Start by marking “In Dark Company (Kate Burkholder #9.5)” as Want to Read:
In Dark Company (Kate Burkholder #9.5)

In Dark Company

(Kate Burkholder #9.5)

From the New York Times bestselling author of DOWN A DARK ROAD comes Linda Castillo's IN DARK COMPANY: a short story about an injured young woman with amnesia who seeks Chief of Police Kate Burkholder’s help to remember her identity—and her attacker.

It’s the middle of the night in Painters Mill, and Chief of Police Kate Burkholder is called to a scene where a mysterious y
Published May 29th 2018 by Minotaur Books

Anne OK
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
Very short novella (79 pages) -- just enough to whet your appetite for more of Kate Burkholder and her team, but especially John Tomasetti whose been cheated out of page time for awhile now.

The blurb gives enough of a teaser to pay the $1.99 and see the whole show. I won't spoil any of the suspense. I did enjoy the mystery that Kate is faced with unraveling when a young girl shows up bruised, scraped, scared for her life -- and without any memory of what has happened to her. It's an interesting
DeAnn
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fun and (way too) easy to read this one on my new Kindle. I love Linda Castillo and I knew there were these short stories, but without a Kindle I didn't quite know how to read them. I will probably track the rest of them down and read them soon.

This short story has all my favorite elements: Kate Burkholder, Amish setting, a mystery/crime to solve. This one features a woman who has been traumatized and can't remember who she is right away. This is classic Linda Castillo material and was a
Kevintipple
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In Dark Company: A Kate Burkholder Story is not a novel, but a short story. It is also mighty good. Released last May to boost sales for the planned release of A Gathering Of Secrets last July, it serves as a bridge between books; it is also a superb introduction for readers unfamiliar with this great series.

Kate Burkholder is Chief of Police for Painters Mill, Ohio. A four in the morning wakeup call is never a good thing and this one isn’t. A woman has arrived at a residence in the surrounding
Andrea Corley
For a novella, this sure was a great mystery! I absolutely love the Kate Burkholder series and think this was one of the best short stories that I've read! Linda Castillo has not only mastered writing an excellent series, but she has also mastered the art of short stories as well!

This was a superb addition to the Kate Burkholder series! I just wish I didn't have to wait so long between new releases! I'll be patiently waiting for Book #11!!
Lori
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A woman dressed in clothing similar to Amish, yet somewhat different, shows up at a home in the wee hours of the morning. She knows only she was running from someone and was terrified. Kate Burkholder investigates and tries to protect the woman from the unknown threat. A trip to toe heritage center proves helpful in establishing her identity and her story. This short story maintained my interest. I've wanted to try this series, but the first installment is never available. It's definitely a seri ...more
Sheila Melo
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
FINAL DECISION: A little mystery that is centered in the characters. I always enjoy seeing Kate doing her work. Wish there was a little more Tomasetti.

THE STORY: Chief of Police Kate Burkholder is awoken with a call about a woman who has run out of the night fleeing a mysterious man. The woman claims to have amnesia but knows that someone is trying to kill her. Kate has to find out who the woman is and discover if she is the victim or a criminal herself.

OPINION: I enjoyed this story but I missed
Maggie61
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really love Linda Castillo’s short stories featuring Kate Burkholder including this one. So many short stories make you feel like you are in the middle of a book with no start or ending. Linda actually tells a story, start to finish and keeps me engaged.
Darcy
This one was quick, but a lot happened in it. At first I thought for sure Jane was full of crap, but as things went on you realized she was telling the truth. It quickly became apparent who the real bad guy was. I was glad that he was caught and all of the good guys came through all right.
Debbie
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A short story but still a great red with characters and a story I got interested in right away.
Brenda
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short but satisfying read

I am a huge fan of the Kate Burkholder series and this short story didn't disappoint. A quick read with a few twists. Another great book provided by my local library.
Anne
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not short story's biggest fan. This one was great and the first of this author's work I have read. I showed me in no uncertain terms I want to read more.
Natasha
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A well done short story. Long enough to take my mind off a few very stress filled days.
Sandy Larivee
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick read, great story. Love all the Kate Burkholder books.
Sharon
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Every time I review a short story, it generally starts with how I don't like them. They are too short, cut off and never tell a whole story but this doesn't seem to be the case with Linda Castillo. Yes, they are still short but she tells a whole story and I appreciate that. I know you probably wonder why I bother with short stories if I don't like them but it appears that when it's a favorite author of mine or prequel to the next book in the series, I can't help myself. I've read every Kate Burk ...more
Nancy
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
In Dark Company, a novella, draws you in from the start. A seamless hour or two taking you back to Painters Mill and the Amish community Police Chief Kate Burkholder has sworn to protect.

A girl stumbles out of the dark with no memory of her name or where she came from. Her language is familiar to Kate but not quite the Pennsylvania Dutch of her own childhood. Kate can make out some of the words to the story the girl is telling, enough to believe she is telling the truth -- someone is chasing her
Marti
In Dark Company by Linda Castillo is a novella in the Kate Burkholder series. A young woman shows up in the middle of the night at an Amish home. She remembers nothing except someone was chasing her and she is afraid. Kate Burkholder is called in as the sheriff to deal with the situation.

Kate was able with help from others recognized that the young woman was Amish, but not a local sect. Kate provided her with a safe place while they tried to help the young victim regain her memory. As always th
Jenny Propst
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gripping story

Just as with her full length books Linda Castillo had me on the edge of my seat, my heart racing and short of breath with this Kate Burkholder short story. Kate finds herself early in the morning at an Amish farm with a young woman who is muddy, injured and not knowing who she is that was chased through a cornfield thus begins a mystery for her to solve. When Kate finds out where the young woman had come from they travel back in hope's of finding out who she is and who had hurt h
patricia
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was planning to go to bed early, but I started In Dark Company late in the evening and could not stop reading. It all begins when a young woman pounds on the door of and Amish farm house. Problem is she can't remember her name or much else, only she was running from someone trying to kill her Chief Burkholder helps her find out who she is and what happened and why. Linda Castillo had me wanting to just finish this story.
Jennie
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This novella only takes less than an hour to read. There is a woman who appears at an Amish farmhouse after being chased by a man. She can not remember her name or where she lives. Kate is on the scene and unravels the mystery in a short period of time. I would have liked it more if it had been longer.
Murrel Lowry
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Dark Company

Once again a quick read from author Linda Castillo. Very good story from the Amish community. Kate Burkholder has her hands full with a young woman whose memory has some blank spots and she struggles putting the pieces together. Once again an enjoyable read for me and will look forward to the next one to come along.
Sue Betow
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great quick read!

Anyone who likes the other Linda Castillo books will love this one! It has the usual great quality writing, with all the twists, turns, suspense, and mystery. It is just in a shorter version! Love the Kate Burkholder character, and all the other characters Linda Castillo artfully and vividly creates. Would highly recommend this short story!
Karen Patterson
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I love all of Linda Castillo Kate Burkholder books and while this short story is still entertaining, they just don't have the intricacies of her full books. However, after finishing this I found out she has one coming out this month so I will consider this a nice bridge to something longer and with more complexity.
Gerda Bruhn
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, noveller
Midt om natten bliver Kate Burkholder kaldt ud til en Amish gård, hvor en forslået og skrækslagen kvinde har søgt tilflugt. Hun kan hverken huske sit navn eller hvor hun kommer fra. Det eneste hun ved, er at hun blev forfulgt af en, der ville dræbe hende.
Rigtig spændende novelle.
Arlene Downey
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, owned
Short story.

A girl is found who has lost her memory. Her clothing identifies her as belonging to a community several hours away.

Kate takes her home and runs into one strange situation after another.

Good story!
Mindy
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short story about Kate Burkholder and the Amish community. It was a good tale, though slightly predictable (I figured it out about 50-55% of the way in).
Diane
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely short story to tide me over until the next Kate Burkholder novel is published. I learned a little bit about the Hutterites, another Anabaptist group who live in communities.
Connie
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent short story

A decent Kate Bulkholder short story although a bit predictable. I enjoyed it for a quick read. I’m looking forward to the next one.
Rachel
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed it. Looking forward to her new book next month
Felicia
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this series! Kate Burkholder is awsome!
Kerri
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, short-stories
Thank you Linda Castillo for putting Lima, Ohio in this book.
Linda Castillo is the New York Times bestselling author of the Kate Burkholder series, including Sworn to Silence and Gone Missing, crime thrillers set in Amish country. Sworn to Silence was recently adapted into a Lifetime original movie titled An Amish Murder starring Neve Campbell as Kate Burkholder.

Castillo is the recipient of numerous industry awards, including the Daphne du Maurier Award of

Kate Burkholder (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder, #1)
  • Pray for Silence (Kate Burkholder, #2)
  • Breaking Silence (Kate Burkholder, #3)
  • Gone Missing (Kate Burkholder, #4)
  • Her Last Breath (Kate Burkholder, #5)
  • The Dead Will Tell (Kate Burkholder, #6)
  • After the Storm (Kate Burkholder, #7)
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
  • Down a Dark Road (Kate Burkholder, #9)
  • A Gathering of Secrets (Kate Burkholder, #10)