Start by marking “If I'm Being Honest” as Want to Read:
If I'm Being Honest

If I'm Being Honest

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  5,375 ratings  ·  1,052 reviews
High school senior Cameron Bright’s reputation can be summed up in one word: bitch. It’s no surprise she’s queen bee at her private L.A. high school—she’s beautiful, talented, and notorious for her cutting and brutal honesty. So when she puts her foot in her mouth in front of her crush, Andrew, she fears she may have lost him for good.

In an attempt to win him over, Camero
Published April 23rd 2019 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about If I'm Being Honest, please sign up.
Emily Wibberley Nope! Both novels are standalones. But if you've read ANY, you may recognize a character or two...

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·
 ·  5,375 ratings  ·  1,052 reviews

Start your review of If I'm Being Honest
Melanie

ARC provided by Penguin in exchange for an honest review.

Wow, this truly read like a gift from above. Like, I’m actually bitter than I didn’t have a YA contemporary story like this when I was in high school; because this was perfection. The Taming of the Shrew/10 Things I Hate About You loose retelling, starring a popular mean girl and a nerdy gamer boy, where they
jessica
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
okay, so emily wibberley and austin siegemund-broka are ultimate couple goals. not only do they write books together, but they write freakin adorable stories with the most wholesome romances. i seriously cant get over it. like, where do i find myself a significant other who can ALSO be my coauthor?! thats the dream right there.

i seriously enjoyed this story so much. i feel like on a surface level, anyone would enjoy this sweet contemporary story. but with the deeper meanings, flawed but relatab
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was SO GOOD and I am so pissed at myself for putting it off for so long. I’m obsessed. YA contemporary perfection *chef’s kiss*
emma
If I’m being honest…..this was one of the most disappointing reads of the year for me.

(Get it? Because the title is If I’m Being Honest? Buh dum ch.)

It was just...unpleasant. Like, none of this read as even remotely realistic to me? Parents at large were crazy flat nothing-but-evil stereotypes (except at the end, when exactly one of them made a near-explanationless development 180).

And the “friends” from the beginning...who were soon very cruelly replaced with a Ragtag Group of Quirky Teens...wh
Barbie
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

My thoughts in a nutshell
I never planned to read this book. It was an instant buy and read because of the cover. I thought it would be an ordinary fluffy YA book. I'm so glad I picked it up. It was so much more than I felt.

The story is about…
Skip over this point if you don't like the sneak peek.
Cameron Bright is an honest girl. Everyone hates her because she says what's on her mind. One day, Cameron's big, old crush Andrew labeled her as one word: bitch. It is a problem. Oooops.

What impresse
Cristina Monica
This is a contemporary retelling of Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew that is both a comedy and a tragedy. It’s also everything I wanted it to be and so much more than this duo’s previous release – Always Never Yours. I was recently told that I am brutally honest, a statement I agree with and probably the main reason why I connected so well and so instantly with the heroine of this novel, Cameron Bright, a girl who says what she thinks 24/7.

But brutal honesty in general can offend and hurt t
Elle (ellexamines)
Jul 06, 2018 marked it as tbz
proof the timeline I’m in doesn’t totally suck: one of my favorite author duos is writing another book, but this time it’s inspired by Ten Things I Hate About You, aka my favorite 90s teen movie. so yeah I’m happy
releases: April 23rd, 2019
Ashley Nuckles
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Was not expecting to read this one but there was an ebook sale and I said why the heck not. Super cute! I kept seeing Brendan as the character Penn Badgley plays in John Tucker Must Die and it was glorious.
Larry H
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Cameron Bright, a high school senior, is beautiful, blonde, and popular. She also has a bit of a reputation around school.

"...I've been called that name often enough, under enough breaths, for it not to hurt. Not from a girl like her. It's hardly an uncommon thought here. Cameron Bright's a bitch."

The thing is, while Cameron can be cruel in the way she says things to people, she's really just brutally honest. It's a quality she inherited from her father, whom she never sees, since her
✨ A ✨
I thought I was over cutesy YA contemporary. I guess not 😅
Review to come.

____
Buddy reading with Warda, Türkan, Fares and Karima
Warda
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciated this book so much. I loved the message and what it stood for.
I misjudged this story too quickly like I misjudged the main character too quickly. It was a surface level judgement. And as the story went on and more meat was added onto the story, I really grew to care for every part of it all. It had depth, it had substance and more importantly, this story was human.
Vicky Again
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS WAS AMAZING AHHHHHH
Tatiana
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to Tatiana by: Kirkus
Shelves: ya, 2019
Examination of a mean girl this is not, unfortunately. If you want that, Some Girls Are is the way to go.

Cameron is unnecessarily rude and brash, but, after being chastised by her potential love interest, learns relatively quickly to tone it down and becomes a better person, makes new friends and discovers a nerdy boy to love. None of this is particularly new or revelatory. 10 Things I Hate About You, I think, had a better version of The Taming of the Shrew.

More interesting is Cameron's relati
Michelle
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cameron Bright is the girl that every guy in school wants to date and the idol that most other girls want to be. She’s bright; she’s beautiful—the only problem— she’s a royal b*tch, and not afraid to admit it. With that type of popularity, there’s a certain persona that must be upheld at Beaumont Prep and she has no problem fulfilling that position.

“ I’ve always thought of honesty as helpful, even if it’s hurtful.”

“If every glare I earned, or didn’t earn but received nonetheless, bothered me, I
Tani
May 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just didn't care.

Buddy read with Bubbles
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
*DNF intensifies*

GR review to come, or read it early HERE.
EmBibliophile
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars

“Katherine’s not the villain of the play. It’s the people trying to change her”

if I’m being honest, This was a really good book.

A really enjoyable quick read where an unapologetically honest girl figure herself out.

I didn’t have high expectations before I start this book, but the fact that it’s based on 10 things I hate about you with Taming of the shrew references made me excited to read it.
This is a book about becoming who you truly want to be, not who everyone trying to make you.
She-who-must-not-be-named
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I was captivated by the synopsis and so, I picked up this book. The plot and the drama were cool and the writing style was neither too heavy nor too frugal.

The best part about the book is its theme: You should always embrace your real self and not change yourself for someone else. And it was beautifully portrayed by the character, Cameron Bright- she spoke her mind and was really upfront about things (she WASN'T being a bitch) and with every passing chapter, she just got more and more loveable
Tara ☽
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Had to deduct points because the author kept trying to convince me that Benedict Cumberbatch is 1) attractive, and 2) still relevant
Hollis
IF I'M BEING HONEST is something of a love letter to the archetype of the mean girl. The girl who is pretty, blonde, popular and always there with a harsh barb. What these authors do with that character, however, is somewhat different from what we've come to expect.

If every glare I earned, or didn't earn but received nonetheless, bothered me, I'd drown in the judgment.

Cameron is beautiful, blonde, popular.. but she's not rich. She doesn't have a string of broken hearts in her past -- infact, she
;3
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
edit: SCREAM oh my god it got worse because she basically just described the love interest as benefyd cumberparch’s younger brother in the looks department. like? hello? what YEAR are we in.

• •

me: maybe the main character is redeemable after all

main character: “i know what sherlock is,” i reply. honestly, I’ve long had a thing for benedict cumberbatch. he’s definitely gawky and nerdy, with his bushy hair and narrow frame, but I’m into it.

me: suddenly i’ve lost all respect for her
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Much like this duo’s debut, I super enjoyed this! I appreciate that their MCs are never your typical YA MC, but they also don’t play into the “not like other girls” mentality. I will admit, Cameron really frustrated me toward the end of the book— and I say that as someone who rarely gets annoyed by characters in books— but overall, I loved her character arc. Also looooooved the romance. And the cameo by Owen and Megan at the end of the book?! I died.
Rue
Jun 05, 2020 marked it as on-hold  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read
Look I tried...
I just can't get into books that read like Wattpad fanfic.
Maybe I'll read one chapter per year. So I can still be attached to Cameron.
Untill then Adios I'm...
b97900b8042d9305687143829c41dae3

Tried Buddy Reading it with You know who, and failed 😂
(DNFed at 51% chapter 23)
Corina

Even though I enjoyed the audiobook, If I’m Being Honest is not an easy book to rate.

The story was well done. The writing, dialogues, pace and overall topic was right up my alley. And I really enjoyed many aspects of this book. Cameron’s journey, Brandan, her new friendships, and the overall Mean Girls/10 Things I Hate About You vibe.

Cameron was an interesting character.
She was one of those popular girls. Beautiful, smart, and part of the upper echelon of her high school. Cameron was kn
Dahlia
Nov 22, 2018 added it
Shelves: 2019-releases
I am here for this duo forever and ever. Always fun, always voice-y with great heroines, always banterrific, and I love how they handle Shakespeare. Bring on the next one, please!
Kashish
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was looking for something light,
Which would make my day bright,
Then this book caught my eye,
And I just wanted to try.

A popular girl in college,
Is more honest that people acknowledge,
Apologizing didn't really help her,
Time goes by in a blur.

She did everything she could do,
Her chances of winning their hearts grew,
Read the book to know the rest,
It's what I think is the best.

First Contemporary I read in a while,
I am happy it was worthwhile,
It was a quick read,
So now I can proceed.

I read two books
Jennifer Kyle
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

A very enjoyable ya read!
Maggie ☘
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary-na
If I'm Being Honest was a great YA contemporary retelling of The Taming Of The Shrew, making a lot of observations about the play and Katherine's character - Cameron's story paralleled in some ways the one of Katherine.

Cameron wouldn't be someone you'd call 'nice' per se, and I liked following her all the more for it. I always admire authors who are not afraid to create flawed characters. I didn't always like Cameron, mainly at the beginning, but I understood her behavior at all times.

Her - an
Cindy ✩☽♔
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This writing duo is at it again. And it is even more gush worthy as the last.

I loved this one even more than Always Never Yours. I read it all in one day with pleasure and ease. It's fierce, smart, witty and charming as are its characters.

*Review to come*
Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
"I know the truth can hurt, even when you need to hear it."

Reviews on this novel have been circling around a lot in the book blogging community, ARC's and eager beaver buyers alike. I'm fond of retelling's WHEN done RIGHT and the reviews made this novel sound VERY promising, so I decided to give it a shot ... it's also just a lovely cover. Much to my surprise, this has jumped high on my favourite reads of 2019! The flow of the story, the HILARIOUS main character and accompanied side characters,

• Fake It Till You Break It
  • Maybe This Time
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Tweet Cute
  • The Upside of Falling
  • Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3)
  • Meet Me at Midnight
  • By the Book
  • You Say It First
  • Hearts Made for Breaking
  • Every Other Weekend
Emily Wibberley grew up in Southern California, but instead of working on her nonexistent tan at the beach, she spent her time reading, making music and watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Shortly after falling for her best friend, Austin Siegemund-Broka, she attended Princeton University where she graduated Magna Cum Laude in 2014 with a degree in Psychology. She and Austin now live and write YA co

Articles featuring this book

Young love, first love, star-crossed love. YA fiction has brought us some of our very favorite heartbreaks and Happily Ever Afters. For...
“If I was going to commit to someone, I wanted him to be worth the worry, worth the part of me I was going to give him.” 2 likes
“I know the truth can hurt, even when you need to hear it.” 1 likes