Start by marking “The Good Ones (Happily Ever After, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Good Ones (Happily Ever After, #1)

(Happily Ever After #1)

A romance bookstore owner finds her own happily ever after with a single dad in a new romance series from the New York Times bestselling author of Every Dog Has His Day.

Ryder Copeland is an accomplished architect and one heck of a father...not to mention tall and sexy. He's everything a hero should be, and Lord knows, Maisy Kelly has read enough of her great-aunt Eloise's
Published February 5th 2019 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Good Ones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Ones

Start your review of The Good Ones (Happily Ever After, #1)
Cristina | CristiinaReads
EXCLUSIVE EXCERPT now up on my blog! Click here!

➳A single father in need of finding the connection he should have with his loved ones, and a shy bookstore owner who wants nothing more than to spread love to the world...

➳Can we talk about cowboy romances, especially ones that have your panties melting for more cherished characters and loving individuals such as Maisy and Ryder? Yes please! Let's talk about them because there is no denying that this is a romance novel that will have everyo
Beth
Feel good, sweet and endearing romance with imperfect but marvelously real cast of characters. I found The Good Ones a highly enjoyable read. McKinlay writes a tale that had me laughing out loud and feeling the character's heart-aches.

I received this ARC copy of The Good Ones from Berkley Publishing Group. This is my honest and voluntary review. The Good Ones is set for publication Feb. 5, 2019.

My Rating: 5 stars
Written by: Jenn McKinlay
Series: Happily Ever After
Sequence in Series: 1
Mass Market
TeriLyn
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
**The Good Ones generously provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.**

4 "It's his 'She's the one' look." stars

This story from Jenn McKinlay, a new-to-me author, was a warm and feel good romance. It follows a second chance'esque trope with a shut down, single father of a teenage girl and a quirky, full of life woman who's inherited a lot of romance books and chooses to start over in her life at 29. It's a typical story from the genre, not particularly unique in it'
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I had a wonderful time with this book! Having read several of Jenn McKinlay's contemporary romances, I was eager to give this book a try. I was not disappointed. This was one of those books that I didn't want to stop reading once I got started. Too bad life got in the way. I did enjoy every moment that I spent with this charming story.

Maisy has inherited her aunt's old Victorian home which happens to be full of romance novels. She ha
1-Click Addict Support Group
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sweet, quirky, fun small town romance!

Does that sound like a great read? I hope so because Ryder and Maisy’s romance was a straight up heart-happy story that had a (delightful) old-fashioned air about it. Not that it didn’t have heat. Oh, it had that as well. There was everything to enjoy in this rollicking tale of a house renovation and a love of romantic tales that bound a whole host of intriguing characters together…

Maisy was back home starting a new chapter in her life, building a business,
Susan
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, rabf

Jenn McKinlay

Wow, all I can say is, this story blew me away! Keep the tissues close by as you are reading THE GOOD ONES by Jenn McKinlay. She will have your emotions all over the place. Once I started reading, it was very hard to stop! The twists and turns made it impossible to put down, as I had to know what was going to happen to Ryder and his daughter, Perry after so much heartache! What an awesome story. All of Jenn's characters feel genuine and relatable and put your emotions o
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: February 5, 2019
Genre: Contemporary Romance. Humor.
Actual Rating: 5 stars

Squee!!!! I freakin LOVED this book to PIECES. It's a story about a bookworm who decides to open up her own romance bookstore in the home that was given to her by her grandmother. And, seeing the home is old and needs a lot of work she hires a COWBOY from Texas to renovate the place!!! A Texas cowboy who also happens to be a single dad . Honestly, can the hero get any better than this?!? Ahh their love
Victoria Scott
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the first romance I've ever read where I could hardly wait for the next one to drop. I want to live in the world McKinlay created. This book wasn't just good; it literally opened up an entirely new genre that I didn't know I wanted. If that isn't phenomenal writing, I don't know what is.
mindful.librarian ☀️
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Adorable! Despite the cover, this is NOT a western romance - it’s set at a romance bookstore and I just love all the bookish details throughout the story. I’ll definitely continue with the series!
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

I’ve read a lot of different books from Jenn McKinlay and I have to say that I generally prefer her Cozy Mysteries to her Contemporary Romances. But that was before I read this book.

THE GOOD ONES is the first book in the Happily Ever After series and I gotta say, I really enjoyed this book! Both the hero and heroine turned out to be really cute and I enjoyed reading their interactions. The romance kind of happens unexpectedly and it was certainly a thrill to read.

That being said, this makes
Amy
What's not to love ... a woman opening a romance only bookstore and the architect that she hires to help turn her house into a romance bookstore. Such a wonderful read. The hero, the heroine, the side characters - they are all just amazing. I couldn't put this one down. Sweet and lovely. I loved it all. I didn't want to put it down. I can't wait to read the next in the series.

NOTE: I received this book for free from the publisher for an honest review.
Christa
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook-arc
This book! It was so good that I don't even have the words to convey all that I felt about it! I've been a fan of Jenn McKinlay's cozy mysteries, and they're great, but she can really write the romance!

In this story, Maisy Kelly decides to convert the Victorian house she inherited into a bookstore. Enter Ryder Copeland. He's a handsome cowboy, protective single dad, and architect. The romance between these two was sweet and touching. The hero's fourteen year old daughter, Perry, added a great la
Saly
I am a bit ambivalent on this one as there was way too much push and pull here. The positives were many I liked the heroine, the hero's daughter and even the hero; but he was just too perfectly distant at times. The hero intends to move so anything between him and the heroine can only be temporary so they do their level best to resist their attraction. All in all I enjoyed this but didn't love it but am looking forward to the next one.
Kayla Brunson
This was my first read from Jenn McKinlay and it also looks like it was her first western romance. I hope this doesn’t come off a bit overcritical, but this needed some work.

Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t terrible. I’ve read WAY worse cowboy romances. The characters were likable, the plot was good, and the romance was fine. I felt like the writing and the way the author told the story together could have been better.

I liked the idea and premise of the story. However, I couldn’t find myself gett
Tammy  Zautner
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars

I’m seriously not sure how to rate this book. There were moments I loved and then there were the ones that drove me absolutely bonkers. Those moments being the never ending indecision. The should I or shouldn’t I. Some would call it push and pull. I’d call it annoying as hell. It didn’t make the book light and sweet, more like frustrating. It was unneeded contrived drama through 75% of the book.

I liked the main characters, to a point. They were fun, when they weren’t running, but I cou
Stacee
This is my first book from this author and I couldn’t resist the premise. I’m not entirely sure how I feel about this book and my rating might be too high.

I liked Maisey and Ryder well enough. They’re both smart and stubborn and have excellent conversation — when they actually talk, that is. I really liked Maisey’s BFF and Ryder’s daughter. Oh and of course the cat.

Plot wise, it was so slow. A lot of push and pull, a lot of inner monologue, and a lot of seemingly repetitive scenes. There were
Rebecca
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, home-library
This was such a cute romance story with a happily ever after (THANK GOODNESS because it was touch and good for a bit).

First of all - inheriting a beautiful old house filled with books, opening a bookstore and meeting a handsome guy along the way?!? Does that not sound like the most perfect fairytale? Well it did to Maisy too - except when she finds out that Ryder is adamant that he is not a good guy for a relationship. After a bit of flirting and a passionate kiss, Maisy finds out that Ryder and
 Reading In Pajamas
✦Review, Excerpt & Giveaway: THE GOOD ONES by Jenn McKinlay https://wp.me/p3d0RZ-b16
Publication Date: February 5, 2019
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Reviewed by: Reading in Pajamas/ Donna
Rated 5 Stars

This is a feel-good story from start to finish. Yes, Maisy and Ryder had their obstacles and felt the need to keep their distance, but nothing too angst ridden or frustrating for me. Maisy, her dreams for the bookstore, love of romance novels and optimism, connected me to her. I love the whole idea of t
Dawn Frazier
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!! Can't wait for the next one!!
Kimberly
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Thank you @berkleyromance and @mckinlayjenn for a review copy of this book. I received it through the First to Read program with Penguin Random House. All opinions are my own. This charming contemporary romance will be available 2.5.19!

I adore Jenn McKinlay. She writes several of my very favorite cozy mystery series. It was so fun to read a different genre from her, but still find her witty, well developed characters, easy dialogue and realistic humor. I throughly enjoyed this book. It was just
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
Jenn McKinlay's The Good Ones is a romance lovers dream. Maisy Kelly inherits her great-aunt Eloise's three-story Victorian home in Fairdale, North Carolina. Not only is the house furnished, but it's stacked with books. Actually, that's an understatement. The house is a hoarder's paradise of books. Not your average run-of-the-mill books, but romance books. After leaving her teaching job at the local college, Maisy has the idea to convert the house into a romance book store. But in order to do th ...more
OpenBookSociety.com
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: daniele

Happily Ever After #1
By Jenn McKinlay
ISBN# 9780451492432
Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Daniele

Synopsis:

Ryder Copeland is an accomplished architect and one heck of a father…not to mention tall and sexy. He’s everything a hero should be, and Lord knows, Maisy Kelly has read enough of her great-aunt Eloise’s romance novels to recognize one when she sees one. But like all fairy tales, Maisy can’t help but wonder if this
Rebecca
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
Thanks to the publisher, via Netgalley, for an advance e-galley for honest review!

Really enjoyed this series starter from Jenn McKinlay! I've enjoyed reading as Jenn has started writing romances, having been a long time fan of her cozies. Setting a romance novel around a character who is opening a romance themed bookstore is genius, and the characters were great in this one too. It was both funny and sweet, and the hints at what's to come in this series have me ready for more.
Crystal ♥ RBtWBC
The Good Ones is a cute contemporary romance that is sure to endear itself to fans of the sub-genre with it's cozy setting, lighthearted banter, and charming characters.

Maisy Kelly hasn't had it easy lately, but she knows that converting her aunt's old Victorian home into a romance book store is just the change she needs to turn her life around. When Ryder Copeland walks through her door, Maisy doesn't bother obtaining quotes for the restoration from any other company. She knows that this cowboy
Munira
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely beautiful. It's so well written I enjoyed every second of it, the moment I started reading I couldn't stop! It made me laugh and cry and all the good feelings. And the characters! Oh I loved the characters so much, I can't wait to meet them again.
Dee
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted on my review blog Deanna Reads Books

I don't usually read what I would consider traditional romance books, but that doesn't mean I am opposed to them. I tend to like YA romance books better just because there is less sex in them. I am not opposed to reading adult romance books, and I have started to consider that I actually do really like books where the main focus is on the romance. Here's the great thing about romance books that it took me a really long time t
Shari
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from Publisher in exchange for an honest review.This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

The Delight

This story took a little bit to get into and then it lacked the heat I wanted to see for a story about a romance book store. The characters were likable, it just lacked the chemistry I felt it needed to be a good romance.

Review

Maisy Kelly has just dumped her married boyfriend, quit her job and lost her aunt, but that isn't stopping
Kristin
Maisy has inherited her aunt's old house which just so happens to be overrun with books. As it turns out, her aunt was a bit of a romance book hoarder. Maisy decides to take what her aunt left her and turn it into something fun and exciting, a romance only bookstore. When she hired Ryder to help renovate the house and make her dream come true, she wasn't planning on falling in love. However, nothing goes as planned, especially when love is involved.

I loved the idea of a romance bookstore owner a
 Reading In Pajamas
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Publication Date: February 5, 2019
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Reviewed by: Reading in Pajamas/ Donna
Rated 5 Stars

Taryn
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this new book by McKinlay we are introduced to Maisy, a young woman who has just left her job as a professor due to a bad breakup. Having inherited her Aunts home she is looking toward the future and has decided to turn it into a romance book store. Ryder is a single father who is trying to give his daughter all the things he missed out on in life. He's an architect and will be doing the work turning Maisy's house into a bookstore. The two meet and there is an instant chemistry but Ryder isn' ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Playing for Keeps (Heartbreaker Bay, #7)
  • Wrapped Up in You (Heartbreaker Bay, #8)
  • Shot Through the Hearth (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #7)
  • Puppy Love (Forever Home, #1)
  • Big Chance Cowboy
  • The Charmer in Chaps (Princes of Texas, #1)
  • Lucky Chance Cowboy
  • Murder in the Reading Room (Book Retreat Mysteries, #5)
  • The Cowboy Next Door (Montana Strong, #2)
  • The Whole Package (Veteran Movers #1)
  • You Had Me at Cowboy (Cowboys of Creedence #2)
  • Jackson (The McBrides of Texas #1; Eternity Springs #16)
  • Meant to Be Yours (Happily Inc, #5)
  • The Book Supremacy (Bibliophile Mystery, #13)
  • Walk Me Home (Silverlake Ranch #1)
  • Something Read, Something Dead (Lighthouse Library Mystery, #5)
  • A Killer Carol (An Amish Mystery #7)
  • My Favorite Cowboy (Heart of Texas #3)
Jenn is the New York Times, USA Today, and Publisher's Weekly bestselling author of several mystery and romance series and will be debuting a stand alone romantic comedy in July 2020 entitled PARIS IS ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA. She lives in sunny Arizona in a house that is overrun with kids, pets and her husband's guitars.

Happily Ever After (2 books)
  • The Christmas Keeper (Happily Ever After, #2)