Start by marking “The Golden Tresses of the Dead (Flavia de Luce, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Golden Tresses of the Dead (Flavia de Luce, #10)

The Golden Tresses of the Dead

(Flavia de Luce #10)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  12,295 ratings  ·  1,727 reviews
Flavia de Luce, the twelve-year-old chemist and amateur detective "with better than an average brain," is eager to turn professional. She and her father's valet, Dogger, have founded a detective agency, Arthur Dogger & Associates, and unexpectedly cut into their first case during the revelry at her sister Ophelia's wedding reception.

After an eventful ceremony with a missin
Published January 22nd 2019 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Tresses of the Dead, please sign up.
Roberta About a month ago, Alan Bradley was asked in an interview how many books would be in the series and he answered "I don’t think that Flavia or I will e…moreAbout a month ago, Alan Bradley was asked in an interview how many books would be in the series and he answered "I don’t think that Flavia or I will ever run out of ideas." He also said "At first, I thought there would be three volumes…then six…then ten. I’ve just completed the tenth, and Flavia still wakes me up in the middle of the night with strange snippets and intriguing insights." (less)
Heather
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  12,295 ratings  ·  1,727 reviews

Start your review of The Golden Tresses of the Dead (Flavia de Luce, #10)
JanB
Despite her recent heartaches and troubles Flavia is still her usual precocious, chemistry-loving self, and she remains one of my very favorite fictional characters. Life is full of changes, and in this installment her sister Feely is getting married. The festivities grinds to a halt when a severed finger is found in the wedding cake. Feely faints dead away but, of course, Flavia is delighted at this turn of events. She surreptitiously whisks the finger away, and she and Dogger have a new case f ...more
Marni Port
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Perhaps Alan Bradley has tired of his ingenue, Flavia. Those of us who fell in love with Flavia in the earlier books have come to expect her effervescent personality, her deep curiosity, and the childish awkwardness that comes from having a brain much more advanced than her social/emotional skills.

Flavia expressed her usual love of all things science, but missing was the precociousness that made her so endearing in earlier books Frankly, she's mature compared to cousin Undine, who exhibits much
Judy Lesley
Our little girl is growing up and, frankly, I'm glad to see it. Flavia is still only 12 years old but life hasn't been kind to her so this is the book where she is allowed to grieve for all the heartaches in her young life. Add to that the marriage of her sister Ophelia and Flavia needed this investigation to get her through some tough times. Arthur W. Dogger & Associates, Discreet Investigations tells us all we need to know about where this book is headed. Dogger has always been one of my favor ...more
Kristy
Flavia's sister, Feely, is finally getting married. But at the wedding, as Feely and Dieter cut their cake, Feely slices into a human finger! How very Flavia! It's certainly a case for Arthur W. Dogger & Associates, with Flavia being the main associate, of course. And, not long after, the two are hired by a Mrs. Prill to help track down some missing letters. Flavia and Dogger barely know where to focus first. Then someone else winds up dead--with Flavia and Dogger in the thick of things--and thi ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
THE GOLDEN TRESSES OF THE DEAD starts off with Flavia's sister Ophelia getting married. Flavia is delighted when Ophelia discovers a severed human finger in the cake and she rushes away to examine it...Whose finger is it to and why has it been placed in the wedding cake?

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION!
Holly
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2018
Its so nice to catch up with Flavia:) After the death of her father and her oldest sister getting married, she and Dogger set up their own investigative agency. Something is up in Bishop's Lacey and Flavia sets out to find out what. Two missionaries from Africa are staying at Buckshaw but Flavia thinks there's something not right about the two ladies. Leave it to Flavia to be curious and want to "snoop". Her and Dogger are quite the team! It's no secret that I love Flavia and I'm always ready fo ...more
Cindy Rollins
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, 2019
I simply cannot give these books less than 4 stars at their worst. While the plot of this one left me scratching my head, I hardly cared. The pathos and love of Dogger and the all the old feelings and friends, the descriptions of Flavia as she changes and grows, the allusions and references to all my favorite books, all of these things made for a wonderful couple of days. Come back soon, Flavia.
Beth Cato
I received this galley via NetGalley. To be clear about my excitement about this 10th book in the Flavia series, let it be known that I stalked NetGalley for the past several weeks, checking every few days to see if this book had shown up yet. When it did appear, I immediately put in my request. When it was approved a few hours later, I squealed with glee.

So yeah, you might say my expectations were high.

The Golden Tresses of the Dead revives all of the best elements of the Flavia books. I say th
Lori
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
A great addition to the Flavia series. The detective team of Arthur W. Dogger & Associate (Flavia) brings something wholly new to the franchise. It's conceivable that Father asked Dogger to look after Flavia, and their interests and talents are very much in sync. As with most of the Flavia books, the mystery is less than compelling and in this case the resolution leaves important questions unanswered. But I can overlook that because I have low expectations for Bradley's mysteries and high expect ...more
Jeanette
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
So Flavia #10 is fun. Much funnier than the last few, for sure. I could have given it a 4 stars for the "growth" aspect of a few pages in which Flavia has the thought that hits her similar to St. Paul being struck off his horse on the road to Damascus for a dawning of "understanding" that she does and will need other people. If not now, eventually.

Saying that the plot is silly to ridiculous is why I can't go 4 stars after all is said and done though. Funny, filled with spoof type and hidden cavi
Elyse
NetGalley ARC.

I haven't listened to a Flavia audiobook since Speaking from Among the Bones but I still have Jayne Entwhistle's charming Flavia voice in my head. :) She's delightful, listen to the audiobooks!

Arthur W. Dogger & Associates. *swoon* I LOVE Dogger and Flavia so so much. Everyone seems to have moved on fairly well from the traumatic events of Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd. Feely's getting married, Daffy's working on her "memoirs," and Flavia, along with Dogger, has opened an amate
Wendi
So now we do (definitively: see here) have the final Flavia.

And it is quite... flat for me.

I'm never going to complain about a heavy focus on Dogger, which the tenth and final book in the Flavia series gifts us. Same with Gladys, who acted in the same endearing way she always does.

But they were the only two characters (other than Flavia herself) who were the most present originals; Flavia is virtually an orphan in this story, which is likely intentional and a pointed gesture to her growing up
Ashley

Flavia (and Dogger) continue to delight me. The mysteries continue to frustrate me. Will I continue to read this series (even though this was originally supposed to be the last book)? Most likely.

The book opens at Flavia's sister's wedding to the German POW Dieter. Feely finds a severed finger in her wedding cake. She loses it and almost ruins her own wedding; Flavia is fascinated, and quickly tucks the finger away. Whose finger is it? Who put it there? Why? Flavia and Dogger are on the case, w
Kevin
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adore Flavia De Luce! In a word, delightful! Do yourself a favor and start this series which begins with the brilliant and Edgar Award winning, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.”
DeB MaRtEnS
Flavia and Dogger have become an investigative duo in the latest addition, #10, in this now quite beloved series about the eccentric British family set somewhere in a decrepit castle, post-World War II, with its panoply of equally dotty characters, archaic attitudes and appearances which have seemed superficially either all daisies and wisteria or stiff upper lips.

In #10, the duo continue to entertain with the easy charm of all of Alan Bradley’s books. Flavia is a delightful heroine, a feisty y
Pam Baddeley
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After my slignt disappointment with the previous volume in this series, I believed to the end that this one was back on track. It begins with her elder sister's wedding and an unpleasant discovery in the cake, which leads Flavia and Dogger on an unofficial investigation. Soon enough, that investigation dovetails with the first official one of the Discreet Investigations firm which they agreed to set up at the end of the last book, now that Flavia has inherited her beloved Buckshaw. The scenes be ...more
Julie
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite simply, I loved it! Flavia is on top form and I truly enjoyed her detective work with Dogger and the camaraderie that they share. Narrator Jane Entwistle voices Flavia perfectly.
Katie  Hanna
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I believe so," Dogger said. "Yes, I believe you're quite right."

I loved it when Dogger talked to me like this. How cozy the world became, and how far away the troubles of everyday life. It was like being rocked in the cradle of knowledge, floating on the great calm sea of reason, suspended like a mote of dust in the sheer infinity of the universe.

Is there anything (I ask) better than a mysteriously well-educated valet and a precocious little girl putting their heads together to conduct chem
Kevin
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars
I love Flavia, a scheming poisoner who is so good and warmhearted deep down.
The books while dealing with all sorts of nefarious deeds hold a gentleness.

“She’s a very strange person,” I said.
Above a distant hill, rain slanted down in ruled lines from the black bottoms of a cloud that billowed up into towers of matchless white in the glorious sunshine above.
“Yes, she is,” Dogger agreed. “But when you come to think of it, Miss Flavia, we are all strange persons.”

Flavia continues to grow
Megan
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this 10th installment life for Flavia is full of changes. The most noticeable is her sister Feely's marriage. The more subtle is changes in Flavia herself as she is on the verge of becoming a teenager. Never fear though, Flavia is still a girl that loves chemistry and solving crimes. Imagine her excitement when a human finger is found in her sister's wedding cake! She views it as the perfect first case for her and Dogger to investigate, which unsurprisingly leads to the inevitable tangled and ...more
Karen R
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
12-year old Flavia is back with another crime to solve; this time when a severed finger is found in her sister’s wedding cake. Precocious chemist/whiz kid Flavia and wise mentor Dogger are on the case. I love everything about this great team, their shenanigans, banter and clever reasonings. Bradley is a master of witty dialogue and distinctive turn-of-phrase. Thanks to Random House Ballentine for the ARC in exchange for my honest review. Bradley never disappoints!
Mark Baker
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2019
The day has finally arrived – Flavia’s oldest sister is getting married. Considering how rocky her romantic life has been over the years, this is a bit surprising. The wedding is beautiful, but when the newlyweds go to cut the cake, they find a finger in the cake. How did it get there? Who did it belong to? Before Flavia can really dig into this case, she and Dogger get their first client for their new Arthur W. Dogger and Associates Discreet Investigations. A local woman has come in asking them ...more
Susan Johnson
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Flavia is back with the discovery of an embalmed finger in her sister's wedding cake. She, of course is delighted to discover it and with her faithful partner/valet, Dogger, she undertakes the investigation of just how that finger got there..

At 12, Flavia is even more isolated than ever. At orphan with her eldest sister getting married off, I worry about how she is going to cope with everything. I am frankly perplexed at how she lives alone with just her valet/partner and housekeeper to keep t
Rebecca
A new case – the first proper one for 12-year-old Flavia via “Arthur W. Dogger & Associates—Discreet Investigations” – begins at her older sister’s wedding reception, when the bride and groom cut the cake and find a severed human finger. Homeopathic-type potions, West African missionaries, and railway journeys to Brookwood Cemetery, a Victorian-era landmark, are major elements in what ensues.

Mrs. Mullet and Undine have somewhat expanded roles, while we don’t see much of Daffy and none of Feely (
Julie  Durnell
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: england-uk, mystery
Flavia is decidedly growing up, not so precocious as cunning, curious, observant and always erudite, especially in the chemistry field. Her sleuthing skills are well honed as she teems up with admirable Mr. Dogger, who instructs and keeps her centered in her lonely life without Father, and very little interaction with her sisters. Undine, as her younger cousin, is becoming very useful although she is quite unpredictable. Her relationships with Cynthia, the vicar's wife and most especially Antigo ...more
Alisha
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ongoing-series
I always enjoy an excursion into the world of Flavia de Luce, the chemistry whiz-kid and mystery-solver extraordinaire of rural 1950's England. The mystery in this installment took a back seat to the characters--and there were really only two to focus on, Flavia, and her father-figure/crime-solving-partner Dogger. These two interact beautifully, and Flavia continues to mature emotionally in small ways as she's growing up.
The book did suffer a bit from feeling TOO focused on just Flavia and Dogge
Caroline
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A big disappointment. I have really enjoyed the Flavia mysteries, but this one is a flat mess, in my opinion. The plot doesn’t hang together, Flavia is not her usual decisive confident self, the gruesome scheme behind the crimes doesn’t fit the series, extraneous characters contribute little to nothing to the story, and much was hard to follow.
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
Actual rating 3.5 stars.
Alena
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's as simple as this. I adore Flavia de Luce. Even 10 books into this series I never tire of her wit, loyalty and penchant for chemistry. Despite death following her closely, I feel like Bradley is tenderly writing a drawn-out coming of age more than a series of detective novels (although I enjoy that part too.)
I hope there will be more.
Donna
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Flavia is such a delight. I enjoy her antics, her family, and her own way of getting away with things. This one seemed a little more 'science-y' than the others, but this character pulls it off because she is just a little girl and she is always so tickled that she knows this stuff. She knows just how to utilize it to figure out the mystery.

I enjoyed the story line and how Dogger and Flavia worked together. Dogger is a solid influence and I liked that his role was bigger with this installment.

• The American Agent (Maisie Dobbs, #15)
  • A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)
  • Kingdom of the Blind (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #14)
  • The Black Ascot (Inspector Ian Rutledge #21)
  • The Department of Sensitive Crimes (Detective Varg, #1)
  • Love and Death Among the Cheetahs (Her Royal Spyness #13)
  • The Vanishing Man (Charles Lenox Mysteries #0.2)
  • The Colors of All the Cattle (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #19)
  • The Sentence is Death (Hawthorne, #2)
  • Riviera Gold (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, #16)
  • The Stone Circle (Ruth Galloway, #11)
  • A Dangerous Collaboration (Veronica Speedwell, #4)
  • To the Land of Long Lost Friends (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #20)
  • All the Devils Are Here (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #16)
  • Beating About the Bush (Agatha Raisin, #30)
  • The Stranger Diaries (Harbinder Kaur #1)
  • The Library of Lost and Found
  • The Satapur Moonstone (Perveen Mistry, #2)

With an education in electronic engineering, Alan worked at numerous radio and television stations in Ontario, and at Ryerson Polytechnical Institute (now Ryerson University) in Toronto, before becoming Director of Television Engineering in the media centre at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon, where

Flavia de Luce (10 books)
  • The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1)
  • The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag (Flavia de Luce, #2)
  • A Red Herring Without Mustard (Flavia de Luce, #3)
  • I Am Half-Sick of Shadows (Flavia de Luce, #4)
  • Speaking from Among the Bones (Flavia de Luce, #5)
  • The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches (Flavia de Luce, #6)
  • As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust (Flavia de Luce, #7)
  • Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd (Flavia de Luce, #8)
  • The Grave's a Fine and Private Place (Flavia de Luce, #9)

Articles featuring this book

A new year means new thrills and chills for mystery and thriller lovers. And in 2019 there are plenty of exciting new releases to keep...
“As we stepped forth side by side into the darkness, toward the waiting car, I thought of what a strange world it was, where life was lived pressed so tightly cheek to cheek with death: with so little space between, that they might well be one and the same thing.

But in the end, when you stop to think about it, we are, after all, no more than mere particles of dust, drifting alone together through eternity, and so it is pleasant to think that we have—in this way or that, for better or for worse—reached out and touched one another.

That, in the end, is what chemistry is all about, isn't it?”
6 likes