Start by marking “No Greater Love” as Want to Read:
No Greater Love

No Greater Love

No Greater Love is the essential wisdom of Mother Teresa - the most accessible and inspirational collection of her teachings ever published. This definitive volume features Mother Teresa on love, prayer, giving, service, poverty, forgiveness, Jesus, and more. It ends with an up-to-date biography and a revealing conversation with Mother Teresa about the specific challenges ...more
Published February 1st 1997 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about No Greater Love, please sign up.
Talysa The foreword (beginning) is by Thomas Moore. The rest is by Mother Teresa herself. In the conversation, she talks to Jose Luis Bonzales-Balado. At the…moreThe foreword (beginning) is by Thomas Moore. The rest is by Mother Teresa herself. In the conversation, she talks to Jose Luis Bonzales-Balado. At the very end of her book, she has a biography that someone else wrote about her. To answer your question, is a book with a biography and autobiography mixed in.(less)

Start your review of No Greater Love
bookczuk
Mar 04, 2009 rated it liked it
The fruit of silence is prayer.
The fruit of prayer is faith.
The fruit of faith is love.
The fruit of love is service.
The fruit of service is peace.

-Mother Teresa

Words to remember. And live by, if you can remember them.
Marci
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a book I randomly bought off a clearance shelf while in college and I just got around to reading it thanks to my book club. It is set up as a series of quotes and stories from Mother Teresa divided by topic (Prayer, Love, Giving, etc) which makes it easy to find just what you may be looking for. At the end of the book is an interview with her and then a time line of her life, both of which I found very interesting. I really enjoyed looking through her thoughts and learned a lot about her ...more
Christopher Lewis Kozoriz
"Jesus gives me the opportunity to feed Him by feeding those who are hungry, to clothe Him by clothing those who are naked, to heal Him by caring for those who are sick, and to offer Him shelter by housing those who are homeless and unwanted." (Mother Teresa, No Greater Love, Page 100)

This book covers the words of Mother Teresa on everything from her view of prayer, love, giving, being holy, work and service, poverty, forgiveness, suffering and death, etc.

Truly Mother Teresa was a gift to the
James Briggs
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'd have to say this is actually a 3 1/2 star book! The first few chapters are absolutely incredible! Mother Teresa puts such on strong emphasis on charity and love. In brief summary. Love someone, and you love God. Serve someone and you serve God. Care for someone, have compassion for someone, etc and you've done it until Christ.
About half way through the book started to feel and read a little more dry. She also shared some things that I strongly disagree with. Money is evil, and to be poor is
Lon
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Upon his election, the new Pope chose to adopt the name of the legendary St. Francis, whose deep compassion for the poor inspires the new pontiff. We’ve been moved (Catholics and non-Catholics alike) by images of the Pope reminding us that spiritual leadership, first and foremost, is about showing us how to love, especially how to love the least lovable among us. (Isn’t there a story about St. Francis confronting his instinctual and conditioned repugnance at the sight of a leper and then ...more
Anna
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Through the quotes that compose this book, Mother Teresa lives up to her reputation as a loving, devoted Christian and fellow human. When I first picked up No Greater Love, I expected to be inspired to live like she lived, but instead I was challenged to live like God wants me to live. Mother Teresa is brilliant (and reassuring!) in her acknowledgement that her lifestyle is not for everyone and that each of us is called to serve in a different way. She uses both her enlightened thoughts and her ...more
Joel
Aug 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: every beating heart
Shelves: social, christian
Mother Teresa, we all know, was an absolutely amazing woman and had the heart of hearts. Her book displays that amazingly. Her prose is not elegant, but it was painstakingly thoughtful and heartfelt. It challenges and inspires; should be read all. If this were on everyone's bookshelf of books they've read, maybe, just maybe, our world would be a better place. The heart of this amazingly woman shines through every page and will touch the hardest of hearts in the simplest and plainest ways, just ...more
Santiago Ramírez Calderón
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We underestimate love, we might think that money, power and glory are the best, but inside of the human heart, love is the only real thing that we need.

Her love for poor people was learned directly by her mother, and from the Virgin Mary she learned to have mercy, compassion came naturally from her love to God, and she learned, from her road with sick and poor people, to give everything she had in order to love them, entirely and with no desire of retribution.

She walked the world, asking for
Kerri
Jun 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone especially christians
so they say you can't chose a book by its cover right? i firmly believe that. No, just kidding, but in this case the book itself is just as pure and beautiful as the silky white front cover. As a missionary, a lover, a peacemaker, an ally of the poor and suffering, an icon of both the secular and church world and a tiny religious nun, just seeing the name Mother Teresa makes me smile. This book, in her own words, about the eternal Love and man's personal will of God, with a few short stories ...more
Katie
May 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone
Incredible words of wisdom from a woman who clearly had a great love for Jesus and humanity. Possibly one of the most inspiring books I've read in a long time. Her message is simple but very profound and touching.

This world would be a much better place if the rest of us could love with an ounce of the love that Mother Teresa expressed to those around her. I recommend this to everyone -- whether you are Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Muslim, Agnostic or of any other creed... I think we can all be
Deedums
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book challenged me to re-evaluate my own walk with Christ. When I see others, who do I see and how do I reach out to them? Ka Pow! It's a convicting read, and it presents a convincing argument for more devotion and doing more for others.
Ellen Ragsdale
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-ellen
A book that offers encouragement and challenges us to live a life dedicated to God.
J.M. Robison
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved
This book is a compilation of events and thoughts Mother Teresa herself experienced. There is so much hate in the world right now, that I needed something to teach me how to separate myself from it all. This book spoke of nothing but pure love for all fellow humans, to lift up instead of putting down. Her words have touched me so deeply, that I have a new perspective on life, and I'm happier for it. I highly recommend.
Ellen Matheson
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This lady is a boss.
Natasha
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So much of my book is marked. I will read this again. Mother Teresa found so much truth. One of my favorite things she wrote, "If we really want to conquer the world, we will not be able to do it with bombs or with other weapons of destruction. Let us conquer the world with our love. Let us interweave our lives with bonds of sacrifice and love, and it will be possible for us to conquer the world."
Nancy
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, but, I love Mother Teresa... She went to do her work in Calcutta, India because it was where the door was open to her love and kindness where they needed it most. It turned out that she was needed all over the world. This book is filled with Mother Teresa's words of wisdom and acts of kindness. I love that she was the angel for the sick, dying, and orphans. A women of true character...
Matt Burgess
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Profound insight into a real international hero and icon. This book does not always demonstrate incredible layout or writing, but in it Mother Theresa provides her own thought-provoking perspective on the subject of love. The authentic words from this humble leader are truly inspirational given the life and experiences behind them all.

For anyone who thinks they fully understand love especially the love that Jesus came to this world to exemplify, this book is for you.
Alicia
Dec 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Alicia by: TX book club
I love Mother Teresa and am so impressed by her life and the love she showed to others. I was fascinated to read the biographical details of her life in this book, and less interested in the Catholic doctrines that I couldn't quite understand. But her messages of love and prayer and of seeing Jesus in the poor people on the streets were wonderful.
Kmazukelli
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a refreshing way to head into 2017. To read the words of Mother Teresa is to try to understand a perspective so incredibly selfless. I think in our world of materialism and status her ideas are a breath of fresh air. A welcome perspective shift and some good pearls of wisdom.
Anna
Apr 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
This book is helped me grow deeper in my faith and find love in the simple pleasures of life. She is truly a Saint.
Kelsie
Dec 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites. She has such a tender, compassionate, and generous love for Jesus.
Olivia
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mother Teresa's insights on love, service, forgiveness and prayer. She exemplified Christlike love, caring for the most unloved in society.
Piet
Mar 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Great little collection of the simple/profound wisdom of this dear woman of faith. Especially appreciated the chapter on sacrifice...
Heather
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
This is a neat book. Mother Teresa is an example of love and compassion and humility. She was born Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu in 1910 in Skopje, Macedonia. When she was twelve she first felt her calling to a missionary life and by eighteen she was on her way to India. When she was 36 she heard a clear message that she "had to leave the convent and consecrate [herself] to helping the poor by living among them. It was a command (p. 195)." So, she did. This wasn't easy. She had to get special permission ...more
Jesseca Evans
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book and a beautiful woman.
The love and prayer sections have really stuck out. She talks about how it’s easy to love people we never see, but it’s hard to love those close to us—specifically the people we live with. And that they need love the most.

I feel like I’ve had a major attitude check (not that I had a bad one) and I am trying harder to make sure that people see Jesus though me. Idk if I heard it in the book, or read this last night in my devotional, or maybe both, but
Hee-jung Cranford
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Saint Teresa of Calcutta brought me to the Catholic faith in 2004. So reading this brought back special memories. Couldn't put the book down, and was sad to finish it! What an honor to reflect on the writings of a canonized Saint. On a side note...When a high profile executive gave up on cleaning the restrooms in Calcutta and walked out saying wouldn't do it for money, she answered, you do it for something, I do it for someone. Read it intentionally and you will be transformed for life.
David Gamble
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this woman takes no prisoners!

Example:
"If the poor die of hunger it is not because God does not care for them. Rather it is because neither you nor I are generous enough. It's because we are not instruments of love in the hands of God. We do not recognize Christ in the hungry."

Worth a read.
Cassie
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
No Greater Love goes through different categories such as prayer, love, work & service, poverty, death, and much more. At the end it has questions that Mother Tereas answers. Plus, a small portion about her life. This book really opens your eyes to the world around you and gives you hope for this world.
Maria Freeman
I admit this is a book I skimmed rather than read word by word and am not likely to return for a fuller reading later on. I found much of this book obscured by religion and incomprehensible. But just because I can't understand it doesn't mean I don't value the results or achievements or passion Mother Teresa's philosophy has produced.
Andrea Greene
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I kissed this book as soon as I finished it, and I cannot wait to begin it again. I have been introduced and reintroduced to the ways of living and loving like Christ through service and being who God created one to be. I will read it again with the prayer for the message of each of these essays to permeate my soul!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Testing, testing 2 10 Dec 18, 2013 06:07PM

• Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • Why I Am Catholic (and You Should Be Too)
  • My Sisters the Saints: A Spiritual Memoir
  • The Other Side of Beauty: Embracing God's Vision for Love and True Worth
  • Rising Strong as a Spiritual Practice
  • My Badass Book of Saints: Courageous Women Who Showed Me How to Live
  • Letter to a Suffering Church: A Bishop Speaks on the Sexual Abuse Crisis
  • The Power of Vulnerability: Teachings of Authenticity, Connections and Courage
  • The Slightly True Story of Cedar B. Hartley, Who Planned to Live an Unusual Life
  • The Gifts of Imperfect Parenting: Raising Children with Courage, Compassion, and Connection
  • Ước Mơ Của Bạn Nhất Định Thành Hiện Thực
  • The Name of God is Mercy
  • Your Future Self Will Thank You: Secrets to Self-Control from the Bible and Brain Science (A Guide for Sinners,  Quitters, and Procrastinators)
  • Saint Francis of Assisi
  • Savor: Mindful Eating, Mindful Life
  • The Simple Faith of Mr. Rogers: Spiritual Insights from the World's Most Beloved Neighbor
  • Freedom from Fear: The American People in Depression and War, 1929-1945
  • Get Out Now: 7 Reasons to Pull Your Child from Public Schools Before It's Too Late
Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, or Mother Teresa, born Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu was an Albanian Roman Catholic nun who founded the Missionaries of Charity in Kolkata (Calcutta), India in 1950. For over forty years she ministered to the poor, sick, orphaned, and dying, while guiding the Missionaries of Charity's expansion, first throughout India and then in other countries.

By the 1970s she had become
“It is only when you realize your nothingness, your emptiness, that God can fill you with Himself.” 9 likes
“Since we cannot see Christ, we cannot express our love to Him. But we do see our neighbor, and we can do for him what we would do for Christ if He were visible.” 8 likes