Start by marking “I'm a Big Sister” as Want to Read:
I'm a Big Sister

I'm a Big Sister

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  671 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
This picture book presents a child's-eye view of family life, describing the joy of welcoming a new sibling into the family.
Published October 5th 2004 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published April 25th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about I'm a Big Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm a Big Sister

Emily
Sep 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Yes, this was the first book that I read in September of 2013. How exciting, right? RIGHT. I read it to my kitten, Jonathanne, before adopting a second kitten, so that Jonathanne would know I still loved her even though there was going to be a new baby in our house.

Yes. I'm that kind of crazy. It's okay.

You can run away now.
Cristina
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-kiddos
I absolutely love this book! I bought it for my 2yr old daughter when I was expecting my second child. She loved looking at the photos and knew that the baby in my belly was the one in the book and she was the little girl. She once even wanted to wear a tiara so I dressed her just alike!

Leonie
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
We've been rocking this book for the duration of my pregnancy and my small person, now almost two and about to become a big sister in a couple of months seems completely on board with the whole big sister deal. Of course, it's still only an abstract concept for her...

My criticisms of the book would be that only bottle feeding is represented and the American 'diaper' is used instead of nappy (easy enough to edit as you read).
Leigh Nida
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rhaeanna
Rhaeanba says, "This book was good. I could read almost all of this book myself. I am a big sister. I am 7."
Sadia Mansoor
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
The book is adorable! I'm also a big sister ^_^
Keshia
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good. same words as "I'm a big brother." Different pictures, but still similar.
Morgan Randall
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought that this book was adorable. I remember reading this as a young child when my parents announced that they were having another baby, and that I would end up being a big sister. I think that this book helps big sisters to understand the importance of being a big sister, and that they aren't a baby anymore.
Annabel Pizzata
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read my 3.5yo daughter lots of books to prepare her for her baby sister’s arrival, this one was the best and covered all the points I wanted to get across. We have continued to read after the baby was born to reinforce the messages. I recommend to all big-sisters and big-sisters-to-be!
Lauren Ivey
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love Joanna Cole and this book was a big hit with my tutee! Students love feeling any sense of ownership and grown up responsibilities. This books gives credit and speaks to how big of a “job” it is being a big sister. She helps feed and watch her brother, which makes her parents happy. Her parents also make sure that she knows she is special and valued as a child as well. They give her tasks to help out so that she does not feel left out or less important than her little brother.
As far as cra
jacky
Read this at Target. It looks like a pretty good book for celebrating becoming a big sister. The gender of the sibling is neutral, so it makes it adaptable for all new siblings, excepting twins. This book really focuses on the good things about being a sister of a newborn. It mentions that babies cry a lot, but focuses on the child's ability to help figure out why. A large portion is also focused on how the first child is still special, including the new role of sister. One draw back, the sister ...more
Mary Ann
“Someone is new at our home. Do you know who it is? / It’s our baby. I’m a big sister now!” I’m a Big Sister and I’m a Big Brother are simple stories perfect for young toddlers welcoming a new baby into their home. These reassuring picture books help toddlers understand what a new baby can do, while keeping the focus on how special their new role is as a big sister or big brother. The big sister or brother can help the baby with a bottle, can sing to the baby, and can make the baby feel loved. B ...more
Chanae
My little girl really loved this book. This one was perfect for her level of understanding. It touches on how a new baby is in the house, and how a big sister can help the baby, and sing to the baby and hold the baby. It also talks about how a big sister can do many wonderful things that a baby can't do.
I liked this book better than any other new-baby book I've read so far - as it was just what I was looking for: a book to let my daughter know that while a new baby might mean some changes, she
Megan
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is perfect for young Big Sisters to-be. It helped my daughter understand that taking care of babies is a lot of work and that she is big enough to help. She loved the idea that the baby is special but so is she and that she gets to eat pizza but baby doesn't. It's a very short and practical read for big sisters.
Janet
Mar 31, 2016 added it
Shelves: ece-bookshelf
Changing diapers, how to hold a baby, feeding a baby- these are all topics of this story on being a big sister.

Age: 1+

Practice: Talking (This book promotes discussion about what babies need and prepares children for the arrival of a new baby. A helpful book for any child who is about to become an older sibling.)
Nancy Vu
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ece3601
Very cute book to introduce a new member of the family. It, also, shows that even though there is an addition to the family everyone has a special place in other's lives. This book is good for ages 4-6.
Liesel
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
This book was helpful twice. I can't quite give it five stars because it only shows the baby getting a bottle. Since all my kids were breastfed, that part just didn't apply. Maybe the La Leche League can write a version.
Laura McLoughlin
May 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Very nice way to introduce an older sibling to the idea of a new baby. Liked that it focuses on how much the older child will be able to help instead of assuming that she will be jealous of the baby. May end up actually purchasing this one for Kathryn.
Allison
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The best big sister book we found when trying to prepare our 2 year old for the arrival of her baby brother. I love the part at the end that emphasizes how unique and loved she still is. Our daughter still loves reading it a few months into her big sisterhood.
Ron
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
I've got some friends who have a 4 year old who is getting ready to be a big sister. I saw this book on the kindle daily deal and thought it might make a good read for big sister. It's a cute short book that talks about big sisters and babies.
Rachel
Apr 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Cute book, definitely better for younger toddlers. The pictures are very cute and the concepts are simple. I really liked this one and so did our little girl. It definitely added to her excitement about the new baby on the way and she has been requesting this book a lot!
Nicki
It really helped my daughter prepare to be a big sister. We started reading it before nap every day when I was about 3 months pregnant (starting to show). By the time the baby came she was so excited to meet her.
Kelly
Oct 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
This has become a regular in the night-time rotation.

I like that the book helps to explain that newborns have different needs and limitations and that the older siblings can bond and help care for the new household addition.
Dichotomy Girl
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Avery picked this out from the Library. She liked it mainly because it had people in it (most of her books at home have animals, bright colors, shapes and numbers). I liked it because of the wishful thinking factor :)
Tricia
Feb 06, 2010 rated it liked it
While this title feels a bit generic (you can almost fill in "brother" anywhere you see the word "sister"), it offers the basics for a toddler/early preschooler to understand their new role as a big sister.
missy jean
Mar 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I feel like reading and talking about this book has helped my daughter adjust to her new brother.
Jeani
May 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is a sweet book, but it doesn't address many of the changes that will take place. I thought it fell a little short.
Thomas DeWolf
Dec 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of our granddaughter's (age 3) current favorites since she IS a big sister to a 1-year old. Terrific book to read with her.
Darlene
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
My granddaughter loves this; little sister is still in the hospital. Cute book.
Ashleigh Wolfe
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book for new older siblings!
Dave Lester
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
A book that is sweet and syrpy about being a big sister and welcoming a new baby into the household. The work feels forgettable, the illustrations are not anywhere close to top notch and it doesn't really delve into some of the complexities that may arise from being a big sister to a little baby. My daughter enjoys this book and this book (and others) have helped her understand her role as an older sibling. I just think other books communicate that message better.
Russell
Jul 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Solid explanation of the changing family dynamic in one hypothetical household, and how the eldest child fits into the new pecking order. Appeals to our fundamental desires to be loved and belong.
Angie
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for big sisters, explaining what babies can and can't do and how to interact, as well as reassuring them that they're loved. And of course a tip for parents at the end!
Randall
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, ruthie
Using this book to prepare our little one for being a big sister. Very gentle book with good information and a nice reminder in the back for adults about the needs of big sisters.
Mort
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book. Illustrations are very abstract. Speaks on being a big sibling.
Jill
Jun 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very direct way of explaining the differences between what a big sister can do and what babies can do. Also reinforces the love among family members despite the changes in the household.
Erin
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Best book I found for preparing big sister for a new little one. I used their names in the story and it really helped my two year old understand baby brother was coming.
Carolyn
Excellent book for introducing aspects of life with a new baby sister/brother to a child. Best for ages 2-6.
Suzanne
Jun 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Upbeat, cute book about adjusting to life with a new baby as a big sister. Another one we read a lot.
Elizabeth
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really cute story I got from my parents when my baby brother was born.
Lauren
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it
I think I read this book when I was 3 or 4 when my little brother came along XD
Maren Prestegaard
Oct 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Short and perhaps sweet. But not the best.
Yekaterina
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Great story. A lot of students can relate to it.
Kimberly
Very sweet. Bright, fun pictures.
Lisa
Jun 19, 2007
Leah
added it
Aug 21, 2007
  • Bright Baby Colors
  • Welcome with Love
  • Where Is Baby's Pumpkin?
  • Froggy's Baby Sister
  • Dimity Dumpty: The Story of Humpty's Little Sister
  • A Zeal of Zebras: An Alphabet of Collective Nouns
  • Busing Brewster
  • Look! A Book!
Joanna Cole who also writes under the pseudonym B. J. Barnet is an author of children’s books who teaches science.

She is most famous as the author of The Magic School Bus series of children's books. Joanna Cole has written over 250 books ranging from her first book Cockroach to her famous series Magic School Bus.

Cole was born in Newark, New Jersey, and grew up in nearby East Orange. She loved scie
More about Joanna Cole