Start by marking “Secrets of a Perfect Night” as Want to Read:
Secrets of a Perfect Night

Secrets of a Perfect Night

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  1,575 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Three spectacular stories all set on New Year′s Eve. First, Stephanie Laurens enthralls us with a New Year′s scandal, when a rake awakens in the bed of the temptress who seduced him years before. Then, Victoria Alexander enchants with her tale of a love promised, then foiled and then rekindled on another midnight. And Rachel Gibson delights with the reunion of two estrange ...more
Published December 5th 2000 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of a Perfect Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of a Perfect Night

Julianna
Dec 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Friends-to-Lovers or Reunion Themed Romance
Reviewed for THC Reviews
Scandalous Lord Dere by Stephanie Laurens - Scandalous Lord Dere is a tender, sensuous friends-to-lovers, reunion story, two of my favorite themes in romance. Stephanie Laurens seems to have a talent for writing richly descriptive prose that isn't at all boring, but instead draws the reader into the story as through they are actually there watching everything unfold. For a novella, I thought that the characterizations and plot were extremely well-developed. Adrian is a
Virginia
Oct 30, 2012 rated it liked it
I was a bit surprised by the inclusion of a modern romance story at the end of the book, but other than that, the three novellas were good enough. Nothing spectacular, but what can you expect from a novella?
Elaine
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
For short stories these are really good. Rachel Gibson was my favorite, but the other two were also good.
Judy Goodnight
Four stars for Stephanie Laurens' novella
Three stars for those by Victoria Alexander and Rachel Gibson
Elaine
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three stories about couples on New Year's Eve. Loved the first story. Liked the second one. The third one was my least favorite.
Anna D.
Oct 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: hr
4 stars - Scandalous Lord Dere (Adrian & Abby)
I enjoyed this story. Even as a short, I was able to get a full understanding of the characters, more so of Adrian than of Abby. We really get a sense of Adrian – his past, his hang ups, what affected him, what kind of man he is, and his true intentions. He has many layers. Abby, on the other hand, doesn’t have as many layers but we understand that she’s a good woman – honorable, strong, talented, capable, and reluctant to love because she’s had
Ellyce
Apr 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
I generally dislike novella versions or short stories that are focused solely on romance, mainly because they often have a rushed feel and the characters are generally flat.

I decided to give this anthology a try, and it proved to be no different from the rest. All three stories share a common theme of good friends who have romantic feelings for each other (and become lovers in the first two stories), only to have some sort of setback happen. Misunderstandings occur, they go their own ways, and
Fedora
May 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Short stories by Stephanie Laurens, Victoria Alexander, and Rachel Gibson; two historicals and a contemporary. They were OK (I think I've read the Laurens story before...) but not amazingly compelling. Each had some pluses to recommend them.

Ms. Laurens' story, Scandalous Lord Dere, has Lord Dere returning to his boyhood home. He and his tiger are waylaid by an unexpected snowstorm and are rescued by his childhood friend and one-time lover, Abby. I do enjoy a good friends-to-lovers story, and thi
Catsalive
Sep 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: aww-previous, 2015
Scandalous Lord Dere by Stephanie Laurens
A new year brings new scandal when a rake awakens in the bed of the flame-haired temptress who had seduced him years before. All of society has them bedded, but can he convince her to become wedded?

I'd actually rate this as a 3.5 - it was quite funny & enjoyable, & I liked both Adrian & Abby.

The Last Love Letter by Victoria Alexander
When their midnight elopement is foiled, a handsome young earl and his dazzling debutant swear to love each othe
Carrie Olguin
Nov 14, 2012 rated it liked it
This is an anthology, three romantic (short) stories from three different authors, two are historical and the last is a contemporary. Why the publisher chose to match the sub-genres, I don't understand?

The historical stories are about couples seperated and then reunited years later. They have to work out their pasts before they can begin their futures. Of course that means flashback chapters and pages of characters reflecting on the past.

I rarely read contemporary romances and the first few pag
Daron
Jan 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
I only read the Stephanie Lauren's story in it's entirety (glanced through the second and skipped the third because contemporary romance isn't really my bag) and I thought it was dull as dirt. The writing was uninspired, the characters were flat, and the story blah. I picked up the collection because it was on sale, and it wasn't worth the cents I spent on it.

If you're looking for good romance novellas, try Courtney Milan's "The Governess Affair" or "Unlocked"
Dawn
This is the best anthology I have read. I don't usually like them because the stories are so short and I don't feel I get to know the characters. Not so with these. Each one was very emotionally satisfying.

The first two by Stephanie Laurens and Victoria Alexander are Regencies. The third is a contemporary by Rachel Gibson. I truly loved them all and each had a sigh-worthy HEA. I almost hate to see them end.
Dawn ♥ romance
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed these three steamy new years reunion novellas. All had a good plot and action but it seemed the last third of each story was the characters internally debating about getting back together. Laurens – rake in snowstorm warmed by spinster; Alexander – young lovers plan to elope foiled; Gibson – good friends reconnect at class reunion.
Bonnie
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The reason I picked this book is because it was a three author book and 2 of them were my favorite. Stephanie Laurens and Victoria Alexander I love. Rachel Gibson is not really known to me but admit I enjoyed her story. It's an easy book to read for a summer afternoon at the beach. Try it!!!
Book  Minx
Nov 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: smut-shorts
Real enjoyed the story by Ms. Laurens. The other two were fun but both had totally unbelievable elements of the basic story.

It is cool to have a set that mixes historical and contemporary - I would like to see more of them!
Deborah Vespo
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Three short and sweet novellas by Stephanie Laurens, Victoria Alexander, and Rachel. All equally talented and entertaining authors. Nice book to read for those that are looking for short and mindless brain candy.
Laine
Jul 27, 2012 rated it liked it
i liked every story from three different authors although it was brief and short. loved how all through the years the here and heroine still have feelings for each other. but in my opinion these stories would have been great if they are all stand alone novels.
Mandy
Aug 03, 2013 rated it liked it
I didn't like all 3 of the stories in this book -- only the one by Rachel Gibson.
Yarnkettle
Apr 18, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-library
Read the first story. It was OK.
Then I gave up. I'm just not interested in the sex scenes. I want a romance novel not a sex book.
Jamie
Oct 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've only read the Rachel Gibson story. It was sweet:) I only wish it was longer!
Neeuqdrazil
Jul 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, read-in-2012
3 cheesy romance stories - 2 Regency, 1 modern. I normally don't enjoy modern stories, and this one reminded me why. It was fun, but felt forced.
Joan Mondragon
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Three stories by three different authors.
Bebe Four
Laurens: 3+ (Scandalous Lord Dere - historical)
Alexander: 3 (historical)
Gibson: 2+ (contemporary)
Surly
Dec 27, 2009 added it
The Scandalous Lord Dere
Now and Forever (2003)
Dancer
Jun 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Victoria Alexander's "The Last Love Letter" takes an unusual twist and gives a full novel in a novella.
Noemail
add to my book list

Lynda
Feb 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
three independent stories all a quick read. no depth of character all forgettable
Susan
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vc-library
SL~4.5 Grt Regncy, f/l indpndnt, fiesty, m/l smrt, lonely, dsillusnd; 1st AV~4.5 Vry wlldn lost lv reunitd; RG~3 Gd but not hr bst
 Shellbelle
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Rating is for the Rachel Gibson novella Now and Forever.
KellBell
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review only for Now and Forever by Rachel Gibson.
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • The One That Got Away (includes: Effingtons, #8.5)
  • Rough Around the Edges
  • Gifts of Love
  • Talk of the Ton
  • Lords of Desire
  • A Stockingful of Joy
  • The Further Observations of Lady Whistledown (Lady Whistledown, #1)
  • A Victorian Christmas
  • Three Times a Bride (Scoundrels, #3.5)
  • The Gifts of Christmas (Sommerville, #6.5)
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie
More about Stephanie Laurens...