Start by marking “The Good Ones (Happily Ever After #1)” as Want to Read:
The Good Ones (Happily Ever After #1)

The Good Ones

(Happily Ever After #1)

A romance bookstore owner finds her own happily ever after with a single dad in a new romance series from the New York Times bestselling author of Every Dog Has His Day.

Ryder Copeland is an accomplished architect and one heck of a father...not to mention tall and sexy. He's everything a hero should be, and Lord knows, Maisy Kelly has read enough of her great-aunt Eloise's
Published February 5th 2019 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Good Ones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Ones

Cristina | CristiinaReads
EXCLUSIVE EXCERPT now up on my blog! Click here!

➳A single father in need of finding the connection he should have with his loved ones, and a shy bookstore owner who wants nothing more than to spread love to the world...

➳Can we talk about cowboy romances, especially ones that have your panties melting for more cherished characters and loving individuals such as Maisy and Ryder? Yes please! Let's talk about them because there is no denying that this is a romance novel that will have everyone h
Beth
Feel good, sweet and endearing romance with imperfect but marvelously real cast of characters. I found The Good Ones a highly enjoyable read. McKinlay writes a tale that had me laughing out loud and feeling the character's heart-aches.

I received this ARC copy of The Good Ones from Berkley Publishing Group. This is my honest and voluntary review. The Good Ones is set for publication Feb. 5, 2019.

My Rating: 5 stars
Written by: Jenn McKinlay
Series: Happily Ever After
Sequence in Series: 1
Mass Market
TeriLyn
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
**The Good Ones generously provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.**

4 "It's his 'She's the one' look." stars

This story from Jenn McKinlay, a new-to-me author, was a warm and feel good romance. It follows a second chance'esque trope with a shut down, single father of a teenage girl and a quirky, full of life woman who's inherited a lot of romance books and chooses to start over in her life at 29. It's a typical story from the genre, not particularly unique in it'
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: February 5, 2019
Genre: Contemporary Romance. Humor.
Actual Rating: 5 stars

Squee!!!! I freakin LOVED this book to PIECES. It's a story about a bookworm who decides to open up her own romance bookstore in the home that was given to her by her grandmother. And, seeing the home is old and needs a lot of work she hires a COWBOY from Texas to renovate the place!!! A Texas cowboy who also happens to be a single dad . Honestly, can the hero get any better than this?!? Ahh their love
Under the Covers Book Blog
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it

I’ve read a lot of different books from Jenn McKinlay and I have to say that I generally prefer her Cozy Mysteries to her Contemporary Romances. But that was before I read this book.

Amy
What's not to love ... a woman opening a romance only bookstore and the architect that she hires to help turn her house into a romance bookstore. Such a wonderful read. The hero, the heroine, the side characters - they are all just amazing. I couldn't put this one down. Sweet and lovely. I loved it all. I didn't want to put it down. I can't wait to read the next in the series.

NOTE: I received this book for free from the publisher for an honest review.
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

THE GOOD ONES is the first book in the Happily Ever After series and I gotta say, I really enjoyed this book! Both the hero and heroine turned out to be really cute and I enjoyed reading their interactions. The romance kind of happens unexpectedly and it was certainly a thrill to read.

That being said, this makes me
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

The Good Ones is the first in Jenn McKinlay’s new contemporary romance Happily Ever After series. What do you do when you inherit an old Victorian home that is full of books? You turn it into a bookstore, of course. When I first read the blurb for this story I knew I had to read it considering all the books were romance and the cover is absolutely gorgeous. The author has taken the best of what I love about the genre and has written an endearing, witty, sweet romance that makes me looking forwar
Saly
I am a bit ambivalent on this one as there was way too much push and pull here. The positives were many I liked the heroine, the hero's daughter and even the hero; but he was just too perfectly distant at times. The hero intends to move so anything between him and the heroine can only be temporary so they do their level best to resist their attraction. All in all I enjoyed this but didn't love it but am looking forward to the next one.
Kayla Brunson
This was my first read from Jenn McKinlay and it also looks like it was her first western romance. I hope this doesn’t come off a bit overcritical, but this needed some work.

Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t terrible. I’ve read WAY worse cowboy romances. The characters were likable, the plot was good, and the romance was fine. I felt like the writing and the way the author told the story together could have been better.

I liked the idea and premise of the story. However, I couldn’t find myself gett
Tammy  Zautner
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars

I’m seriously not sure how to rate this book. There were moments I loved and then there were the ones that drove me absolutely bonkers. Those moments being the never ending indecision. The should I or shouldn’t I. Some would call it push and pull. I’d call it annoying as hell. It didn’t make the book light and sweet, more like frustrating. It was unneeded contrived drama through 75% of the book.

I liked the main characters, to a point. They were fun, when they weren’t running, but I cou
 Reading In Pajamas
✦Review, Excerpt & Giveaway: THE GOOD ONES by Jenn McKinlay https://wp.me/p3d0RZ-b16
Publication Date: February 5, 2019
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Reviewed by: Reading in Pajamas/ Donna
Rated 5 Stars

This is a feel-good story from start to finish. Yes, Maisy and Ryder had their obstacles and felt the need to keep their distance, but nothing too angst ridden or frustrating for me. Maisy, her dreams for the bookstore, love of romance novels and optimism, connected me to her. I love the whole idea
Dawn Frazier
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!! Can't wait for the next one!!
Stacee
This is my first book from this author and I couldn’t resist the premise. I’m not entirely sure how I feel about this book and my rating might be too high.

I liked Maisey and Ryder well enough. They’re both smart and stubborn and have excellent conversation — when they actually talk, that is. I really liked Maisey’s BFF and Ryder’s daughter. Oh and of course the cat.

Plot wise, it was so slow. A lot of push and pull, a lot of inner monologue, and a lot of seemingly repetitive scenes. There were
Kimberly
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you @berkleyromance and @mckinlayjenn for a review copy of this book. I received it through the First to Read program with Penguin Random House. All opinions are my own. This charming contemporary romance will be available 2.5.19!

I adore Jenn McKinlay. She writes several of my very favorite cozy mystery series. It was so fun to read a different genre from her, but still find her witty, well developed characters, easy dialogue and realistic humor. I throughly enjoyed this book. It was just
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
Jenn McKinlay's The Good Ones is a romance lovers dream. Maisy Kelly inherits her great-aunt Eloise's three-story Victorian home in Fairdale, North Carolina. Not only is the house furnished, but it's stacked with books. Actually, that's an understatement. The house is a hoarder's paradise of books. Not your average run-of-the-mill books, but romance books. After leaving her teaching job at the local college, Maisy has the idea to convert the house into a romance book store. But in order to do th ...more
Rebecca
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
Thanks to the publisher, via Netgalley, for an advance e-galley for honest review!

Really enjoyed this series starter from Jenn McKinlay! I've enjoyed reading as Jenn has started writing romances, having been a long time fan of her cozies. Setting a romance novel around a character who is opening a romance themed bookstore is genius, and the characters were great in this one too. It was both funny and sweet, and the hints at what's to come in this series have me ready for more.
Deanna (Deanna Reads Books)
This review was originally posted on my review blog Deanna Reads Books

I don't usually read what I would consider traditional romance books, but that doesn't mean I am opposed to them. I tend to like YA romance books better just because there is less sex in them. I am not opposed to reading adult romance books, and I have started to consider that I actually do really like books where the main focus is on the romance. Here's the great thing about romance books that it took me a really long time t
Shari
I received this book for free from Publisher in exchange for an honest review.This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

The Delight

This story took a little bit to get into and then it lacked the heat I wanted to see for a story about a romance book store. The characters were likable, it just lacked the chemistry I felt it needed to be a good romance.

Review

Maisy Kelly has just dumped her married boyfriend, quit her job and lost her aunt, but that isn't stopping t
Kristin
Maisy has inherited her aunt's old house which just so happens to be overrun with books. As it turns out, her aunt was a bit of a romance book hoarder. Maisy decides to take what her aunt left her and turn it into something fun and exciting, a romance only bookstore. When she hired Ryder to help renovate the house and make her dream come true, she wasn't planning on falling in love. However, nothing goes as planned, especially when love is involved.

I loved the idea of a romance bookstore owner a
 Reading In Pajamas
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Publication Date: February 5, 2019
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Reviewed by: Reading in Pajamas/ Donna
Rated 5 Stars

Taryn
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this new book by McKinlay we are introduced to Maisy, a young woman who has just left her job as a professor due to a bad breakup. Having inherited her Aunts home she is looking toward the future and has decided to turn it into a romance book store. Ryder is a single father who is trying to give his daughter all the things he missed out on in life. He's an architect and will be doing the work turning Maisy's house into a bookstore. The two meet and there is an instant chemistry but Ryder isn' ...more
Jo Reads Romance
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Mixed feelings about this book
3 stars

This is the first book of Jenn McKinley’s that I have read and I can definitely see myself picking up others from her in the future - especially the next book in this series. Despite this, I had very mixed feelings about this particular book.

Firstly, the book is a standalone novel and the first in the Happy Ever After series. I’m hoping that the next book, The Christmas Keeper, features Savy and Quino who popped up - and shot major sparks off each other - i
meghann
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of Jenn McKinlay. I've loved every book I've read of hers, and this first book in a new series did not disappoint. I basically want Maisy's life. She lives in a beautiful old Victorian house that she renovated into a bookstore. Throw in an adorable kitty (based on and named after the author's real life rescue, King George), amazing friends and the easy on the eyes cowboy architect, Ryder... Where do I sign up?

Jenn (YeahOrNeighReviews)
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beta-arc, netgalley
I'm really fighting the urge to open up my own Romance Bookstore after reading this book! i have so much in common with Maisy Kelly, so this book captured my heart. You can't help but fall for Ryder Copeland during the story, as he's an adorable single father to a teenager (his daughter will run away with your heart too). Any storyline that includes animals or children, immediately has me captivated and hoping for a happily ever after. I loved this story and can't wait for more in the series!
Crystal ♥ RBtWBC
Cute premise, I liked the idea of the heroine opening a romance book store in her aunt' sold Victorian home. However, the story itself moved slowly and didn't quite hold my interest. There were several characters throughout the tale that were fun but I think they may have distracted from the main couple, as I never felt that spark of connection between them. Full review to come...
Anne Z.
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing doesn't being to describe it.
It was sweet, funny, charming and utterly romantic. Worth every minute of my time.

For a full review visit my blog: https://glimpsesofmybooks.blogspot.com
Isabel
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5*
Sionna
*I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. *

This is a difficult book to review. The story is adorable, the characters have cute quirks, and the romance wasn't instant, but it couldn't always hold my interest.

This book definitely has some laugh out loud moments and has characters with lots of personality. And there is some good writing here, but sometimes it felt like it was missing something. I have re-written this current sentence 10 times becau
Munira
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely beautiful. It's so well written I enjoyed every second of it, the moment I started reading I couldn't stop! It made me laugh and cry and all the good feelings. And the characters! Oh I loved the characters so much, I can't wait to meet them again.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Intercepting the Chef (How to Score, #1)
  • Best of Luck (Lucky #3)
  • Flare Up (Boston Fire, #6)
  • Rumor Has It (Real Love, #4)
  • Breathless (Yoga in the City #1)
  • All I Want For Christmas
  • Hot Pursuit
  • The Decoy Date (The Wedding Date #4)
  • Must Love Babies (Must Love Babies #1)
  • Snowy Nights at the Lonely Hearts Hotel
  • Hard To Stay (Hard #2)
  • Illegally Yours (Laws of Attraction, #2)
  • The Christmas Cowboy Hero (Heart of Texas, #1)
  • Baby on the Bad Boy's Doorstep (Shadow Creek, Montana, #4)
  • Can't Forget You (Risking it All, #3)
  • Storming the Castle
  • The Breakup (The Jordan Brothers)
  • Suddenly Mine (Montgomery Brothers, #8)
Jenn is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of several mystery series and will be debuting a new women's fiction series in June 2017, starting with the title About a Dog. She lives in sunny Arizona in a house that is overrun with kids, pets and her husband's guitars.

Happily Ever After (2 books)
  • The Christmas Keeper