Start by marking “Mansfield Park by Jane Austen” as Want to Read:
Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

Read Book* *Different edition

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  257,149 ratings  ·  8,304 reviews
'We have all been more or less to blame ... every one of us, excepting Fanny' Taken from the poverty of her parents' home, Fanny Price is brought up with her rich cousins at Mansfield Park, acutely aware of her humble rank and with only her cousin Edmund as an ally. When Fanny's uncle is absent in Antigua, Mary Crawford and her brother Henry arrive in the neighbourhood, br ...more
Published April 7th 2018 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published 1814)

To ask other readers questions about Mansfield Park by Jane Austen, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) She's not "out of it"--she has opted out. Austen says as much: she's bone idle, and prefers doing needlework and petting her dog to actively…moreShe's not "out of it"--she has opted out. Austen says as much: she's bone idle, and prefers doing needlework and petting her dog to actively participating in life. After all, she married a rich man, that's what servants are for. There are plenty of wealthy women in the world today who sit around watching TV, going to the hairdresser, lunching--and little else. They pay other people to take care of their houses, their kids, their meals and clothes. Their only mission in life is to be as comfortable and fashionable as possible. You don't have to be disabled to be brain-dead. You don't even have to be rich, to be selfish and lazy. Today she'd sit glued to reality TV all day, if she were working class, or reading one Harlequin Presents after another, or something.

Sir Thomas is so wrapped up in his business that he hardly notices his own children are there unless they, like Tom, get so into debt or make such fools of themselves that he has to pay attention. Again, like plenty of workaholics the world over in our day and age he knows the servants and busybody Aunt Norris will take up the slack. Wifey doesn't bother her pretty little head, but then she doesn't have to--he can afford it. Just like plenty of absentee parents today--they bring in the money and find somebody to take care of things. Au pairs, nannys, housekeepers, schools--whoever.(less)
Musica1 Scientific studies have now shown that marrying a first cousin doesn't statistically increase your chances of genetic defects. It was fairly common in…moreScientific studies have now shown that marrying a first cousin doesn't statistically increase your chances of genetic defects. It was fairly common in the past and only seems weird to us because we don't do it anymore. When you read anything, be it a history book or a novel, you need to try to put yourself into the feelings and thoughts of that time period to understand people's actions, and not judge actions based on modern ideas and feelings. In 200 more years things we take as normal will probably seem shocking.(less)

·  257,149 ratings  ·  8,304 reviews

Greyeyedminerva
Jul 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was astounded to find that many of the reviews on this site criticize this book for the main character, Fanny Price, & her timidity and morality. It is very different from Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility, whose smart, sensible heroines make the novels, but I actually enjoyed this book immensely for its social commentary.

Most of the characters in this book singlemindedly pursue wealth, status, and pleasure regardless of their personal and moral costs. Their antics are pretty
Sherwood Smith
Most Austen aficionados agree that Pride and Prejudice is a great book. Jane Austen thought it might be too "light and bright and sparkling"--that its comedy might outshine its serious points--but its continued popularity today indicates that her recipe for brilliance contained just the right ingredients.

Yet a lot of modern readers loathe Mansfield Park, despite its being thought by others the greatest of all Austen's work. What's going on here?

Frequently leveled criticisms:
* Fanny is a stick
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Upping my rating from 3 stars to 4 on reread. Mansfield Park isn't as easy to love as most of Jane Austen's other novels, but it has a lot of insights to offer into the personalities, strengths and weaknesses of not just Fanny, but all of the other characters who live in and around Mansfield Park, a country manor in England. Like Kelly says in her truly excellent review of this book, it's called "Mansfield Park" - not Fanny or Foolishness and Awkwardness - for a good reason.

The other thing that
Kelly
Jun 04, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only hardcore Austen fans
(This is usually the part where I offer abject apologies for my review's length, but I don't feel like it this time. It's long. Continued on the comments section. You have been duly notified.)

Ah, Fanny Price. We meet again.

Our previous meeting was…. How shall I say? Underwhelming. Unsatisfying. …Lacking is really the word I’m looking for. There was something missing in every encounter I had with you that made me want to tear my hair out.

Now I know why, and it was entirely to do with what I brou
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
The impossible happened! I read something by Jane Austen and I didn’t give it five stars! What is the world coming to? I don’t even know who I am anymore.

Though this was awfully dull. Austen has never be renowned for her fast moving plots, so I know what to expect when I go into one of her novels. What makes her writing so compelling is the social commentary and the razor sharp wit. The woman holds nothing back! And she’s ever so subtle. Her characters are often caricatures and she exploits the
Lisa
Jane Austen's take on Cinderella!

From the very first moment, the reader knows just as well as Fanny herself that she is meant to marry Edmund. But reader and heroine alike also know that by the social standards of Jane Austen, that is a Mission Impossible. Fanny is a true fairytale Cinderella, raised by one negligent and one malevolent aunt at Mansfield Park. She is reminded at all times that her cousins are superior to her in all respects, and that she has to serve them and be grateful for the
Henry Avila
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fanny Price's mother had two sisters as beautiful as she, one married an affluent gentleman Sir Thomas Bertram, and everyone said this would enable her siblings, to do the same. Nevertheless little England hasn't enough rich men, to accommodate deserving ladies. Another married a respectable quiet clergyman, with little money. Sir Thomas's friend, Reverend Norris good yet dull , gets him a church and a cottage in Mansfield Park, Northampton, on his vast estate. The kind Sir Thomas is very willin ...more
Idarah
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“The best things in life are free,
but you can give them to the birds and bees.
I want money.” – The Flying Lizzards

photo image.jpg1_zpsrlvlrb6t.jpg

This is the last of Austen’s books that I’ve finally finished, a goal I’ve been working towards since I was sixteen. I saved this one for last because although it’s one of my favorite films, it seemed like it would be a clunky and slow-paced novel. I was definitely wrong. Maybe it’s the timing of it. This book will forever remind me of my grandmother’s passing. She passed away two w
April (Aprilius Maximus)
You can't see me right now but i'm rolling my eyes so hard i can see the back of my head.
Olive (abookolive)
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I'm so surprised this book isn't more beloved. It's now my second favorite Austen, for sure.

Edit: Screw it, this deserves five stars. I make an impassioned defense of Fanny Price on my booktube channel: https://youtu.be/v6fFycNb6m0
Holly
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Holly by: hollygoguen@gmail.com
Shelves: literature, favorites
I have seen no small amount of reviews toting Fanny Price as Austen's least likable heroine, and to be honest...I'm not sure where they get that impression from. Granted, Fanny's characteristics often shine by what they are not, next to the undesirable character traits of those around her.....but does this appropriateness of demeanor, attention to honor and morals, and respect toward elders (especially the ones least deserving of it) truely mean she is not fit for her lead status? I think not. A ...more
Duane
I have a feeling that Fanny Price is more like the real Jane Austen than, let's say, Elizabeth Bennett or Emma Woodhouse. I think Jane wanted to be like Elizabeth and Emma, but she knew she was really Fanny. The book had a different feel to it than the others, more serious characters, more real life issues. All in all, I liked it. I would rate it somewhere in the middle of the pack of her novels. But Fanny is one of my favorite Jane Austen heroines.
Trish
Mar 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This edition of Mansfield Park comes with a great introduction and notes, containing interesting information about the publication of this novel and historical context.

I have been a huge Jane Austen fan ever since I first saw P&P and shortly thereafter read the novel, leading to me falling in love with the dignified wit and sass this author has had. It can't have been easy in her time, which makes me appreciate her dry humour and social criticism even more.

A fair warning to you all: I cannot
Ahmad Sharabiani
937. Mansfield Park, Jane Austen
Mansfield Park is the third published novel by Jane Austen, first published in 1814 by Thomas Egerton. A second edition was published in 1816 by John Murray, still within Austen's lifetime. The novel tells the story of Fanny Price, starting when her overburdened, impoverished family sends her at age ten to live in the household of her wealthy aunt and uncle; it follows her development and concludes in early adulthood.
Frances "Fanny" Price, at age ten, is sent fro
Melindam
Update 3/7/2017

What is not a surprise: every time I re-read a Jane Austen novel (no matter which one), I discover something new that surprises me.

Like opening an old treasure chest where you think you are familiar with every item and yet you realise there is always something new turning up.

So many thoughts on this particular re-read, I might end up writing a proper review eventually ... or not.

My present musing
-Mrs Norris does not have a Christian name! She is either referred to as Miss Ward o
Manuel Antão
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2000
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Painting on a Small Canvas: "Mansfield Park" by Jane Austen

"Here's harmony!" said she; "here's repose! Here's what may leave all painting and all music behind, and what poetry only can attempt to describe! Here's what may tranquilize every care, and lift the heart to rapture! When I look out on such a night as this, I feel as if there could be neither wickedness nor sorrow in the world; and there certainly would be less of both if the
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
Quiet strength is STILL strength

(Aka, my girl Fanny gets a bad rep.)

Edmund was a boring ham sandwich of a person.
But he’s still kind of cute and even though the whole thing feels like a church special, you still root for them.
Bradley
Fanny is quite a different bird than most that fly through the books I normally read, self-effacing, eager to please, and horribly self-conscious. I'm not used to that as a main character in an Austen book. Still, it works. She's shy and sensitive, and while we all like to poo-poo such characters in novels, they're generally quite wonderful people in real life.

So am I giving this novel a pass because I felt something for Fanny? Possibly. Otherwise, I probably would have been up in arms against t
Jason Koivu
"I can not but think good horsemanship has a great deal to do with the mind." Jane Austen always did a great job of planting ridiculous declarations in the mouths of characters she wished to discredit. Character was her strong suit and there's some good'uns here in.

Within Mansfield Park there are characterizations so delicate and actions of importance utterly unassuming. Some seem meaningless in their modesty. Excellent work by a diligent author. Dangerous pitfalls for the casual reader.

The who
Diane
Sweet, endearing Fanny Price. Fanny is so good and is so perceptive about her own morals and feelings that reading this novel always makes me resolve to be a kinder and more gracious person.

There is strength in kindness. Fanny is not physically strong, but her character is. She protects her heart, and she earnestly tries to help wherever she can. Born into a poor family, when she's 10 she is adopted by her wealthy uncle, Sir Thomas Bertram, and goes to live on his family's estate at Mansfield P
Khush
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel can also be called 'Fanny Price' as it tells the story of Fanny. A young but poor girl who goes to live with her well-off uncle at Mansfield Park. She feels unhappy and sad in this place and does her very best to fit in, but very often she is ignored. In fact, she is often subtly rebuked by her aunt Norris, who too lives in close proximity. However, the way we get to know all these characters around Fanny, we see that they are not overtly rambunctious and loud we see how hypocrisy, fo ...more
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
I've just reread Tadiana's review of this wonderful book & I very much agree with her central point - Austen's novels are not romances & you are doomed to disappointment if you expect them to be. Pride & Prejudice has the most romantic elements, but also enough bracing realism to act like a bucket of water thrown over the face! The books are more very interesting character studies.

Fanny comes to Mansfield Park as a shy & not very robust ten year old. Although the Bertram family
Margaret
Mansfield Park is perhaps not the one of Austen's novels which appeals the most to modern sensibilities; after all, reasonably faithful adaptations have been made recently of several of Austen's other novels, while Mansfield Park was changed into something Austen lovers barely recognized. Mansfield Park is the home of Fanny Price, the poor relation of Sir Thomas and Lady Bertram (Fanny's mother's sister), who took her to live with them from her impoverished Portsmouth home. Fanny is largely over ...more
Mitticus
A los 10 años Fanny Price llega a vivir a casa de sus pudientes tios en Mansfield Park. Sir Thomas Bertram es un baronet, que se casó con su tia y tienen cuatro hijos mayores que ella. Ella es la sobrina pobretona a quien han aceptado por caridad, y su tia Norris, la otra hermana de su madre, nunca permite que ella olvide su mala situación. Sometida, se refugia en los libros y en la amistad de su primo Edmund.

Fanny Price a primera vista parece la protagonistas más ñoña de Austen. Es más fácil en
Julie Christine
The filling of the reading sandwich between my first time with Mansfield Park ten years ago and last week is Susan Cain's Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, which I happened upon two years ago. Cain's book was a revelation to me. At last, I finally understood my essence—after years of wondering what's wrong with me, why I crave so much time alone, why gatherings of people exhaust me, why, yes indeed, I steer my grocery cart abruptly away if I see someone I know in ...more
Drew
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
3 1/2 stars. Mansfield Park is very different from the well-known Pride and Prejudice, but it's still a very good read. In fact, it was around 4 1/2 stars up until the end, which I found unnecessarily dragged out and long.

If you don't know, I love Jane Austen. While I've only read one other book by her, I grew up watching all the movies and the stories found a permanent place in my heart. Maybe it's because I got to visit Jane Austen's house in England and see her very own writing desk that I fe
Eric
Aug 05, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ficciones
My reading of Mansfield Park was attended, part of the way, by two poets talking about the difficulty of writing (or to me, reading) Austen’s kind of novel:

A young poet’s ignorance of life will go unnoticed. Meter, rhyme, felicitous phrases, and what not mask the underlying weakness or banality. With fiction, where dissimilar characters suffer and grow and interact, there is no place to hide. One either knows what people go through or doesn’t.
(James Merrill)

Then she’s a novelist. I don’t know w
emma
jane, i'm not mad, i'm just disappointed

review to come
Holly
Aug 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Austen fans, regency fans
I'm really not surprised that not a lot of people like Fanny Price. She's timid, moralistic and extremely passive. But really, what were people expecting her to do, exactly? Tell her cousin she loves him? B-slap Miss Crawford? Fanny is low in society, brought up to be grateful to everyone, and has no independence (dowry, etc,.). A lot of women were like that in those days. Many shy people also have a higher regard for authority than others, because of authority's 'better' judgement, and that is ...more
Maureen
This may even be more like a 2.5/5 idek.
I overall really disliked these characters and this story and also this book was LONG AS HECK.
Everyone was the worst except Fanny, who was only the worst about the first 25% of the book.
What I DID like is having a girl who is perceived as weak and quiet and shy STAND UP TO A GUY SHE DIDN'T LIKE. Like ESP in a novel of this time, having this girl be like nah you're all wrong, even when it changed people's good opinion over, was just so great. And her contin
  • Anna Karenina
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Barchester Towers (Chronicles of Barsetshire #2)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume  #2
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Adam Bede
  • Cranford & Selected Short Stories
  • Martin Chuzzlewit
  • Agnes Grey
  • Ethan Frome and Selected Stories
  • Henry Tilney's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #6)
  • The Awakening and Selected Short Fiction
  • Jane Austen: An Illustrated Treasury
  • These Three Remain (Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman #3)
  • Black Sheep
  • Jane Austen For Dummies
Jane Austen was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fringes of the English landed gentry
“Life seems but a quick succession of busy nothings.” 1117 likes
“We have all a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be.” 322 likes