Start by marking “Make Time: How to focus on what matters every day” as Want to Read:
Make Time: How to focus on what matters every day

Make Time: How to focus on what matters every day

'If you want to achieve more (without going nuts), read this book.' Charles Duhigg

'Essential reading for anyone who wants to create a happier, more successful life.' Gretchen Rubin

Nobody ever looked at an empty calendar and said, 'The best way to spend this time is by cramming it full of meetings!' Or got to work in the morning and thought, 'Today I'll spend hours on Faceb

Published September 27th 2018 by Transworld Digital (first published September 25th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Make Time, please sign up.

Start your review of Make Time: How to focus on what matters every day
Cindy Pham
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great reminder to prioritize your life around your passions and values rather than reacting to what other people/your job/society demands from you. It's a better way of redefining productivity to what suits you, not for the sake of busywork. I'm not rating it 5 stars because I don't consider the book to be life-changing or providing any new advice, but I still think it is a solid read with a personable writing style and enjoyed the framework that the authors outlined, which I plan on referenci ...more
Imola
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Make Time was a game-changer for me. It gave me permission to work on my own priorities instead of reacting to everyone else's. I was a test reader for this book and had the chance to practice the techniques for the past 6 months. I have to say, I've noticed a big change in not just how I work but also what I consider important.

One of my biggest fears in life is the sense that I'm not using my time in the best way that I can. There's so much I want to make time for but it just never works out -
Michael
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first finished the book, my gut was a 3-star review for 'good' but not really adding to the conversation from other treatise on productivity and focus - then, I started to experiment and implement some of the suggestions. I tried removing email and Safari from my iphone, setting an intention outside my normal routines, and planning more of my day outside of work - and decided to up the book to 4 stars. I don't think Make Time breaks new ground, but it does take a lot of strong concepts an ...more
Tim Lancaster
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid. Much of the advice is not necessarily new, but it is presented simply and in a memorable framework.
Karis
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Useful and practical advice about honoring our priorities in life, written in a personable and humorous style.
Katy
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here’s an embarrassing fact about me- most self help books rub me the wrong way because I hate being criticized and I hate being told what to do. My petty self has abandoned many a non fiction advice book for ‘tone’ issues. Luckily for me, something about this book resonated and I was able to accept their suggestions as helpful logic that I could choose to employ myself, or not. Maybe it was something about their little doodle faces but Jake and JZ came across as friendly and non judgemental. Ma ...more
Zoë
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this book almost six months ago, and really enjoyed the beginning. It provides some helpful productivity advice in a light and breezy writing style. There's nothing really groundbreaking here, but I still found it helpful: the key ideas are to choose one Highlight for each day, use various techniques to increase your focus (often by reducing distractions) and increase your energy, and refine your process continuously by reflecting on what works and what doesn't. Many of the techniques ...more
Vuk Trifkovic
In which two people who worked very hard on making all these apps tell you how to put in the effort to ignore the said apps in order not to go completely insane.

Some good tips. Some typical SV bullshit. I suspect very useful and effective though.
Azita Rassi
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable book with lots of helpful practical tips. I look forward to using some of the suggested tactics in 2019, and I might want to listen to this book again. The audiobook was delightfully performed, too. A great book to put an end to a great year of reading.
Robin
We read Cal Newport's Deep Work recently for book club at work, and I thought I'd supplement it with this while I was engaged in a concerted effort to be more thoughtful about the way I apply my attention, to what, and why. This is a fast read that works quite well as a peppy companion volume to Newport's more discursive approach.

In fact, this book is almost disastrously cheerful. The bright yellow case wrap framing the open book in your hands, the cartoonish illustrations, and the chat-bubble
Kair Käsper
This is a useful, but superficial book from the authors of Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days. The opus tries to capture all of the popular nuggets on productivity, sleep, diet, meditation, fitness and put them into one. As a result it reads like a collection of blog articles and should be taken as such.

I’d say roughly half of the book stems from the authors’ personal experience and the other half is based on second-hand scientific truths from popular writers
Bartosz Majewski
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Very good book. It's an actionable toolkit for finding time in our busy lives for things that really matter for us. By the end of this week, I will implement at least 20 tactics I've found in it. It's been less than 24 hours since I started to read it (I've finished quickly, it's short) and I've already started to feel positive changes from what I have implemented. Good stuff. Highly recommended. I've listened to an audiobook on audible, this book works in this medium well.
Erin
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a public librarian, who prefers borrowing books over purchasing them, this is one I’m considering buying for keeps. It’s logical, simple, easily digestible, and doesn’t ask for the moon. I highly recommend to anyone who feels overwhelmed at work, at home, in life, etc.
Alli B
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is kind of a game changer for me. I’m implementing many of these strategies and can already see myself happier and more productive, especially at work.
Fanny Bergerstam
I enjoyed this book in so many ways, and I am confident that I will continue to enjoy it long after I finished it. An easy, fun and uplifting book about taking control of your time, step by step. After reading this I started reflecting about how my life felt like a blur, constantly waiting for the future to come to me. I came to understand the importance of the everyday life, and how I could stop living in default mode.
Dan Connors
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-books
This is a breezy little book with cute illustrations that covers an important topic- how to not waste your life. There are so many more distractions now than just a generation ago. The authors call them the busy bandwagon and the infinity pools. They reflect the infinite time-wasters that occupy a majority of our lives- from spending too much time on emails and You Tube videos to watching television.

In our immersive world, they have a deceptively simple system to make sure that you get the most
Christine
The content of this book is not revolutionary for those familiar with popular time management literature (i.e. limit the number of things you focus on each day, limit distractions such as technology, eat healthy food and exercise regularly, and reflect and adapt accordingly). However, the book uses clever labels and fun illustrations for well-worn concepts and packages the dense literature about maximizing time into an easy, accessible read. The ultimate takeaway is we can be more productive by ...more
Ana Avila
I hesitated between 3 and 4 stars for this book, so let's say I gave it 3.5 stars.

I think the problem was I read the audio version. It's an enjoyable audiobook, but I don't think "Make Time" will be very valuable if you only listen to it. It has too many tips and tricks and it can quickly become overwhelming for someone who's trying to be more productive. Even the eBook would be impractical. If you really want to implement the authors' advice, get a physical copy.

Personally, as I am constantly r
Mehrsa
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some good tips in here that will help increase productivity, but the book is a compilation of tips from a whole bunch of other books. I usually prefer to go to the source, which here would be Duhigg's Habit books, the Deep Work book, and Rapt.
Razvan Tugui
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will change quite a few "defaults" from my life for sure. I've started to get back my time spent on "infinity pools" and use it to work on my daily highlight instead.

If before starting to read the book, I had the compulsory habit of checking Twitter, Facebook and my email, now I'm perfectly fine to check them only once at the end of the day for a few minutes just to see if something important needs my attention. Are days when I don't even open Twitter or email at all. And you know tha
Olivia
I enjoy the overall style of this book, and it is such a quick and easy read (made fun with doodles and commentary).

Strong intro highlighting the importance of prioritizing what matters (I was underlining a lot of points they made). I like that this book was not one with a 'know-it-all' approach, and acknowledges that it's not expected that readers do every single one of their tactics. A couple of the 87 tactics did resonate with me and I can see myself looking back on them for reference.

Many o
Kristen
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book as part of my never ending quest to manage my time effectively. I’ve been giving a lot of thought to my relationship with email and to do lists. This was surprisingly charming and had some really interesting ideas about those things. I plan to try their recommendations about maximizing caffeine. While these men talked about family a small amount, I’m always looking for more about how to prioritize family “highlights” with work “highlights.”
Sheena
Aug 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So the beginning of this book was engaging, but about halfway through it felt like a struggle to finish. The content just wasn’t revolutionary or truly inspiring. Many of the topics they discussed, I’ve read in various articles, Instagram captions, and typical self help books lol things like “eat a balanced meal” or “try to workout more often because it makes you feel good.” Idk...I just couldn’t get into it as much as I wanted to.
Fran
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-reads
Being intentional about how we want to invest our daily time. This is the actual goal of this book, and for it, Jake and JZ introduce us plenty of strategies (some controversial and some of them not) in order to achieve it. I love the honest and don't-be-a-hero approach the narrative uses, in the same way, that other books I loved like Atomic habits. A new favorite one.
jocelyn
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finja
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: digital
Okay-ish but a few really nice productivity tips by some former Google experts.
Martin
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think most of us know the empty feeling after realising you have refreshed your news feed for the 17th time. Not feeling any wiser or any more fulfilled. Or generally feeling like you’re running idle, not doing the things you really want to be doing?

For me, this book has helped me take a step back and zoom out on my own life. I would describe the book as offering a kind of structured ‘life-hack’ framework for asking yourself what you want to be doing and making sure you do it. It offers tools
Erik
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is eminently practical. While praising systems like Get Things Done, it strikes a middle ground for those who have fallen off the wagon more than once. The approach is simple and focused on you, not your to do list. You are encouraged to choose a highlight each day, which can be for work or personal growth; the goal is to leave you fulfilled each day. Their four steps — highlight, laser focus, energize, and reflect — are simple and backed by a total of 87 tactics. The idea is to try a ...more
Romans Karpelcevs
The books has some good advice, and it inspires to clean up your life and attention. My biggest problem was, it's too basic. I'm already aware of many of these techniques, as most are retold from many other sources and researches.

My biggest issues with ideas like "highlight for the day" is not that I don't find time to do the important thing, it's that my procrastination is usually caused by fear, anxiety or other mental things. It's much easier to uninstall Facebook, book a calendar slot, plan
Heidi
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because of work issues, I have really tried to focus on practical "self-help" books in the last year or so, and this book fit the bill.
As with many self-help books, the information isn't really new but in this case, the information was presented in both personal experience and practical suggestions, which for me, was super helpful. I can understand concepts quite well; however, the execution is usually my downfall because I don't always know HOW to go about making solid changes in my life. This
Coffee, Books, an...: Make Time by Jake Knapp and John Zeratsky 3 2 Jul 28, 2020 12:06AM

• Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • The Unfair Advantage: How You Already Have What It Takes to Succeed
  • The Motivation Myth: How High Achievers Really Set Themselves Up to Win
  • Anything You Want
  • How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking – for Students, Academics and Nonfiction Book Writers
  • Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
  • Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered
  • It Doesn't Have to Be Crazy at Work
  • The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • Hyperfocus: How to Be More Productive in a World of Distraction
  • The Bullet Journal Method: Track the Past, Order the Present, Design the Future
  • Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
  • Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Hell Yeah or No: what's worth doing

News & Interviews

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”  Theodor Geisel said...
“Every time you check your email or another message service, you’re basically saying, “Does any random person need my time right now?” 10 likes
“Believe in your Highlight: It is worth prioritizing over random disruption.” 2 likes