Start by marking “The Enemy (Jack Reacher, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Enemy (Jack Reacher, #8)

The Enemy

(Jack Reacher #8)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  92,256 ratings  ·  2,692 reviews
Jack Reacher. Hero. Loner. Soldier. Soldier’s son. An elite military cop, he was one of the army’s brightest stars. But in every cop’s life there is one case that changes everything. For Jack Reacher, this is that case.

New Year’s Day, 1990. In a North Carolina motel, a two-star general is found dead. His briefcase is missing. Nobody knows what was in it. Within minutes
Published 2017 by Delacorte Press (first published May 11th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Enemy, please sign up.
David Yes. Reacher is just simply bad ass. My son is ten and I force him to read these books.

·  92,256 ratings  ·  2,692 reviews

Start your review of The Enemy (Jack Reacher, #8)
John
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, I will admit it....after not even paying attention to Lee Child's name in the bookstores all these years, I am now a committed Jack Reacher fan. And it even pains me more to reveal that it was the Tom Cruise movie that motivated me to start reading the series! (Ouch...that hurt just to type)

But, whether you go to see the movie or just want a fun read, I highly recommend these novels. I have read two now and am on my third. Same engaging character (Reacher,) great plot lines, wonderful
Alp
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

“You’re wasting your time,” I said. “And you’re making a big mistake. Because you really don’t want to make an enemy out of me.”

Absolutely brilliant.

You can’t go wrong with anything Lee Child has published. This is my eighth book I’ve read from him, and I can tell you that it totally exceeded my already high expectations. Such a fantastic read!

In this installment, Jack Reacher, way back when he was still a Military Police, had teamed up with Lieutenant Summer to investigate the killings
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Enemy (Jack Reacher #8), Lee Child
The Prequel, The Enemy, is the eighth book in the Jack Reacher series written by Lee Child. It is narrated in the first person. In the last hours of 1989, Major Gen. Kenneth Kramer dies of a heart attack in a seedy North Carolina motel. Jack Reacher investigates and comes to the conclusion that the woman Kramer was with stole his briefcase. Reacher's superior, Col. Leon Garber, orders him to deliver news of the general's death to his wife. Accompanied by a
✨Susan✨
I love this fast action, fast moving series. Jack Reacher is a mans man with a tough exterior and a good moral compass. I have not read this series in order but this could be the first. It is the explanation of why Jack opts out of his military career. The storyline moves along smartly with good characters who are likable and believable. I love when any of these come up as a Daily Deal. Dick Hill is not always my favorite narrator but Reacher is the perfect character for him.
Kathy Davie
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, action, thriller
First in the Jack Reacher thriller series (and technically eighth) revolving around an ex-military policeman out to see the world. And save it. This story takes place at Fort Bird in North Carolina.

My Take
I just love how Reacher's mind works. It's fascinating to read how he pulls the clues together, how he puts himself into the killer's mind. I do like the post pathologist. He's as interested in truth as Reacher and they dance around the evidence and keeping it safe.

Make me laugh… "The Reacher
William
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb, 5 Stars!

Child's best-ever writing, especially Reacher's personal life with brother Joe and his dying mother, poignant, honest and true. A gem. For the first time, after 8 books and 8 years of Reacher, Child produces pathos and real honour. Well done. Welcome to my favourite writers club.

And all this is wrapped in a deliciously complex military conspiracy. Wonderful.

As usual with my reviews, please first read the publisher’s blurb/summary of the book. Thank you.

Summer talking to
Mike (the Paladin)
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, thriller
I tend to read Jack Reacher (or simply Reacher as everyone calls our hero) in "batches". I've got to say I like the books but after a while the logical flaws begin to bother me a bit and I lay them aside until I can beef up my "suspension of reality" muscles again. You know jack travels around with no change of clothes, sometimes no money and meets extremely, unbelievably, impossibly beautiful women who all fall helplessly in love with him...oooookay.

But here we get a really good addition to the
Tim
Feb 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I previously listed this 3 stars although I had no memory of this story. Upon re-read (listen), I rate this story 5 of 10 stars.
Michael
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better Jack Reacher books--an interesting look at Reacher's earlier military career.
Rakesh
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am liking this.
On New year's day 1990, a highly ranked soldier is found dead, Reacher is on duty. Reacher is on a roll in search of the facts and to inform the widow. But he founds out the dead body of widow.
This itself can raise the curiosity within me at least. I will stick with this book and then will finish the remaining.
Abram
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: action-adventure
My Rating: 3.8/5

The first thing I loved about enemy is the first person perspective. The story is well thought and detailed. Characters are well written in terms of how interesting they are. The prose goes down a skid in some places and you can actually guess a lot of the twists around the path but The enemy is a thrilling ride. It's a lot of fun. We even get to know a lot more about Reacher. Overall it's a good read

I'm waiting to read the next book. Thank you, for reading the review.
Trudy
Oct 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite Lee Child books - and that says a lot as I would say he IS my favorite author! This book is a bit of a departure as it follows Jack Reacher while he is still in the military instead of Reacher, the ex military hobo.

He is removed from his post in Panama and stationed in North Carolina on New Year's Eve. A strategic relocation by someone that still has yet to be identified... While "celebrating" the new year in the MP office he is called to a run down hotel where a 2
Eddie Owens
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the character of Jack Reacher, but sometimes the author makes the plots a little too convoluted.

This isn't my favourite book in the series and at 540 pages it could have been two hundred pages shorter.

It seemed that the plot was engineered to take Reacher to lots of locations, and ultimately it was getting a bit boring.

This was one of the earlier novels, and I think the author has now grown into the character and spends more time with Reacher and less with contrived plots.
Jane Stewart
Weak 3 stars. It wasn’t as fun or engaging as other Reacher stories. A long drawn out mystery with a tell-all at the end.

STORY BRIEF:
A general was meeting someone for sex in a motel and dies of a heart attack. His briefcase with confidential documents is missing. Someone kills his wife the same day. Someone kills a Delta force soldier in the woods a day or so later. Reacher’s boss is transferred out and replaced by Willard who tells Reacher not to investigate these deaths.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
This
Sharon Mccall
I really wish I could love Jack Reacher books more. In theory they are everything I should enjoy in a story but in reality I find them a bit of a trudge through treacle and always about a hundred pages or so too long.

This one was interesting in that it took you back to perhaps a light bulb moment in Jack Reacher's army career and life and shows you a little more of his personal life. The isolated relationship he has with his family - even his mother only calls him Reacher.

We find Jack
Rob
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-thrillers
Number 8 in the Jack Reacher series.
This took me by surprise. Number 8 in the series and it's back to 1990 and Jack is still in the army.
For all that it is still a great read. Jack is still the same "mess with me and you will regret it" guy.
There is dead soldiers all over the place. Jack is being threatened by his CO to do a cover up on the deaths but Jack is not buying it. There is something very wrong going on in the US Army and Jack will break as many heads as he needs to to find out what is
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
4.5 Stars - Loved Reacher's "backstory"! This one goes back in time to when Reacher was an elite military cop. Reader's get a front row seat to the case that came back to bite him - ultimately destroying his career. At first, it seemed a bit strange to go back to a time before any of the previous books, but I ended up loving this story and finished having a better insight into the man Jack Reacher. As always with Child's writing, there are a lot of details and information woven into this story ...more
Alexa ❤️
I was in the army, and I was always where someone else told me to be. (Reacher page 559)

4 Stars

The Enemy takes us back to Reacher's army days as an MP. At the beginning of a new decade Reacher is suddenly transferred from Panama to Little Bird then a two star general is found dead and very much naked in a motel room. His briefcase is the only thing that's missing.

Reacher enlists the help of Lieutenant Summer to unravel the mystery which proves to be difficult as everyone is stone walling
Dale Renton
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Enemy" is the eighth of Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels and details his final case as a Military Police Major, as well as the death of his Parisian mother. I found it to be better written than the first Reacher novel ("Killing Floor") which I recently read, in terms of flow and continuity, and less reliant on choppy sentence structures to underpin Child's drive to make it a fast-paced read. The terse sentences petered out after the first couple of chapters and the writing transitioned to a ...more
James
Prequel time. Rather than Reacher the wandering loner, The Enemy gives us Reacher the army man; Reacher the Major; Reacher the Military Policeman. Long before the events of the previous seven novels (and referred to obliquely in at least one of them) Reacher got involved in something while he was an MP Major and had to take a demotion as a 'punishment'. This is the story of that something.

Reacher has been transferred back from Panama to a nowhere base in North Carolina. His transfer papers
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
This one just hit all the right notes. A crime novel with an MP thumbing his nose at authority and solving multiple murders.

But why was everyone 6'5" or 6'6"? That was a bit weird. And the lone woman in it weighed 90 pounds?

Okay, so a lot of it was some sort of bizarre wish fulfillment by the author but as long as you don't care about the research being top notch...

Well, I'm going to shut up now and just saw that I liked this very much despite my quibbles. It was exactly what I wanted right now
Jane
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a Jack Reacher novel. He gets into trouble, he gets into more trouble, then there is a fight or something gets blown up, then everything works out, and Reacher moves on. Good stuff, but he is not Tom Cruise!
Maureen DeLuca
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Number 8 in the series and still going strong! Looking forward to reading number 9 - !
Michale
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: whodunit
A nice trip back in time to Jack Reacher as an MP. Get to meet his family. Although I figured out one clue right away, Child still managed to throw in surprises at the end.
Amazing scene with Reacher and his brother taking leave of their dying mother in Paris:

Then she revisited another old family ritual. She did something she had done ten thousand times before, all through our lives, since we were first old enough to have individuality of our own. She stuggled up out of her chair and stepped over
Benjamin
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't really do it for me...Weakest of all the Lee Child books I have read.
Siobhan
I say this every time, but Lee Child is more of a guilty pleasure read than anything else. I enjoy the Jack Reacher stories yet I’m less sure about the story telling. Nevertheless, I mostly enjoy the books – some more than others.

As always, the writing left me feeling somewhat iffy. Whenever I have time away from the Jack Reacher books, it takes me a while to get back into Lee Child’s way of writing. Fortunately, this story was an interesting one meaning it did not take long before I was
Belinda
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
4,25 stars - English paperback- I have dyslexia.
This book takes us back to the army days of our main character.
As an MP. Great plotting again. Aldo I my head I have a Jack Reacher of my own when I read the pages.
Robert
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x2018-19-season
A flashback to Reacher's early career, written 15 years after the social and political events it looks back on and read 15 years after it was published, but it reads true without any of the forced nostalgia other authors succumb to when doing retro pieces, and with an oddly nihilistic coda that still works within the series.
Terri Lynn
This particular book is a prequel to the other books in Lee Child's Jack Reacher series but he has said he thinks it will have more emotional impact if read after the first 7 and before the books that follow and he is right about that.

When we first met Jack Reacher in Killing Floor Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, #1) by Lee Child , he had spent 13 years as a military cop and had retired from the Army. He was living a weird life which continued through the next books where he kept getting caught up in mysteries or being asked by some
Dlora
Nov 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure-action
Here I was thinking that the Jack Reacher novels were all action and fast-paced movement with lots of interesting settings in the macho worlds of military/police/criminals. I was amazed to find that The Enemy kept me pondering and thinking long after I was done reading it. I got thinking about all the "enemies" in the story that drove the plot. I assumed that the enemy referred to in the title was the murderer that Reacher was tracking down. But then the story is set in the political upheaval in ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Book doesn't link to series 2 29 Mar 12, 2014 11:58AM

• The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #1)
  • The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #4)
  • I, Sniper (Bob Lee Swagger, #6)
  • Memorial Day (Mitch Rapp, #7)
  • Time to Hunt (Bob Lee Swagger, #3)
  • Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon, #1)
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #7)
  • The Innocent (Will Robie, #1)
  • Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta, #1)
  • The First Rule (Elvis Cole, #13; Joe Pike, #2)
  • Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1)
  • Boter 1  (The Godfather, #1)
  • Certain Prey (Lucas Davenport, #10)
  • Stalking the Angel (Elvis Cole, #2)
  • Déjà Dead (Temperance Brennan, #1)
  • The Artist's Way
  • Ana Rocha: Shadows of Justice
Lee Child was born October 29th, 1954 in Coventry, England, but spent his formative years in the nearby city of Birmingham. By coincidence he won a scholarship to the same high school that JRR Tolkien had attended. He went to law school in Sheffield, England, and after part-time work in the theater he joined Granada Television in Manchester for what turned out to be an eighteen-year career as a ...more

Jack Reacher (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, #1)
  • Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2)
  • Tripwire  (Jack Reacher, #3)
  • Running Blind (Jack Reacher, #4)
  • Echo Burning (Jack Reacher, #5)
  • Without Fail (Jack Reacher, #6)
  • Persuader (Jack Reacher, #7)
  • One Shot (Jack Reacher, #9)
  • The Hard Way (Jack Reacher, #10)
  • Bad Luck and Trouble (Jack Reacher, #11)
“The Reacher brothers' need for caffeine makes heroin addiction look like an amusing little take-it-or-leave-it sideline.” 13 likes
“Everybody has a choice in life.” 12 likes