Start by marking “The Waning Age” as Want to Read:
The Waning Age

The Waning Age

In a parallel present San Francisco, Natalia Peña works as a hotel maid, practices martial arts, and cares for her eleven-year-old brother, Calvino. In this version of our world, all children start to "wane" when they reach Cal's age; by their teen years, they've lost their ability to feel emotion. But Cal isn't waning. When a mysterious corporation kidnaps him for testing ...more
Expected publication: February 5th 2019 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Waning Age, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Waning Age

Miri ♪ Book Dragoness ♪
Thank you to my librarian and Penguin Teen for this ARC. All opinions stated here are my own. I received this ARC to help decide whether my library should add it to their YA collection.

My verdict: well...I'm not sure actually. Though my rating is pretty low (2.5 stars) I also want to acknowledge that this probably wasn't my cup of tea. Dystopia is a genre I normally don't read, after all, and I prefer fantasy. Still, I picked The Waning Age up in the hopes that I might enjoy as much as I did whi
Katherine Moore
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, 2018-read
It's present-day San Francisco, and ’The Waning Age’ is 10 years old. This means that at that age, it's expected that you will lose your ability to feel emotions. You will not only lose the ability to feel sadness, but also joy and everything in between.

Natalia Peña is the main character in this engaging novel, written as dated entries in a journal, and she has already waned. But her younger brother Calvino, who she calls Cal, has not, and he doesn't seem to show any signs that he will. Since th
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
This sounds interesting, I also happen to have a younger brother Calvin so reading the name Calvino definitely made me think of him
Kate Willis
Jul 31, 2018 marked it as to-read
Wait, there's a cover now???? I love it. :D
Sami
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Black Mirror-esque standalone with terrific worldbuilding, The Waning Age will appeal to anyone with a taste for the unusual. Nat, a maid in a futuristic city, cares for her younger brother diligently and devotedly, despite the fact that her "waning" means she is devoid of emotion. When her brother is abducted, Nat is confused by the determination that arises in her but there's only one solution: to get him back.
Devon H
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book reminded me of the books I was drawn into as a kid, but more mature. I remember being enveloped in the concept of the book, and enthralled with the characters. This is a feeling I haven't felt often lately, but this book definitely fulfilled those needs. Grove is masterful in finding and drawing out emotions, drawing readers into the world of her characters.

Natalia Pena and her brother Calvino live in modern day San Francisco. However, the world is not the same as we experience it; in
Jenni Frencham
Grove, S.E. The Waning Age. Viking BYR, 2019.

In present-day San Francisco but in a parallel universe, people start to "wane," that is, stop experiencing emotions, around the age of ten. Natalia works at a hotel as a maid and takes care of her little brother Calvino at night. Calvino is ten, but he shows no sign of waning. And when a legal loophole allows him to be taken by a corporation that produces artificial emotions for adults, Natalia will do everything she can to get her brother back.

I lov
Aoife
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a2, a3e, feb, nyp, viking, 2018
I wasn't too sure about this one going in, and the first couple of chapters didn't help, but when this story got going, it really got going. I couldn't put it down after a certain point. The idea is intriguing, not one I've seen before, the characters are interesting, and things are wrapped up well, with just a couple of loose strands if the author ever wanted to return to this world. A fantastic read.

"You've kept me out of this every step of the way. I will only hald believe it when you say it'
Ashleigh P
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't love it but didn't hate it.

I thought the idea was interesting and actually very probable. If we lived in an emotionless society I think it would be a lot like what she imagines. Natalia is a pretty level headed and somewhat fearless big sister who has an amazingly intelligent and emotionally aware little brother. I really enjoyed their journey and the other characters they meet along the way. The ending did make me tear up a bit.

This ARC was loaned to me; I don't know that I would hav
Hannah
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received an ARC at YALL Fest! The premise of this book is really interesting. Adults can't feel emotions, and children start to wane around 10 years old. However, the story just didn't draw me in. I feel like more could have been done plot-wise in such an interesting world.
Rachel
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received this ARC at NYCC* I had not intended to read this in a single day, but once I picked it up I couldn't put it down!
Jacki
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good glimpse at what the world would be like if we all lost our empathy and emotions. Readers of Uglies would like this book. For high school audiences and up. Some gory stuff and suicide.
Karin
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian, teen, realistic
Really interesting alt-contemporary/quasi-dystopian in a world where humans lose the ability to feel emotion by adolescence - except for the younger brother of the main character who is then kidnapped for study. Big sis, who models her emotions on Marlowe, sets out to get him back. Enjoyed the plot, enjoyed the relationships, and made me reflect a bit on human nature and society.
Hesione
May 21, 2018 marked it as to-read
baby, is this real? s.e. grove is writing OLDER YA FANTASY???? I LOVE YOU MS. GROVE.
Peggy