Start by marking “Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts.” as Want to Read:
Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts.

Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts.

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  10,252 ratings  ·  1,013 reviews
#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER  Brené Brown has taught us what it means to dare greatly, rise strong, and brave the wilderness. Now, based on new research conducted with leaders, change makers, and culture shifters, she’s showing us how to put those ideas into practice so we can step up and lead.

Leadership is not about titles, status, and wielding power. A leader is anyone
Published October 9th 2018 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Dare to Lead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dare to Lead

·  10,252 ratings  ·  1,013 reviews

Kelly
Brene’s gone corporate. The 99% of us who latched onto her as a hardworking mom and smart researcher who thought hard and fought her way through to some amazing, amazingly put insights... well, in my opinion, that lady is gone. In her place is a motivational speaker who is most interested in selling herself as a guru to the 1%, or the slightly larger percentage of those who can afford to expense her to the company account. She’s just rehashing her old stuff and twisting it’s wording slightly to ...more
Min Soo Choi
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
So, I really appreciate Brené Brown. I love her books. I love her cussing (which she does in her talks more than her books) and, most of all, I love her staggering vulnerability and empathy.

Dare To Lead continues her conquest of shame, dysfunction, ego, hate, indifference, and everything else that tries to dehumanize and destroy us every day but now, she focuses her energy on vulnerability in the workplace--a place where most of us spend a significant amount of our lives navigating.

How do we be
Mehrsa
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s Brene Brown for your corporate retreat! I was turned off by the management speech, which I thought she said in the beginning she wouldn’t do (the temptation is great). I was also annoyed at the commodification of her vulnerability insights into cute little worlds. “We’re going to rumble with this.” My SFD is... etc. Its sort of what happens to good insights—once they go thru the corporate retreat circus, they come out as weird nouns that can also be verbs and lose their original meaning.

Hav
Kelly
I had a long drive to make this week and couldn't decide between buying this on audio or picking it up in print, and a friend suggested I listen to it on audio, then when it hits in paperback, buy that and mark it up. I think this was a great suggestion, and it was a nice reminder, too, how we pick up different things when we listed, as opposed to when we read in print.

Brown is one of the best thinkers on leadership and confidence, and this book is no different. There are strategies here for bei
Gábor Vészi
I love Brene Brown, her first few books helped me a lot. Maybe I changed or she ran out of interesting new research to share, but I felt that this book
didn’t give me too much. It felt like a reiteration of her previous findings but the examples are more relevant for managers.
Charlene Pineda
I love Brené Brown! I didn’t love this book though. It felt like a repackaging of her previous works.
Krista Regester
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite things about Brené Brown is her delivery. Her writing and conversational style is so easy to relate to and feels genuine. The skills and techniques reviewed in this book will help you formulate what kind of leader you want to be, giving you the tools to become a successful one. Although there is NO way I could finish this book on a “short flight” - it’s worth taking your time, writing notes, and comparing your own examples to.
Connor
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I think this does what it is meant to well. It's a book that pulls together a lot of her other books and findings into one easily digestible source to prompt better connection and leadership within groups of people, mainly companies though she talks about school situations as well. Although, I think these also can be adapted and applied to all sorts of situation - that's probably why she's covered these topics in different books with different examples before and since. One thing that really res ...more
Amy
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm..

A number of women are coming next Sunday for an In Real Life Bookclub - and we are doing this non-fiction pairing special; The women were invited to read either Becoming by Michelle Obama, or Dare to Lead by Brene Brown. Or Both! Many to most are reading both. I thought it would be a unique look at leadership from two very different but likely aligned perspectives. I figured we would have a really interesting conversation. I bet that we do.

I discovered Dare to Lead, because my friend in F
Shanique Edwards
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, 2018
This book combines Brene's (we're friends in my head) previous work and puts it in the context of being a strong, healthy leader. She takes her work on wholehearted living (Gifts of Imperfection), vulnerability & shame (Daring Greatly), the reckoning, rumble & revolution (Rising Strong), assuming the best intent (Braving the Wilderness) and much more and places those principles in an organizational environment. She gives practical advice about what it means to lead wholeheartedly, with v ...more
Wendy
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book helped me to try and understand my coworkers and to at least be more empathetic to where they are coming from. I still struggle with emotions in others, vulnerability and being compassionate to feelings I do not understand, but I think reading Brown's books have helped get me on the right path to changing my thought process. I do believe people can change for the better as long as they are willing to put in the work and know they need to grow.

The book also got me to thinking about my
Veronica
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
With respect to Brené Brown, I could not even finish this book; as the genre goes, it's probably a wonderful work. But I hate this genre of books and don't know why I continue to seek them out with the naïve hope that I might find an exception to the rule. Attempting to read Dare to Lead was a blunt reminder of the reason I never read self-help books.
Traci Fontenot
Feb 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My first intro to Brene Brown and I just didn’t dig it. At all. I don’t know if all her books read like this or not but this was a major struggle for me. Read it for book club and honestly I think it would have been better if I had done audible because then it would have just been like a super long podcast.
Kim
Definitely not my favorite Brene. This is the corporate version for sure, and lacks the insight and storytelling I most love her work for. A substantial portion of it is also resummarized from her previous books.
Barnabas Piper
Great principles. Should’ve been a TED talk or article.
Melissa
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like I could read this 20 times and learn something new every-time. I like to listen to these kinds of books and she has activities to do on her websight. I feel like this book would take lots of time to pull apart and digest. I am not a leader in the business sense or even in the world sense. I am a mother who leads my home, I am a church leader who leads my class and who contributes where I can there. I am a worker at my office who tries to lead with a smile and compassion. I read this ...more
Feisty Harriet
I listened to this, and immediately listened to it again. Yep, that good. I love Brené's work and research, I have found it so immeasurably helpful and pertinent in my life and my relatioships. This book focuses her work on shame and communication into a workplace arena more than a personal growth and development arena, and I loved thinking about that perspective. In many ways this book reminded me of Creativity, Inc., by Ed Catmull, which I also loved.

I think my biggest mistake was listening to
Kris Patrick
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well... now I can name and list my bad leadership habits.

I’m a work in progress, people!
Stephanie
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Courage > Comfort.
Elizabeth
This was fine, but it felt like a rehash of her last three books. It would be a good place to start if you haven't read Daring Greatly or Braving the Wilderness. The only part that stood out to me was about empathy vs. sympathy. If you've been following Brown for a while you've probably already heard it all. Having said that, I think her messages are important and worth repeating.
Jed
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty good book about leadership. I appreciate what I learned here but definitely like her other books better. (Except Braving the Wilderness, that one didn’t resonate with me as much as the others). This author is very much worth your time. She has a great message.
Janssen
I liked this but it felt like it petered out a bit toward the end.
Lori
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from the goodreads giveaways. A very informative book on how to take down that armory. We are all vulnerable. it is hard to have confrontations with others or get our feelings out there. Brene' Brown gives good advice on how to get along with co-workers whether if you are a boss or an employee working with others. She offers tools of taking down that shield we can all have to communicate with others.
Aleya
That was incredible. I just ordered a print copy so I could re-read it, make notes, and highlight/underline things. There's so much greatness in this book. I'm so glad I decided to pick it up.
Bailey Urban
I am wrestling with how to synthesize my thoughts on Dare to Lead. As an avid 5-year strong Brene fan with a vulnerability quote on my wall, I hate to say it, but she has started to drink her own Kool-Aid. This book is littered with self-promotion. It's also mainly a ploy for people to buy her books. I have read Daring Greatly twice and flip through it on a regular basis. I have my students read it and have made quizzes based on the chapters. So I can confidentally say that Dare to Lead is a reh ...more
Ashley Dreyer
Late to the Brene Brown train and shame on me for it. See what I did there overtly talking about shame. But seriously, there were so many interesting points and takeaways that are backed by research. I found it all fascinating. Also listened to this as an audiobook, and would recommend. She narrates and does a great job. I’ll most likely come back to this one. Well done.
Angela Mitchell
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Yes, there is a lot of repetitive material from previous books, but that's what I love - she brings it all together. I listened to the audiobook, and while that may make it more challenging to do the work, her personality add so much color to the stories that it is worth it. I'll probably end up buying the book to refer to in the future, as now I'll be able to hear her voice guiding me through.

Everything makes sense, as if you've known it your whole life, but needed someone to articulate it so
Jennie
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Have you ever felt like a book was speaking directly to everything you've always known to be true, but have never had the words for? That's how I felt reading Daring Greatly and Rising Strong. I encountered them at points of my life where I was undergoing changes that felt very brave and scary and vulnerable, and it felt like every word was giving me a hug.

I was really excited to read Dare to Lead, because it's finding me at a time in my life when most of my energy is focused on building and ov
Emily
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Brene Brown repeats some of the same content from her previous books, but every time I read her, it is just the thing I needed to hear.
Robyn
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engaging, easy to listen to, and thought provoking.
I want to live in a world with braver, bolder leaders, and I want to be able to pass that kind of world on to my children, p.4.
Brené Brown holds a doctorate of philosophy in social work from the University of Houston and has spent years researching / teaching different areas in social work such as “Shame, Empathy & Resilience”, “Critical Issues in Political Social Work”, and “Empowerment” to mention only a few. She’s earned several aw
CERRA Book Club: Dare to Lead 1 1 Apr 22, 2019 01:50PM
Play Book Tag: Dare to Lead by Brene Brown, 3 stars? 5 18 Mar 31, 2019 06:47PM
CERRA Book Club: Sections 4 and 5 1 1 Feb 25, 2019 05:53PM
CERRA Book Club: Sections 2 and 3 10 5 Feb 10, 2019 03:13PM
Leaders who Libra...: Share Your Thoughts Dare to Lead! 13 48 Jan 28, 2019 09:16PM
  • Worth It: Your Life, Your Money, Your Terms
  • Herding Tigers: Master the Transition from Maker to Manager
  • The Art of Conflict Management: Achieving Solutions for Life, Work, and Beyond
  • Emotional Success: The Power of Gratitude, Compassion, and Pride
  • The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups
  • Why Won’t You Apologize?: Healing Big Betrayals and Everyday Hurts
  • The Prosperous Coach: Increase Income and Impact for You and Your Clients
  • Back to Human: How Great Leaders Create Connection in the Age of Isolation
  • Being Boss: Take Control of Your Work and Live Life on Your Own Terms
  • The Principal: Three Keys to Maximizing Impact
  • Planning Your Novel: Ideas and Structure (Foundations of Fiction #1)
  • Positive Intelligence: Why Only 20% of Teams and Individuals Achieve Their True Potential and How You Can Achieve Yours
  • Money Management Skills
  • Aware: The Science and Practice of Presence--A Complete Guide to the Groundbreaking Wheel of Awareness Meditation Practice
  • The Power of Presence: Unlock Your Potential to Influence and Engage Others
  • Awakening Compassion at Work: The Quiet Power That Elevates People and Organizations
  • Clockwork: Design Your Business to Run Itself
  • Loyalty To Your Soul: The Heart of Spiritual Psychology
Dr. Brené Brown is a research professor at the University of Houston where she holds the Huffington Foundation – Brené Brown Endowed Chair at The Graduate College of Social Work.

She has spent the past two decades studying courage, vulnerability, shame, and empathy and is the author of five #1 New York Times bestsellers: The Gifts of Imperfection, Daring Greatly, Rising Strong, Braving the Wildern
“I define a leader as anyone who takes responsibility for finding the potential in people and processes, and who has the courage to develop that potential.” 17 likes
“The courage to be vulnerable is not about winning or losing, it’s about the courage to show up when you can’t predict or control the outcome.” 10 likes