Start by marking “An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good” as Want to Read:

An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  5,243 ratings  ·  1,168 reviews
Alternate cover edition of ISBN 9781641290111

Content:
- An elderly lady has accommodation problems
- An elderly lady on her travels
- An elderly lady seeks peace at Christmas time
- The antique dealer's death
- An elderly lady is faced with a difficult dilemma

Maud is an irascible 88-year-old Swedish woman with no family, no friends, andno qualms about a little murder. This
Published November 6th 2018 by Soho Crime

To ask other readers questions about An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good, please sign up.
Janell The copyright says that all stories in this book were first copyrighted in Swedish, and the first three were first published in a collection entitled…moreThe copyright says that all stories in this book were first copyrighted in Swedish, and the first three were first published in a collection entitled Mina Mindre Mord och Mysterier.(less)

·  5,243 ratings  ·  1,168 reviews

Start your review of An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good
Julie
An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good by Helene Tursten, Marlaine Delargy (Translator) is a 2018 SOHO Crime publication.

Well, if youve had your fill of gooey, saccharine sweet holiday books or movies, then this collection of vignettes featuring Maud, an eighty-eight year old serial killer, will cure your holiday sugar rush.

To be completely honest, I didnt do much homework when I borrowed this book from the library. One of my fine friends on Goodreads added this book to their TBR list and I thought
Debra
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dear sweet little old Maude....what a clever, serial killer you are! Plus, you are not so sweet. If fact, you are quite grumpy and calculating. Shes not your grandmother folks (unless, of course your Granny is a killer).

Maude is an 88-year-old Swedish Woman with no family or friends. Who needs them? Not Maude! She quite happy to do things on her own. Make travel arrangements, go on vacation, murder someone, surf the internet, etc.

Everyone needs a hobby! Well, it appears that apart from
Diane S ☔
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Meet Maude. She is not your stereotypical elderly lady. Definitely not the kind that distresses one when in a hurry and the car that is doing ten or more miles under the speed limit is driven by a littleold lady who can barely see over the steering wheel. Nor the one in the grocery checkout counting out her exact change one coin at a time, while we not so patiently wait for them to finish. Yes Maude is in her later eighties, lives in a large apartment where she is legally entitled to spend ...more
Sheri
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Resourceful. Intuitive. Discerning. Sharp. All words one might use to describe Maud. All positive attributes, you might say. But Maud also has a darker side. She can be cunning, devious, and coldhearted to "certain individuals". Whenever a dilemma pops up, Maud contemplates the problem at hand, and arrives at a perfectly wily solution. A fun read to entertain ones latent maniacal tendencies. Theres no rest for the wicked when revenge is so sweet! ...more
Diane Barnes
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A little book (literally) that packs a punch (figuratively)because Maud is not your typical 88 year old lady. When she sees a problem, she fixes it by getting rid of the source. It turns out that being old is a great disguise for a murderer.

3.5 stars rounded up for a great character. I hope we get more of these stories, the first five just whetted my appetite.
Bill Kerwin

Swedish author Helen Tursten is best known for her series of mysteries about Inspector Irene Huss (made into a series of films for Swedish TV), but, when she was asked to contribute to a Christmas anthology, she decided to write about a serial killer instead, a serial killer who happens to be an elderly lady,

Turstens heroine Maud is not a blood-thirsty monster, driven by bloodlust or malice. No, she is merely a stone-cold but reasonable sociopath. She believes in live-let-live, but, when
Jon Nakapalau
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What an original character! Maud will put a smile on your face even as you feel a shiver down your spine!
♥ Sandi ❣
4 stars

What a charming little book. Translated from Swedish, being made into a TV series in Sweden, I feel cheated that we are not also getting it in the United States.

Eighty-eight year old Maud is just a little devil. Set, and solitary, in her ways and always looking for the solution to her next problem. That solution, involving a bit of murder, does not dissuade her.

Humorous to the point of laughing out loud funny, this book is light, relaxed and enjoyable. The entertainment value far
Victoria
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
What is the deal with these curmudgeonly, geriatric Swedes? This one takes her ire to a new level, but I just didnt find enough of the promised hilarity to make it worthwhile. Others have loved, so maybe Im turning into a crotchety Cuban heading for a murderous streak in a few decades. ...more
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
88 year old no-nonsense Maud is a former teacher living rent free (thanks to a legal technicality after her father passed away when she was 18) in a spacious apartment in Gothenburg, Sweden.

In a series of short stories, we learn about Maud's life and her penchant for murder.  While most people see a feeble minded elderly lady who is half deaf and lacking the strength to hurt a fly, Maud uses this illusion to her advantage as she surfs the net for useful information on a stolen laptop and travels
Dita
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well...that was weird.
mindful.librarian ☀️
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Title is perfect. Cover is perfect. Maud is perfect. I have honestly never felt so justified in cheering for a murderer as I have with this book. This little old lady is LETHAL, and her age (late 80's) and infirmity (mostly faked) are the perfect defenses. If you are looking for something deeper in this book, I can assure you that my mind went often to the invisibility of older people in our society. While Maud surely took that to her advantage, it is something I think about often especially ...more
Connie G
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maud is an elderly Swedish woman with a benign exterior. She has no tolerance for anyone who crosses her, and deals out her brand of justice to those taking advantage of older people. Maud is responsible for a sizable body count in this small collection of five witty short stories. I enjoyed the humor in the stories, but I wouldn't want to meet Maud on a dark staircase.
Jeanette
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
For an 184 page group of stories this one is far more difficult to describe and evaluate than it would seem. For my taste and reading experience of it, that especially.

Because I do have mixed feelings. Mixed "eyes" for form, and mixed nuance to put this into true "category" itself. It's certainly not unique. But in the same breathe, it is also terribly memorable. With the emphasis on "terribly"- don't forget that angle.

Maud is 88 years old. Maud has an interesting history and birth family. And
Mara
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This basically makes me want to write fan fic where Maud visits St. Mary Mead in 1935 and shit gets real. Savage old lady mortal combat
K.J. Charles
A short but entertaining read: a set of stories about nonagenarian Maud whose solution to threats, inconveniences, or people not being very nice is basically to kill them, and get away with it because nobody takes elderly ladies seriously. Hilarious concept executed entertainingly. A couple of Maud's murders are carried out for moral reasons, which is kind of a shame because the glorious amorality is my favourite thing about this. Don't pick on old ladies.
Carolyn
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a delightful, cozy crime story. Not a mystery as we knew the perpetrator and the motive for each criminal act. Maud is an elderly, apparently frail 88-year-old Swedish lady. She lives rent free in a large home which belonged to her family and had been divided into apartments. She appears feeble, uses a walker and hearing aids to fool people. Her pastimes are surfing the internet, visiting a luxury spa, extensive travel, and murder. She has no hesitation killing people who annoy her and ...more
Rissa
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-favorites
No she couldnt possibly kill a man half her age and twice her size. Thats ridiculous shes 89 for gosh sake!
Maud is an old woman that just wants to live her without distractions and annoying people. If someone gets in her way she gets rid of them and while reading i was like why am i okay with her killing people? Im okay with it. I sort of get it
This was hilarious and simply wonderful!
Audrey
This is both cute and dark, sort of like Arsenic and Old Lace.

It contains four short stories about an elderly Swedish woman, Maud. (The last two are the same story from the neighbors POV and then Mauds.) Sometimes she has a problem, and that problem is another person, and she just has to kill them. I can totally sympathize.

Maud is a tough old lady; I like her. Its my observation and experience that the older you get, the less you tolerate crap. You reach a point where you say, I am done waiting
Kaethe Douglas
This is exactly the kind of murder I'm in the mood for. More stories about women upwards of "a certain age" who can get away with murder. That's much more fun than solving one.

I've been a fan of the Christmas murder story nearly as long as I can remember: there was a tiny book of four short stories put out by Reader's Digest in the early 70s. It had a white cover and four images in black one of which was a bishop and another was a sprig of holly. One story was about a man who had planned the
Melissa Chung
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I picked this book up on a whim while on vacation. Its a cute little collection of short stories about an 88 year old woman named Maude. Maude lives on her own in an apartment complex that used to be her family home (mansion). When Maude doesnt like someone well.... things happen. No spoilers.

If you like reading about the elderly and their shenanigans, read this wee read. If you like horror stories youll also love this read.
JZ
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: CLOCs (Cute Little Old Ladies) everywhere
My mother is the same age as Maud, and she read this first. She gave me a funny look when she returned it to me afterwards. Now I know why. She could get away with murder, too.

I checked it out because of the elderly lady in the title, and that it was listed under mystery fiction. Good and better. I don't read far into the reviews, as I don't like to expect one thing and get something entirely different. Funny how reviews slant your expectations, and so many cranky reviews result.

Well, it was
Janet
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a small hardcover bookliterally its 6 1/2x 4 1/2. You can carry it in your handbag and read it over the course of a day, a few stolen minutes here and there.

Humor is a funny thing.(see what I did there)you either get it or you dont.

This book is a series of 5 vignettes about the adventures of an 88 year old woman who commits murders. Its billed as a mystery but there is nothing mysterious about it. Id classify it as dark humor and I did get a chuckle out of the first storyone chuckleone.

Elizabeth (Alaska)
This is a fun - repeat FUN! - collection of short stories from mystery writer Helene Tursten. They aren't mystery stories, though. But what kind of "no good" could an elderly lady be up to in stories by a mystery writer!?! Five wonderful stories.

Maud's father died years ago, nearly bankrupt except for a large apartment building. The building was sold with the requirement that an apartment be made available for free to his widow and 2 daughters for as long as they lived. It never occurred to
Jann Barber
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have lived in a retirement community since 2015 and am currently 66 years old. The average age here is about 81. I mention this because after reading this book, I am not going to turn my back on anyone who lives here, and I plan to be as sweet as possible to everyone!

Why? Well, the protagonist of these short stories is Maud, who is 88 years old and is definitely up to no good in every one of the stories. I know a few reviewers felt that there was redundancy in the stories since Maud handled
Maud is an 88-year-old Swedish woman who lives rent free due to a lucky provision in her father's will, loves to travel, and often pretends to be much more feeble and dotty than she really is, when it suits her purposes. She doesn't seem to have any friends, or desire any sort of companionship. Maud also kills people. Always for practical reasons, though she doesn't seem to lose any sleep over it.

This book is a collection of five short stories about Maud. I found it fun and intriguing, but not
Ivonne Rovira
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ivonne by: lovers of the offbeat
It would be much too easy to reveal too much about Maud, the eponymous 88-year-old spinster up to no good in Gothenburg, Sweden. But my advice is to take a page from the author, Helene Tursten, a nurse and dentist turned crime writer: Readers will dearly love Maud, but they will be even more glad that she is neither a neighbor or family. A five-star read with both humor and lots of plot twists. Highly recommended.
Elizabeth
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
An unusual romp through chaos and murder, this book puts a whole new spin on how to achieve a peaceful and comfortable life. I devoured it in one sitting.
Its difficult to say more without spoilers so I will just say, any cozy fan MUST read this book!
Kate
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reread for book club, and I loved it just as much and still want more Maud!

I could have read 900 more pages of Maud knocking off annoying people.
Alysa Craigie
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*nervous laughter*

• Kallare än is (Anna Varga #3)
  • Dödslistan (Maria Wern #21)
  • När sista strofen klingat ut (Anki Karlsson, #5)
  • En giftig skandal
  • Hatet vi bär (Sara Vallén #4)
  • Älvdansen (Vargön, #2)
  • Grannar i död och lust (Ester Karlsson, #3)
  • I mördarens skugga
  • Rädda mig från farliga män (Nikki Griffin #1)
  • Fogland Point
  • Five Midnights
  • Som en öppen bok
  • Lika i döden (Morden vid världens ände, #1)
  • Kärlek börjar med mord
  • Dotter saknad (Bergslagens blå, #1)
  • Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts
  • Nämn inte de döda (Darwindeckare, #1)
  • Roger och Rebecka
Helene Tursten (born in Gothenburg in 1954) is a Swedish writer of crime fiction. The main character in her stories is Detective Inspector Irene Huss. Before becoming an author, Tursten worked as a nurse and then a dentist, but was forced to leave due to illness. During her illness she worked as a translator of medical articles.

Series: