Start by marking “Hellicious Vol 1” as Want to Read:
Hellicious Vol 1

Hellicious Vol 1

Cherry, the Devil's prankster granddaughter and the cutest grim reaper in Hell, is honestly just trying to have fun and make new friends. She loves everything about Hell - its burning landscapes, its horrific inhabitants, and especially her demonic mother and grandfather - but she's lonely. There's nobody to play with, and anyone who tries ends up being defenestrated or di ...more
Published October 23rd 2018 by Starburns Industries Press

To ask other readers questions about Hellicious Vol 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellicious Vol 1

Schizanthus
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
“Cherry, I hate falling into this role all the time, but you know I used to be kinda like you. Always running off to have my own adventures and things like that.”

“So?”

“So now I’m a head on a spike!”

“So?”
Cherry just wants to have fun but the damned are so squishy! She knows she’s not supposed to make friends with dead people but as the granddaughter of Satan she doesn’t have a lot of viable playmates. Cherry sets out to prove to her mother that she’s responsible enough to be allowed to have
Chad
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, netgalley
A weaker version of I Hate Fairyland set in Hell. Cherry is Satan's granddaughter and is just looking for someone to play with. She likes to play a little rough though. The jokes just fell flat to me and I was quickly bored with it. I don't know that I would have finished if it had been more than 72 pages.

Received a review copy from Star burn Industries and NetGalley. All thoughts are my own and in no way influenced by the aforementioned.
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from NetGalley

So this is basically an off-brand version of I Hate Fairyland except it's demons instead of fairies, but considering that IHFL was a 5 star series that is over now anyway, there is still plenty of room for this to be fairly enjoyable. It was a little bit short but the art was cute and the story is entertaining enough for me to want to see what happens next.
Diane Hernandez
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Hell is for Children in Hellicious TP Vol 1.

Cherry is seven and mischievous. Her grandfather is Satan, literally. Cherry lives in Hell with her mom, Sin, the chief torturer. And she is bored, really bored. She is also the #1 fan of the famous death metal rocker Briggy Bones (think Ozzy in his bat eating days). After getting permission from her reluctant mom and permissive grandfather, Briggy becomes Cherry’s very first reaping.

The plot is intriguing. The art is colorful and innovative. Cherry is
Molly
I like the premise for this -- that a little demon girl, a heavy metal fan, is incredibly excited when her favorite metal star dies and she's certain that when he joins her in hell, she can convince her parents to let her keep him as a pet. Things don't go quite as planned, however, as her rock star idol was much more mild-mannered in his offstage persona... and I'm curious to see where the story goes.
Kelly Van Damme
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice look, loved the colours, but a bit messy sometimes and a bit of a flimsy story. Overall fun and entertaining.
Dawn
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Cherry is the precocious (to say the least) daughter of Hell’s primary demon (who happens to be the daughter of a semi-retired Satan). Though a “child”, she is still tasked with reaping souls and getting them into Hell. She tends to have a little too much fun with the damned along the way, but her mother doesn’t mind since they’re all going to be tormented anyway.

When Cherry decides she wants a more permanent playmate, she hits on the idea of getting her favorite goth musician. First thing is t
Wayne McCoy
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Hellicious Vol. 1' by Mina Elwell, Alan C. Medina, Kit Wallis, and Jio Butler is a comic about the devil's prankster granddaughter.

Cherry lives in hell and she's bored. She tries torturing people, but that doesn't seem to make her happy. She finds out her favorite rock star, Briggy Bundy, is about to die, so she decides to give him a guided tour of his new home. The problem is that he isn't meant to be there, and now it's up to Cherry to keep him from being found out.

It was a weird kind of gro
Robert Bussie
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The plot of this story is unique. The devils grand daughter, Cherry who is about age 8-10, is a grim reaper. She is bored and wants a playmate. So, she brings a famous death metal rock star to hell. However, his stage act is faux. He does not belong in hell and does not want to play with her. He also does not belong their, so Cherry has to hide him from her grandfather, certain demons, and her mother who is the chief torture of hell.

I liked the original plot. Some of the jokes work and others fa
Paul Franco
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s the cute little kids that always get ya, even if they are the devil’s granddaughter. Make it a bored kid—named Cherry—with the power to harvest souls and you get a recipe for. . . well, whatever passes for a disaster in Hell. This ain’t no cuddly Dante story.
“What is that thing, and why is it. . . cute?” I feel ya, dude. I almost feel sorry for the poor death metal musician, though anyone who makes that kind of noise can’t expect much better.
Mom is about as hot as one can expect a horned de
Andreea
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was sent a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

The granddaughter of the devil is the biggest fan of a rock musician who is about to die. That is the premise of this comic book and tell me if it does not sound like a lot of fun?

I did expect myself to be really entertained by this book, because from the look of its cover it reminded me of "I Hate Fairyland", which is just as gorey and cute at the same time. However, I did not have fun reading it.

I am sure there are readers
Nikki
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, graphic-novels

I was getting total “I Hate Fairyland” vibes when I first picked up “Hellicious,” but it’s like getting the generic version of something that never quite lives up to the brand name. And that’s super disappointing. I would say, in style, “Hellicious” is there—the art is amazing and exactly what I wanted—absurd, graphic, cutesiness. It was the tone and story specifically that didn’t quite meet my expectations.
Theediscerning
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Think Skottie Young, as we read this childish-looking, but also gory, drama starring the devil's grand-daughter who wants a pet in hell, and chooses her favourite earthly celebrity. Although actually that should read 'half a drama' as there needed to be a lot more to this. It's not even a full arc. But what we get is reasonable enough.
Beth Younge
I found this slightly disappointing to read. It reminded me too much of I Hate Fairyland and was just a weaker version of it. It was just okay to read and even though Cherry was a fun protagonist,I just did not want to continue to her story. It is a fun read but can feel samey after a while.

I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Eli
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was actually a really fun read. I wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much as i did.
The rating for this is based on the graphic novels that I've read so far ( which aren't that much) but still I don't feel like I'm the best critic of graphic novel since I'm basically new.
Stephanie Cover2CoverBlog
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, adult
coming soon
Malina
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This comic is a wonderfully creepy-cute. I can't wait to read the next issue! ❤☠❤ ...more
Jenna Davis
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, graphic-novels
Meh. It was too choppy and didn’t flow that well. Plus, it’s a total I Hate Fairyland knockoff.
Brittany
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good fun! Along the same lines as I Hate Fairyland.
Randi
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Overall I like the concept and I like the style of drawing, but the story is just a bit too all over the place for me.
Lyndsay Keogh
Jun 08, 2019
Meghan
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
I received this book as an advanced reader's copy due to our expansion of our J Graphic novel collection and this one in particular caught our attention because it is something we've haven't seen before and the concept is very out of the box. I love the doodle-like illustrations that corresponded with the story and it really brought life to the characters and their intentions. This book also exemplifies how many rock stars befriend children of the devil and its hysterical how cherry wants a rock ...more
Nov 01, 2018
Brittany Smith
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel is weirdly adorable, considering it is about a young grim reaper who just wants a friend, but keeps underestimating how frail the dead people are and keeps accidentally “breaking” them.

gif

I love the artwork! It can be both slightly gross and incredibly cute all at the same time! This is my favorite picture of the whole book! Its so randomly cute with her eating Pizza in Hell, instead of the normal squirmy weird foods. (There are other scenes where she eats the weird food!) It rem
Heidi Hobson