Start by marking “His Dark Magic” as Want to Read:
His Dark Magic

His Dark Magic

(Northern Circle Coven #1)

Its power is legendary. It can fulfill every impossible magical desire. But for one young witch seeking redemption, the Northern Circle coven will challenge her skills—and her heart—beyond measure.

One tragic impulsive mistake made Chloe Winslow an outcast to her influential magic family. As a medical student, she wants to combine science with sorcery to heal those she hur
Published December 11th 2018 by Lyrical Press

To ask other readers questions about His Dark Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Dark Magic

Start your review of His Dark Magic
Carrie
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
His Dark Magic by Pat Esden is the first book of the Northern Circle Coven series. This series is a romantic paranormal fantasy with characters in the new adult age range.

Chloe Winslow is a young witch that is approached with the offer of joining the Northern Circle Coven. After a traumatic event in her past Chloe is lured into all of what the coven seems to be offering along with being attracted to one of it’s members.

Despite numerous warnings from family and friends Chloe finds herself going t
Carlene Inspired
Find this review and others at Carlene Inspired.

Chloe Winslow wants a fresh start in Vermont, an opportunity to be the version of herself she knows she can be, all while studying medicine in hopes of righting the wrongs of her past. As a witch who is unaware of her true strength, Chloe is invited to the mysterious Northern Circle Coven, with their high priestess offering her the chance to harness her powers. Chloe finds herself crushing on fellow coven member, Devlin, with her lust for him and h
K. Lincoln
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review. Truthfully, I am already an Esden fan from her prior Dark Heart series (love me the djinn). So I was looking forward to falling in love with a new set of new adults discovering their power and walking the edge of darkness and light.

Chloe made a mistake that lead to a tragedy. Now she's just at school in Burlington, VT trying to pick up the pieces of her life and make a career in medicine to find a way to atone.

But Chloe is a witch. While her ab
Laura (Bookie_mama_bear)
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
✨ BOOK REVIEW ✨
Magic!!! 🖤
It’s been a long time since I read a book about witchcraft. His Dark Magic, is a book about craft, betrayal, friendship and family. I really loved the premise of this story, merging the old folklore tales with something so up to date. The main character, Chloe, has a very tortured but good soul and she is really likeable and relatable. Desperate to fit in and to prove she is better than her previous mistakes.
The writing is lovely, very short chapters, fast paced and exc
Sandi Ward
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of the Northern Circle Cover series, and it delivers witches, romance, suspense and action. A fun read for fans of modern-day paranormal/supernatural stories!
Nicole Levy
Sometimes you just need a solid witch paranormal and man, does Pat Esden deliver with His Dark Magic!

Chloe and Devlin have immediate chemistry, but Esden takes time to develop their relationship. There's a great balance of romance (and related intrigue), friendships (I loved Chloe's apartment mates and Keshari), and general witchiness and mystery. Something's clearly off, and the signs are there but delivered subtlely enough to keep you guessing.

This book is a standalone within the interconnect
Chase Hackett
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is way outside my normal reading—and it was a really fun foray into a new genre. Witches and demons running loose on a Vermont campus—what more could you want? The book kept me up way later than I wanted on more than one occasion. The entire second half of the book was really compelling stuff, shifting between taut suspense and really exciting action.

Loved this one.
Roxanne
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Lyrical Press and Netgalley for a copy of the eARC in exchange for a fair review.

Chloe has recently moved to Vermont to go to school, and she is surprised by an early morning visit with a magical invitation. Chloe is excited at the prospect of redeeming herself and joining a new coven. Plus it doesn't hurt that Devon is sexy and interesting.

Soon Chloe finds herself caught up in a relationship with Devon and trying to fit in within the Northern Circle, when she finds out that they wa
Dan
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This massively entertaining blend of magic, intrigue, and romance kicks off a new series for author Pat Esden, and if this first entry is any indication, this is one to watch!

HIS DARK MAGIC is a well-crafted and cleverly plotted urban fantasy, and fans of the genre should love this first entry in the Northern Circle Coven series. (I'll be picking up the second book in the series right after I finish this review-- I'm intrigued by the way Esden planted the seeds for book 2 without ever distractin
Angel Hatfield
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Chloe went to her altar in her window and lit a candle and started to chant. There was a sense of forbidding in the air, a whisper and a chill a witch like her could not ignore. Someone else with powers was near. They were thinking about her- at least that is what her intuition murmured. Chloe went to the top of the stairs outside of her small apartment Than she heard sounds like someone had leaned into the front door. Than something was put through the mail slot followed by a hum of magic. Chlo ...more
Katherine Paschal
Chloe is trying to start her life over away from the demons of her past. She works hard at school to one day become a doctor and and be capable to right her wrongs. When she receives an unexpected invitation to join the local coven, she has her doubts- made worse by the rumors surrounding the coven. But when she learns to coven's goal to master healing with magic, there is no way she can't join. Unfortunately, not everything is as it first seemed.

I loved Pat's previous books, The Dark Heart ser
Deborah E Kehoe
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Chloe comes from a magical family but a tragic accident from her past has brought shame down upon her and she has escaped away to college in Vermont to re-evaluate and recover her self confidence. When she is approached by the handsome Devlin to come and check out the Northern Circle Coven Chloe is hesitant, but decides to take a chance and meet with them. She is excited to learn that their purposes align, to use magic to heal, and she agrees to join their group.

Athena, the high priestess of th
Nicole Kelleher
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Couldn’t put it down!
I was lucky enough to get an ARC copy of Pat Esden’s latest book, the first in her new Northern Circle Coven Series. From the very first pages, I was drawn into the heroine’s story. Chloe is young woman driven to correct the wrongs of her past, even at the expense of darkening her own soul. I love a character who is willing to be a little bad if it’s for the greater good.

Stir in some dark magical forces, a clever and subtle description of the differences between Wiccans and
Becky Baldridge
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
His Dark Magic has some absolutely excellent world building with wonderfully descriptive settings. That combined with magic and a bit of darkness should've made this one perfect for me. In spite of that, I felt like the first half of this book was spent just waiting for things to really get started, then the second half rushes to conclusion. The story does have good bones, and the blurb promises quite the tale. Yet, despite all that, we get other woman drama. The author does have talent, but thi ...more
CL
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun read to start the New Year! Chloe is instantly relatable with her devastating history and burning determination to right her mistakes, and this carries her through the storyline right to the end. I love her unswerving devotion to resolving her past, and her devotion to her friends. The setting feels lived in and the details authentic, and the eerie atmosphere hooked me right away, growing in tension from start to finish. The location almost feels like a character itself – I l ...more
Myreadbooks
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Kensington Publishing Corporation and Netgalley for this partnership.

I was immediately attracted by the cover of this book, you can see the pretty Chloe with her face in the sky above a forest.

She is a young witch in search of redemption, the Nordic Circle assembly wants to test her to test her skills and her heart.

She made a tragic mistake and became a pariah for her family. She is a medical student and wants to combine witchcraft and studies to heal all those she hurts an
Maria Hunt
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
His Dark Magic is quite a suspenseful and intriguing read. From the beginning I was curious about Chloe's past and the draw of the Northern Circle. The chemistry between her and Devlin was immediate yet I was on the fence about if things were really as they appeared. Their story definitely took some unexpected twists and turns that kept me guessing and by the end I wasn't sure how everything would play out. With a great blend of romance, suspense, intrigue, interesting characters and a steady, f ...more
Janet Walden-West
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an exciting addition to the Northern Circle series, and acts as a stand-alone for new readers.

The author does a fantastic job of balancing a twisty-turny mystery plot, complex world building, and a slower-burn romance. Chloe and Devlin have an immediate connection, but after already making one life-altering mistake, Chloe takes her time before committing, and Devlin gives her that room to make her choice.

The two get closer as they discover the Coven's real agenda, and Chloe grows as a pe
Mark Hughes
Mar 27, 2020 rated it liked it
The target audience is obviously younger than me, I suspect it is aimed at late teens to early twenties. As a 59 year old it felt one paced, something I find common with a lot of American authors.

The story itself was okay, not great, but interesting none the less. One thing that was mentioned, but not developed, was Chloe's power upgrade.

I actually found the sample of the second book in the series more interesting (Kindle edition).

Would I read the next book? Yes, I probably would.
Cat C
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received a copy of this in a Goodreads giveaway and it has not affected my review.

The writing was descriptive and atmospheric and set a dark tone. I read this at least a month ago and don't remember much, just that it was more of a creepy paranormal than the romance I was looking for. But given the cover and the book description, that's my bad. Three stars because it wasn't for me but I think it would work well for someone that wants what it's offering.
Fawn
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed other books written by Pat and this one is being added to that list. This held my interest with the story line and suspense. I couldn't figure out who to trust and even Chloe has her secrets to keep. She was a frustrating character at times when I could hear myself asking why she did something when I would have done it differently. There is romance, magic, and danger. All a great mix for the start of a new series.
Annarella
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very good start for a new paranormal series! This book was entertaining and engaging and I had to end it as fast as I could as I was engrossed in the story.
The characters are well written even if the heroine sometimes grates on my nerves.
The plot is fast paced, full of twist and turns, and it never bores you.
I look forward to reading the next instalment in this series.
Recommended!
Many thanks Kensington Books and Netgalley for this ARC
Rebecca Goss
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A college student is invited to join a coven lead by a young witch and her brother. A fun and fast paced adventure that has plenty of romance and also darkness reveals itself. Friendships and adversarial relationships are tested. This enjoyable book will appeal to all who enjoy paranormal stories. I couldn’t stop reading it.
Catherine Schaff-Stump
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Nuanced, with complicated subplots and multi-layered characters, Esden's book does not disappoint. I was pleased to read a complex story of a coven divided against itself. As always, hot romance plays a role in the book, but just as sexy is the interplay emotionally between the two mains. Merlin is truly a jerk also.
Casey Griffin
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book from Esden! I really got sucked into this dark and unique world the author has created. The fast pace makes this a real page turner, until of course you read the romance scenes with Devlin and you want to slow down and savor them! I also loved Chloe’s friends. They’re so fun, and I can’t wait to see more of them in future books. A great start to a new series.
Elizabeth Penney
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another yummy romantic read from Pat, set in Vermont.
L.E.
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great start to a new series. I can't wait for the next book!
D.C.
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
I’m just going to call it quits. I tried but it’s not my cup of tea
Renae
Stopped reading at 46%.

Shallow prose, weak characterization, token brown friend, underdeveloped romance.
Jessica (RomancingtheBookworm)
I'm still on the fence about this first book in Esden's new Northern Circle Coven series - on the one hand her world building was gorgeous, the magic was glamorous, and the book took a deliciously sinister turn about 50% in. That being said, it too that whole first 50% to get to the epic plot promised in the synopsis, and even though what happened afterwards was by far the most interesting part of the book, it felt rushed and fell a little flat.

Esden had in her hands a superb villain, and hinte

• One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • Wall Street Titan (Wall Street Titan, #1)
  • Madam Temptress (The Magnolia Duet #2)
  • Max (Cold Fury Hockey, #6)
  • Love Lettering
  • Fractured Fairy Tales
  • Insatiable (Steel Brothers Saga #12)
  • Runaway Tess
  • Dangerous (Wicked Hearts #2)
  • The Last Heist (Pretty Thieves #1)
  • Jealousy (The RiverMaid's Tales #3)
  • Dear Daughter
  • Cabin 1 (Steele Shadows Security #1)
  • Garrett (Cold Fury Hockey, #2)
  • Something Borrowed
  • His curvy sugar baby
  • Stroke of Luck
  • Hons and Rebels
Pat Esden would love to say she spent her childhood in intellectual pursuits. The truth is she was fonder of exploring abandoned houses and old cemeteries. When not out on her own adventures, she can be found in her northern Vermont home writing stories about brave, smart women and the men who capture their hearts.

She is the author of the contemporary fantasy Dark Heart series from Kensington Boo

Northern Circle Coven (3 books)
  • Things She's Seen