Start by marking “Red Iron Nights (Garrett Files, #6)” as Want to Read:
Red Iron Nights (Garrett Files, #6)

Red Iron Nights

(Garrett Files #6)

Blood soaked blades had been taking their toll among the luscious lovelies in Garrett's home city of TunFaire. And though Garrett could be as civic-minded as the next guy - unless the next guy was Captain Block of the Watch - the private eye wasn't sure he really wanted to take on a serial killer psycho who did too good a carving job and never left any of the blood behind. ...more
Published September 1st 1991 by Roc (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Red Iron Nights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Iron Nights

Start your review of Red Iron Nights (Garrett Files, #6)
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016

When I shoved through the doorway of Morley's 'Joy House' you'd have thought I was the old dude in black who lugs the sickle. The place went dead quiet. I stopped moving. I couldn't push uphill against the weight of all those stares. "Somebody sneak lemons into your salads?"
"Aw, damn! It's Garret." That was my pal Puddle, safe behind the bar. "Here we go again, troops."

Cue in David Coverdale and his wicked solo on the Whitesnake album ... Garret is on the prowl again! investigating the vegetar
Joshua Simon
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
4.5/5 stars

At this point, it’s hard for me to say any more about the Garrett P.I. series than what I haven’t said alread. Good characters. Great dialogue. Fun and fast read. If you aren’t reading this series, then I feel sorry for you. My only quip on this book in particular was that I felt things got a bit repetitive in spots and could have ended sooner. Otherwise, a good addition to the series.
Dan Schwent
Jun 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
A serial killer driven by an ancient curse is on the loose in TunFaire and it's up to Garrett to stop him. Meanwhile, Chodo is a vegetable after the events of the previous volume and Crask and Sadler are set on putting Garrett in the ground.

The tension level in this one was pretty high, especially for a book of this type. While I knew Garrett would win out in the end, I didn't know how many more victims would be killed before then.

I'm pleased that the Garrett books are getting better instead of
Michael Hall
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think I've been reading too many of the Garret Files books at one time... they are all fun, fast reads with likable and memorable characters, as well as having excellent dialogue. In this one Garrett must find a serial killer who targets a select group of women. The tension level is a bit higher than usual despite knowing that Garrett would wrap things up in the end -- with a little more help than usual from his partner the Dead Man. Glen Cook has improved his writing style throughout this ser ...more
Trish
This one seemed to read better than the previous installment.
Bogdan Capitanoiu
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Does it needs a review?
No.. it's just another Garrett story..as entertaining and enjoyable as the previous ones...

Any elements that u liked especially?
1 of the most cliche super-detective stories gets twisted in a visual&graphical way

Anything else you want to say?
I guess Cook, found the secret of story perennial/eternal telling, focus on a character, but do not challenge him with a archenemy or a as smart counterpart.
Just let your guy be; let him try to his hardest to do his job/play his role...
Ben Truong
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Red Iron Nights is the sixth book in the Garrett P.I. series written by Glen Cook and centered on the adventures of private investigator Garrett.

Garrett is relaxing at the Joy House with Saucerhead and Morley Dotes, when Belinda Contague, daughter of Kingpin Chodo Contague, stumbles into the bar. She is attacked by a wizened old man who spits butterflies from his mouth and tries to kidnap Belinda in his black stagecoach. As strange as this is, Garrett moves on to his next job, tailing a religiou
Genna
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh! Hey! This was fun to read!

I have reservations, of course. I'm tired of the Heinlein-y presentation of women. It would've been nice if any of the female characters existed for something other than the main character to lust after or be murdered.

It was still fun to read. I will probably read more.

Also, where do we start a petition with publishers that IF THEY ARE PUBLISHING A SERIES THEY WRITE THE NUMBER OF THE BOOK ON THE SPINE? Like, seriously, how hard would it be to put a #6 on the spine o
Pye Josephus Joestar
May 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fantasy, Mystery, Noir fans
definetly my least favourite out of the books so far, I found it very hard to stay captivated throughout as the book was slow to start and then kept (what felt like) taking breaks from the case on hand. However I did like that the Dead Man played a larger role in this book. I was weirdly fascinated with Belinda's character as well, don't know why, I just was. The Curse was also interesting and is what initially got me more involved in the book when you are first introduced to it. The last 5 or 1 ...more
Candy
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This series, which is sort of Nero Wolfe & Archie Goodwin in Middle Earth, is delightfully entertaining and seems to be getting better and better. It's a fun blend of crime and fantasy and it makes for a great summer read! ...more
Nighteye
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting, blooddrenching, cursefilled book. One of the joys in here is to follow the changing of the cities diffirent mobs and extension of Garret's world. Also the new ideas and themes he meet and new races. As well as glory mooncalled of couse and the news about the war now and than.
Tyrel
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I love the series, but this one moved a little slow
Gio C
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another Great installment. Not one of my favorites but it was still great. So many good characters and I like the way things around the town are shaping up. I look forward to the next one
Peter
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoy the Dead Man and Dean. Garrett's always entertaining and this story is one of Cook's better yarns. A curse involving electric green eyes and vomiting butterflies, watch out.
Michael Brumbaugh
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good Garrett book. Introduces Belinda

Book location: Gave away after reading
Richard
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
My 6th venture into the world of Garrett PI, an average detective in a fantasy world. My pet hate still rises in this book, which is that it doesn't really explore any more of the world than the city that almost all the series books appear to be set in. If one of your selling points is a fantasy world, then expand on it, have Garret take cases out of Tunfaire and explore some of the world for us.

Other than that I found myself fairly pleased with this book, the case Garrett gets is both eerie and
Mei
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Again, this didn't match up to my expectations after having read Old Tin Sorrows, which was probably one of my favourites in the series so far. This time there was less about Garrett, or The Dead Man, or Dean, or Morley, or Saucerhead, but many more new characters, a cast of thousands, almost, who were less endearing. So to me this was a little scatty, and not as well put together, as the other books (or redheads, for that matter). ...more
Brandt
Jun 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Either i've changed, or there is just a limit to how much Garrett one person can take..

Garrett goes on, being Garrett as we know him.

Conquering the ladies, bitching about the help, drinking beer like it was water, moralizing and feeling superior, while not really providing anything all-that endearing in terms of personality himself..

He never learns, grows, gets ambitious, or anything.

All he cares about is conquering the women who needs his help, and when that is accomplished, he is done with
Stephen
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 *s

Much more of a detective story in the traditional sense while still maintaining the fantasy world of TunFaire.

Some fantastic passages that just beg to be marked as quotes. Garrett is developing brilliantly as a character and his own special brand of sarcasm is right along with him :)

OK, it's not as deep as anything by Michael Connelly or Karen Rose but you won't be disappointed if you read this nice easy story.
Nicole
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Accidentally read this one before #5 so I don't know if I enjoyed it as much as I could have.

Convoluted, jumpy story with maybe a little bit more fantasy mixed in than some of the rest. Pretty girls with long legs who can't wait to get the main character into bed. A protagonist that's not that bright, sexist, racist (mostly against imaginary races), contradictory.

In short, an easy read and same as the rest.
Nathan
Jan 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
I actually read this book as part of an omnibus, but wanted to review it as a separate book.

I _like_ the Garret Files, and this book is no exception. It's full of the same first-person witty banter and narrative that I've come to expect from the series, and continues with the quality storytelling that you can expect from Glen Cook.

Definitely a fun, fast read.
Жанна Пояркова
It seems that Cook wanted to add fire into his noir-fantasy saga but serial murder investigation was incredibly boring. Butterfly damnation - good start but nothing in the end. No surprises, no strong female characters (but a lot of women), no improving of hero's character - same life, same problems. Ye, that is what Garret files are - but I'm too old for this shit.
Chetta
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another fast read with Garrett, PI, doing what he does best...putting himself in the middle of things to see what happens. Curses, serial killers, butterflies, and brunettes, instead of redheads and Garrett in the middle.
Ian
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Garrett PI Files are just a pure pleasure. Noir Fantasy in a Tolkienesque universe with the cases set against social upheaval and a war in the background. This one has a cursed serial killer and Garrett's usual cynical narrative.
Just totally enjoyable and an easy entertaining read.
Garrett Davis
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
THE GARRETT FILES?!?!?! SOO COOL!!!!
Sep 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: garrett-files
Film noir + Fantasy = The Garret Files
Mars
Feb 10, 2012 rated it liked it

It still has its moments, but the story somehow fails to engage - I was rather bored through much of the first half, although it picks up a bit afterwards.
David
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it
More fun times with Garrett, PI.
Alan
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: box-6
Interesting for a while, but in the end, so little happens as make a short book drag on to an welcome conclusion
Bob Schumaker
I enjoyed this entire series immensely. I grab the next one as soon as I see it!

• Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3)
  • Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)
  • Myth-ing Persons (Myth Adventures, #5)
  • Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4)
  • Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #6)
  • Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1)
  • Something M.Y.T.H. Inc. (Myth Adventures, #12)
  • Bright Steel (Masters & Mages, #3)
  • Myth-Nomers and Im-Pervections (Myth Adventures, #8)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. Link (Myth Adventures, #7)
  • The Thief Who Wasn't There (Amra Thetys, #4)
  • The Thief Who Went To War (Amra Thetys, #5)
  • The Thief Who Knocked on Sorrow's Gate (Amra Thetys, #3)
  • Captain Vorpatril's Alliance (Vorkosigan Saga, #15)
  • Auberon (The Expanse, #8.5)
  • Sauerkraut Station
  • Cold Iron (Masters & Mages, #1)
  • So Worthy My Love
Glen Cook was born in New York City, lived in southern Indiana as a small child, then grew up in Northern California. After high school he served in the U.S. Navy and attended the University of Missouri. He worked for General Motors for 33 years, retiring some years ago. He started writing short stories in 7th grade, had several published in a high school literary magazine. He began writing with m ...more

Garrett Files (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Sweet Silver Blues (Garrett P.I., #1)
  • Bitter Gold Hearts (Garrett P.I., #2)
  • Cold Copper Tears (Garrett P.I., #3)
  • Old Tin Sorrows (Garrett Files, #4)
  • Dread Brass Shadows (Garrett Files, #5)
  • Deadly Quicksilver Lies (Garrett Files, #7)
  • Petty Pewter Gods (Garrett P.I., #8)
  • Faded Steel Heat (Garrett P.I., #9)
  • Angry Lead Skies (Garrett P.I., #10)
  • Whispering Nickel Idols (Garrett P.I., #11)