Start by marking “Judgment” as Want to Read:
Judgment

Judgment

New York Times bestselling author Joseph Finder returns with an explosive new thriller about a female judge and the one personal misstep that could lead to her--and her family's--undoing.

It was nothing more than a one-night stand. Juliana Brody, a judge in the Superior Court of Massachusetts, is rumored to be in consideration for the federal circuit, maybe someday the hig
Published January 29th 2019 by Dutton

To ask other readers questions about Judgment, please sign up.
Mary Rand Definitely a stand alone. It is a great legal thriller. Pair it with vodka, it has a timely Russian twist.

Susanne Strong
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, edelweiss
3.5 Stars* (rounded down)

A Complex, Intense Thriller!

Juliana is a married Superior Court Judge. While at a Conference she meets a handsome man and for the first time in her life, Juliana cheats on her husband. Little does she know, it’s a set up. Juliana is presiding over a sexual harassment case - and some powerful people would like for her to rule in a very specific way and will do whatever it takes to get her to rule in their favor. That includes, blackmail and even murder. If Juliana doesn’
Elizabeth
Dec 12, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Judgment has an interesting premise: an up-and-coming judge based in Boston has a one night stand while at a conference in Chicago. A marital risk? Yes, but Judge Juliana Brody decides that since it's very clear it's a onetime moment, it's a minimal risk.

Obviously, her judgment is flawed on that. (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Juliana is immediately blackmailed over the one night stand regarding an ongoing case she's presiding over and suddenly she's in a dangerous place where not just her career but
Dave
Finder’s Judgment explores how even the most sacred institutions could become susceptible to blackmail and how doing the wrong thing is like drowning in quicksand that you keep falling deeper and deeper into. The story features a career-minded Massachusetts Judge who hopped into the wrong bed while at a conference and suddenly finds her marriage and career dangling from a thin thread as her misdeed is used to bend her will and her rulings in a sex discrimination case. From there, it’s a cat and ...more
Kathleen
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Best-selling author Joseph Finder has packed his latest thriller with lots of action. It all starts with Massachusetts Superior Court Judge Juliana Brody presiding over the case of Rachel Meyers versus Wheelz. Meyers is claiming that the management of Wheelz created a hostile work environment due to sexual harassment. So Juliana is one surprised judge when Matias Sanchez is added to the defense team right after she spent a night with him at a Chicago conference. It isn’t hard to deduce that the ...more
Patrice Hoffman
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have been a fan of Joseph Finder for quite some time now so when I was approved for a review of Judgment I broke into the requisite approved dance and got to reading ASAP. Like other reads by this author, the suspense does not letup and before long, the last page is turned, and the last sentence is read. I always look back like what the hell? I wasn't ready for it to end.

Judgment introduces us to the honorable Judge Juliana Brody who usually plays it safe until one night, against her better ju
Ellen
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Joe Finder's standalones are always good, but this one made me so tense in places I actually had to set it down and walk away for a minute or two, while I remembered it was only fiction. Juliana is an extremely believable character, and it's always fun to see how he gets the little details right. (Full disclosure: I'm Joe's researcher.)
Deb Jones
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this a thoroughly enjoyable read with suspense that built over the entirety of the story, mostly of the psychological type, but with some dead bodies thrown in occasionally. I was always eager to find out what was going to happen next.

Ellen ✦ Book Bellas ✦
Smart and so intriguing! Loved it! The attention to detail was fantastic. This was my first book by Joseph Finder and I can see now why he’s my husband’s favorite author. A female judge who’s being blackmailed? The author hooked from the start! Suspenseful, intelligent and very witty, ‘Judgment’ was a fantastic crime thriller. Highly recommend.
3 no 7
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Judgment” by Joseph Finder poses the question “How much will a mother, wife, judge, do to protect her family?” It is a story rich in complexity and moral challenges. Judge Juliana Brody is Chicago on a business trip when she meets Matías Sanchez. It was just one night, but a night that will change everything about her life forever.

Juliana’s husband, Duncan, is a professor at New England Law. There were a few problems in their marriage, if she were being honest, that were bigger than that one i
Kay
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery, thriller
The Judgement was fast paced and difficult to put down. A great thriller involving a female judge trapped in situation that could ruin her career and family. The characters are good, my favorite - the private investigator.
Natalie
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was amazed at both how much I enjoyed this book as well as how incredibly topical it is. It is the story of Judge Juliana Brody, a judicial star whose life was upended by the mistake of sleeping with a stranger. This proves to be the catalyst for the rest of this totally engrossing thriller.

That night becomes her KOMPROMAT, as her life is swallowed by threats from the Russian MAFIYA, demanding that she must obey their wishes or she and her family will be murdered. So much like the stories tha
Cassie-Traveling Sister-
I enjoyed reading this book! I finished it in two days! I was in such a reading slump finally I picked this book and I completely devoured it! The Judgment by Joseph Finder was a complete thrill ride, Juliana Brody is a Superior Court Judge in Boston. While attending a legal conference she decides to have a few drinks at the hotel bar. This is not a normal act by her she usually stops at one and leads a pretty scheduled life and she prides herself on that. She meets the handsome man Matias he’s ...more
Nora
Jan 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
I’ve read that there are no new, original plots, only new ways to tell an existing plot. This book takes the dumbest, most boring, told a gazillion times plot and does nothing even remotely original or even interesting with it.

You just want to slap the lead character silly for being so stupid in how she handles the situation.

Finder is one of my three favorite authors. I adore his writing. It was tedious but I kept reading because I hoped Finder would redeem himself and turn this completely lose
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
Joseph Finder’s bibliography cuts a wide swath, from his addictive series featuring corporate investigator Nick Heller to his high-concept, stand-alone financial and legal thrillers. His latest novel is set primarily in the legal arena and seems so close to the real world that the reader doesn’t wonder if something like the events portrayed in the book happened, but when.

JUDGMENT begins with an interesting setting and quickly ratchets up the suspense from there. Juliana Brody is a highly respect
Mark Marcus
Feb 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Although I like the writing style of the author, I gave this book one star because the outcome of the storyline is completely unbelievable, not realistic. No one who battles the forces of evil, such as those described in this book, comes out unscathed. It’s just not possible.
Martin Axel
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Great premise. Unbelievable development. Could never be. A judge becomes superwoman all within days. A spy. A lecturer. A defender of family.
Two stars becuz I fought my way through the end.
Susan
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
JUDGMENT is a bit of a stretch. I will admit that judges can be bought and blackmailed--but this story seems beyond the pale. If a judge is going to be foolish enough to have a one night stand--why, pray tell, does she not have it in her own room.
The conspiracies nestled within conspiracies like Russian nesting dolls are more annoying than intriguing. I wish I cared more for Juliana Brody or her husband or her son. They are characters in search of a sympathetic reader.
Bookstash
RJ McGill
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Can one choice change your life? You bet! Just ask Juliana Brody. Superior Court Judge, and the star of Judgment. The new suspense legal thriller from the master of fiction entertainment - Joseph Finder.

A single choice. A lapse in judgment. Just one change your life. Just ask Juliana Brody. Superior Court Judge, wife, mother of two, and the star of Joseph Finder's latest stand-alone, suspense-legal-thriller.

Far from home, attending yet another boring conference Juliana will discover she forgot t
Steve
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finder is known for writing plots that could, at least in theory, happen to anyone. The idea being that the protagonist isn't someone of extraordinary means who does something outlandish to trigger the events of the story. In this case, it's the story of a woman's single lapse in judgment that causes a series of peripheral events that threaten to send her life spiraling forever out of control. And the "mission" being, what can one normal person do to pull that life back from the precipice and br ...more
Mainlinebooker
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
You know you have a good thriller when your legs keep tapping on the ground from anxiety about what will happen next. A good combination of a courtroom procedural with escalating tension that enthralls the reader to read at a fast pace. When Judge Juliana Brody steps out of her normal rule filled life and has a one night affair with a stranger, she learns the hard way the cost of her bad decision. However, when he walks into her courtroom after they had promised never to see one another, she gra ...more
Wayne
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The tension builds from Chapter 1 right up to the final chapter in this terrific novel by Joseph Finder.
Juliana Brody, a highly respected Massachusetts judge has to confront an error in judgment that threatens to destroy her family (professor husband, 16 year old son, and 19 year old daughter) and her reputation in legal circles. Her indiscretion brings out unknown enemies with the aim of forcing her to decide in their favor in a case currently before her.
Of the 15 Finder novels I have read, 6 h
Vicki
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-to-read
I'm not usually into crime fiction, but this book appealed to me since it's about a female judge. It was very intense and full of suspense. It seems that Juliana finds trouble at every corner. It also has lots of current references to issues and people relevant today. It was almost like it was non-fiction. I enjoyed this book very much.

I received a copy of this book courtesy of the First to Read program.
Ron S
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
A most satisfying, if predictable, page-turner about a judge being blackmailed and finding scant help in the government of Trump's America. Finder could have developed changes in D.C. far more deeply, or explored issues of sexual harassment post #MeToo, but in the end this is a fine page thriller for a plane ride or the beach you land at.
Carol
Stunning, riveting and emotional read!!
A fresh, uniquely page turner with twists
and turns that will keep you on the edge
of your seat. The tension was very thick
and well sustained throughout the story.
The characters were well developed, very
interesting and very realistic.
A Highly Recommended Read!
I volunteered to read Judgment. Thanks to
Penguin’s First-to-Read Program for the
opportunity. My opinion is my own.
Felicia Glover
I have enjoyed the “Nick Heller” series from this author but was disappointed with this read.
Sybil Brown
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Good story

I really love Joseph Finder’s books. We had a storm come thru which knocked out my electricity and I have been reading this book for the last seven hours. Just finished it and as I said it is one of his best. However as a supporter of President Trump, the little dog with his Trump toy could have been left out, and the book would have been just as good. It was just uncalled for and wasn’t as cute to me as he obviously intended it to be and was disrespectful to our President and because
Tracy Tomic
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Was really looking forward to this one, but it sort of fizzled for me about 3/4 of the way through.
David Lowrey
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joseph Finder is a widely read author in the thriller genre and "Judgement' does not disappoint. I found this book compelling and I highly recommend it.

Juliana Brody is a judge in Boston and is sitting on a demanding case: a uber-like startup, Breezi, is being sued for sexual harassment by a former female employee. While at a law conference, Juliana makes a bad decision and sleeps with a man who unknown to her is working for Breezi. Their rendezvous is videotaped and Breezi threaten to expose he
Jill Elizabeth
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Finder's books, like those of Simon Lelic, are always easy to read and engaging but difficult for me to review afterwards, because when I stop to think about the plot I realize how many times I had to suspend disbelief just to keep reading. This leads me to the concomitant realization that, while they are engaging and generally quick reads, they have a lot more holes in the final analysis than one notices whilst in the midst of the reading... That isn't to say the read itself isn't an enjoyable ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 2 7 Feb 22, 2019 01:55PM
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • Out of the Dark (Orphan X, #4)
  • Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
  • The Last Second (A Brit in the FBI, #6)
  • The Perfect Alibi (Robin Lockwood #2)
  • Ninth and Nowhere
  • The Chef
  • Mission Critical (Gray Man, #8)
  • The Wedding Guest (Alex Delaware, #34)
  • The Night Agent
  • The Fourth Man  (Jack Reacher, #23.5)
  • Run Away
  • The Big Kahuna (Fox and O'Hare #6)
  • Blood Orange
  • House Arrest (Joe DeMarco #13)
  • Daughter of War (Pike Logan, #13)
  • The Bourne Nemesis (Jason Bourne, #15)
  • One Fatal Mistake
Joseph Finder is the author of the forthcoming novel JUDGMENT and fourteen other novels, many of them New York Times bestsellers, published in 35 countries around the world. His book HIGH CRIMES was adapted into a movie starring Morgan Freeman and Ashley Judd; PARANOIA was made into the Harrison Ford/Gary Oldman film.

He was born in Chicago, lived in the Philippines, Afghanistan, Washington State,