Start by marking “Failsafe Query (Sean Richardson #1)” as Want to Read:
Failsafe Query (Sean Richardson #1)

Failsafe Query

(Sean Richardson #1)

The Failsafe Query is a gripping thriller set in the contemporary world of modern British espionage.

Sean Richardson, a disgraced former intelligence agent, is tasked to lead a team to search for Alfie Chapman, an Intelligence officer on the cusp of exposing thousands of secrets to the media. This includes a long lost list of Russian moles embedded since the Cold War, one
Published June 14th 2018 by Unbound Digital

To ask other readers questions about Failsafe Query, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Failsafe Query

Start your review of Failsafe Query (Sean Richardson #1)
Whispering Stories
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book Reviewed by Stacey on www.whisperingstories.com

Sean Richardson is an Ex British Intelligence Officer who is tasked with finding out if Iraq has weapons of mass destruction in the days after the terrible events that will forever be known as 9/11.

The book opens in Moscow 2005 with a well orchestrated ‘drop off’, then jumps back in time to Central Asia 2001 where Richardson is protecting his informant General Yuri Yakubova of the Uzbekistan Army and gaining his trust by thwarting the first attempt
Els
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it
At first I had a bit of trouble getting into the story. There was so much thrown at me that it made my head spin, but I was intrigued as well and that was what made me going on.

I am a Russia and espionage loving person. Give me James Bond any day of the week. That why I wanted to read this book.

The author has a way of taking you on a road full of twists and turns and makes you really believe what he is talking about, but somehow I was not really into it. There were parts
Alison
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was captured by the crisp, punchy language in the first paragraph. A Cold War spy and forensic storyline, specific in detail, not sugar-coated, it’s gutsy and real. I read how characters compile, assess and analyse information in the 21st century of cyber technology and intelligence gathering. As such this is a superb modern spy intrigue. I would place Michael Jenkins alongside, John Le Carre and Frederick Forsyth and I look forward to reading more of his books. I was lucky to read this marvel ...more
Di Paterson
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Failsafe Query is a thoroughly enjoyable thriller, well written and entirely plausible. You have to remind yourself to breathe, because the fast-paced action will leave you breathless, but there is enough humour to release the tension. The characters are well-developed, and I'm happy to know that we will be meeting some of them again.

This book was brought to me by The Pigeonhole, who I have to thank for introducing me to another wonderful new author.
Amelia
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness, what a really excellent book. Absolutely gripping, tense and thrilling. Such intrigue. I was lucky enough to be able to read this via the Pidgeonhole App in ten daily staves. I immediately became addicted and could not wait for each stave to arrive. It is extremely well written with very in depth and interesting characters. It touches on real life scandalous events that make it even more believable and exciting. I would highly recommend this book to anyone and can't wait to read ...more
Jeanette Heidenberg
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very enjoyable and convincing modern day spy novel with nods to Cold War Russian spy novels, but with a fresh take, connecting to modern day issues, like election meddling and Snowden. It’s been years since I last read a spy novel, so I started reading this on social reading platform The Pigeonhole with some trepidation. But I was immediately drawn in to the story and stayed that way until the end.

The main character, Sean Richardson, is not the tired lone wolf superspy tha
Shelagh Wadman
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Failsafe Query was a complete departure from my usual reading. I was lucky enough to read this book before its publication in ten daily staves and read along with other readers making comments. From the first paragraph I was hooked. We follow Sean, a former intelligence officer, the main character on a mission to find Alfie who had disappeared just before he was going to expose top security information including a list of Russian moles. Which, if exposed, would shake the government to its co ...more
Lance Greenfield
I really enjoyed this story. The political and international background is authentic. The characters are interesting and I particularly liked Natasha. The book could have done with a heavier dose of her and her sadistic ruthlessness. She is certainly not somebody who you would want to cross, even if you were battling for the same side.

For the most part, the pace is good, although it stumbles in places and I found some of the dialogue a bit forced and stilted. There were a few irritat
Susan
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fast-paced book which (for me) only flagged a bit just before the epilogue. It's certainly topical in terms of recent political events, especially those in the UK. I did, however, find it difficult to judge whether or not there is an intended political bias. The plot also harks back to the old Cold War era, reminding us that we are now experiencing the new one, and is set in a variety of interesting locations. I have a few minor quibbles (the old UK & NI embassy in Moscow was alway ...more
Gail Wylde
Shelves: pigeonhole
I was gripped by this book from start to finish. Loved all the characters especially Sean. The theme was very topical and had lots of twists and turns along the way. This will make an excellent movie and can't wait to watch it.
Thank you to Michael Jenkins and Pigeonhole for allowing me to be among the first to read it.
Peter
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
The Failsafe Query was a great read. The thing I look for in spy novels, especially set in modern times, is a very plausible set up. And this was something the book had in spades. Retelling some of the events of the past decade and a half it successfully weaves in the background of the Iraq war through to the Russian influence on politics and voting in the US and the UK. It was a real highlight for me on how plausible it all sounded, though of course with fictional characters.

The mai
Andy Oppenheimer
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love espionage novels. As an independent analyst in counter-terrorism who worked with intelligence people in the distant past I love the intrigues, the deceptions and the secrecy. I also hate espionage novels. I haven’t a clue what’s going on: I need one of those police wall charts to plot all the characters, the tangled networks, who knows what, when and who, and so on.

But in Michael Jenkins’s towering first novel The Failsafe Query this wasn’t needed. There’s plenty of intrigue and deceptio
John Sykes
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Right then,

This is a cracking read! plausible structure, edge of the seat stuff, with differing country involvement (All the main suspects here), tense and intriguing. There is an undercurrent of realism regarding search process, techniques and expertise available. There is a story-line running in tandem with the main event which also has you hoping the end result is achieved. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I became immersed in the details and couldn't put it down. Well done Michael
Paula
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A 'best of British' espionage thriller
Set amid a modern day spyworld.
This riveting book will have you on the edge of your seat .
Taking you on a roller coaster ride of twists and turns .
I am well informed , that 'the Failsafe Query' is , pretty close to the truth ,of today's work amongst the field of british intelligence.
This book was extremely well written by new author Michael Jenkins and I wait with anticipation for his next.
Clare
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This isn’t my usual type of book at all, but I’m glad I read it - very entertaining and fast paced. It did require a bit of concentration with all of the intrigue, back story, twists and turns, but I think I ‘got it’ in the end! I can’t say as I’ve ever really read a book based on espionage before, but thanks to The Pigeonhole (again!) I tried it and I liked it.
Jason RB
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really interesting premise and a good story line and plot. However some of the dialogue between characters felt a little bit stilted. Overall thoroughly enjoyed the book and looking forward to the sequel
Pete Morgan
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really excellent espionage story / mixed nicely with a brilliant set of characters. Very plausible and dramatic, so much so that each chapter ended on a cliffhanger making me want more and more. Not many good spy stories like this one.
Beatrice Mamberto
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly captivating book. Acion packed with a very clever plot. I was hooked in the blink of an eye. Quite unputdownable!
Kugathas Ramathas
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent spy story. keeps you at the edge all the time
Jo Shaw
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great fast-paced spy thriller I was able to read on The Pigeonhole. Well developed characters that left me wanting to read more about them. I can’t wait to read the sequel in 2019!
Jo Hall
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a fantastic read this was! A real edge-of-seat read with twists and turns a plenty!
I was enthralled at being able to peer into the secret world of spies, espionage, military expertise and secret operations.
A real page turner from start to finish - you won’t want to put it down!
As a film, this would be an absolute cracker!
Shane Deakin
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a book this quickly for many years, couldn't put it down, thank you Michael Jenkins, can't wait for the next one.
Bryan Miller
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an excellent read. A new approach to the spy novel. Totally original thinking and approach. Well constructed with a variety of fascinating characters that will no doubt appear in any sequels. He has made use of a great many of the techniques available to the modern day spy, investigator, hero. A serious contender for the likes of Ian Flemming, Frederick Forsythe, Lee Child, Diane Capri, just to mention a few. I really hope he has a few more stories up his sleeve and we can see the character ...more
Johnny R
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Gripped me from the start and found it very hard to put down. Loved the plot and the characters. Cracking read Michael and look forward to your second book. You’ve set the bar high👍
Drew Johnson
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An explosive and totally believable plot

Throughout this book I was completely drawn in to the authenticity of the plot – you can just picture this all being true (or not very far from the truth).

From the outset, the characters are drawn and the seeds are sown for a very intricate storyline, from whence the various plot line threads are drawn tighter together in the middle section of the book. There is a forensic level of detail at times that leaves you in no doubt as to the aut
Richard Knowles
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced, plausible, cracking characters, intrigue, political shenanigans, espionage - this has the lot in spades. The author's experiences shine through with dialogue and action that you can easily envisage without being overly technical or complicated - you don't have to be an expert to fully understand what is going on.
If you want a book you can dip in and out of, then this isn't for you - once you've started, you'll be hooked until the end.
Eagerly anticipating the next book now
Martin Abbott
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very realistic intelligence and military detail

I really enjoyed this book, intertwined with very realistic intelligence and military detail, that gave the edge of realism to a great plot that John LeCarre, would be proud of. The only reason for 4 rather than 5 stars is the author should avoid romantic fiction.
NEIL DREW
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read.. current, well researched and as a result very hard to put down. Looking forward to the next instalment, The Kompromat Kill. Definitely a recommended read.
Andrew Clarke
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A totally absorbing cold-war thriller. Written in such a way to grab attention and leave you turning each page to find out what happens next. Full of interesting and complex characters that leave you yearning to know more.
Using contemporary events like Brexit with political intrigue in the recent past such as the Iraq war, this is a fantastic update to the espionage genre.
The author writes with an obvious in depth knowledge of the subject matter and of each of the locations visited i
Karen Cole
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I always look forward to reading spy thrillers and certainly wasn't disappointed by The Failsafe Query which features some references to well-known historical events that continue to shape our lives but with most of the action taking place only a few years ago also has the feel of a contemporary thriller.
The prologue takes place in Moscow in 2005 with a clandestine night-time exchange between two men but then the timeline switches back to 2001 where the reader is introduced to Sean Richard
Goodreads Librari...: The Failsafe Query - 978-1-91261-828-6 3 13 Dec 19, 2018 05:32AM

• The Berlin Spies: the brilliant Second World War and Cold War thriller for fans of John le Carré
  • Once A Pilgrim (John Carr, #1)
  • The Midnight House (John Wells, #4)
  • Nightfall Berlin
  • The Angry Sea (John Carr, #2)
  • Nemesis (Tom Wilde, #3)
  • Bloodmoney
  • The Spy Whisperer (Ben Sign Mystery #1)
  • The Hunter
  • The Director
  • Agents of Innocence
  • Night Flight to Paris
  • The Righteous Spy
  • Secret Service
  • The Russian Doll (Ben Sign Mystery #3)
  • A Firing Offense
  • The Silent Man (John Wells, #3)
  • The Faithful Spy (John Wells, #1)
I started climbing at 13, survived being lost in Snowdonia at 14, nearly drowned at 15, and then joined the Army at 16. Risk and adventure was built into my DNA and I feel very fortunate to have served the majority of my working career as an intelligence officer within Defence Intelligence, and as an explosive ordnance disposal officer and military surveyor within the Corps of Royal Engineers.

I w

Sean Richardson (2 books)
  • The Kompromat Kill (Sean Richardson #2)