Start by marking “An Ill Fate Marshalling (Dread Empire, #7)” as Want to Read:
An Ill Fate Marshalling (Dread Empire, #7)

An Ill Fate Marshalling (Last Chronicle of the Dread Empire #2)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  449 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Rejecting the advice of the wizard Varthlokkur and spymaster Michael Trebilcock, King Bragi Ragnorson of Kavelin joins Chatelain Mist's coup against the Dread Empire. Ragnorson dangles the fate of his nation in the jaws of his foes, refusing to see that his one true enemy may be himself.
Published January 15th 1988 by Tor Books (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about An Ill Fate Marshalling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Ill Fate Marshalling

Evgeny
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The small kingdom of Kavelin barely survived being completely slaughtered by the Dread Empire with its magic, but the price for victory might be just too high. A lot of good leaders who supported the King are dead; the new people have to replace them, some of them are not ready, some have hidden agendas. Speaking of which, now that the external thread is eliminated the internal one rises its ugly head from several different directions. The King, while being an excellent general is not ready to f ...more
Joseph
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Things fall apart; the center cannot hold. This book moves the focus of the Dread Empire series from the war in the far east (as recounted in Reap the East Wind) back to the more familiar countries of the west. Chronologically, this book begins before the events of East Wind and ends after them; the events of the other book mostly happen offstage, although in some cases we see them from a different point of view.

Again, a full recommended daily allowance of intrigue, betrayal and marching armies.
Newton Nitro
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
An Ill Fate Marshalling (Dread Empire #7) - Glen Cook | A queda de um rei! | NITROLEITURAS #fantasia #fantasiasombria #horror

Segundo volume da trilogia final da saga Dread Empire, que narra a tragédia do Rei Bragi Ragnorson!

An Ill Fate Marshalling (Dread Empire #7) - Glen Cook | 1985, 313 páginas, Tor Books | NITROLEITURAS | Lido de 06.02.18 a 10.02.18

SINOPSE

Rejeitando o conselho do mago Varthlokkur e do espião Michael Trebilcock, o rei Bragi Ragnorson de Kavelin junta-se ao golpe de estado plan
Luke Coury
Jul 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, glen-cook
Really not a bad book, but I was not up for a re-reading of the Reap the East Wind. I was bored through a lot of the book simply because half of it was retelling the previous book from a different view. I'm glad he did write the book because it filled some holes from the previous book that left me wandering "what the heck" and reading a confrontation from both Bragi and Varthlokkur at different times was certainly entertaining at times.

SPOILER: The meat of this book lies toward the end of it wh
Kelly
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
The plot moved, no doubt. The story was EXCELLENT. The characters were a little flat - but the reader should by now know that the characters dont have a lot of depth. Some change a bit, but really its the epic story that carries this part of the dread empire series (really the last three books). Bragi has really lost control in this part of the saga... well, it seems like many of the characters have made bonds they dont understand and loyalties no one comprehends. The political struggles of the ...more
Theresa
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book on Goodreads/First reads

I should start by saying that this is the first book I've read in the Dread Series so I wasn't familiar with the characters when I started.

This novel has it all in there. There is intrigue, action, suspense, politics, Royalty, Royal armies, spies and wizards. I enjoyed this book for all those reasons. There are alot of twists and turns to the story and I found myself trying to figure out who was spying on who and who was lying to who.

King Ragnorson is not
Joshua Simon

Great book, and a big improvement over Reap the East Wind Blows. Although the focus was heavily slanted toward the politics of the kingdom, I thought it was handled very well. Great characters with lots of twists and turns.

I did have a couple of minor complaints. One, I thought Bragi started to turn into Croaker at times based on dialogue and overall personality. Two, too much stuff happened "off-camera." Another 100 pages or so really could have made the book even better by showing mo
Mitchell
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was much better than its predecessor, as the Kingdom of Kavelin and its leaders faced greater danger which led to more suspense. Things go so right for so much of the book that you can tell the "Ill Fate" is going be awful. The previous entry, Reap the East Wind, can be seen to setup or foreshadow the events and conflicts occurring in Ill Fate, so perhaps having to do that meant it wouldn't pay off until later. A few small elements which added to the enjoyment were the sport of Capture ...more
Charles
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I am a big fan of Glen Cook's work and always look forward to his books. Unfortunately, I just didn't care for this one at all. Maybe it was me in the wrong kind of mood or something, but the book seemed to be pretty much all about kingdom politics from beginning to end. There were virtually no action scenes, except one toward the end, but even that was given short shrift in the story.

The prose was fine and the characters were well drawn. They just didn't seem to do much of anything except intri
Brandon
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book that started by paralleling the events from the previous book then moving past. I'm glad I'm reading this book now rather than when the third book in the series was stolen and not finished for 20 years.
Justin
Jul 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Begins at the same time as Reap the East Wind, but focuses mostly on Bragi's perspective of events, plus lots of Michael Trebilcock. Decent.
Troy Brumfield
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, Great series. This is not your usual "Happily ever after", the plot twist & turns and
the characters all have human flaws. This book may be a little "dark" for some readers,however I
highly recommend it.
Andre
Nov 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The dread empire world/story continues. It has the Cook characters and focuses on the politic more and less on the action that the previous ones. I was not as hooked from the start as with some of his other novels but ended up devouring it by the end.
Macha
Nov 16, 2014
Mord McGhee
Apr 06, 2014
  • I Am a Barbarian
  • The Lost Prince (The Dark Border, #1)
  • The Wurms of Blearmouth (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #5)
  • Leviathan (Lost Civilization, #2)
  • The Doomfarers of Coramonde (Coramonde, #1)
  • Bard
  • Hellboy: The Lost Army
  • The Old Ways (The Paladins, #3)
  • Bran Mak Morn: The Last King
  • Steel and Sorrow (Blood and Tears, #2)
  • A Vintage From Atlantis
  • The Dragon Lord
  • Путь меча (Кабирский цикл, #1)
  • The Complete Pegāna: All the Tales Pertaining to the Fabulous Realm of Pegāna
  • Hadon of Ancient Opar
  • Shotguns v. Cthulhu
  • Costume Not Included
  • Rumpole and the Golden Thread
Glen Cook was born in New York City, lived in southern Indiana as a small child, then grew up in Northern California. After high school he served in the U.S. Navy and attended the University of Missouri. He worked for General Motors for 33 years, retiring some years ago. He started writing short stories in 7th grade, had several published in a high school literary magazine. He began writing with m ...more
More about Glen Cook

Last Chronicle of the Dread Empire (3 books)
  • Reap the East Wind (Dread Empire, #6)
  • A Path to Coldness of Heart (Dread Empire, #8)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Lathe of Heaven
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    $9.99 $1.99
  • King of Thieves
  • Area 51 (Area 51, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Mission (Area 51, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mongoliad (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 1)
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Perfection (Finding Paradise #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
  • After On: A Novel of Silicon Valley
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Sphinx (Area 51, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rewinder (Rewinder Series Book 1)
  • Master of Formalities
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Grail (Area 51, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Excalibur (Area 51, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Into the Black (Odyssey One, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Devotion (Finding Paradise, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Dystopia Chronicles (Atopia, #2)
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
  • Once Was a Time
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • The Bird Eater