Start by marking “After He's Gone DC Beth Chamberlain #1” as Want to Read:
After He's Gone  DC Beth Chamberlain #1

After He's Gone DC Beth Chamberlain #1

(DC Beth Chamberlain #1)

‘A refreshing female protagonist with guts and a heart…I was gripped.’- Ruth Dugdall

You think you know him. Until he’s dead.

When Cameron Swift is gunned down outside his family home, DC Beth Chamberlain is appointed Family Liaison Officer: a dual role that requires her to support the family, and also investigate them.

As the case unfolds and the body count climbs, Beth dis
Kindle Edition, First
Published June 18th 2018

To ask other readers questions about After He's Gone DC Beth Chamberlain #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After He's Gone DC Beth Chamberlain #1

sue
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: part-of-series
I’ve been eagerly awaiting this authors new series.

After reading her previous series which I enjoyed I anticipate this authors future books to get my teeth into.

This one lived up to its title big time.

After He’s Gone.

Yes after he’s gone introduced us to DC Beth Chamberlain who was assigned to a family as a liaison officer.

Beth has guts and she also has a big heart.

A death, bodies piling up.
But even the dead had huge secrets as Beth was discovering.

I love how the author gives us not only insight
Sue
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
AFTER HE’S GONE is the latest crime fiction novel by bestselling author Jane Isaac, and is her sixth novel, a new series, featuring Family Liaison Officer, DC Beth Chamberlain, published June 18, 2018. The second Beth Chamberlain novel will follow later in 2018. I am very familiar with this author as I have read the Detective Inspector Will Jackman Series, and really enjoyed them.

When Cameron Swift is gunned down outside his family home, DC Beth Chamberlain is assigned as Family Liaison Officer:
Mandy White
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbc-books
This is the first book by Jane Isaac that I have read and I throughly enjoyed it. Will definitely be on the look out for more and definitely book two in this series.

Cameron Swift is murdered outside his family home whilst putting golf clubs in his car. DCI Beth Chamberlain is sent to the home to work with the family as the family liaison officer. As the investigation progresses the truth about the victim is slowly uncovered, causing the family to wonder if they really did know him at all.

A fanta
Linda Strong
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
The murder of Cameron Swift sets off a chain of events no one could see coming. He is gunned down while putting golf clubs in his truck by a man on a motorcycle.

DC Beth Chamberlain is assigned to assist Swift's family while investigating them at the same time. As the case unfolds, Beth finds that nothing is quite as it seems and everyone has secrets ... especially the dead man.

This is a new author to me and I was not at all disappointed with her writing. I liked the mystery of a man who was some
Christine
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m a great admirer of Jane Isaac and her writing. I adore her Will Jackman series and have been crossing my fingers for a new instalment. I think we need one. Hint hint. Instead Isaac has gone forward with a brand new series, for us to devour. After He’s Gone introduces Detective Constable Beth Chamberlain.

After He’s Gone focuses on Beth, a family liaison officer. In the UK, a family liaison officer will work with the victims of crime and offer them support. They will stay in the victim’s home
Mark
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing

It was good, after reading Book 2 in the series to now read Book 1!!!
I want to point out, as said re Book 2 this can be read as a stand alone as well as before, after or in the middle of Book 2 😃😃
I already loved Beth and this was maintained through this book, she is a really good ‘cop’ but just on the edge of risque sometimes and I love her manner and the way she investigates crime and like a dog with a bone will not give up
I also like how the ‘private life’ stories within the main story are k
Cathy Ryan
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cameron Swift is shot dead outside his house in a quiet residential area early one Sunday morning, as he put his golf bag in the boot of the car. The biker assassin was gone before anyone saw him, leaving no trace, but not before he took the time to photograph Cameron’s body lying in a pool of blood. Soon afterwards an anonymous tweet appears showing the photo.

DC Beth Chamberlain is called in as part of the homicide team and given the position of Family Liaison Officer. Part of her job is to inv
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Although I read reviews that said the main character, Beth Chamberlain, was a strong character, I found her just the opposite. She's having an affair with her boss and keeping it from friends, relatives and coworkers. She seemed a peripheral part of the case until the last 25% of the book in which she just lucks into action. But it could be that nothing happened during the first half of the book and everything seemed to be be done off page by undeveloped team members. She was constantly unable t ...more
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Jane Isaac’s writing and I was thrilled to be asked to read After He’s Gone for reviewing on the blog tour. It’s a book that is packed with secrets and it deals very well with the impact they have and the consequences on those involved.

DC Beth Chamberlain is a really great character. She is tenacious honest and unrelenting in her determination to do right by those that she is helping. I really liked reading about her and I look forward to more books in the future.

After He’s Gone r
Yvonne
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The story begins with being held at gun point! That got me straight away, nothing better than starting off with danger. Then I was taken back to the lead up to this point and to back to the beginning to speak. It was in the story that I met DC Beth Chamberlain and the team and her role as the Family Liaison Officer.

The author didn’t hang about starting this story. I do tend to worry when a story starts with a bang ( no pun intended, well maybe a little bit), can the author match the dramatic sta
Joanne Robertson
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited when I heard there was a new Jane Isaac book coming out but then I saw that it wasn’t a DI Will Jackman novel! Now I am a big fan of that fictional detective so wasn’t sure what to think when I realised he wasn’t in this book! But I do love Jane Isaacs writing so went in with an open mind to meet her new character, DC Beth Chamberlain who is a family liaison officer. She is sent in to support families who have been affected by crime but by being in their homes, she is also in th ...more
Sophie Bristow Harris
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jane Isaac is a new author to me, one that I kept meaning to try. I was drawn to the cover of "After He's Gone" by its air of mystery and suspense. What a cracking read!
The short snappy chapters kept me enticed with the thrilling plot. The characters were full bodied and there were more twists than a frozen Twirly Whirly!
A superb read which I hope will be the start to a fabulous series. I must read her previous books too as they sound just my kind of read too. Highly recommended.
Teresa
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After he's Gone is the first in a new series by this author with DC Beth Chamberlain heading up the investigation and tells the story of Cameron Swift who is gunned down in broad daylight outside the family home while his fiancee and children are inside the house.

Beth and the team are brought in to investigate what happened on that fateful day and, as the story unfolds, it turns out that Cameron wasn't the man people thought he was, every one has secrets but this man had them by the bucket loa
Joann
I've been a fan of Jane Isaac since I read a book of hers titled "Before It's Too Late" which is a Will Jackman series. When I saw she was starting a new series I decided to get on the bandwagon at the start as I know her books don't disappoint. And this one didn't!!! This stars Beth Chamberlain who is a Family Liaison Officer in the UK. I didn't think liaison officers did much and thought of them as baby-sitters but this book snuffed out that idea. Great start to a new series which I'll be foll ...more
Kate
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed meeting Beth Chamberlain, a Family Liaison Officer, and I'm looking forward to seeing her again. An excellent mystery, very well told. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Jo
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Finished this book in 2 days do I would say that it was a good one. The plot kept me interested right till the very end - a proper page turner. Plenty of twists to keep the reader interested. Don't want to spoil the storyline for anyone but I would recommend this title. Thank you to TBC and to the author for the chance to read this title in exchange for a honest review.
Colette Lamberth
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To be honest I was a bit miffed when I saw that the new Jane Isaac book had a new main character and not Will Jackman who is one of my favourite characters. I was seduced by the cover and jumped at the chance of an early copy. I was hooked in completely by the prologue and I think she has struck gold here and predict this will be a much loved series. The further I read there was definitely an urge to read quicker and quicker to find out exactly what was going on. Beth is a very likeable characte ...more
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
‘You think you know him.

Until he’s dead.’

After He’s Gone is a police procedural featuring DC Beth Chamberlain, as she takes on her first case as a Family Liaison Officer. Author Ruth Dugdall said ‘A refreshing female protagonist with guts and a heart…I was gripped.’

My thoughts:

'His body jolted with each impact, sending sprays of red leaping into the air before he folded to the ground. Ribbons of blood curled and coiled on the tarmac.’

Cameron Swift, forty-six years old, a man with a wife, kids
Angie Jones-Moore
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After He's Gone had me from the first page.

Straight away Jane Isaac had my attention, being nosy by nature, I couldn't help but want to find out more about this murder. What seems like a straight forward killing, turns into something more complex than you can imagine.

There are so many angles to consider, that Beth and the investigation team had me wanting to find out more each time I read. Beth is determined to prove herself to her superiors whilst having to deal with turbulence in her personal
Emma
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
After He's Gone opens with a terrifying prologue, shortly followed by a shocking first chapter guaranteed to get the heart rate up!  From that point forward I was hooked and wanted to know absolutely everything that was happening to these normal sounding people and of course, why it was happening.  Luckily we readers have the wonderful DC Beth Chamberlain on our side, persistently poking at the mysterious half-truths and secrets in an attempt to solve a somewhat bewildering case for Northampton ...more
ReadandRated
5 stars from me

Having read and loved Jane Isaac's previous novels, I was thrilled to be offered a chance to read After He's Gone, featuring new main character Beth Chamberlain. Having read Jane's previously novels and enjoyed getting to know Will Jackman I was surprise to see a new lead in this book but I have to say it worked brilliantly - I can't wait to read more about Beth and hey who knows, maybe she and Will can work together in the future :)

It is a simple yet clever story which unfolds gr
Nicola Southall
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first book I’ve read by Jane Isaac and it won’t be the last.
Great cover, a little different from lots of other crime novels lately so that made me interested. This book follows Beth the family liaison officer which is interesting as it’s a crime novel that isn’t taking the usual stance of following the detective or the pathologist.
Got into this book straight away the story is interesting and gripping and kept me turning the pages as I wanted to know what was going to happen next. Great to t
Mahasweta
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very well-written and enjoyable. It is gripping from the beginning and I liked the way information was revealed about the victim & his family. The pace of the book is good & for most part it is unpredictable. This is a police procedural, a first in the series, and introduces the character of DCI Beth Chamberlain. I liked her gutsy character and the mature way it was handled by the author. There is insight both into Beth’s job and her life outside work; a thorough charac ...more
Natalie
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was very excited to see Jane Isaac asking for reviewers on Twitter to read her latest book, and even more excited to see it land in my inbox – I’d enjoyed ‘The Truth Will Out’ tremendously. And just like DCI Helen Lavery in ‘The Truth Will Out’, Isaac gives us DC Beth Chamberlain as a well-written strong female lead, and this is one of the standout features of ‘After He’s Gone’.

As Cameron Swift is gunned down, execution style, outside his family home in a well-to-do estate, the life he held to
Maggie
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reading a lot of police procedurals you come across the Family Liaison Officer (FLO) a lot. They always seem to hover in the background making lots of tea & passing lots of tissues! This book dispels this myth & shows that this role can involve a lot more- at least when Beth Chamberlain is the FLO in question!

Cameron Swift is gunned down outside his home one sunny morning. Beth becomes the FLO to Monika, his fiancee & her two boys. It soon becomes clear that Cameron Swift was a man o
Barbara Tobin
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read. I was lucky enough to be given the chance to read it pre-publication and I really enjoyed it. It held my interest from the first page and as with other books Jane has written just when you think you have worked it out there is an unexpected twist at the end. As an added bonus for me the book is written about the area I live so I am familiar with the places mentioned. I really liked the character of Beth Chamberlain and I look forward to Jane's next book.
Maureen Moyes
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was offered both the DC Beth Chamberlain books, After He's Gone and Presumed Guilty., to read and review as part of an online reading group I belong to.  I was so excited to read them after a quick glance at the synopsis - these were clearly my type of read! Unfortunately, life got in the way (brain blip and house move) and it was a while before I was able to sit and enjoy Jane Isaac's writing.

Having just finished After He's Gone I wanted to get the review typed up quickly so I can begin rea
Claire
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a shocker of a start! The unassuming Cameron Swift, getting ready to go play golf, is shot on his driveway. He’s not upset anyone, investment manager, loving father and partner. Why would anyone want to kill this man??

The more I read of this police procedural, the more I questioned “Who is Cameron Swift?” just as the anonymous tweet told us to. He started to be come a multi-layered man – did anyone really know him? As I read, I believed the whole story hinges on Beth finding out who Cameron
Amanda
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book had me gripped from the prologue, a seemingly straightforward professional hit on a "family man" Cameron Swift, what ensues is his life unfolding to one of deceit, but who wanted him dead and why?
Beth Chamberlain is the DC who acts as FLO, the closer she gets to those closest to Cameron the more questions than answers appear. She is a really likeable character and we see glmpses of her personal life allowing the reader to get to know her better .
A great ending and I can't wait for the
Mel Burns
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
wow.....beth is a force not to be messed with. I was gutted when I got to the end of the book. I just wanted the book to carry on to find out if she is ok with the investigation into her. When is the next one out? p.s. can not wait.
« previous 1 3 next »
Jane Isaac is married to a serving detective and they live in rural Northamptonshire, UK with their daughter, and dog, Bollo. Jane's debut novel, An Unfamiliar Murder, introduces DCI Helen Lavery and was nominated as best mystery in the 'eFestival of Words Best of the Independent eBook awards 2013.'

The Truth Will Out, the second in the DCI Helen Lavery series, was nominated as 'Thriller of the Mon

DC Beth Chamberlain (2 books)
  • Presumed Guilty (DC Beth Chamberlain, #2)