Wildness is a kind of magic
Discover a land of enchantment, legend, and adventure in this third book of The Immortals series, featuring an updated package – perfect for longtime fans and newcomers alike.
Daine Sarrasri’s power is growing, and her bond with animals is ever stronger.
Along with her mentor, Numair, and a delegation from Tortall, Daine is sent to the Emperor Mage...more
That said, I have notes.
1. Who sends Alanna, she of the infamous temper, to a notoriously volatile empire as a diplomat? Doesn't that sound... stupid? I love Alanna, but I don't think Carthak is the right place for her. Which is seen, by the way, when the emperor de ...more
Emperor Mage is the third of Tamora Pierce’s Immortals Quartet. It opens with Daine, Numair, Alanna, and other nobles arriving in Carthak in their ship, where the older group, including Numair who has been given a pardon by his sworn enemy, Emperor Orzone of Carthak, and the titular Emperor Mage, for peace talks while Daine has been sent to cure Orzone’s birds (he is a bird lover) who are suffering a mysterious illness. ...more
Daine may seem cute with her crunchy granola, tree-hugging, “save the whales” exterior but i ...more
Faith restored in this series! I had a pretty good time in book 1, a bad time in book 2, and a great time in this one! I'm impressed and excited to read book 4.
Without spoiling this one, this series follows Daine, a young mage who has various cool, animal related powers. The country she lives in is experiencing conflict with a neighbouring c ...more
Daine, her master, Numair, the King's Champion, Alanna, and other Tortall diplomats head to Carthak to try to negotiate peace and keep the two countries from war. Daine's mission is specifically to heal the Emperor Mage's beloved birds. But Daine sees an old slave woman who shouldn't be there and gets warnings from the Beaver God to stay away.
Let me preface this review with the note that I listened to this on audiobook and thus may grossly mispell the name ...more
Daine is off to Cathark, along with a delegation from Tortall. Daine is to heal the emperor's birds while the delegation attempts to forge a peace treaty. As the talks press on, Daine discovers that there are plenty of things happening in Cathark that she doesn't agree with. There also appear to be some meddling gods unhappy with the situation.
I love the expanding of the universe. Getting out of Tor ...more
Daine is 'invited' along with a ragtag group of Tortallian delegates to attempt to arrange peace between Tortall and Carthak. She's supposed to heal birds, discovers she can heal the dead, and ends up in Revenge!mode after a series of (hilarious) misunderstandings.
1. I will be blunt: I am increasingly disappointed in these books. I can just about taste the fascinating, intricate, complex story of a girl who is unwittingly growing into a conduit between the Divine Rea ...more
Daine, Numair and Alanna journey to Carthak, in the hope that if Daine can heal the Emperor Ozorne prized birds, it will help the peace process between Carthak and Tortall. However, Daine get mixed up in both political and religious situations as the Goddess, the Graveyard Hag, gives her a power which could ruin everything. This series has everything it has magic, action, romance and a story which draws you in and y ...more
A few things:
1) It is always easier to find fault in others than in oneself. Yes, slavery is bad in any form. But does the whole Tortall vs. Carthak culture need to be set up so preachy? Why is one superior to another? Is Tortall an ideal country with perfect citizens with perfect morals living perfect lives? No. So why is there a good Tortall and bad Carthak vibe going on?
2) There is this one sentence that seemed really strange to me and I'm wondering if it i ...more
In order to stave off the potentially devastating consequences of war on their small kingdom, a mission of all the knights you remember from previous books in order to wage peace, as well as heal the Emperor's birds, whom he cares about more than life itself ...more
I do wish other books in the series were more like this one other aspects, though. This book has pretty much the best pacing of any book in the Tortall series, and has a perfect blend of mystery, court intrigue, comedy, adventure, etc.
This was such a quick read. I finished it in less than a day – it was compelling and I could not put it down. 🙂
I’ve been trying to pin point why I enjoyed books one and three so much yet the second somehow felt short. I think it’s the humans – the middle book was more about animals rather than people and despite enjoying those animal interactions a lot, I could not fully connect with the book.
Emperor Mage was again more about h ...more
A few things:
1. Tortall has very modern attitudes, given it's vaguely medieval in a lot of ways. They're not so jarring when you're in Tortall, but given that apparently every other country has very different attitudes, it starts to grate. In the sense that Tortall is almost too perfect.
2. GARY/HIS PAPERS.
3. Alanna was fun. I enjoy her and Daine's friendship.
4. Daine and Kaddar were interesting together as well, in a friendly way.
5. I sec ...more
EMPEROR MAGE follows the story of Daine, now fifteen years old, a girl with the rare power of "wild magic" that gives her an extraordinary affinity with animals. With her wild magic, Daine can communicate with animals, see the world through their senses, and even transform herself into one, all skills that the first two books of THE IMMORTALS series have shown her develop.
In this third book, the stakes are raised as Daine accompanies an ambassadoria ...more
I'm pretty sure the last time I read this book was before I started college. I have to say it was pretty cool to reread it now that I am a geology graduate student. All I can say is: dinosaurs. In a fantasy setting. I loved Tamora Pierce's description of the different types of dinosaurs. There was even a description of an Archaeopteryx, the missing link fossil between birds and dinosaurs! And they actually played a pertinent part in the storyline!
(view spoiler)[I am kind of glad thoug ...more
|What if you had wild magic too, and the Graveyard Hag gave you the same power? What would you do, then?||3||14||Feb 07, 2014 09:18PM|
|Nothing But Readi...: Pierce, Tamora ; Emperor Mage (The Immortals #3) ;"Informal Buddy Read" ; Start Date 14 September 2013||7||118||Sep 16, 2013 09:38PM|
|Favorite?!||9||51||May 28, 2013 07:19AM|
I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro ...more