Start by marking “The Eighth Hell” as Want to Read:
The Eighth Hell

The Eighth Hell

The most dangerous women in the world dare the most dangerous place in the world.

The Shingora, a place known and dreaded by all, the name driving those who hear it to mutter prayers and make signs for protection. None who have gone to that island ever came back… until now.

The trade guilds sent an expedition there, hoping to find a wellspring of natural resources. Only one
Kindle Edition
Published May 8th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Eighth Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eighth Hell

Start your review of The Eighth Hell
Amber
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this ebook from the author in exchange for an honest review.

When Amazons Aleena and her sister Baz are hired to go find a missing boy who had been taken to a mysterious island, they accept not knowing what dangers lurk there. Will they succeed as well as survive in their mission and prove to everyone they are working with that they can save him? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good action adventure fantasy story. If you like stories like thi
Kat
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this third installment of the “Sisters of the Storm” series, an expedition to the deadly island of Shingora has returned, or rather, a single survivor has been recovered… a man driven so mad by what he has seen that he no longer wishes to survive. Not good. The trade guild interviews and hires a team to lead a new expedition and see if there are any survivors, testing out their powers in the process. The main female characters immediately grew on me. Alina and Bazha were hard-core heroines wi ...more
Robinette Waterson
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
A dangerous mission to a mysterious island, a small army of masters of both sword and sorcery, a robust world of epic fantasy, and more innovative monsters than you can count. This book has it all.
The adventure begins when a derelict ship is found spattered with blood and with a lone gibbering survivor. A rescue mission is mounted to recover the rest of the crew, thought to be marooned on an unknown island.

At the forefront are two strong female leads, who along with their worthy companions and t
Anna Willett
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An enthralling read!
Two women, sisters chosen by the gods embark on an expedition to the most dangerous place on earth to find survivors. On an island of monsters and abominations, Aleena the Battle Queen and her sister Baezha the Witch Queen face untold dangers, not to mention treacherous enemies set on undermining the mission.
The Eight Hell is an exciting adventure with enough sorcery, action and horror to satisfy any reader. Guy Estes has created a thrilling tale and a cast of intriguing cha
Nico Genes
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great read, with fantastic and tensed fight scenes.

Though listed as book 3 of the series Sisters of the Storm, this is a stand-alone novel. Packed with a great adventure, an almost impossible goal to achieve, a team of warriors, sorcerers, physicists, and a great dose of magic, this book is a ‘hell’ of a ride. The best people were carefully selected for a mission to the island Shingora, named also 'The eight hell' as no one ever returned alive from there. The offered payment was impressive as
Andrew Gracey
Jun 19, 2020 rated it liked it
The Eighth Hell by Guy Estes was a bit of a mixed bag for me. The opening had a hook that held my intrigue, however, the plot is bogged down by heavy dialogue, huge amounts of exposition and backstory, and so many characters that my head started to spin. Maybe this is a feature of fantasy novels that I am not accustomed to, but for me, it greatly affected my enjoyment of the story.

I feel that the greatest issue for me was that Estes favored character development over plot in a number of instance
Bara B
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I won’t get into the plot, because it’s been described many times. So, I’ll go straight to the characters.
The women-warriors are beauties.
Alena—a blonde warrior and Baezga, whose family was murdered, are the two Chosen ones. They are described as the women of extraordinary beauty and power. Alena—beautiful, clever, strong, fearless and… a reader. My, my. A warrior that likes to read. Definitely unusual.
Dylan is my favorite male character. Sassy and self-loving, he comes across as an a**hole, y
Donnally Miller
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
The purpose of literature is to show the human character. Sure, we writers can have fun with sparkling epigrams and poetic language, but at the end of the day our purpose “both at the first and now, was and is, to hold as ‘twere the mirror up to nature.” Of all the advice that’s given to writers, the one piece of advice that’s never given is that they should be observant; although that, more than anything else, is what makes a writer. This sermon is meant for me as much as for anyone else, but w ...more
Joshua Landeros
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
At last, the third book in the Sisters of the Storm series is here! Once again, I’m in love with the cover! Absolutely awesome and sums up the feel of the book. This latest installment reunites us with Aleena Kurrin and Baezha Ambrose, the bad-ass women who are as beautiful as they are deadly. This time they face the titular “eighth hell”, the island of Shingora. The land is filled with creatures who want to murder them and a cast of new characters (and a few old), leading to a rip tide of actio ...more
Sandy Schleich
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book had an interesting start. I liked the way people were chosen for this rescue expedition. There were mercenaries from every different craft. I thought it interesting that when Aleena was interviewed she answered all the questions honestly, but even after she got the contract, she still had to prove herself. Her sister, Baezha, went through the same type of questioning, but she was not asked to prove herself. I am sure that this had to do with the conniving weasel that was helping to int ...more
Brenda Davies
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don't usually read fantasy novels and I haven't read the previous two books in this series, but it worked fine as a stand alone and I enjoyed the ride.
An expedition to the dreaded island Shingora was a disaster, the sole survivor went mad from the things he'd seen. So why not send another expedition? This time it consists of 300 warriors, in particular two sisters Aleena and Bazha and they go to rescue any other survivors.
I believe in fantasy fiction the term is world building, where the autho
Anne Monteith
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
While I gave it 4 stars it's actually 3.5. While I still enjoy reading about the sisters and like that each book can be read as a standalone, this one was not as good as the first two.

First off, I was reading an ARC and the formatting was atrocious, however, that did no play into my rating. There was just too much;. all the books have had violence and monsters this one had too much of both. The author has a great imagination when it comes to the horrors he puts into his books, but they don't al
Casey Bartsch
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the third in a series but seems to stand on its own well enough. A compelling fantasy adventure, epic in scope, and filled with strong female characters. Perhaps too strong, as it left their vulnerability a little unbelievable at times. Even so, it was refreshing to read about such magnificent women in fantasy, which is very often (though not always) a man’s game. I look forward to checking out more in the series.
Arisawe Hampton
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Eighth Hell of Shingora is brazenly haunting:

A dark cross-genre that has many notable features that lead to perturbation- in the best way. Dare I say, it’s good to be a woman?! One can be glad that such a world doesn’t exist in reality. But for the existentialist, its schemas bring one into the right level of deviation and wonder.
Lyle Kroeker
Jul 27, 2018
Jess Novel.tea
rated it did not like it
Oct 05, 2019
George Anton
Jun 10, 2020
Lilly
Apr 02, 2020

• Owl Manor: The Dawning (Owl Manor #1)
  • Along Came a Soldier
  • Trust a Few (Haruspex Trilogy #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Tender Days of May (The Belle House #1)
  • The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1)
  • Dreaming Darkly
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • Paper Wife
  • A Darker Shade of Sorcery (The Realmers #1)
  • The Shame Trilogy (Shame, #1-3)
  • Lever Templar (Castellum One #1)
  • Season of Storms (The Witcher, #0.6)
  • Life, Interrupted by Death
  • Wieża Jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #4)
  • The Good Girl
  • Pani Jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #5)
Guy Estes was born in Huntsville, Alabama in 1970 and grew up on his family's ancestral sugar plantation in New Iberia, Louisiana, where he currently resides with his wife and three children. His children are the seventh generation of his family to grow up on the place, which was occupied by Union troops during the Civil War. He has a bachelor's degree in social studies education and a master's de ...more

News & Interviews