Start by marking “Under the Midnight Sun” as Want to Read:
Under the Midnight Sun

Under the Midnight Sun

The eldest son of Thunderhill's warrior-kings, Otto Johanson lives for battle but has forsaken love since the death of his partner three years ago. Still when the Midsummer festivities bring nomadic reindeer herders back to town, Otto can't help but notice the handsome, if sullen, Lukas.

Tension rises between them during the annual tournament, but when a terrible attack de
ebook
Published August 15th 2018 by Less Than Three Press

To ask other readers questions about Under the Midnight Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Midnight Sun

Start your review of Under the Midnight Sun
* A Reader Obsessed *
4.5 Hearts

Truly a well thought out novella bridging history, fantasy, and magic!

If you like the show Vikings, then I don’t think there will be any problem gobbling this up. Who can say no to a Ragnar-like character who’s a heartbroken warrior prince that doesn’t want to write off love but is still grieving? Not me!

Otto is well respected and next in line to the throne of his clan, and for every Midsummer, their nomad allies join them in celebration and friendly competition to show off their prowe
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from NetGalley

A pretty solid story, if a bit on the short side. I know what you're thinking, 'well you knew how long it was before you started reading it', but some authors can tell a complete and well rounded story in a hundred pages and some need a little bit more time. This was an example of the later but it was still a fun read and definitely an interesting base for what could be a larger universe.

It's set in a fantasy world that seems to be loosely based
Lore Graham
Jun 15, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
CONTENT WARNINGS available below:

(view spoiler)
Katja
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I was lucky to get an e-arc of this book through netgalley.

Under the midnight sun is a fast paced novella with LGBTQA+ and viking themes.
I was intrigued by the cover and the name.
In the beginning we were introduced to a lot of characters, and I'll be honest and say that put me off in the beginning. I put the book down and decided it would just be a book I didn't finish. Two days ago I decided to sit down and give it another try. Once past the introduction I found myself sucked into an universe
Joyfully Jay
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kris
A Joyfully Jay review.

I’m a sucker for great world building and Graham does a fantastic job in this novella. It feels familiar in a way similar to Norse mythology, but the author gives it a twist all its own. I loved the world the author created, and was completely immersed within it. Reindeer as mounts, small communities and big cities, same-sex partnerships being the norm, and women fighting alongside men. It’s completely believable in this author’s hands, and wonderfully done.

Otto i
Ryan
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
My only real complaint about this title is its brevity. Yes, I know that novellas are supposed to be brief, but there's some solid worldbuilding here, with little shining nuggets of lore studded throughout. At times it felt like the prologue to a much larger fantasy epic. I would happily invest in a five-book series exploring this world and the characters and monsters that live there.
As for the plot itself? Honestly, I expected it to be a bit...raunchier. There are a few steamy bits here and the
Kristel
As much as I enjoyed it with all the myths and likeable characters, it felt rushed. Too many things unexplained. Too many things just happened, just like that. The steamy scenes were a bit weird to read; there aren't many penises synonymous and the ones used sounded funny in that explicit context. They made me laugh, breaking the atmosphere of a promising naughty scene.

The book was too short. I think that with some adjustments and some more chapter between some scenes, this could be a great book
Andria Potter
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: LGBT Fantasy fans
I received this book from Netgalley after requesting it based on it’s title. The title was intriguing to me, and the cover was interesting as well. I wasn’t expecting an lgbt fantasy with Norse mythology however. It was a pleasant surprise, and a lovely read as well.

The book was a bit short, with only about eight or nine chapters, I flew through it with ease. The characters were likable, the storyline was interesting, but I wished there was more. Granted, I didn’t really need more for the story
L. Layale
This was an interesting novella. I appreciate the attempt for Nordic mythology of sorts. This may not be for everyone because it is short, but also somewhat slow as far as the development goes between Otto and Lukas.

The world had a lot of detail and more that I thought was interesting. I just don't have the same appreciation for novellas as I do fill novels because of little things like that. It's an interesting and arguably rich world story wise, but because it's a novella, there's not much de
Sahar
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm
Too short ! The world created by the author is so rich and interesting and only needs to be more flushed out. The story develops too quickly and we don't even have the time to get attached to the characters that it's already over.
I wish the author took the time to lengthen it to give it more depth. I feel like it has the potential to be an epic story.
Amara
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt-books
While this story probably didn’t quite have me on the edge of my seat, it’s rich mythos and descriptions still make for an enjoyable read. If you’re looking for lighter fantasy read with some m/m in it, you might want to give this one a try!

Check out my full review on Fiction Cove

Under the Midnight Sun, by Lore Graham
★★★★★
105 Pages
POV: 3rd person, one character
Content Warning: depictions of violence and death, mentions of lovers lost during battle

I absolutely loved this! It's been a while since I read a really good Viking story, and this was exactly what I'd hoped it would be, when I first read the blurb and requested it from Netgalley.

The worldbuilding is spot on – it's obvious right from
Ceillie Simkiss
You can read my full review here! ...more
Smote
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Overall this was an enjoyable read, though I did feel that it was largely a vehicle to write smut. I would have appreciated more attention to some of the details like more clearly defining the women's relationships as well or the biases against warriors and healers being one and the same. I loved the development of the relationship though and the respect being earned for listening and responsibility instead of just respect because of nobility.

(Weirder side complaint but for smut writing, it fel
Asher
blub
Aug 12, 2018

• The Black God's Drums
  • Bloom
Lore Graham is a queer author who lives in Massachusetts. Ze writes sci fi and fantasy romance, poetry, and rpg settings.

Lore is passionate about spectacular worlds and queer characters.

Outside of writing, Lore enjoys cooking, reading, and spending time with zir cat.

Lore's poetry has been published in Strange Horizons and Liminality.