Start by marking “Cracked Open: A Poetry Collection” as Want to Read:
Cracked Open: A Poetry Collection

Cracked Open: A Poetry Collection

Cracked Open is a down to earth and vulnerable journey following the human heart as it searches for love. This collection cracks the reader's chest wide open and nourishes the heart it touches. Rising author Megan O'Keeffe offers a raw and open narrative to pull you into every poem and emotion. Divided into five chapters, this debut book also features twenty never before s ...more
Published April 16th 2018 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Cracked Open, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cracked Open

Start your review of Cracked Open: A Poetry Collection
Isabelle
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
The topic of love and betrayal is one much written about. It's difficult to write about heartbreak and make it uniquely your voice - and I think that's what I really craved reading this collection. I wanted to know the specifics of the love and the relationship, what made Megan uniquely fall in love with this person, and why?

For example:

'LOST LOVE
We lost the love we once had
and I don’t think we can get it back. It was beautiful and magical, something I had never felt before.
But I don’t feel it
Kali Cole
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A brutally honest and conflicting story of love and heartbreak and healing told through poetry and beautiful illustrations. I’m very thankful that I got to read this and the author personally gifted this to me in exchange for a review. I really enjoyed this book! I hardly ever get to read a poetry book that measures up to Milk and Honey or The Princess Saves Herself in this One and both could be compared to this because the stories seemed of similar tone. Very quick and worth the read.
Rae
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, arc, bt-e-book, fiction
Check out this review and others on my blog: https://thriftybibliophile.com

Cracked Open by Megan O'Keeffe is an emotional journey through heart break and love. It takes you through highs and lows as the author progresses from loss to love.

Admittedly, I don't read a ton of poetry books. It's not that I don't like them, it's just that I never think to pick them up! When the author of Cracked Open reached out to me, I was instantly intrigued by her book. I'm happy I accepted, because I thought this
Rachel
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
*I received a review copy from the author. All opinions are my own. This review was originally posted on RachelPoli.com.

Book Cover

I think the book cover is very pretty. I like the colors and it certainly looks like exactly what the title suggests – something is cracked open.

First Thoughts

I’ve read my fair share of poetry collections so I was more than happy to give this one a try.

Plot

Cracked Open is about the narrator getting over her lover. And… that’s pretty much it. There is a happy ending bu
Steph ✨
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was sent a copy of this collection in exchange for an honest review.

I don't usually read poetry, it's not a genre I would usually reach for. However, the book sounded interesting and I thought I'd give it a go.

I really enjoyed reading some of these poems. Some of them hit home with me, but I think they were beautifully written and very nicely presented with illustrations every few pages.

My favourite poems were:

I'm a book worth reading
Did you ever love me?
Conversations we should be having but I
Gabriella
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was sent this poetry collection by the author for an honest review and so here it is. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't something that made me cry because I felt a connection. Maybe I'm finally healing, who knows. I definitely recommend giving it a shot if you're going through a break up and whatnot because you might just find your own feelings within. I also really appreciated the artwork. It really matched the tone throughout. I think my favorite was of a dagger through the heart. Something I'm su ...more
Alfeesya
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very late review, but here it is! The book is beautifully written and I do enjoy every word of it. It’s a little bit emotional too as I could feel a lot of feelings in that book. It should be a real quick read but I was busy for the past weeks, but still manage to read this! I don’t really read poetry but this book got me into read more! If you’re a poetry lover then, this book is the one!
Melissa
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wish I could give this a higher rating but I just couldn’t connect with the poetry; the words fell flat for me personally. Felt more like lyrics. There also wasn’t enough variety in the romantic conflict theme (is there a word for that?) as I felt some of the poems were repetitive.
Miss December
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
The cover and the artwork are the standouts here. I liked how the book was broken up into sections that were headed in a story-telling direction, but the poems themselves could've been a lot stronger. They're really general and don't use strong vocabulary or imagery.
Jupiter Grant
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A series of lovely and heartfelt vignettes.

Megan O'Keeffe's debut collection is a very readable mix of the sweet and the sour of love and relationships. There are some really resonant lines and phrases that had me going back and poring over them again, savouring them.
Jill O'Keeffe
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read! Very very relatable for anyone who's been in a relationship and gone through a breakup. Really makes you feel the emotions and could be very cathartic for anyone going through a breakup. This author is going to do big things!
LYNNE M. CONNOLLY
Great.

Excellent read. Great collection of poetry from a true romantic. Thanks for sharing with the world. Can't wait for your next one.
Juliette
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received a copy of Megan O’Keeffe’s Cracked Open for review purposes. As always, this review reflects only my honest thoughts on the book.*

When I first received my copy of Cracked Open, I was immediately struck by the beauty of the cover–the image here really doesn’t do it full justice! I’ve tried to explain the impact this had on my reading of the poems within but, so far, I’ve failed: It’s as though the earth has cracked open beneath you like the speaker’s heart and you’re wallowing in an o
LYNNE M. CONNOLLY
Jul 21, 2018
abby.
Dec 07, 2018
Megan O'Keeffe
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books
Mar 15, 2020
William Remsen
Jun 20, 2018

• I Am Not Your Final Girl
  • endless night.: a collection of poems about mental illness
  • craving chaos
  • Unveiled: How Western Liberals Empower Radical Islam
  • Paperbacks from Hell: The Twisted History of '70s and '80s Horror Fiction
  • Rediscover the Saints: Twenty-Five Questions That Will Change Your Life
  • The Beautiful Ones
Megan's sophomore collection Where I Ache out June 10th!! Megan OKeeffe is an up and coming poet with her debut collection Cracked Open. She has been writing poetry for over a decade before publishing her work on her blog Debatably Dateable. A romantic at heart, Megan can’t help but draw inspiration from the love and relationships around her. Always developing her art though, Megan touches on ment ...more

News & Interviews