Start by marking “You Daughters of Freedom: The Australians Who Won the Vote and Inspired the World” as Want to Read:

FOR the ten years from 1902, when Australia’s suffrage campaigners won the vote for white women, the world looked to this trailblazing young democracy for inspiration.

Clare Wright’s epic new history tells the story of that victory—and of Australia’s role in the subsequent international struggle—through the eyes of five remarkable players: the redoubtable Vida Goldstein, t
Published October 2018 by Text Publishing

To ask other readers questions about You Daughters of Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Daughters of Freedom

Bri Lee
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Don't let the size and heavy cover of this book scare you off! Wright is rightfully famous for telling historical stories in the primary-source voices of those actually present, and this book is a fast and fascinating look at white women getting the vote in Australia. I learned so much and appreciated Wright tackling both the highs (triumph!) and lows (racism!) of the suffrage movement in Australia which made this country famous for several years for having the most advanced version of democracy ...more
Michael Livingston
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A painstakingly thorough history of the Australian women who pushed for the vote for (white) women in Australia and then took up the battle in the UK. It's thorough and rich in detail, but superbly readable - Wright knows how to tell a story. She has a rich cast of characters to help her - Vida Goldstein in particular should be a household name in Australia, but Dora Montfiore and Muriel Matters are unforgettable as well.

I was surprised how much of the book focussed on the UK struggles - Edith
Text Publishing
‘Clare Wright’s You Daughters of Freedom is the uplifting story of a time Australia led the world in including women in our democratic project. It is a reminder of our proud legacy and a clarion call for who we can be.’
Penny Wong

‘The essential story of our greatest reformers, and one of our proudest achievements as a nation.’
George Megalogenis

‘One of the country’s most accomplished story-tellers relates Australian women’s fight for the vote in all of its passion, intensity and drama.’
Frank Bo
Alexandra
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This splendid book was sent to me by the publisher, Text, at no cost. It's out at the start of October.

Firstly, this is a hefty tome: it's 550 pages. But the text itself is only (?) 480 pages, and it must be stressed that this is an immensely readable book with generally short chapters that make the story very readable. So don't let the size put you off if this is a part of history that appeals to you.

If you know nothing about women achieving the vote in Australia or elsewhere, this is an excel
Lisa
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The amazing thing about reading Clare Wright’s You Daughters of Freedom is the switch from reading the wholly unfamiliar story of Australia’s history of suffrage to the familiar story of English suffragettes in Part III. How has this happened? How come we all know the story of the English suffragettes, but we don’t know about the Australian women (and men) who led the world into modern democracy with votes for women??
Well IMO there are two answers to that and only one of them is that until compa
Alan  Marr
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My appetite for this subject was whetted when I saw a preview of the musical "Sylvia" in London last year. It was the story of Sylvia Pankhurst and the struggle for women's right to vote. My daughter Julie gave me this book and I'm very glad she did. I now have a new cohort of heroes to add to me gallery. These women were courageous, creative and determined. ...and many of them were Australians. A great read.
Alyce Caswell
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book covers a very specialised aspect of Australian history - how our women achieved the vote and the international ripples that occurred from this. Wright does a fantastic job of chasing those ripples and then connecting them in a way that makes sense. Her often wry tone is what made this giant tome so easy to read.

I really do wish I'd known about these fantastic women earlier. And certainly no history class I ever had deigned to mention that Federation's very success hinged on suffrage.
Julie Cohen
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019, top-rated
This book was a solid 4-4.5 stars for most of it, but I think the final chapters might have just about pushed it up to 5. While there are some passages that feel a little too full of detail, on the whole it is full of inspiring and important stories of the journey towards female suffrage. Wright does not at all shy away from some of the more shameful elements of the debate, but i was left with such a feeling of pride and gratitude that my forebears fought so hard and with such ingenuity for a ri ...more
Lyn
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Who,knew that Australia had so many influential women political activists? Clare Wright brings these ladies alive and harks back to a time when political idealism and achievements were high. This was inspiring to read....and it made me wonder what some of these women would think of our present day politics and the role of women in Australia. Well worth the read, especially for the reasons trotted out for stopping women’s achievements.
Cam
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading. The stories of these women who fought and at times died for their rights are powerful and until now very poorly documented. You should know who these women were. Clare Wright’s prose is easy to read and almost conversational, which is a good thing; she is informative and authoritative without being aloof or stuffy. Very much enjoyed every page, and can’t recommend it enough.
Jeannie
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Heavy reading but such an important contribution to our understanding of Australian history - primarily because of the way it pulls the early feminists out of the shadows and shows their contribution. Definitely worth the effort - and the author makes it easier because of the way she writes i.e. making the historical details into an interesting narrative.
Jae
Liz Barr
Mar 26, 2019
Kelsey
Jan 14, 2019
Clare Wright is an historian who has worked as a political speechwriter, university lecturer, historical consultant and radio and television broadcaster. Her first book, 'Beyond the Ladies Lounge: Australia’s Female Publicans', garnered both critical and popular acclaim and her second, 'The Forgotten Rebels of Eureka', won the 2014 Stella Prize.

She researched, wrote and presented the ABC TV docum