Start by marking “Feminists Don't Wear Pink (and other lies): Amazing women on what the F-word means to them” as Want to Read:

What does the F word mean to you? The must-read book for 2018. Follow @feminists on Instagram for updates.

A collection of writing from extraordinary women, from Hollywood actresses to teenage activists, each telling the story of their personal relationship with feminism, this book explores what it means to be a woman from every point of view.

Often funny, sometimes surprisi
Published October 4th 2018 by Penguin (first published October 2nd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Feminists Don't Wear Pink (and other lies), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feminists Don't Wear Pink (and other lies)

Start your review of Feminists Don't Wear Pink (and other lies): Amazing women on what the F-word means to them
Chloe
"The lies we have been told about feminism have been fed to us to hold us back from a movement that is actually for everyone"

I absolutely loved most of the essays in this! I felt inspired, and loved how intersectional most of the essays were. There were some that were not inclusive of trans and non cisgender people which was disappointing.

Overall I really loved and learnt from a lot of the essays and would definitely recommend it!

tw: rape, transphobia
Lucy Langford
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4****
”At a time when we are too often reminded of what divides us, there is common ground to be found when we share our stories.” - Emma Watson.

This is an inspirational and powerful book in the time of #MeToo and other movements and protests surrounding gender equality. This book comprises a plethora of actors, activists, journalists and others of "celebrity" status on what Feminism means to them.

These essays are incredibly personal and each one unique. Each examines what feminism means to tha
Magali
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rating this book is pretty tough because I realized pretty fast that I had made a mistake : I was not the public targeted for that collection of essays on feminism. The fact that adult women, older than me, were saying it was a brilliant book that everyone should read made me buy it. But it actually feels more like a book for teenagers, for very young women wanting to know more about that new word they just learned : feminism and not a book for a 30+ woman that has been a feminist since she was ...more
~Bookishly
This book was truly motivational, and I feel like it has opened my eyes perhaps a little wider, to what feminism means to some rather amazing women. We all have our own definition of feminism, and exactly what it means to us. We all have different ways of acting on it, if one does at all. We all fight the patriarchy in our own individual ways.
This book contains thoughts, essays and poetry from some truly motivational and frankly, fucking amazing women. Many topics are covered here, such as sexis
Cendaquenta
This book needed half the essays, but at twice the length each. In its current form, it ends up as a collection of punchy but ultimately dissatisfying soundbites.
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
description
Originally posted on A Frolic Through Fiction

*Rated 2.5 stars

Picking up this book, I had high expectations. It became an event, with me buddy reading this with my friend Jess and setting time aside in my hectic uni reading schedule to make sure I read it.

And then…eh. I don’t know what happened. I have many, many thoughts.

So, this book is basically a collection of writings from 50(ish) different well-known women about different topics relating to feminism. One thing I do immediately have to prai
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
Who says feminists can't wear pink?!

What a wonderful way to kick off the new year, with a great book like this!

This book is a collection of personal essays written by a multitude of brave, clever, strong, passionate women. Some of them you might know before you start reading - like Kiera Knightly, Emma Watson and Kat Dennings - others you will want to know after reading their story! Each essay is a personal story of what feminism means to the individual woman.

These stories are wonderful because
abilovegood
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The proof is only around 60 pages so I finished it within an hour BUT in those 60 pages there is so much information on feminism and personal experiences that’s it’s easy to mistake it for a much larger book. I loved being able to see feminism through a variety of perspectives from a wide range of women - I’m currently trying to educate myself more on modern issues including feminism, racial bias etc and this was the perfect first step !
Jess
Another difficult one to rate. Feminists Don’t Wear Pink carries such a valuable sentiment; it’s a fairly decent crash course in feminism; it’s so energetic. It breaks my heart slightly to say that it misses the mark.

These are not ‘essays’. Let’s clarify that from the get-go. These entries are more akin to anecdotes. Of course, this is not necessarily an issue; the issue is that they vary so much in quality and relevance that they don’t hang together particularly well as a collection. There are
Maritza Dubravac
Seriously, YES to everything in this wonderful feminist collection.
As pointed out in the introduction, Feminists Don't Wear Pink isn't an academic collection of feminist essays, but a collection of essays, thoughts, poetry, etc. on all kinds of topics by all kinds of badass women. It's about intersectionality, it covers the history of the waves of feminism (also pointing out the less beautiful aspects of the history of feminism, such as racism), it talks about periods, and about answering the m
Anniek
After starting this book, I quickly began to feel like maybe it wasn't exactly meant for me. Which is kind of strange, because I'm a feminist and this is a book about feminism. And moreover, I consider myself an inclusive feminist and this book was definitely aiming for inclusive feminism as well. But it's very much Feminism 101, and even though I fully believe being an inclusive feminist is an ongoing process, this book was a little too basic for me at times.

That's not to say it's not a valuabl
Kathryn Speckels (Metaphors and Miscellanea)
Tl;dr - a mixture of cool essays and trite, fluffy pseudo-essays that detracted from the whole.

As many of you know, I've been on a "feminist essay" kick lately, and given that this book had such a wide range of contributors--activists, celebrities, writers, and more--I had high hopes. Those hopes were only partially fulfilled.

The purpose of this book, I think, was to provide a wider-lens picture of feminism, showing women at all different stages of their feminist journeys. There are women who h
Dawnie
this is a wonderful collection for a huge diversity of authors and voices and defiantly a great read for teens that need to understand why feminism is important and what it can mean and what it isn’t (the hate for any and all things male as do many many people believe feminism stands for).

for me personally this book felt a bit too young and a bit too „scratching the surface“.
i wanted more and deeper talk from the women this book featured. i wanted to hear their stories, understand their struggle
Lucie
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I think that this book is a great introduction to feminism and if you're looking to read more on that topic, it's a good place to start! It is a very intersectional read and included experiences from so many different women and I loved that about it.

I have to say that it did feel a bit repetitive at times, because the writings were organized in different collections, such as 'epiphany', 'anger', 'poetry break' and such (also I'm not a *huge* fan of poetry, but that's another matter altogether).
Nat
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
1.5 stars (half star cuz I liked one of the pieces)

The standout is undoubtedly "Weaker Sex" by Keira Knightley. 4 stars if that was the only piece in the book.

The book just lacked cohesion. There was an attempt for some structure by the various phases in one's feminist journey: epiphany, anger, joy, action, education and a completely random and unnecessary "poetry break".

Each piece varied so much in length and depth. Was the brief simply to write anything at all related to feminism?

As much as
Maria
I feel like we have all at some point walked away from an important conversation because we felt overwhelmed by our lack of knowledge. “Feminists Don’t Wear Pink” is a safe haven. Honest, hilarious and open, a space for exploration.
Kassie
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tell Him was my favorite essay ❤️
Dana ⚢
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction

One that really stood out was Keira Knightley’s ‘The Weaker Sex’, where she opens up about the brutality of motherhood and how her relationship with her work changed once she had a child. The
Rose  Heartfilia
There are many thoughts to be formed and things to be said when you want to open your mouth and just speak. However, sometimes those words don't come and in waves of anger or sadness only tears show up, which is something that can happen too when you laugh, laugh so hard you cry. Perhaps I did not laugh that hard this time around but it is not something to be forgotten. I am going to make the most honest and personal review I have ever done because I feel that is necessary and that it makes me p ...more
Tara Costello
Although 'Feminists Don't Wear Pink' is more diverse than most of its kind, the book still falls a little short for me. It's still overwhelmingly heteronormative and focuses largely on cisgender women, but I guess it's more about the curator's connections and who she wanted to contribute. The language irked me at times too and it did genuinely feel like inclusivity was an afterthought stuck on at the end. For example, there is a line in an essay about periods which states in brackets "(though no ...more
elin
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this felt a bit too basic for me, but i probably wasn't the intended audience either. it would probably work better for someone who is only just learning about feminism, even tho there was a certain amount of oversimplification. but yeah, most essays just fell flat to me. some of them were total misses, where the author seemed to have the complete wrong idea of what feminism is, some of them didn't even seem to be about feminist at all, and some of them were just plain weird. generally i think t ...more
Ruby Valdes
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty sure most of you all know my stance on non-fiction books. I'm the type of person who likes to fill my head up with 'happy ever afters.' After realizing that too many romance fiction books is starting to higher my expectations when it comes to dating, I was willing to read any non-romantic book I could get my hands on. I came across this one while in my English class and decided to give it a go. The book was actually really good and informative. I got to understand what feminism means ...more
Zarina
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Soha
While I am not new to feminism, it is true that no 2 people experience feminism in the same way, so regardless of how many (and varied) experiences I have seen around me and read about, there is always more to learn.

This collection of essays is divided into five stages (Epiphany, Anger, Joy, Poetry Break, Action) and a section titled Education. Almost every essay contributes something unique to this collection and I loved almost all of them. Some very short essays in between felt like they were
Abbie | ab_reads
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

(#gifted @penguinukbooks) If you’re looking for a book to gift a teenager or someone just starting out with feminism then this is the one! I really enjoyed reading essays, some serious, some more lighthearted, from women of all different backgrounds on when they discovered feminism and what their personal feminist journey looks like.
Elliot A
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I was reading The Art of Fact for my course when this book became available for pick up at my local library. If you haven’t read my review on the former, it might explain a lot as to way I chose to ignore my homework and read this one in less than 24 hours instead.

I was angry at the way racial minorities and women were represented in The Art of Fact and Feminists Don’t Wear Pink turned out to be a very welcomed source of strength.

I read somewhere a while ago that Kiera Knightley and Gemma Arte
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this, everyone. It doesn't matter what sex you identify with, if you're a human bloody read it! I'm going to be recommending this to everyone I come into contact with from now on.

There was so much I recognised from my own experiences in this book but also there was so much to teach me.

I'll add more when I've gathered my thoughts.
Ithil
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're starting to get yourself educated into feminism I think this would be a great starter for you. Also, I think I would absolutely recommend it for 12 year old in advance. It has some sexy bit on it, but let's be honest, 12 year olds nowadays are not going to learn anything that the did not know before. And I think it will provide them with quite a lot of knowledge that will come in more than handy for their teens. Unfortunately.

I do have to say introduction or young public, as someone w
Soesja Schelling
I really liked the way this book was set up and I think it’s an admirable project. The introduction was great and so were the short history on feminist theory, the suggestions for further reading and the conclusion and final words. But the meat of the book, the different ‘essays’ that it is made up of, fell a little short for me.

While there were some chapters I really enjoyed (I was really impressed with Keira Knightley’s and will happily devour anything Dolly Alderton writes), many were a litt
Sam (she_who_reads_)
If you’re looking for a good introduction to feminist literature, then this would be a fantastic place to start. It’s absolutely packed with contributions ranging from essays, to poetry, to recommended reading lists. This is the sort of book I want to have on the shelf for my daughter to discover, and devour, as she grows up. Some of the entries had me so emotional (and some I think kind of missed the mark) but I was just so inspired and so eager to check out some of the contributors other works ...more
Which was your favorite essay? 2 4 Jul 20, 2020 12:32PM