Start by marking “The Way We Garden Now: 41 Pick-and-Choose Projects for Planting Your Paradise Large or Small” as Want to Read:

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  50 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Energizing, Inspiring, Edible, and Exciting: That’s what bestselling author Katherine Whiteside says gardening ought to be. Whether you have a half acre of land in the country or a tiny patch of grass in the city, whether you’re an experienced digger or you’ve never held a trowel, Whiteside offers forty-one versatile projects that will make anyone into a proud gardener.

In
Published February 13th 2007 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about The Way We Garden Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way We Garden Now

Elizabeth
May 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: beginning gardeners
Shelves: 2008, garden
A very good beginners guide on how to accomplish some basic gardening tasks. I am going to do the bed preparation this year and start composting. I expect to check it out again next spring to get started on a vegetable garden.

**Spring time is here and I did check this book out again. I like all the good info on watering, fertilizing, bugs, vegetables and planning where everything will go. our compost bins are very full from the previous year and the compost ready to be spread in our garden. our
m.toast
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the best garden design books I've encountered in the reading of many garden design books. Projects large and small are detailed step by step, very practically. The chapters are full of suggestions for tackling site problems. For example, how to choose the right size and type of hedge to help obscure a neighbor's ugly garage.

I will definitely be using ideas from the "how to attract birds" and "how to build a sunflower folly" chapters. This book is full of useful suggestions and practical
Angie
Dec 30, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a good beginners guide to gardening. It has a lot of tips and projects. I liked the detail lists for each project and the fact that the author did not assume any prior knowledge when laying out the projects. I do wish the pictures would have been actual photos instead of illustrations. Some of them were not that clear. I definitely want to try several of the things in here and might have to check the book out again come spring.
Amy Smith
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: garden, non-fiction
Could be subtitled, "Don't fear your garden." This reference offers design and strategy techniques for the beginning gardener, all very encouraging and cheering. In the same way that reading a cook-book might inspire you to cook -- even if not one of the recipes –– this book opens the way for thinking about working the garden.
Alaine
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening-wisdom
I really enjoyed this. The information was put together in an easy to digest manner; even a novice could take these projects on, and feel confident with the results. I enjoyed the whimsical hand-illustrated plans. I recommend this for any new gardener/homeowner/landscaper looking for inspiration. Why grow only grass when there are so many wonderful things to do with your space?
Aug 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book covering the basics of container gardens to large kitchen gardens. If you have to dig up a bed of grass to create your garden, read this book first for a back-saving technique...cover the grass up and let time and heat kill it, then turn it into the ground. That would've been easier for my old garden in Georgia - if only I had known!
Blackbook
Jun 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008, gardening
This is a book for beginners. It is presented in a beautiful way with watercolor illustrations. It has step by step projects and is written in clear language. It has great ideas on designing garden beds, creating compost piles, watering and organic fertilizing.
Michael
Dec 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening
good advice on planting perfumes, growing a salad, building a patio, houseplants, attracting birds, watering correctly and cultivating a cutting garden. I also enjoyed the compost design using bales of hay.
Deborah
Jun 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: garden
good refernce book
Marla
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Wonderful book! Full of great, practical ideas for all types of gardening. Also has useful tips for attracting birds.
adlin
Aug 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Really like this book. Illustrations and style are great as are the projects. The author gives step by step and nothing is really over the top.
Karen Thacker
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
a great book for the beginning gardner.
Cindy
Feb 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great gardening book. Simple projects and good inspiration
Sue
Apr 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
The best thing about this book is the very nicely done watercolor illustrations - whimsical and fun. But the book itself is quite shallow and (from my experience) not practical.
Maribel
Apr 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
this is a great beginner's book for easy, straightforward new techniques to create beautiful gardens. I really liked the watercolor illustrations too.
Lareen J. Stevens