Start by marking “Escaping Hitler: Heroic True Stories of Great Escapes in Nazi Europe” as Want to Read:
Escaping Hitler: Heroic True Stories of Great Escapes in Nazi Europe

Escaping Hitler: Heroic True Stories of Great Escapes in Nazi Europe

‘I was on a train, and a German soldier began shouting at me and poking me in the ribs with his machine gun. I just thought that was it, the game was up . . .’Downed airman Bob Frost faced danger at every turn as he was smuggled out of France and over the Pyrenees. Prisoner of war Len Harley went on the run in Italy, surviving months in hiding and then a hazardous climb ...more
Published July 1st 2018 by Pan Books (first published September 21st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Escaping Hitler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escaping Hitler

Start your review of Escaping Hitler: Heroic True Stories of Great Escapes in Nazi Europe
Xanthi
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn’t easy reading. It took me a while to finish this book because I could only read it in bursts. Well worth the effort, however. My knowledge of WW2 POW escapes is pretty limited so this book was an education. I found the section about Italy especially interesting and moving. I really liked how the book moved between the retelling of these escape stories, and the author’s travels and treks of the locations, decades later. But best of all we’re the reunions/meetings of escapees or their ...more
Miles
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Wonderful book that accompanies the Channel 4 series WWII's Great Escapes : The Freedom Trails. Having read the book and watched the final episode in the series, the book is a gripping companion to the series and fills in the gaps the television series simply cannot do. It's impossible to add all the information into a 40 minute episode and this is where books always win out.

Very well written, the book is both emotive and informative and along the way we are introduced to prisoners of war who
Joy Ashwell Callaway
3.5 Stars

This novel by Monty Halls is thoroughly researched and deserves credit. His interest and respect for the men that he writes about is apparent.
I had no idea about the freedom trails and the massive strength and endurance needed to successfully escape. Halls also shows this by relaying his own experiences on the trails himself. He continuously reiterates the dangers of what these prisoners of war went through.

I gave this book 3.5 stars because although I did find it super interesting, I
Costa Panayi
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first read about escape stories from WW2 was really interesting! They were gripping at times, a nice variety of accounts from different survivors/saviours, and some horrors of the war described in this book are hard to fathom as well!

Overall a great read
Jan Stamos
Interesting read, though tedious.
Christopher Legg
Loved it, well written and the stories come alive.
Eugene Kala
May 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Gives you insight into the least explored area of WW2. Could be more detailed though.
Noah Dommaschk
Sep 17, 2018
R W Eyre
Jan 01, 2018

• Exile (Marc Dane #2)
  • Homeland (Little Brother, #2)
  • The Grand Design
  • Keeper of the Lost Cities (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #1)
  • El Deafo
  • Erebus: The Story of a Ship
  • The Square and the Tower: Networks and Power, from the Freemasons to Facebook
  • Divided House (Dark Yorkshire #1)
  • Ugly
  • Deadly Sands: An Inspector West Short Story (Inspector West, #0.5)
  • The Little Prisoner
  • We Die Alone: A WWII Epic of Escape and Endurance
  • Fools and Mortals
  • The Prison Doctor
  • Only Killers and Thieves
  • Evil Empire: John Gilligan, His Gang and the Execution of Journalist Veronica Guerin
  • Indianapolis: The True Story of the Worst Sea Disaster in U.S. Naval History and the Fifty-Year Fight to Exonerate an Innocent Man
  • Seven Years in Tibet