Start by marking “Suicide Club” as Want to Read:
Suicide Club

Suicide Club

What are you doing to help yourself? What are you doing to show that you're worth the resources?

In a near-future world, medical technology has progressed far enough that immortality is now within grasp - but only to those who show themselves to be deserving of it. These people are the lifers: the exercisers, yogacisers, green juicers and early nighters.

Genetically perfect,
Published July 10th 2018 by Sceptre

Navidad Thélamour
Everything started going wrong after the Second Wave…They’d had the lifespan tests and predictive treatments for decades…but this was something different. The Second Wave, it was dubbed, when a whole raft of new Medtech measures were approved for mass distribution: first-generation SmartBloodTM, an early prototype of what would later become DiamondSkinTM, the first truly functional replacements. And with the new technologies, a whole host of new Directives, aimed at keeping the Ministry’s bigges ...more
Hannah
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, dystopia
This book has such a brilliant premise: in this future, immortality is within grasp, but only for those 'deserving' and as such suicide is illegal, anything that might be construed as bad for your health is illegal in fact. I found this idea of preservation of life being the most important thing even before individual happiness and fulfillment so very very brilliant. But I struggled with the execution to no end.

I did think that the world Rachel Heng has created here is interesting and developed
Vani
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
Do you ever read a book or watch a movie and know in your heart that it is not good, but you can't help but enjoy it? I'm looking at you, Tokyo Drift. This is the exact opposite of that for me. I know this is good. But I don't know that I really enjoyed reading it. Definitely not until the last half, anyway. And if I don't like the first half of a book, it's really hard for the second half to catch up enough that I'm really going to appreciate it.

The good:
*I LIKE this kind of dystopian. Clean, p
Rachel
Suicide Club is a book full of brilliant concepts that never develop into a convincing or engaging narrative. It's a speculative novel set in a near-future New York society in which death is illegal and the pursuit of immortality is all-consuming. 100-year-old Lea Kirino is a model citizen; she has a high-level job on the New York exchange, which now deals in trading human organs, she has a genetically beautiful fiancé, and she's being considered for a promotion. But things change for Lea when s ...more
Lou
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you could live forever . . . would you?

Oh man! This premise is such a fascinating one and makes an incredible story. It also raises some provocative questions about the human race, life, death and immortality. I always love it when an author is clever and creative enough to incorporate deeper topics into the narrative. I appreciate that sort of storyline - the ones that allow the exploration of big questions. I salute you for this brilliance, Ms Heng!

"Suicide Club" is a science fiction novel
Tori (InToriLex)

Content Warning: Animal Death, Violence, Graphic Internal  Body Descriptions

Living forever in a future society that helps restore your body sounds like a utopia. But in this future world people have to meet certain standards to be given the treatments they need to love forever. This book builds character development flawlessly. I was rooting for the main character Lea despite some of her very unlikable traits. Lea is a lifer who at the age of 100 is trying to extend her life and hopefully be
Karla Strand
See my complete review on my site.

Would you want to live forever?

In her debut novel Suicide Club, Rachel Heng reaffirms the notion of “be careful what you wish for” and challenges her readers to reflect upon the price they would pay for immortality.

We live in a world where the quest for long life is a multimillion dollar industry. In Heng’s near future setting, people live for hundreds of years. But at what cost?

In this engaging story, Lea Kirino is a successful woman with the potential to live
Janelle • She Reads with Cats
Many thanks to Henry Holt Books for providing my free copy! I’m going to say right up front that I thoroughly enjoyed this debut novel. It is a slow burn with an original premise and lovely writing. In a world where we all strive to look younger and more beautiful, this book almost mocks that but in a very intelligent way.

Lea Kirino is considered a lifer, which means she can potentially live forever. She works in a career in which she helps her clients in the organ trade business through the New
da AL
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fitness as morality, aging, dying, beauty -- Heng raises a host of great topics. But why, whenever old people are depicted in fiction, they usually represent merely death, lost chances, regret, and a younger character's sentimentality? And hmmm... is it just me or are younger writers freer with wanting to 'help along' oldsters through those pearly gates when life extension and immortality are discussed? Caveat: not advisable for animal lovers and the squeamish.
Dianne
Of course we all want to live as long as we can, being as healthy as we can and able to enjoy our time on Earth. What if science and medicine in the future could extend your life for hundreds of years? Would it be worth losing your soul, your privacy and your individuality in the quest to live longer? Are you really living if “defective” body parts can be replaced, you need constant “tweaking” and even the thought of breaking a sweat could be “damaging?”

What if you decided you wanted to end you
Faith (BookSelf ~ You Are What You Read)
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of The Uglies and Scythe but don't get your hopes up

I received this ARC from Henry Holt and Company in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of this book in any way.

I don't know if I really like this book or not. I definitely don't hate it, but I can't say I particularly liked it. Let's discuss.

Obligatory Summary

Lea Kirino is a high society lifer on the path to immortality and success when a ghost from her past in the form of her long lost father shows up and ruins her chances. He disappeared 80 years ago when she was a
Monnie
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Brave New World." "Soylent Green." "Thelma and Louise." All of these - and a couple more classics - popped into my head as I read this mesmerizing debut novel. More to the point, if I were given the chance to live for hundreds of years - most of them sans anything I now consider fun to do, eat or wear - would I want it? Now that I've finished this book, I'm still not totally sure, but I've sure got plenty of considerations to factor into my decision (and a doggone good story to illustrate them) ...more
Blair
Imagine a future in which death is close to being eradicated. At birth, everyone is allocated a number which determines whether or not they will be a ‘lifer’, a person who will live for hundreds of years with the aid of surgical enhancements and advanced biological technology. Those with a natural lifespan – ‘sub-100s’ – are effectively an underclass, relegated to the outer boroughs of this world’s cities. There are whispers that new developments will soon make immortality possible, with the mos ...more
Melanie Garrett
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#SuicideClub is a gripping debut for fans of Margaret Atwood, Emily St John Mandel & George Saunders.

If you like your near-future dystopias compelling and poignant, with clear philosophical underpinnings which question the way we live now, then get ready to join the Suicide Club. A tale of two loving daughters coming to terms with their parents’ mortality - or lack thereof.

The action unfolds in a New York City that is still recognisable (nary a jet pack or flying car in sight) but where th
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
RTC to come!

3.5 stars, rounded up on goodreads just because I liked the last chapter

- like black mirror but not as provoking and inquisitive as I’d hoped for a book that essentially deals with issues akin to euthanasia and artificially lengthened lifespans? Lots of potential, but the delivery was a little lacking
MissBecka
Interesting concept; didn't really work for me.
There were a lot of unanswered questions in the plot and the characters were underdeveloped. It all felt very unfinished.
(view spoiler)
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Unfortunately didn't finish- although reading up to 77%

The start was perfect. Over a hundred years old and a dedicated lifer, Lea has an accident after seeing her longtime lost dad- and she cannot tell anyone about this. Because her dad is kind of a criminal. So the authorities think she was trying to kill herself by throwing herself under a car. And then she has to get inspected.

Then there is Anja, her once famous opera singer mum is hundred years old and bound to machines, and she's trapped in
Liz Barnsley
Jul 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 56%. Brilliant premise but just couldn't engage at all. It started off well but then descended into a rather humdrum tale of two women. The world building just wasn't there and honestly it felt like I'd actually have to live forever in order to be inclined to finish it. On the plus side for others it's good writing and if you are looking for more drama than sci-fi dystopia you'd probably love it. Great idea subjective failed execution..
OutlawPoet
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I finished Suicide Club, I surprised myself. I closed the Kindle and said, "What a beautiful book."

And it really was.

It's funny to say that a near future SF novel like this is beautiful, but that's how I felt after finishing it. I felt witness to something unique and lovely.

Oh, the book is sad of course, but there's so much beauty in choosing your own life and your own death.

Heng forces us to look at how much emphasis society places on youth and beauty and all that impossible to attain perf
Cindy H.
Feb 12, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Henry Holt Publishing and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC on The Suicide Club for my honest review.

The haunting cover of this intriguing titled novel quickly caught my eye and the premise was equally engaging. My disappointment with this dystopian story was the lack of plot movement,character motivation and connection to Lea, the main character. I was also confused by the shifting time of past and present and found the childhood trauma of Lea jarring and lackluster. Too much
Gemma F
Update: April 11, 2018

I'm so impressed right now.
This is one book that gave me so many emotions and made me cry. Suicide Club reminded me of a mix between Black Mirror and this futuristic world that Rachel Heng created.

I loved the themes, relationships between family, the overall impression of immortality and the way humankind was described in this book. Full review to come closer to the release date!

July 18, 2017
So stoked for this book written by a Singaporean! Can't wait to read this! 💕
Roman Clodia
There's an interesting premise here that extends logically from our present preoccupation with youth, health and longevity: in the US, technologies have been found that can extend life into hundreds of years with artificial blood, self-renewing skin and long-life muscles. But only for those with the 'right' genetic structure and who are prepared to sacrifice anything that can inhibit long life: meat, sugar, alcohol, anything that raises stress/cortisol/adrenaline levels - but with so many restri ...more
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
"Something has to change. In being robbed of our deaths, we are robbed of our lives."
Suicide Club is a chilling tale of a near-future dystopia where population decline has led to strict Sanctity of Life laws and systems to extend life ever longer. Poetically written, Heng weaves a dystopian nightmare that is plausible; however, I struggled to connect to the story as I had expected to and was left wanting much more.

The novel takes place in a New York City that closely resembles modern day, wh
Alexis
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I loved the concept behind this book. In the future, the population is falling. To try to keep it up, people are strongly encouraged to be super healthy and get various body enhancements and replacements. As a result, some people live to be over 100. Then there are the others - the sub-100s - who are the second-class citizens, who live and die like the mortals they are.

The storyline is also really interesting. Lea is a lifer, and she tries so hard to be perfect. She has a great job, a fiancee, a
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Unfortunately didn't finish- although reading up to 77%

Then there is Anja, her once famous opera singer mum is hundreds of years old and bound to machines, and she's trappe
Maria
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come.
Okoń w sieci
FILMOWA RECENZJA: www.bit.ly/wiecznyokon

description

To książka o życiu i śmierci. Wbrew pozorom szczęście nie musi iść w parze z tym pierwszym. Szczególnie kiedy pogoń za doskonałością i nieśmiertelnością doprowadzi do kompletnej demoralizacji i utraty empatii.
Problematyka do jakiej doprowadził mnie "Klub samobójców", odwróciła moją uwagę od fabuły i bohaterów. To plus i zarówno minus, bo oznaczać może, że nie były to aż tak silne elementy.
Nie do końca podobała mi się kreacja bohaterów, ale mimo to czytał
Wendi Lee
In the future, genetic testing at birth determines who gets to extend their life via special medical procedures and maintenance. Lea is a “lifer,” striving to be one of the first chosen for the Third Wave, which basically equals immortality. Lea does everything right, but seeing her estranged (and assumed deceased) father puts her future in jeopardy.

I liked the premise of this novel, and Lea’s difficulty in reconciling her past with the safe existence of lifers. I liked Anja even more, a violini
Kathleen
May 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this book needed more of everything. More world building. More character development. More plot. The concept was a really interesting one, and I thought the plot was just really slow moving, until I got to the end are realized there just wasn't much of one. Honestly I had a hard time pushing myself to finish. I wish there had been more about how this new future worked, how it got that way and why the US seemed to be alone in it. I think that may have helped to hold more of my interest. I ...more
Jen
Sep 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
  • The Electric State
  • Tank Girl Armadillo!: A Novel
  • Long Dark Dusk (The Australia Trilogy, #2)
  • The Hawkman: A Fairy Tale of the Great War
  • The Courier's New Bicycle
  • America Pacifica
  • The Repossession Mambo
  • Ember
  • A Scandal By Any Other Name (A Tale of Two Sisters, #2)
  • Drop by Drop (Step by Step, #1)
  • Falling Sky (Ben Gold, #1)
  • Her Christmas Pleasure (The Merry Widows #2)
  • IOU Sex
  • Bête
  • Calling Mr. King
  • Unholy Land
  • Fourth World (Missing Link, #1)
  • Tempting the Laird (Highland Grooms, #5)
Rachel Heng is a Singaporean novelist and short story writer. Her debut novel, Suicide Club, will be published by Sceptre, Hachette (UK) and Henry Holt, Macmillan (US) in July 2018. Translation rights have also been sold in Sweden, Portugal, Italy, Czech Republic, Taiwan and China thus far. Suicide Club is available for pre-order in hardcover, e-book and audiobook on Amazon.

Rachel's short stories
“Lea studied the lines of his face. In them she saw again every expression he had ever made--every smile and frown and sigh--saw how they jostled for room on the canvas of his skin, how they'd etched their fleeting existence into his flesh, how they filled it up, made their mark, carved and pulled and twisted until there was no space left.” 1 likes
“Before you know what kindness really is you must lose things, feel the future dissolve in a moment like salt in a weakened broth. What you held in your hand, what you counted and carefully saved, all this must go so you know how desolate the landscape can be between the regions of kindness. —“Kindness,” NAOMI SHIHAB NYE” 0 likes