Start by marking “Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts.” as Want to Read:
Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts.

Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts.

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  41,071 ratings  ·  3,164 reviews
#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER  Brené Brown has taught us what it means to dare greatly, rise strong, and brave the wilderness. Now, based on new research conducted with leaders, change makers, and culture shifters, she’s showing us how to put those ideas into practice so we can step up and lead.

Don’t miss the hourlong Netflix special Brené Brown: The Call to Courage!

NAMED
Published October 9th 2018 by Random House

·  41,071 ratings  ·  3,164 reviews

Start your review of Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts.
Kelly
Brene’s gone corporate. The 99% of us who latched onto her as a hardworking mom and smart researcher who thought hard and fought her way through to some amazing, amazingly put insights... well, in my opinion, that lady is gone. In her place is a motivational speaker who is most interested in selling herself as a guru to the 1%, or the slightly larger percentage of those who can afford to expense her to the company account. She’s just rehashing her old stuff and twisting it’s wording slightly to ...more
Mehrsa
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s Brene Brown for your corporate retreat! I was turned off by the management speech, which I thought she said in the beginning she wouldn’t do (the temptation is great). I was also annoyed at the commodification of her vulnerability insights into cute little worlds. “We’re going to rumble with this.” My SFD is... etc. Its sort of what happens to good insights—once they go thru the corporate retreat circus, they come out as weird nouns that can also be verbs and lose their original meaning.

Hav
Min Soo Choi
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
So, I really appreciate Brené Brown. I love her books. I love her cussing (which she does in her talks more than her books) and, most of all, I love her staggering vulnerability and empathy.

Dare To Lead continues her conquest of shame, dysfunction, ego, hate, indifference, and everything else that tries to dehumanize and destroy us every day but now, she focuses her energy on vulnerability in the workplace--a place where most of us spend a significant amount of our lives navigating.

How do we be
Whitney
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall: If you have not read something by Brene Brown, then you absolutely need to!! This is a great one to start with and the information presented can be applied to all areas of life. Amazing messages, great writing style, versatile applications and this book will make you a better person 10/10

Summary: A compilation of thoughts and research on what makes an effective leader. She started by asking what people should do differently to lead during our modern times, when “we’re faced with seeming
Diane
Another meaningful and inspiring work from Brené Brown! A friend recommended this book and I'm glad I took the time to read it. I think it will be especially beneficial to anyone in a leadership position who wants to improve relationships. Highly recommended.

Meaningful Passage

I didn't set out to study shame; I wanted to understand connection and empathy. But if you don't understand how shame can unravel connection in a split second, you don't really get connection. I didn't set out to study vuln
*TANYA*
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: highly-recommend
I got quite a few good tips from this read, while others were just too time consuming. Lol. All in all, very helpful advice and strategies to apply towards my job and some even to my everyday personal life.
Bharath
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started following Brene Brown’s work since a couple of years and read ‘Braving the Wilderness’ last year. I find Brene’s writings on vulnerability to be exceptional and the concept of ‘True Belonging’ she explained in ‘Braving the Wilderness’ to be very thought provoking. I had very high expectations going into this book and those expectations were partly met.

‘Dare to Lead’ explores the characteristics of brave leaders who are not afraid to demonstrate genuineness, dialogue on differences, and
Gábor Vészi
I love Brene Brown, her first few books helped me a lot. Maybe I changed or she ran out of interesting new research to share, but I felt that this book
didn’t give me too much. It felt like a reiteration of her previous findings but the examples are more relevant for managers.
Kelly
I had a long drive to make this week and couldn't decide between buying this on audio or picking it up in print, and a friend suggested I listen to it on audio, then when it hits in paperback, buy that and mark it up. I think this was a great suggestion, and it was a nice reminder, too, how we pick up different things when we listed, as opposed to when we read in print.

Brown is one of the best thinkers on leadership and confidence, and this book is no different. There are strategies here for bei
Krista Regester
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite things about Brené Brown is her delivery. Her writing and conversational style is so easy to relate to and feels genuine. The skills and techniques reviewed in this book will help you formulate what kind of leader you want to be, giving you the tools to become a successful one. Although there is NO way I could finish this book on a “short flight” - it’s worth taking your time, writing notes, and comparing your own examples to.
Charlene Pineda
I love Brené Brown! I didn’t love this book though. It felt like a repackaging of her previous works.
Connor
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I think this does what it is meant to well. It's a book that pulls together a lot of her other books and findings into one easily digestible source to prompt better connection and leadership within groups of people, mainly companies though she talks about school situations as well. Although, I think these also can be adapted and applied to all sorts of situation - that's probably why she's covered these topics in different books with different examples before and since. One thing that really res ...more
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
This was mostly a wrong turn in my “learn how to be a supervisor in the middle of a pandemic” quest. It seems to have received more attention from fans of the author’s other work than people looking for business books, and so perhaps unsurprisingly, it’s much more a self-help book than a management book. Mostly it’s peddling the author’s particular version of emotional authenticity and connectedness. I don’t know that there’s anything bad about her vision per se, but I found the book off-putting ...more
Amy
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm..

A number of women are coming next Sunday for an In Real Life Bookclub - and we are doing this non-fiction pairing special; The women were invited to read either Becoming by Michelle Obama, or Dare to Lead by Brene Brown. Or Both! Many to most are reading both. I thought it would be a unique look at leadership from two very different but likely aligned perspectives. I figured we would have a really interesting conversation. I bet that we do.

I discovered Dare to Lead, because my friend in F
Jessica
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫

After watching Brené Brown’s Netflix Special, The Call to Courage, I was interested in reading some of her work. I picked up Dare to Lead because it seemed like a good work book club pick with lots of discussion topics. I’ll be leading the book club next week and am so curious to hear what others thought!

I really enjoyed the overall message that courage and fear are not mutually exclusive, that clear is kind, who we are is how we lead, not to be afraid of hard conversations, and to alwa
Traci Fontenot
Feb 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My first intro to Brene Brown and I just didn’t dig it. At all. I don’t know if all her books read like this or not but this was a major struggle for me. Read it for book club and honestly I think it would have been better if I had done audible because then it would have just been like a super long podcast.
Feisty Harriet
I listened to this, and immediately listened to it again. Yep, that good. I love Brené's work and research, I have found it so immeasurably helpful and pertinent in my life and my relatioships. This book focuses her work on shame and communication into a workplace arena more than a personal growth and development arena, and I loved thinking about that perspective. In many ways this book reminded me of Creativity, Inc., by Ed Catmull, which I also loved.

I think my biggest mistake was listening to
Melissa
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like I could read this 20 times and learn something new every-time. I like to listen to these kinds of books and she has activities to do on her websight. I feel like this book would take lots of time to pull apart and digest. I am not a leader in the business sense or even in the world sense. I am a mother who leads my home, I am a church leader who leads my class and who contributes where I can there. I am a worker at my office who tries to lead with a smile and compassion. I read this ...more
Veronica
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
With respect to Brené Brown, I could not even finish this book; as the genre goes, it's probably a wonderful work. But I hate this genre of books and don't know why I continue to seek them out with the naïve hope that I might find an exception to the rule. Attempting to read Dare to Lead was a blunt reminder of the reason I never read self-help books.
Scott Ferguson
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book is an excellent resource for anyone in any type of leadership role. It’s also excellent for anyone not in a leadership role in that it opens your mind to how you respond to others and self in life. I will likely read this again, but with a highlighter in hand!
Barnabas Piper
Great principles. Should’ve been a TED talk or article.
Shanique Edwards
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, 2018
This book combines Brene's (we're friends in my head) previous work and puts it in the context of being a strong, healthy leader. She takes her work on wholehearted living (Gifts of Imperfection), vulnerability & shame (Daring Greatly), the reckoning, rumble & revolution (Rising Strong), assuming the best intent (Braving the Wilderness) and much more and places those principles in an organizational environment. She gives practical advice about what it means to lead wholeheartedly, with vulnerabi ...more
Wendy
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book helped me to try and understand my coworkers and to at least be more empathetic to where they are coming from. I still struggle with emotions in others, vulnerability and being compassionate to feelings I do not understand, but I think reading Brown's books have helped get me on the right path to changing my thought process. I do believe people can change for the better as long as they are willing to put in the work and know they need to grow.

The book also got me to thinking about my
Shiloah
All I can really say is that Brene is amazing and her books offer so much value that everyone should read them. This was so good. I listened to it. Whenever I had this book playing often a family member would come around, listen a bit and ask who was this and what was this book? I told the person and he/she would go on to remark how good it sounded.
Kim
Definitely not my favorite Brene. This is the corporate version for sure, and lacks the insight and storytelling I most love her work for. A substantial portion of it is also resummarized from her previous books.
Donna
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading this author. This is the 4th book I've read that was written by her and I have loved 3 of them....one I didn't really care for (not because it was awful, it just didn't resonate with me in any way.)

I know some reviewers didn't like the way she dipped into the corporate world and applied her research to helping them. I actually loved it. She applied her knowledge and passion, which was abundant, to the business world. It felt like it was a timely and appropriate message.

I loved he
Bailey L.
I am wrestling with how to synthesize my thoughts on Dare to Lead. As an avid 5-year strong Brene fan with a vulnerability quote on my wall, I hate to say it, but she has started to drink her own Kool-Aid. This book is littered with self-promotion. It's also mainly a ploy for people to buy her books. I have read Daring Greatly twice and flip through it on a regular basis. I have my students read it and have made quizzes based on the chapters. So I can confidentally say that Dare to Lead is a reh ...more
Ryan
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read the last five books from Brené Brown. Her books have changed my life more than any other writer. She has given me such a profound perspective about my own feeling and journey, that I am indebted to her forever. One of the biggest problems I have with the books (and psychology in general) is that help ends with awareness. Once a person is aware of an issue, condition, emotion, etc. there is not a lot of help in my experience in what to do next. There are some examples, and for good re ...more
Stephanie
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Courage > Comfort. ...more
Robert
A friend who I respect read this and spoke well of it. I put it on my non-existent To-Read list. Now, amid a summer reading challenge, I needed a New York Times Best Seller. This seemed to fit the bill.

Since I heard my friend speak of it, I have come across Brené Brown's name in many different fora. I was excited to read the book.

During the read Dr. Brown told me that because I am not in the arena, I do not count. Lord knows, I have heard that before. She doesn't count comments from the cheap se

• Untamed
  • Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know About the People We Don’t Know
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism
  • The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World
  • Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals
  • How to Be an Antiracist
  • I'm Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness
  • Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance
  • Be the Boss Everyone Wants to Work for: A Guide for New Leaders
  • The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose
Dr. Brené Brown is a research professor at the University of Houston where she holds the Huffington Foundation – Brené Brown Endowed Chair at The Graduate College of Social Work. Brené is also a visiting professor in management at The University of Texas at Austin McCombs School of Business.

She has spent the past two decades studying courage, vulnerability, shame, and empathy and is the author of

News & Interviews

“I define a leader as anyone who takes responsibility for finding the potential in people and processes, and who has the courage to develop that potential.” 37 likes
“At the end of the day, at the end of the week, at the end of my life, I want to say I contributed more than I criticized.” 36 likes