Start by marking “The Silver Spike (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
The Silver Spike (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #3.5)

The Silver Spike

(The Chronicles of the Black Company #3.5)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  6,586 Ratings  ·  179 Reviews
...embedded in the trunk of the scion of the godtree, it contains the essence of the maddest of the Ten Who Were Taken...The Dominator. Defeated by the Lady and cast from this world, all that was left of him was a foul trace of lingering evil. But the graveyard that was once the Barrowland contains more secrets than dead. All who would possess the power of the Dominator ar
Mass Market Paperback, 313 pages
Published September 15th 1989 by Tor Fantasy

To ask other readers questions about The Silver Spike, please sign up.
Jana This takes place after the third book but it's a sort of side story as it follows what happens to the guys that did not head south with the rest of…moreThis takes place after the third book but it's a sort of side story as it follows what happens to the guys that did not head south with the rest of the Black Company. So if you want you can skip this and read Shadow games next (which is what I did) but I strongly recommend you read this as well at some point as it wraps up Raven's, Darlings and co.'s story. (less)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Buddy reread with the clueless new mercenary recruits Elena, Maria and Mark over at BB&B. Under the wicked supervision of our Ever-Stalking Black Company Overlord (ESBCO™), of course ☠

Previous rating: 2 stars.
New rating: 2.558694258 stars.

And the mathematical moral of this reread is :

He of the Awesome Plant Name's (HotAPN™) narration: +3 stars
Fido the Super Cute Puppy (FtSCP™) and his best buddy the Ever Pissed Off Wicker Man (EPOWM™): +6 stars
✔ My über cuddly Plain of Fear pets:
Evgeny
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The blurb on the cover says it all: The Black Company has parted ways, and the world may suffer the consequences. This time I have practically nothing to add without giving spoilers. This can be considered to be a side story as the major part of the surviving main characters do not appear here at all.

Quite a few familiar faces appear though and this book gives a nice final closure to the northern tale of the Company. As such it is better read right after book 3 of the main storyline.

One of the
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Silver Spike (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #3.5), Glen Cook
The Black Company is a series of dark fantasy books written by American author Glen Cook. The series combines elements of epic fantasy and dark fantasy as it follows an elite mercenary unit, The Black Company, through roughly forty years of its approximately four-hundred-year history.
Main chronology:
The Books of the North: (The Black Company: May 1984, Shadows Linger: October 1984, The White Rose: April 1985).
The Books of th
Robin (Bridge Four)
description

Why do you break my heart so???

This is a book that after the end you have to take a step back to really appreciate where it ended up. I both hated and loved the end and could definitely see why this book has some very conflicting reviews. Not everyone makes it out alive (this is Grimdark Fantasy what did you expect) and when you care about the characters that is always a hard thing. But I really loved how true to the story Cook stayed and how he made me respect and root for characters even when
Choko
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have been thinking about this and I believe my anger at some of the characters turned my objectivity off and giving this book anything less than 4 stars is just not right... So, I am changing my rating because this is a very good series!!!

*** 4 ***

*** 3.45 ***
A buddy read with BBB buddies:-)

This is a the story of Raven, Case, Darling, Limper, Silent and the monster Killer Dog immediately after the battle conclusion in the North from book 3 in the series. Mr. Cook just couldn't leave that o
Eilonwy

There wasn't no place in the world you could put that silver spike that somebody couldn't get it back from except maybe if you dropped it in the deepest part of the ocean. And that probably wouldn't do the job neither. Some damned fish would probably gulp it down before it sunk ten feet, then the fish would beach itself or get hooked by some goddamned fisherman with a hidden talent for sorcery and a secret lust for conquest. That's the nature of evil talismans.

What happens when the greatest ev
Markus
May 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Buddy read with Athena & Gavin August 27th!

When the Black Company marched south in a quest for its origins, there were those who chose to stay behind in the northern empire. When a gang of petty criminals get their hands on the Silver Spike, holding the essence of the Dominator, all hell breaks loose as all the wizards in the north with the slightest desire for power attempts to get their hands on the spike and the dark magic within it.

The Silver Spike was definitely the weakest book in the
Abdollah zarei
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
حقیقتا گلن کوک نویسنده ی جستور و نترسیه. هیچ وقت از معرفی شخصیت های جدید اعبایی نداره. این جلذ باز هم شخصیت های جدید و پرداختی عالی داشت. از جلد سوم خیلی بیشتر به دلم نشست. باز هم عسل کلاغ و سایلنت دوست داشتنی. اما با گروهی فسوده و به نوعی تاریخ گذشته طرفیم. به جز عسل. کلا گروهان سیاه جزو مجموعه هایی هست که بشدت برام راضی کننده است. همه ی چیزهایی که از یک کتاب حماسی میخام این مجموعه داره.
Caro the L. of the H.
What I learned from this book:
- potatoes grow everywhere, even in the fantasy lands with talking rocks, and it's great! If I won't conquer Avalon (or else) I will know what to do next, at least.
- sign language is so easy to learn, everybody should try it and they should probably teach it at school instead of English. :P
- you can be a simple peasant girl with rather manly looks, but if you've got that "something" men will be happy to die for you, to deal with scary stinky creatures, talking rock
Gavin
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Dominator may be dead but the evil essence of his power lingers on trapped in the Silver Spike. The spike is a rich prize for those that covet such a powerful artifact and it's not to long before it is liberated from its prison, in the young sapling tree God, by an enterprising group of thieves. This book follows the thieves as the try to sell their prize to the highest bidder, and Darling and her White Rose companions as the try to return it to a secure resting place.

Sadly, this was the wor
Milda Page Runner
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Milda by: Evgeny
Supposedly the weakest part of the Books of The South yet I really enjoyed it.
Tells us the story of the group that split up from the Black Company after the events in the Burrowland - Darling, Silent, Raven and Case. The narrator is Case and I really liked his voice. Possibly even more than Croaker's. (don't judge me -.-) He is less educated and his language is simpler, on a plus side he is less romantic and more sarcastic, funny. His humour surprised me and made me laugh out loud in the most in
Layla ✷ Praise the sun ✷
It pains me to say, but while I loved Cook's other books, I can only really recommend the Silver Spike if you absolutely want to know what happens to Raven, the White Rose and Silent after the events of the third book.
The reasons why this was the weakest book in the series for me were that the story was repetitive, the writing lacked the humor of the other books and I found the characters (even those I loved in the first two books, namely Raven) unlikeable.
On to the next.
Eric
"I've been thinking, Case," Raven said as we came down off the knee of the most northerly of those goofy humped hills, headed northeast, chasing that drifting windwhale fragment.

"Brooding is the word I would have picked, old buddy. And you been at it since the day they finally put the Dominator down. Looks like that explosion a while back was the last one."

The fragment was drifting on a course that would intercept ours. A few fires flickered on one end. It was turning end for end slowly but had
Maria Dimitrova
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 2.5

To be honest I spaced out during most of the book. There was too much build up to the final confrontation and I always dislike that. The lack of Croacker is another thing that worked against it. But hey at least there was Raven. Who acted like a love sick moron. *sigh* Why did he turn out this way? He had so much potential. Now I just feel pity for him.

The main story again deals with the Dominator and what utter evil he is and how bad it will be if his spirit is set free. And
Mark
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-reads
Buddy read with my new pals Sarah and Elena, with wisdom and guidance from Evgeny.

The biggest strike against this book is that it is a Black Company novel that doesn’t feature most of the prominent characters from the previous installments in the series. Marketed as a spin-off (technically numbered 3.5 in the series), it nonetheless carries the weight of books like the amazing The White Rose on its shoulders.

Overall, this is not a bad novel. It is a fun read filled with the same adventure, dar
Hosein
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
این کتاب رو برای بار دوم در چندین ماه اخیر خوندم، زمانی که شنیدم بالاخره جلد چهارم رو نشر تندیس چاپ میکنه خوشحال شدم که دوباره فرصتی پیش اومد تا جلد سه و نیم یا همون، سرنیزه نقره ای رو باز هم بخونم:D

این کتاب بر خلاف کتاب های قبلی، از همون صفحات اول ریتم تندی داشت، کاراکتر ها جا به جا میشدن، اتفاق های مختلف می افتاد، جنگ ها و درگیری های زیادی اتفاق می افتادن و همشون به حدی زیبا و با برنامه پیش می رفت که آدم دلش نمیخواست یک دقیقه هم کتاب رو زمین بزاره.

توی این کتاب، گلن کوک کاراکتر اصلی جلد های قبل
Aida
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
خیلی وقت پیش تموم شد ولی گذاشتم دور دوم هم بخونم بعد پایان بزنم.

با توجه به نظرات انتظار داشتم کمی ضعیفتر از باقی جلدها باشه و اندکی هم شک داشتم که لزوم ترجمه اش چقدر زیاده اما الان نظرم کاملا عوض شده. داستان عالی بود، پایان غیرمنتظره بود و مطمئن شدم که حتما این کتاب باید قبل از جلد چهار خونده بشه وگرنه کلا خوندن جلد چهار گیج کننده میشه!
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
2.5 Stars

Mmm. Not The Black Company I have become used to. I did enjoy some of it, but mostly a disappointment for me.
Jack
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth book I’ve read in The Black Company series, and it did not disappoint. Fantastic plot, full of subterfuge and reminiscent of the second book in the series, Shadows Linger. Outstanding characters, pacing, and resolution.

Other reviews show some stark disagreement about the occurrences surrounding the book’s climax.

But first:
SPOILERS FOLLOW!
(view spoiler)
Sina
همونطور که طبق نظرات بقیه انتظار داشتم سطح کتاب یه سر و گردن از بقیه کتابا پایین تر بود.
البته این از ارزش خوندنش چیزی کم نمیکنه .چون وقایعی در این کتاب رخ میدن که عملا صرف نظر کردن از اونا به داستان لطمه وارد میکنه.
ایندفعه گلن کوک روند صعودی تعداد راوی ها رو حفظ کرد.و همچنین کوتاه تر شدن فصل ها.بعضی جاها انقد سریع دوربین رو میچرخوند رو یه پلان دیگه که به ادم وقت نمیداد صحنه قبلی خوب تو ذهنش نقش ببنده. و همچنین یک شتابزدگی خاصی تو متن دیده میشد مخصوصا تو پایان بندیش.
وای از ذهن مریض و خیال پرداز گ
Benjamin Thomas
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-dark
This is sort of a side story in the Black Company Chronicles, departing from the larger story line that has been occurring thus far. Goodreads has it listed as number 3.5 which tends to imply a short story or novella that has been tacked on afterwards to fill in a blank area or cash in on the success of the series. But this is a full-length novel and is simply a story of events that are occurring separately from the main plot line.

Like most Black Company novels, there are several points-of-view
Athena Shardbearer

Hmmm..I didn't love it. This has to be the weakest of the entire series. I went in wanting answers from Raven and didn't get them...or at least the ones I wanted. Darling wasn't that interesting and I just wanted to get this book over with. I hope the next in the series is good. I miss Croaker, The Lady, One-Eye and Goblin! I want them back!!!
Nate
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Even though this is probably one of the lesser lights in the Black Company saga, Cook is a gifted enough writer to always keep me enjoying the story. In a genre that tends often tends to the stale he really is a unique voice writing unique stories. The Silver Spike starts right after the momentous events of The White Rose, hanging around the same area with some of the same characters while the actual Black Company heads south and thusly out of this book. I can guarantee that every fan of the Com ...more
Christopher
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bogdan
This was quite the disappointment because the whole story feels recycled and made in the mirror of the last one.

Eventually I found out that this is the number 3.5 in the reading order and it wasn`t so needy to read this at all.

Oh, well, it really feels that the book was made at the pression of the publisher to get something on the market, anything at all.

The writing it`s in the same tone, nicely done, but withouth the black humor and with the repetitive story all that`s good here feels quite rui
Robin Wiley
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"I told myself it had been an exiting past year and now it was time to die."
- Case

For Book Six, we return to the Barrowlands (from Book Three), where evil just won't stay buried. After parting ways with Croaker and Company at the end of that book, Darling and company now have to return to wipe up the mess.

I started off pouting and protesting. In Book Five, we had just left Lady and Company back in the south, not necessarily on a cliff hanger, but certainly with a fat ton of unfinished business.
Skaistė
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skaitėsi gana lengvai ir buvo įdomu. Kiekviena iš skaitytų serijos knygų truputį skiriasi istorijos pasakojimo būdu. Šioje buvo netikėta, kad nebėra įprasto pasakotojo, o atsiranda naujas. Iš dalies buvo gaila, kad trūksta tokio pasakojimo apie įvykius, prie kokio buvau pripratusi. Tačiau naujas pasakotojas atskleidė kiek kitokį požiūrį, o be to, jo pasakojama istorija buvo smagi, šmaikšti, leido geriau pažinti patį veikėją, jo mintis, įvairius pastebėjimus, kurie ne kartą prajuokino, o ir kelio ...more
Kevin Findley
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: glen-cook, fantasy
I know that a lot of fans of this series really hate this book and some even try to ignore it. To me, it wrapped up the tale perfectly of a character I always thought was a hanger-on to the Black Company; Raven.

Yes, he saved darn near everyone at some point in the first story arc, but every task could have been handled by members of the Company itself. I won't say I'm glad he's dead, but I won't miss him.

Despite all that, this was a fitting entry into the Black Company's world and any fan of t
Andreas
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013, fantasy, reviewed
This series definitively has got a starting problem in each book. The previous books needed 50 pages each to draw me in and made that up quite good.
It is different with this one, where I even started skipping pages after 100 pages - which I normally wouldn't do - the story was plain boring at times and I didn't have the feeling that I missed anything by skipping a few pages here and there.

Once again, Cook flips from sending his characters 1000s of miles from here to there every couple of pages.
Sadra Khalaf
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
For a book that was supposed to serve as a spin off, it was good although a bit less than the North trilogy.
The absence of the croaker as a central figure of the previous books was visible enough.
The booked used a similar style of different point of views and was easy to read.
Sadly some of the known characters said goodbye to the series.
Definitely gonna continue the series.
  • Midnight Tides (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #5)
  • Blood and Bone (Novels of the Malazan Empire #5)
  • Blade of Tyshalle (The Acts of Caine, #2)
  • The White Luck Warrior (Aspect-Emperor, #2)
  • When True Night Falls (The Coldfire Trilogy, #2)
  • Issola (Vlad Taltos, #9)
  • The Iron Wars (The Monarchies of God, #3)
Glen Cook was born in New York City, lived in southern Indiana as a small child, then grew up in Northern California. After high school he served in the U.S. Navy and attended the University of Missouri. He worked for General Motors for 33 years, retiring some years ago. He started writing short stories in 7th grade, had several published in a high school literary magazine. He began writing with m ...more

The Chronicles of the Black Company (10 books)
  • The Black Company (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #1)
  • Shadows Linger (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #2)
  • The White Rose (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #3)
  • Shadow Games (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #4)
  • Dreams of Steel (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #5)
  • Bleak Seasons (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #6)
  • She is the Darkness (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #7)
  • Water Sleeps (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #8)
  • Soldiers Live (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #9)
  • A Pitiless Rain (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #10)
“I was never really a girl, or a woman, or a human being to Raven, Case. Even though he did awful things for me. I was a symbol, an expiation, and when I insisted on becoming a person he did the only thing he could do to keep on serving the symbol and not have to deal with a flesh-and-blood woman.” 5 likes
“A guy I worked with and I talked it over about what you do with drunks. His dad was a reformed drunk. He told me you got to stop trying to help them out. You got to stop making excuses for them and not take excuses from them. You got to put them on a spot where they can’t do nothing but face the truth because they aren’t going to change a bit till they decide to do it. They got to be the ones who believe they’ve turned into dregs and something has got to be changed.” 2 likes