure upon starting to read this book as it took a little while to get into the first couple of Chapters, but I was soon surprised and was throughly enthralled with the main Character of Josef Slonsky and his teachings of his New Detective.

I also liked the history about Prague that the author
Susan
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
In Prague the body of a strangled female is found in the early morning and Lieutenant Josef Slonský is put in charge of the investigation, with the help of new graduate Navrátil.
An interesting read, and an entertaining well-written mystery. With some characters that certainly grow on you as you read the book. A very worthy start to a new series.
Received an Advanced Reader Copy.

• Death of an Old Girl (Pollard & Toye, #1)
  • Your Last Lie (Tyrone Swift, #6)
  • Midwinter Mysteries: A Christmas Crime Anthology
  • No Right To Kill (DI Sara Ramsey, #1)
  • Crime In The Choir (Detective Markham Mystery #1)
  • False Accusations: Nothing to fear if you have nothing to hide... (Willowgrove Village Mystery Book 1)
  • Killer Blow (DI Sara Ramsey, #2)
  • Ruth Robinson's Year of Miracles
  • Stark Warning
  • Running in Circles: An international mystery with a heart-stopping twist (Lucy Lewis, #1)
  • The Affacombe Affair (Pollard and Toye, #2)
  • Deathly Wind (Inspector Torquil McKinnon #2)
  • A Flicker in the Night (Early DCI John Blizzard )
  • One Lost Soul (Hidden Norfolk Murder Mystery #1)
  • Silent Crimes
  • Death in Transit (Inspector Torquil McKinnon #5)
  • Fear the Past (Dark Yorkshire #5)
  • The Brief (Charles Holborne #1)
Graham Brack trained as a pharmacist but now spends most of his time writing crime fiction. He has been shortlisted three times for the Crime Writers Association's Debut Dagger (2011, 2014 and 2016) without ever winning it. Those three entries involved three different detectives.

The 2011 entry has been published as Lying and Dying by Sapere Books, and has been followed by five more books about

Josef Slonský Investigations (6 books)
  • Slaughter and Forgetting (Josef Slonský Investigations #2)
  • Death On Duty (Josef Slonský Investigations #3)
  • Field of Death (Josef Slonský Investigations Book 4)
  • A Second Death (Josef Slonský Investigations #5)
  • Laid In Earth (Josef Slonský Investigations #6)