Start by marking “Emperor Mage (The Immortals, Book 3)” as Want to Read:
Emperor Mage (The Immortals, Book 3)

Emperor Mage

(The Immortals #3)

Wildness is a kind of magic

Discover a land of enchantment, legend, and adventure in this third book of The Immortals series, featuring an updated package – perfect for longtime fans and newcomers alike.

Daine Sarrasri’s power is growing, and her bond with animals is ever stronger.

Along with her mentor, Numair, and a delegation from Tortall, Daine is sent to the Emperor Mage

Published October 18th 2018 by HarperVoyager (first published November 17th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Emperor Mage, please sign up.
Cassandra genre: fantasy, adventure?

Protagonist: she's determined, fairly quiet (to humans) but can be stubborn when she gets worked up.
Grace S. I wouldn't. Emperor Mage is Book Thee of a four-book series, you'd know what was going on a lot better if you started at the beginning.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Last month I read Tempests and Slaughter, Tamora Pierce's prequel book about the mage Numair's younger days, studying magic at a Carthak university. I handed that one off to my 15 year old son, who read it and then promptly went to his school library and checked out the entire IMMORTALS series. When he brought Emperor Mage home the other day, I snagged it from him when he was finished so that I could remind myself of what happened with Prince Orzorne, the lovely Varice, and other Carthaki charac ...more
Kogiopsis
Oct 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been doing some thinking and have come to a conclusion that, I suppose, should have been obvious a long time ago: I connect to Tamora Pierce's characters better than I connect to pretty much any other characters. They get under my skin, in my blood, into my heart; I see through their eyes so easily it astounds me. I've read this series more times than I can remember, but I still feel the same intensity that I recall from the first time - and the last few chapters of this book still have a h ...more
Beth
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I'm giving this four stars because this stands in stark contrast to the previous two books, but all the same: I really did enjoy this, and it definitely holds up as my favorite of the Daine books. POLITICS. I LOVE THE POLITICS.

That said, I have notes.

1. Who sends Alanna, she of the infamous temper, to a notoriously volatile empire as a diplomat? Doesn't that sound... stupid? I love Alanna, but I don't think Carthak is the right place for her. Which is seen, by the way, when the emperor de
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Now, THAT'S more like it! Major major redemption for the yawnfest that was book 2. In Emperor Mage, Daine gets to pretend she's actually a girl sent from a royal envoy as diplomats into a foreign land instead of a girl who wants to be an animal and surrounded by animals all the time. Human interactions are awesome, and I'm so glad Daine isn't just talking and plotting with animals all the time now, and that she's actually solving a decent mystery and dealing with major international intrigue. It ...more
Dannii Elle
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to follow.
Jackie
UGGGGH YOU GUYSSSS /whine. This is actually both my favourite book in this series and the one that gives me the most "problematic!" vibes. I wish I could nut out this problem. Basically what I love about it is the evocation of Carthak, a city/country I wish Tamora Pierce would write more about, because it's a fascinating amalgam of Carthage and Rome and probably a whole bunch of other classical civs I don't know about. Wasn't Pierce meant to write that book about Numair's younger years at the un ...more
Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore
My thanks to Harper Collins UK and NetGalley for a review copy of this book.

Emperor Mage is the third of Tamora Pierce’s Immortals Quartet. It opens with Daine, Numair, Alanna, and other nobles arriving in Carthak in their ship, where the older group, including Numair who has been given a pardon by his sworn enemy, Emperor Orzone of Carthak, and the titular Emperor Mage, for peace talks while Daine has been sent to cure Orzone’s birds (he is a bird lover) who are suffering a mysterious illness.
Catie
Aaaaand, we’re back. Everything that I felt was lacking in the second book (eg, my interest) was revived completely in this book. Daine is back in the land of the two-leggers and is facing the oft named but never before seen Emperor Mage Ozorne. And it turns out that Ozorne really shouldn’t have messed with our Daine. There’s a whole chapter called “Daine loses her temper” which I’m still grinning about.

Daine may seem cute with her crunchy granola, tree-hugging, “save the whales” exterior but i
Rachel (Kalanadi)
I still absolutely adore this book. Wild Magic is dear to me because it was my first book by Pierce, but Emperor Mage makes my heart soar every time. Zek, Kitten, Bonedancer, the hyenas, the Graveyard Hag, the reanimated dinosaur bones!, and hints of Numair's back story... the sumptuous surroundings and rot underneath... and finally some answers about Daine's father!
✨Skye✨
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free ebook version of this from Netgalley. Thankyou to both the publisher and Netgalley for allowing me to read this! My review is still honest.

Faith restored in this series! I had a pretty good time in book 1, a bad time in book 2, and a great time in this one! I'm impressed and excited to read book 4.
Without spoiling this one, this series follows Daine, a young mage who has various cool, animal related powers. The country she lives in is experiencing conflict with a neighbouring c
Crystal Starr Light
A trip down South and a brush with death

Daine, her master, Numair, the King's Champion, Alanna, and other Tortall diplomats head to Carthak to try to negotiate peace and keep the two countries from war. Daine's mission is specifically to heal the Emperor Mage's beloved birds. But Daine sees an old slave woman who shouldn't be there and gets warnings from the Beaver God to stay away.

Let me preface this review with the note that I listened to this on audiobook and thus may grossly mispell the name
Livia Winata
IT WAS A YA FANTASY BUT WRITTEN LIKE A FABLE FOR CHILDREN,in a good way. THE ACTIONS WERE STUNNING!
Clephiro (The Book Coven)
I'm pretty sure at this point everyone has read this book, and if you haven't - you really should.

Daine is off to Cathark, along with a delegation from Tortall. Daine is to heal the emperor's birds while the delegation attempts to forge a peace treaty. As the talks press on, Daine discovers that there are plenty of things happening in Cathark that she doesn't agree with. There also appear to be some meddling gods unhappy with the situation.

I love the expanding of the universe. Getting out of Tor
kris
Nov 16, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
[Also read 19 December 2007]

Daine is 'invited' along with a ragtag group of Tortallian delegates to attempt to arrange peace between Tortall and Carthak. She's supposed to heal birds, discovers she can heal the dead, and ends up in Revenge!mode after a series of (hilarious) misunderstandings.

1. I will be blunt: I am increasingly disappointed in these books. I can just about taste the fascinating, intricate, complex story of a girl who is unwittingly growing into a conduit between the Divine Rea
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

Daine, Numair and Alanna journey to Carthak, in the hope that if Daine can heal the Emperor Ozorne prized birds, it will help the peace process between Carthak and Tortall. However, Daine get mixed up in both political and religious situations as the Goddess, the Graveyard Hag, gives her a power which could ruin everything. This series has everything it has magic, action, romance and a story which draws you in and y
Noelle
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Happy sigh]
If nothing else a classic for the chapter title Daine Loses Her Temper.
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved this one! Review to follow!
Nidofito
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, this was hugely entertaining BUT

A few things:

1) It is always easier to find fault in others than in oneself. Yes, slavery is bad in any form. But does the whole Tortall vs. Carthak culture need to be set up so preachy? Why is one superior to another? Is Tortall an ideal country with perfect citizens with perfect morals living perfect lives? No. So why is there a good Tortall and bad Carthak vibe going on?

2) There is this one sentence that seemed really strange to me and I'm wondering if it i
Fantasy Literature
The Emperor Mage is the third book in Tamora Pierce's The Immortals Quartet, and by this stage if you haven't read the previous installments (Wild Magic and Wolf Speaker) I heartily recommend that you don't start here — you'll be completely baffled. A peace delegation including Alanna the Lioness, the Gareths and other nobles from Tortall have been sent to the hot, swampy Charthak Empire in order to negotiate peace with the war-mongering Emperor Ozorne. With them is Numair, once the Emperor's be ...more
Morgan (The Bookish Beagle)
I LOVED THIS. I flew through it while the 2nd book took me some time. I was immediately into the story; I liked the change in setting and meeting all the new characters and creatures. Zek!! And Kaddar was so interesting, his relationship with Daine was great. I kept picturing the Graveyard Hag as a mix between Mulan's grandmother and the short Fate sister from Hercules. This book was so exciting and awesome, I think I'll start the next one right now. I really love Daine's powers and watching her ...more
Claire
Jan 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Daine returns in the third book of the Immortals quartet. Here she is brought on a diplomatic mission to a kingdom south of Tortall (which is strangely like Egypt. . .hmmm) where the all-powerful Emperor is plotting a war. A war with Tortall.

In order to stave off the potentially devastating consequences of war on their small kingdom, a mission of all the knights you remember from previous books in order to wage peace, as well as heal the Emperor's birds, whom he cares about more than life itself
Stephanie
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Reread this during a sick day. Ohhh boy it reads different as a 30-something than it did as a preteen. Pierce almost always handles her non-European counterpart cultures awkwardly, and it's no different here.

I do wish other books in the series were more like this one other aspects, though. This book has pretty much the best pacing of any book in the Tortall series, and has a perfect blend of mystery, court intrigue, comedy, adventure, etc.
Kayla Edwards
There's nothing I can say that will adequately express how I feel about these books and I'm not even going to try. Besides, the fact that I read them all repeatedly (I quit counting after the 10th time) is the highest form of praise I can give anyway. Daine, Numair, and the others are friends as dear to me as any in this world.
snowplum
I loved book one. I really, really liked book two. I... enjoyed book 3. That's a disappointing downward trend for a series that was trying to be one of the greatest things ever in the history of YA fantasy -- even though it's still better than 99ish% of middle grade options. My issue here is largely an extension of the nit I picked with book 2 in comparison with book 1 -- it's just not as emotionally well-rounded. There are more new ideas in Emperor Mage, and there's also a more complicated poli ...more
Vera
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Full review that includes some graphics can be found on my blog here.

This was such a quick read. I finished it in less than a day – it was compelling and I could not put it down. 🙂

I’ve been trying to pin point why I enjoyed books one and three so much yet the second somehow felt short. I think it’s the humans – the middle book was more about animals rather than people and despite enjoying those animal interactions a lot, I could not fully connect with the book.

Emperor Mage was again more about h
Andrea
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
I swear Daine picks up a new animal side kick in every book and I love it!! This was definitely my favorite book in the series so far, which is weird because Daine is mostly with animals or other Carthakians, instead of Numaire. I just love this series so much but my brain is tired and I'm sick so that's all I got lol.
Andree
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
3.5 stars? These are not exactly standing up to rereading.

A few things:

1. Tortall has very modern attitudes, given it's vaguely medieval in a lot of ways. They're not so jarring when you're in Tortall, but given that apparently every other country has very different attitudes, it starts to grate. In the sense that Tortall is almost too perfect.

2. GARY/HIS PAPERS.

3. Alanna was fun. I enjoy her and Daine's friendship.

4. Daine and Kaddar were interesting together as well, in a friendly way.

5. I sec
Hollowspine
Feb 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Candace Cunard for TeensReadToo.com

EMPEROR MAGE follows the story of Daine, now fifteen years old, a girl with the rare power of "wild magic" that gives her an extraordinary affinity with animals. With her wild magic, Daine can communicate with animals, see the world through their senses, and even transform herself into one, all skills that the first two books of THE IMMORTALS series have shown her develop.

In this third book, the stakes are raised as Daine accompanies an ambassadoria
Katie
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2011 review
I'm pretty sure the last time I read this book was before I started college. I have to say it was pretty cool to reread it now that I am a geology graduate student. All I can say is: dinosaurs. In a fantasy setting. I loved Tamora Pierce's description of the different types of dinosaurs. There was even a description of an Archaeopteryx, the missing link fossil between birds and dinosaurs! And they actually played a pertinent part in the storyline!

(view spoiler)
  • Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)
  • Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2)
  • High Wizardry (Young Wizards, #3)
  • The Waterless Sea (The Chanters of Tremaris, #2)
  • Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2)
  • Page (Tamora Pierce Novel)
  • Firebirds Rising: An Anthology of Original Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Rise of a Hero
  • The Light of the Oracle (Healer and Seer, #3)
  • Arrow's Fall (Heralds of Valdemar, #3)
  • Sign of the Dove
Hey, folks! I just discovered that apparently I have given some very popular books single-star ratings--except I haven't. How do I know I haven't? Because I haven't read those books at all. So before you go getting all hacked off at me for trashing your favorites, know that I've written GoodReads to find out what's going on.

I return to my regularly scheduled profile:
Though I would love to join gro

The Immortals (4 books)
  • Wild Magic (Immortals, #1)
  • Wolf-Speaker (Immortals, #2)
  • The Realms of the Gods (Immortals, #4)
“Someday I must read this scholar Everyone. He seems to have written so much--all of it wrong.” 648 likes
“You must tell Lady Alanna that sometime. I'd do it from a distance.” 283 likes