Start by marking “Wild Savage Stars (Sweet Black Waves, #2)” as Want to Read:
Wild Savage Stars (Sweet Black Waves, #2)

Wild Savage Stars

(Sweet Black Waves #2)

Inspired by the legend of Tristan and Iseult, Wild Savage Stars is the spellbinding sequel to Sweet Black Waves.

Branwen has a secret powerful enough to destroy two kingdoms.

Published August 27th 2019 by Imprint

To ask other readers questions about Wild Savage Stars, please sign up.
K you can enter giveaways from the author, publisher or book bloggers who do giveaways. you can also request digital arc from the publisher on netgalley…moreyou can enter giveaways from the author, publisher or book bloggers who do giveaways. you can also request digital arc from the publisher on netgalley or edelweiss or you can search the arcsfortrade tag on twitter (:(less)

Start your review of Wild Savage Stars (Sweet Black Waves, #2)
Jessica
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book for free from BookSparks for promotional purposes.

I give this book 4.5 stars which rounds up to 5.

I absolutely loved the first book in the trilogy but um okay wow this book was even more insane. It was a roller coaster of emotions. This book picks up right where the last book left off and from then on just continues all the craziness.

At first I was a little intimidated to read this because I saw the massive character list in the beginning and was a bit overwhelm
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
I received an ARC through my job at a library.

Quick review: if authors could stop making me feel emotions of intense love that I reserve for my dogs and my dogs only, that's be great. (Context, I like dogs more than humans.) If you liked Sweet Black Waves, I'd honestly be floored if you didn't like this. Consistent characters & writing, development of the new land and it's politics, and the lingering feeling from Sweet Black Waves that "something's not quite right."

I feel so empty! Why did I rea
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Here I am again torn on what to rate this book. In fact, this one had soooo much more drama and angst than the first one.

To be honest, about half way through the book, I was so tempted to put it down and try another time because between being so depressed and gut wrenching pissed...I believe it was bad for my stress levels to continue.

I asked the same question over and over again... "Why the hell does Brenwan continue to put Essy first when it only ends up hurting herself?" I was pissed and was
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult / Fantasy / Historical
*Rating* 4.0

*Thoughts*

Wild Savage Stars is the second installment in author Kristina Perez's Sweet Black Waves trilogy. Sweet Black Waves is a retelling of the star-crossed tale of Tristan and Iseult, from the perspective of Branwen. The story is a tragedy about the adulterous love between the Cornish knight Tristan and the Irish princess Iseult who either on purpose or by mistake, drank a love potion. Wild Savage Stars begins shortly a
Tracy (Cornerfolds)
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read more of my reviews at Cornerfolds.com!

Last year I read Sweet Black Waves and was immediately pulled into the amazing world Kristina Pérez created. The retelling of Tristan and Iseult was unique and heartbreaking and I could not wait to dive back in, so of course I was thrilled when I received an early copy of Wild Savage Stars!

This story picks up immediately after Sweet Black Waves leaves off, with Branwen, Tristan, and Essy arriving in an enemy kingdom. Everything and everyone is a mess af
Milena
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Last year I read Sweet Black Waves, which is a retelling of Tristan and Eseult myth, and fell in love with it. I was eagerly awaiting the second book, Wild Savage Stars. And, wow, it was so worth the wait, it did not disappoint. Wild Savage Stars is even better than Sweet Black Waves in my opinion.

This book is achingly romantic, brutal, lyrical, magical, and heart-wrenching. It was an emotional roller-coaster that I didn’t want to get off of. I couldn't stop thinking about it days after I fini
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
I’ve had so many thoughts whilst reading this book, but the most prominent is this: this series would have really thrived as an intricate, politically complex adult fantasy, and it becomes really obvious in this second book.

(Or maybe I just want these books to be longer.)

There’s nothing wrong with this book being YA at all, but if given a longer word count like an adult fantasy, this story could really thrive and develop. Looking into some of the narrative events and themes presented in this bo
Teresa
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I AM DEAD.
THIS BOOK KILLED ME.
WHY CAN'T I HAVE THE MANUSCRIPT TO THE 3RD BOOK NOW?!?
KRISTINA PEREZ TAKE PITY ON THIS READER.....TELL ME HOW IT ENDS!!! :)

I loved, loved, loved "Sweet Black Waves" but if I am being honest I have to say that this book is even better than the first. (And now I am silently crying because I need to know what happens to my beloved Branwen!!)
This novel picks right up where the previous one ends; Branwen, Tristen and Essy have landed and Essy is less than thrilled to me
Georgina
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
A deepening of the story that Perez so ably began in Sweet Black Waves. The character of Branwen continues to be compelling despite (or because of?) her flaws. The introduction of a sympathetic and admirable King Marc, the interesting mercurial Ruan, and the formidable queen mother makes this book a pleasure to read. The story kept me on the edge of my seat and I blew through it in just a few days! So curious about what will happen in the third book.
Christine Spoors
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved Sweet Black Waves, so I was over the moon when I won an ARC of this book from the author’s instagram. I loved it just as much as the first and think this series will always be a favourite. I just love the setting and Celtic folklore so much!

I can’t say much without spoiling the first book, but Branwen’s life is very stressful. The wait to find out how her story ends will be agonising! I really enjoyed meeting new characters in this book, especially Ruan!

The discussions surrou
Alice
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-shit, read-2019
Maile
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
oKAY IM FINE eVERYthinG IS FiNE

but in all seriousness, I am not fine :)

Branwen is so amazing I just can't. She's not one to bend, like, at all. She does what she believes is right, even though it may be dangerous, even if it may hurt someone, she does it wholeheartedly. She seems like an anti-hero almost at certain times, and I LOVE it. I read this in one sitting, one day before it officially comes out (Barnes and Noble had it in sale early thank God!) so I'm dying because I have to wait an ent
Erin Arkin
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yeah...I'm going to need book 3 real soon.

Review to come.
Breanna
Jul 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
I just read through all of the reviews for this and now I'm super nervous...this one is gonna hurt real bad, I can tell 🙃
Rachel
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read Kristina Pérez’s debut Sweet Black Waves last year and fell in love with her story. It’s one about love – love for your motherland and its people, love for your family, of the sister of your heart, and of love found unexpectedly. Pérez put her own spin on a legend that has been repeatedly told and romanticized over the centuries, breathing fresh life into it by focusing on a different character. It was an exciting start for a new series, and with the way it ended, I knew that I just have ...more
Kait
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
**Originally posted on The Fandom**

There’s something especially haunting and stunning about reading Kristina Perez’s Sweet Black Waves series. Perhaps it’s because the original legend in which it finds its bearings– Tristan and Iseult— is a tragedy, and you anticipate that dark, destructive energy right down to your bones. Perhaps it’s because we see Branwen become the main character, giving her light and agency that gets you invested in her side of the story, even as life crumbles around he
Lindsay
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Usually the second book in a trilogy is terrible compared to the first. I was surprised because this wasn't the case. Wild Savage Stars was immensely better than Sweet Black Waves.

It picked up right where Sweet Black Waves left off, with Branwen, Tristan, and Essy arriving in enemy territory where Essy will marry a king she doesn't know, love, or want to marry. Branwen transforms into Essy and Tristan's guardians since she dedicates all her time to keeping them away from each other before King
Kibby
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-reads, read-2019
Full review available at Something of the Book.

Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

Wild Savage Stars is a lush and dramatic novel, full of court intrigue, betrayal, and magic. As the sequel to Sweet Black Waves, Wild Savage Stars amps up the angst in this Tristian and Iseult retelling. Fans of romantic fantasy stories with court politics will love this series!
Justine
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Let me just...
The book was utterly amazing. I loved every single word of it.

But Essy...let's talk about Essy. Branny made mistakes, I get it. But Essy is selfish and self-serving at every turn. She expects Branwen to clean up her every mess. Whenever something happens, she throws her hands in the air and wait for Branwen to come swooping in. I dislike Eseult with a burning passion. I really, really dislike her.
Vicky
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'd been intrigued by Wild Savage Stars since I met Kristina Pérez at the recent Comic-Con event put on by Tor. Her premise? The myth of Tristan and Isolde, retold in a YA format through the eyes of Isolde's handmaiden, Branwen. So when I requested this book on Netgalley- and it was accepted- I sat down to read it almost immediately.

I did this without realising it was the second in a series, but as it turns out, it didn't matter. This book was where all the juicy action lay, where all the charac
Victoria
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The second book in the series of the epic retelling of Tristan and Eseult myth begins right where the first ended. A long and dangerous journey from Iveriu to Kernyv is coming to an end. Branwen accompanies Eseult to her new home where the princess is going to marry King Marc. Branwen is still trying to recover after the terrible betrayal by her two dearest people. In Kernyv she faces new challenges as she tries to uphold the peace between the two kingdoms. Especially when the peace is threatene ...more
Jasmine
May 11, 2020 rated it liked it
This is just not a book I enjoyed reading- though I do believe that's more to do with the topic matter then the writing itself.
As the writing must be pretty good to make me feel such levels of rage, anger and annoyance, that mange to affect my day 😅

I quite enjoy the politics and the world-building, and I love the different religions and how they're incorporated into the world.
But my GOD do I hate Eseult.
It's hard to enjoy a book when the subject matter is such a whiney selfish cow. I don't thin
Zahra
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-tbr
I AM DECEASED. THIS WAS FUCKING BRILLIANT AND I HAVE BEEN READING NON STOP THIS WEEKEND.

I mean I’ve read over 150 pages each day yesterday and today and I NEVER do that. This really shows how amazing the book is. It’s so much better than the first book and I understand everything Branwen is doing, I just wish she could confide in SOMEONE. Keeping so many secrets to yourself is not healthy nor good and I can definitely see the consequences of that in Branwen.

I’m loving Ruan and Branwen together a
Barred Owl Books
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Branwen has a secret powerful enough to destroy two kingdoms.

Her ancient magic led to a terrible betrayal by both her best friend, the princess Essy, and her first love, Tristan. Now this same magic is changing Branwen. Adrift in a rival court, Branwen must hide the truth from the enemy king by protecting the lovers who broke her heart―and finds herself considering a darker path.

Not ev
Amber Medley
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm so stressed out I don't even want to talk about it! This is NOT what I was expecting and now I need to lie down and process

I truly didn't think a book could hurt me as much as book one did. I lost sleep over the ending of that book and over a year later, still think about it frequently. Needless to say I have stayed up to 4am thinking about this book with over half of the story still to be read. I truly don't know how I'm going to recover!
Nikki
May 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
I utterly hated almost everything about this - every time I thought it was about to move on from endless unnecessary romantic drama it double down on it!

The politics was good, and I liked a lot of the parts about being in Kernyv. But I went from liking Branwen and Tristan, to hating them. And Eseult really has little to recommend her to start with.

The only saving characters were Andred, Marc and Vivica.

Someone summarise how it ends for me, I can’t put myself through this again.
Kori Sulewski (korireads)
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I finished this last night and OH MY I need the third one! It’s been a bit since I’ve felt invested in a YA fantasy series and I’m so happy I chose to read this. I loved this sequel even more than the first. It’s beautifully written and introduces some amazing new characters. These books are a bit slower paced but they’re never boring. The drama! The angst!
Kris
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can’t even form thoughts right now like WOW! I seriously need the next one ASAP.
Manon
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So. Much. Love!
Lissa Hawley
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: future-releases
I have been dying to read this book since I first read an ARC of Sweet Black Waves over a year ago, and it did not disappoint.

Wild and savage are definitely appropriate adjectives for this story (book 2, I am already miserable for #3). Branwen, the MC tries so hard to cope with her errors from the first book and to do what's right, though she stumbles (and full out falls) in that endeavor frequently.

I can't think of much more to say without spoilers, but I really enjoyed the characters, includ
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Lady Rogue
  • When She Reigns (Fallen Isles, #3)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • The Seventh Sun (The Age of the Seventh Sun, #1)
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Bid My Soul Farewell (Give the Dark My Love, #2)
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • The Stars We Steal
  • Thorn (Dauntless Path, #1)
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
  • Red Hood
  • Dangerous Remedy (Dangerous Remedy, #1)
  • Crown of Oblivion
Kristina Pérez is the author of THE MYTH OF MORGAN LA FEY (Palgrave Macmillan, 2014). She holds a PhD in Medieval Literature from the University of Cambridge.

Her debut YA Fantasy, SWEET BLACK WAVES––a Tristan and Iseult retelling––was published by Imprint/Macmillan on June 5th, 2018. The sequel, WILD SAVAGE STARS was published on August 27th, 2019. The conclusion to the trilogy, BRIGHT RAVEN SKIE

Sweet Black Waves (3 books)
  • Sweet Black Waves (Sweet Black Waves #1)
  • Bright Raven Skies (Sweet Black Waves, #3)