Start by marking “The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction March/April 2018 (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction Book 134)” as Want to Read:

NOVELLAS

A Swim and a Crawl – Marc Laidlaw
The Harmonic Resonance of Ejiro Anaborhi – Wole Talabi
Down W
Published May 8th 2018

Be the first to ask a question about The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction March/April 2018

Brian
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed every piece in the collection, perhaps my favorite of the nine issues I’ve read. I found some new writers I like.

Runners Up:

Deep Sea Fish, Chi Hui:
A beautiful story, reminded me of a literary, philosophical-type anime. It has a message in the plot, set in a unique and unsettling world.

Hideous Flowerpots, Susan Palwick:
Beautiful story with a feminist flavor about women coming together to overcome personal issues. They use a device that interconnects their thoughts, found by chance. The
Beth Cato
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good issue, with numerous stand-out pieces:
(Novella) Likho by Andy Stewart, a fantastic, creepy tale set around the ruins of Chernobyl
(Novelet) The Satyr of Brandenburg by Charlotte Ashley, a fresh historical setting with fun characters
(Novelet) Deep Sea Fish by Chi Hui, my favorite of the batch. Classic sci-fi kind of tale with resonance and depth.
(Story) The Next to the Last of the Mohegans by Joseph Bruchac, great voice and mix of native tales with a modern setting
(Story) The Beast from Below
G33z3r
Enough good stories to make issue worthwhile.

"Likho" by Andy Stewart
Engaging adventure story as woman hires guide for illegal trip into the Chernobyl contamination zone, following rumors of "ghost children" who were left behind in the evacuation. Add conflicting Orange Revolutionaries and secret government laboratories, and a touch of the supernatural. ****

"Deep Sea Fish" by Chi Hui
Colonists & researchers on Titan find ancient writings in the ice, signs of a vanished race. Terraforming proje
Rachel
So much good horrific fiction here:
-LOVED the violence and horror and heartbreak of "Hideous Flowerpots" by Susan Palwick
-read the Junji Ito-esque fable freakout "A Swim and a Crawl" by Mark Laidlaw twice
-still spooked by the unfriendly freshwater mermaids of "Down Where Sound Comes Blunt" by G.V Anderson
-mind-body-singularity in revolutionary Nigeria by Wole Talabi
-PLUS witch-children and magic drugs in Pripyat

I will never ever forgive myself for not writing William Ledbetter's "The Beast from
Kam Yung Soh
An above average issue, with interesting stories by Charlotte Ashley, Ted Rabinowitz and G.V. Anderson.

- "The Satyr of Brandenburg" by Charlotte Ashley: an interesting tale set in historical France with supernatural elements. A competition of duels is called but one of the participants is an unusual Satyr who would appear to have no sword skills but has the skill to seduce people into doing his bidding. This would be use to terrible effect on the other competitors until only one is left to resis
Leroy Erickson
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fandsfmag
This issue has several very good stories by new or almost new authors.

Charlotte Ashley - The Satyr of Brandenburg - 3 stars
- Sword and sorcery and women warriors. This story just didn't excite me.

Chi Hui - Deep Sea Fish - 4 stars
- Future archaeology, studying alien structures on the moon and on Titan. Well written but a bit sparse.

Joseph Bruchac - The Next to the Last of the Mohegans - 4 stars
- Native Americans, little people, magic, toe nails and a time machine. Now, make a story out of that
Renee Babcock
A really solid edition. Some of the stories were lighter entertainment. A couple standouts for me were Deep Sea Fish by Chi Hui, Likho by Andy Stewart, and Down Where Sound Comes Blunt by G. V. Anderson.
John Loyd
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fsf

7 • The Satyr of Brandenburg • 24 pages by Charlotte Ashley
Very Good/Good. La Heron has made her way to Castillo de Vico Zonza in hopes of finding a way for Alex to be released from her service. While she sends Alex to party with the nobles Heron is in a contest with a hefty purse for the winner. To her dismay the Satyr of Brandenberg is there. He cheats, he enchants his foes into eliminating each other. Heron fears, with good reason after we see the first battle, that Alex is in danger.

31 • De
Talie
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some jarringly fun short stories with such a great variety. Highly recommend these!
Mary Soon Lee
Mar 06, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
From Titan, to Chernobyl, to Nigeria, the stories in this issue of F&SF are varied in setting and mood, ranging from space-faring science fiction to eighteenth-century fantasy. I like the variety, as per usual, and thought this a particularly strong issue.

"The Satyr of Brandenberg," a fine novelet by Charlotte Ashley, left me wanting to read more about the characters' adventures. Chi Hui's story, "Deep Sea Fish," translated by Brian Bies, reminded me, yet again, how much I enjoy stories set
Michael Frasca
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Over the past few years, I have been reading more foreign SF and fantasy authors translated from their original language. Recently, I finished Roadside Picnic after watching Tarkovsky's Stalker.

I have realized that there is a lot of damn good SF and fantasy that I have been missing.

The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction has been trying to fill that void. it seems that each recent issue has included at least one translated story and/or "world" story. I have really been enjoying this.

My favor
Adeline
My favorite story turned out to be the last one in this issue: Down Where Sound Comes Blunt by G.V. Anderson.
Chris Orme
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
76/100 (2018 Reading Challenge)

For the most part this issue had some good stories. Ranging from really enjoyable to only one I totally did not like. But you expect that from collections of stories, even more so with multiple authors unknown to you. But it is always fun reading fresh (well okay fresh-ish, issue was March/April). Always had a space in my heart for short - novella stories, most likely due to my love of Stephen King. Clive Barker, Neil Gaiman. It’s why will continue to read magazine
B.  Barron
NOVELLAS
Likho – Andy Stewart - ***

NOVELETS
The Satyr of Brandenburg – Charlotte Ashley - ***
Deep Sea Fish – Chi Hui - *** - Clever.
Hideous Flowerpots – Susan Palwick - **
A Dog of Wu – Ted Rabinowitz - **** - Really nice post-apocalypse story.

SHORT STORIES
The Next to the Last of the Mohegans – Joseph Bruchac - *** - Do not muck with the fair folk.
The Beast from Below – William Ledbetter - **** - Fun 50's style monster story.
A Swim and a Crawl – Marc Laidlaw - *** - The afterlife is a #itch!
The Ha
Deborah Replogle
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Magazine and all stories were so good.
J. Allen Nelson
Another enjoyable round of stories, from diverse authors and viewpoints.
R
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Little heavy on fantasy for my tastes. I'm going to try a different magazine for a while. But I still have a 2 year backlog.
Lex
May 11, 2018
Sarah Nelson
Jul 15, 2018
Wole Talabi
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
MRN
Alyx
Jun 28, 2018
Andrew
Apr 05, 2018
Editor: The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction (fandsf.com).

Author: The Prodigal Troll, the Traitor to the Crown Series, and Wild Things, and dozens of short stories.

Awards: nominated for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer (2003), the Hugo Award (2003, 2009), the Locus Award for Best Magazine (2016), the Nebula Award (2003, 2009), the Sidewise Award (2003) Sturgeon Award (2009)