Start by marking “How to Give Your Cat a Bath: In Five Easy Steps” as Want to Read:
How to Give Your Cat a Bath: In Five Easy Steps

How to Give Your Cat a Bath: In Five Easy Steps

In this hilarious and clever "how-to," a little girl and a know-it-all narrator are thwarted by a cat who refuses to take a bath. The perfect read-aloud for fans of Snappsy the Alligator and Interrupting Chicken.

Step one: fill the bath
Step two: put the cat in the bath
Step three: put shampoo on the cat
Step four: rinse the cat
Step five: dry the cat

Seems simple, right? One
Published January 22nd 2019 by Tundra Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Give Your Cat a Bath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Give Your Cat a Bath

Start your review of How to Give Your Cat a Bath: In Five Easy Steps
Jane
Ok, we're not even out of 2018 yet and I already have a very good contender for my favourite picture book for 2019. I do not think I even have the right words to explain how very much I enjoyed How to Give Your Cat a Bath. It's definitely going to take something pretty spectacular to top this one for me.

The premise here seems quite simple: a small girl is attempting to give her cat a bath based on instructions she's being given by an off-page narrator. Alas, what seems like a simple task turns
Christine
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks, net-galley
This is the first childrens book I have read since, well, since I was a child. I give myself credit for picking a good one with a little help from my Goodreads friend Jane. The full title of this little story is How to Give Your Cat a Bath: In Five Easy Steps. Now if you know anything about cats (and I currently have six of them), you know that NOTHING can be done to a cat in five easy steps. Thus, I was very intrigued going into this one. I just had to know what these five easy steps were!

MissBecka
This was really super cute!
The angry faces on the little one and clown like nose of the cat definitely contributed to my giggles in this simple story.

This book is something I could see becoming a fan favourite for bedtime stories with many tiny humans!
Thank you NetGalley and Penguin Random House Canada for this DRC.
Julie
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
The title grabbed me immediately as this book came across the Circulation Desk at the Library where I work and I just had to take it home! It is hilarious and will resonate with cat enthusiasts everywhere! The illustrations are both expressive and fun. Indeed, you can feel the chaos unfolding! This wonderful book is great for sharing.
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cats are not dogs.

And one normally does not give cats baths, the way you would a dog.

This is a picture book that takes that concept, along with the If You Give a Mouse a Cookie school of distraction, and has fun with it.

The little girl in this fun picture book, is trying to bathe her cat, but loses said cat, needs a cookie, finds cat, needs another cookie, and so on.

Fun pictures, and fun take on guide books, makes for a humous guidebook to bathing ones cat.

Highly recommended. Would make a
Jen
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Absolutely adorable little book! I think kids will get a kick out of finding the cat when it runs away. 4, cats are the best, stars!
Zoe's Human
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lt
This funny "how-to" picture book is meant for kids, but might be appreciated by cat lovers of any age. The art is bright and fun with little hidden treats (such as finding the cat when the child goes to look for it). Suitable for ages 3-7 and good for themes about cats or bathing.
Cheryl Gladfelter
Hysterically funny book about how to give your cat a bath. You'll need milk and cookies--trust me.

Thanks Erin for recommending it!
Steff Pasciuti
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I have to give Nicola Winstanley credit here, her book was pretty amusing and I can see loads of kids getting a real kick out of it. How to Give Your Cat a Bath in Five Easy Steps begins with a little girl, her cat, and an empty bathtub. What follows is a multitude of shenanigans all centered around a cat, water, and the lengths with which these fluffballs will go to avoid everything even slightly related to it. And so, of course, five steps aren't even possible, let alone five easy steps. I ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
First of all let me say, I do not, nor have I ever owned a cat. I thought this was a cute cover so requested a copy from the publisher. When I read it I couldn't stop giggling and smiling. I read it to my grandson, who has lived with two cats, and the first thing he said to me was "cats don't like water grandmama". Well the book backed up that statement.

This story seems pretty simple, a young girl wants to give her cat a bath based on instructions she's being given by an off-page narrator. What
Lacy
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Edit:
The physical final copy is just as good as the earc was. 💖

Original Review:
Have YOU ever tried to bath a cat? This book is laugh out loud hilarious! Seriously, I've been laughing for about five minutes. You have to have lots of patience and time to give a cat a bath. They're basically toddlers with four legs. This reminded me of those Disney commercials where the little girl is frantically trying to find the bathroom.

While How to Give Your Cat a Bath won't really help you give your cat a
Crystal
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I LOL'd
Becky
First sentence: How to Give Your Cat A Bath In Five Easy Steps. Step one: Fill the bathtub with warm water.

Premise/plot: So the plot is simple: a girl sets out to give her cat a bath. Are the five steps in this picture book really EASY? Maybe, maybe not. Okay definitely not. Is this one worth reading? YES. Especially if you're a cat lover.

My thoughts: This one was so cute and funny. I thought it was funny from start to finish. The text was fabulous. I especially love, love, love the ending.

Jan Polep
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
It ain't easy washing a cat...but this silly read-aloud is pitch perfect in showing what can go wrong. It has a perfect beginning and ending...cookies...and lot of mess in between. Was a hit in the pillow tent last night (with flashlight).
B.A. Wilson
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is absolutely hilarious. I laughed out loud while reading it. Its a spot on explanation for how to give a cat a bath, in a step by step format. Its so funny and clever, and it has a lot of voice for such a short book, with so little text. It perfectly conveys a variety of emotions and reactions, which adds a lot to the story.

This will be such a great read for a storytime group, because its so funny. The illustrations are delightful. Anyone who has met a cat, or owns a cat, can probably
This is so silly and fun. The illustrations start out sparse with the whole left side of the spread just text. As the hi-jinx grows, so too do the illustrations. As simple as the premise sounds, we all know that bathing a cat is not an easy experience. As you peruse the illustrations, they too seem very simple, but the more you look, the more little funny details you notice.

There are bits that make you think of the book If you Give A Mouse Cookie. It feels like a little nod to the classic story
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Preschool-Kindergarten
An omniscient narrator starts off this how-to guide with authority and certainty. That is until the girl on the page has trouble with the very first step. In true child and cat fashion, the narrator loses all control and focus from the two. It is perfect.

Reviewed by: Miss Kelsey, Youth and School Services, Vernon Area Public Library
Andrea Haas
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hysterical, and perfect for a storytime with children starting around 4-5 years old. If anyone has a cat, or loves cats and their antics, this is a book for you no matter how old you are!
Kimberly
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I lol'ed several times. Adorable.
Tricia
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, funny
Hahahaha, I LOVED this book! I especially like the step where you stop and have milk and cookies because you'll need to keep your energy up!
Kate
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute childrens picture book outlining the steps necessary to give a cat a bath. Of course, its never as simple as the five original steps! ...more
Amanda
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My four year old daughter wanted me to give this book 10 stars but I said the highest I could give it is was 5. My daughter loved the book and thought it was quite hilarious that the girl had to keep finding ways to get her cat, Mr. Flea, into the bathtub. I'm sure other preschoolers and early elementary kids will find delight and humor in the funny pictures and dialogue of the little girl trying to follow the 5 easy steps to give her cat a bath. The ending of the book is "purr"fect. I highly ...more
Theresa Grissom
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Netgalley for an ARC of this book.

I LOVED this picture book! This is a laugh out loud book that all cat owners will sympathize with. I will definitely be purchasing this for my elementary library. Students will get a kick out of this one.
Kelly
Feb 05, 2019 added it
Shelves: animals, 2019
I thought this book was just okay. The ending is pretty good, though.
joyce w. laudon
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Children who have cats as pets and/or adults who do will find this book to be fun and amusing. A little girl wants to give her cat a bath...we all know that cats are not on board for that. Read what happens while enjoying the illustrations in this quick story book read.
Wayne McCoy
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
'How to Give Your Cat a Bath: In Five Easy Steps' by Nicola Winstanley with illustrations by John Martz is a laugh out loud picture book about a task that is anything but easy.

Step One: Fill the bath with water, only works if you don't overfill the bath and have to start over. Putting your cat in the bath only works if the cat hasn't decided to bolt out of the bathroom. And it goes on from here to be a silly adventure about something that is anything from simple and complicated by things like
Cool_Moms_Read
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Who knew what adventures you'd pursue in trying to bathe your cat? If you have a cat, don't have a cat but have a sense of humor or have a child who loves to laugh then this book is for you! I think it needs to be categorized with adult literature as well because I found it hilarious and so did my toddler! The illustrations are so adorable and the main character has a quirky spirit. I identify with her character so much as I often find myself eating multiple cookies while engaging in difficult ...more
Lupe
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This was so funny! I hope it wins many awards!
Teresa Grabs
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Winstanley's tale of a little girl trying to give her cat a bath is hilarious in all the right ways. Her adventure includes an overflowing bathtub, plenty of cookies, a trashed house, and ends with her learning that her cat can keep itself clean. Martz's illustrations are cute and tell as much of a story as the words. Small children would find this book hilarious.

Thank you NetGalley and Penguin Random House - Tundra Books for the opportunity to read an advance reader copy.
Melissa Neufer
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a cat owner, I was already laughing when I read the title. Was certainly not disappointed with the book. I was laughing the whole time. Anyone who has a cat can relate to this tremendously. It described the life of a cat owner perfectly, including typical cat owner facial expressions and cat's behavior as well. The book went in the direction I thought it was going to and it was perfect. Highly recommend for a good laugh and read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Chicken Talk
  • Once Upon a Goat
  • There Are No Bears in This Bakery

News & Interviews

Mary Pauline Lowry knows a thing or two about being stuck at home when you don't want to be. After all, the premise of her newest novel, The Rox...