Start by marking “On the Edge of Daylight: A Novel of the Titanic” as Want to Read:
On the Edge of Daylight: A Novel of the Titanic

On the Edge of Daylight: A Novel of the Titanic

Esther Bailey is Titanic’s newest recruit and one of the first female officers of her time. Although she’s braced herself for the duties ahead, she never expected to clash with her own mentor, First Officer Murdoch.

His cool dismissal of her only turns colder as they bicker throughout their forced partnership, with Esther’s short temper challenging his own. But as Esther be
Paperback, First Edition, 472 pages
Published April 18th 2018

To ask other readers questions about On the Edge of Daylight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Edge of Daylight

Start your review of On the Edge of Daylight: A Novel of the Titanic
Kelly  The Sassy Book Lover
I've never had a book touch my heart and soul like this. I was in tears for the last few chapters because I knew what was coming. Giselle has the talent of making it all come to life in such detail that it's like you are there. I couldn't put it down and it's one that you read slowly holding onto every detail. They had a love that everyone dreams of even when they were battling each other. I loved that others wanted them together if it meant he was happy. I normally don't talk about the love sce ...more
Joann
Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. You lose big if you download this free Kindle. I thought it sounded so promising - a young Esther Bailey the first female office on a cruise ship. Well, the writing had you in some downright silly stereotypes and downright silliness. And don't get me started on the foul words and sex parts. Let this book sink along with the ship!!!
Rachel Heil
I actually first read this story when the author had published it on a website for fanfiction. Initially, I was hesitant. I'm not a huge fan of fanfiction as I often find it to go over the top and the stories aren't very well developed. However, this one proved me wrong. The story itself follows more of the story of the movie Titanic that the actual sinking itself, though, as someone who has studied Titanic for a long time, it is mostly accurate to what actually happens. There are times in the b ...more
Winona Cross
Titanic novels are a favorite

I began this novel with great anticipation at the unique storyline involving a female officer, Esther Bailey, and a relationship with a true Titanic officer, Will Murdoch.

On the Edge of Daylight is a good read, however the author's use of the exact dialogue and scenes from the movie, Titanic, was distracting. She could have used dialogue written from her imagination rather than that from the movie.

I did read the entire book. It was good, but distracting as I previou
PennsyLady (Bev)
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
On the Edge of Daylight: A Novel of the Titanic by Giselle Beaumont

I need to begin by mentioning the fact that I did not see the movie Titanic.

Therefore I can't say the novel "borrowed " from the film.
The author did supply an initial list of characters, an afterward
to her narrative, artwork, Titanic diagrams, timelines etc.
The historical notes explained the "creative liberty" the author exercised.
Some characters were fabricated, including our main female character (Esther Bailey, seventh officer
Ashlee
Dec 21, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"On the Edge of Daylight" is a novel that left a bad taste in my mouth. Once posted on FanFiction.net as fanfiction of the 1997 movie "Titanic," the published version does little to disguise it from what it really is: fanfiction. From using dialogue and scenes taken directly from the movie to using the very obvious likeness of Ewan Stewart - the actor who played Will Murdoch in the film - on the cover, it is extremely difficult to separate this book from the movie.

Callum Lockerbie is a very ill-
Toni Vincett
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG what can I say about this book. I completely fell in love with the characters and it’s the 1st book that has made me cry for sure. I shall be reading this book again in the future
Lawrence Duma
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little too familiar

While I enjoyed this book, I couldn't help but read certain parts of the book - especially the sinking -and thinking how much it closely resembled the sinking in the 1997 film.
Danielle Carpenter
The book cover is a cartoon, but then this romance starts off like a cartoon. I enjoyed the historical facts about the Titanic and the afterward on the crew of the Titanic. Bailey and Will's relationship was explosive and at times I felt like I was in a dog fight. The fictional parts of this book is the romance and a woman officer aboard the Titanic. Otherwise, the book is well written and the story is enjoyable.
Daniella
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
An exciting story, I really enjoyed this romance. Esther and Will are nice characters, and the plot is a sweet slow-burn. I like Esther in particular. I was never fully submitted however. This is a voluntary review of an advance reader copy.
Pat
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was wonderfully written and the characters were so well detailed that I couldn't put this book down until I finished reading the very last page!
Septima Severa
It's almost unbelievable that something - what started as a simple listing through fanfiction one bored day - ended in actual printed story. I have read the story on fanfic page already twice before news about it coming as a book reached me, and I'm glad for it.
One could argue that a crowd about heroines added to Cameron's story about Titanic already exists there and that nothing is worth anything more than zeroes and ones on some almost-forgotten site. Well, I must oppose. Beaumont's writing ha
Sonia Phillips
This book was truly excellent. The characters are complex and beautifully written, and the author makes them come alive with their distinctive voices and personalities. Esther was one of my favorite characters. She's strong, fiercely loyal, and determined to prove herself--but she also has her flaws, which I love. Her temper is ferocious. She's reckless and stubborn. But she's very strong-willed, she learns from her mistakes, and she will never give up.

Esther's growth (and Will's) over the cours
Paloma, the Countess of Bookton
Being a story that takes places in Titanic, I knew what to expect. I loved knowing the story from the crew’s point of view. Although I knew Esther was a fictional character, I didn’t knew of Murdoch’s fate so the whole time I was guessing what was going to happen.

The relationship between William and Esther was so unique, the enemies to lovers troupe, the tension between them. Even though their relationship blossomed in three or four days, the author really captured their feelings. I was rooting
r. chloe
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this story in its fanfiction.net days and really enjoyed the relationship development and characterization. It's a long book but I never found parts where it dragged or got boring, and it felt historically realistic. I was surprised to see it in print (I'm assuming self-published) because I do remember bits of it (not enough to be distracting, but still) pulled from the movie. I take off a star for that as far as this being salable now. I'm not sure if the author edited out the movie allu ...more
Molly
Mar 28, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF. I really wanted to like this book but the explicit sexual content goes against everything I've been taught. I was hoping this would be a tasteful romance like others I've read but it was disappointingly not. Taking God's holy name in vain multiple times was severely unnecessary too.
Martin
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wunderbare Geschichte.
Einfach nur wunderschön!
Linda
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Good story about woman officer on the Titanic and all the disrespect she encountered. Love interest was more than I needed to keep the story flowing.
Andria Potter
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice retelling though that ending was NOT what I hoped for. Further review to come!
Mary Ellen doValle
Mar 10, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Heart of Disaster: A Titanic Novel of love and loss
  • Seven Days in May
  • Guinea Dog (Guinea Dog, #1)
  • Adventures of a Slime: An Unofficial Minecraft Diary
  • 142 Ostriches
  • Women & Children First
  • Real Pigeons Fight Crime
  • World's Worst Wedgie (George Brown, Class Clown, #3)
  • 100 Cupboards  (100 Cupboards, #1)
  • L.A. Candy (L.A. Candy, #1)
  • Leave Me Breathless
  • Dragonfly
  • The Bookshop of the Broken Hearted
  • A Bend in the Stars
  • The Lieutenant's Nurse
  • Stink: Hamlet and Cheese
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
  • The Madman’s Daughter (The Madman’s Daughter, #1)