Start by marking “Cosa aspettarsi il secondo anno” as Want to Read:
Cosa aspettarsi il secondo anno

Cosa aspettarsi il secondo anno

(What to Expect)

La prima candelina sulla torta si è appena spenta: e ora? Inizia l'anno delle meraviglie, dodici mesi segnati da tappe esaltanti, da incredibili progressi ed entusiasmanti scoperte ma anche da piccole battaglie e avventurose esplorazioni. Pratico e aggiornato, un manuale completo e ricchissimo di informazioni fondamentali sui vari aspetti della crescita e sulle strategie c ...more
Published February 14th 2012 by Sperling & Kupfer (first published April 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Cosa aspettarsi il secondo anno, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cosa aspettarsi il secondo anno

Emily Dybdahl
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: motherhood
A helpful and informative guide to all the developmental milestones and issues a parent will come across with their child from age 1-2.
Cigdem
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a very detailed book covering all areas of interest. There is nothing unexpected as advice. It is all common sense. Though, it helps to confirm what is normal.
Sandra
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so happy with What to Expect the First Year that I was a little concerned that I didn't have that reference any more... so I was happy to read this book which was a little more laid back than its predecessor, organized by topic instead of monthly milestones. It gave a lot of valuable information on milestones and what to watch out for, as well as a comprehensive guide to childhood illnesses and injuries. Of course now I am super panicked that my house is not child proofed enough, but that ...more
Jason Strayer
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was a huge fan of the "first in the series," if you will. I read it cover to cover. This time around I still read cover to cover but I barely finished before my daughter's second birthday. I'd highly recommend treating this as more of a reference manual: "Oh god, she's whining again, what are we supposed to do?" It was comforting, though, to read and re-read and re-read the section on language delay and be reminded over and over again that kids develop at different speeds. All parents need som ...more
Darin
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read ahead!

This was a great book that I always found very helpful in alleviating anxiety. Reading about things as normal that you're bothered by from new parent ignorance is really calming and reassuring. My only regret was I was often behind in reading the material relevant to the month of age. I would then get to a key point and think, "man I wish I would have known this a couple months ago!" The only thing that keeps me from giving it a 5 star is that I wish the author would have had more ref
David
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
One of the unfortunate things about moving past the first year is that none of the toddler books are organized month-by-month, but tend to be by subject. Oh well.

This book was and will be pretty useful. I've just finished reading/skimming it straight through, but I expect to reference it often for the rest of the year. It's helped confirm some of the stuff I was already doing and given me some pointers about dealing with my son's eating and playing.
Audra Cohen Murzycki
This book was great. The only reason I didn't give it five stars was that it was not as helpful as the "expecting" and "first year" books, which was not the fault of the authors. In the aforementioned books one can follow along as baby develops while also using it as a reference book. This version does not follow development, but rather divides chapters into sections on topics such as eating or movement. I used it more as a reference guide. I would recommend it to a parent of a toddler.
Erin Nudi
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books, parenting
I read about three quarters of this cover to cover, but unlike What to Expect When You're Expecting I think this is more of a, looking things up when you have questions or want to learn more about something, kind of book. I'm sure I'll continue to use it as my little one heads towards the end of his second year.

This is an extremely helpful, good to have around book.
Kyla
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Commonsensical, organized well, comprehensive in scope. As with the First Year book in this series, I like that the pages of the “what to do for injury or illness” chapter are outlined in grey for easy locating.
Rochelle Baldwin
I liked that there was no timeline for everything. I just read what I needed or what my cutie acted like/did and then I was good. Information easily accessible and navigation was a breeze to just read what you needed.
David Meyer
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the set up of this book. The first in the series went through each month and what to expect. This book is set up with different sections making it easy to read through it all once, and then go back to certain chapters as needed.
Shannon
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A nice overview of what to expect in the 12-24 months. A very useful section on common ailments and when to call the doctor.
Ben
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Definitely don’t read it cover to cover. There’s a few useful text boxes about common developmental milestones and how they range. But a lot of it reads like ways to assure worried suburban parents.
Kristen
Jun 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The first two books are amazing. This one...
Erin
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series, and I’m sad because I think this is the last one. I wish it went through age 18! (Maybe 22?)
Heather Jo
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joyce
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comprehensive, as usual. Very informative. I like that it was grouped by theme rather than by age.
Lindsay
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again, a lot of good information! Time to get the next book!
Brittany
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a helpful book. I liked that it was just set up in topics rather than month by month like The First Year. That was helpful then, but it was much easier to just focus on one subject at a time at this point. Very useful info for this first-time mom!
Michelle
Thank goodness we're no longer breaking things down month by month because that was kind of driving me crazy with the What to Expect First Year book ("My baby is...doing that! Whew! Oh crap, but she's not doing that other thing you say she should be doing. Is my baby normal or not? What does next month say??"). Instead we have sections like Feeding, Behavior, Disciplining Your Toddler, etc.

Some things still stand out as being overly cautious to me, and I really want to see the studies that back
Noor
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, the book is great. Specially in the sense that it is not like a "manual". It is just a collection of an expert's notes based on experience. The writer will keep telling you that the best rule is that "there is no rule" and that every toddler is unique in his/her own way. These sort of books just draws a VEEEEEEEEEEEEERY broad line for a mother.

HOWEVER!

Dear mothers, it is too late to read :-)

Dear mothers to be, read quickly before you have your baby. Once you have it you will find it very d
Anna
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The top line: If you're a fan of the month-by-month parenting book organization, this isn't the book for you.

Me? I prefer to dig in and read cover to cover, rather than parse out a chapter or so a month. The topical organization (e.g., full chapters about traveling with a toddler, sleepy time, emergency care) provides more information on each subject in one place. No more thumbing through the index! And, yes, there are toddler timelines and developmental milestones, too! They are just rolled in
Richard Knight
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know. Maybe it's because I read the first book before my daughter was born that I thought it was so great, but this book just doesn't seem to live up to its predecessor. Perhaps it's because a lot of the advice given here doesn't seem to apply to my current toddler. Or maybe it's because I'm not nearly as petrified as I was about a year or so ago before my daughter was born. I'm really not sure. But I feel this book is mostly unnecessary. I skimmed through more than half of it,, whereas ...more
Anne
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think children are influenced by our behavior expectations. One annoyance with this book is that is keeps telling you how your child will be incorrigible and cause you trouble. I know it is supposed to give the feeling of a sympathetic and knowing friend's voice, but I just didn't think it added to the book's authority or helpfulness. Also, the question and answer format really doesn't contribute anything especially when some of the questions are of the form, "My child is showing totally appro ...more
Bird
I've read numerous books in the "What to Expect" series, and with each one, I find myself getting increasingly annoyed with the euphemisms and cutesy language. I want quick, straightforward answers and advice, and this book takes its sweet time getting to the point.

Also, much of this book is geared toward the 18-24 month set. It was nice to see a heads up of what to expect (heh) in the coming months, but a lot of it isn't applicable to my 13 month old toddler (dressing himself, using utensils, e
Kim
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite part of reading this book was the time-line of advancements for toddlers for each month. It kept me on cue as to where my toddler should be and how I can help him to advance.

Mostly everything else was self explanatory, common sense stuff for me. I helped raise most of my nieces and nephews, so I pretty much knew most of the stuff written. But, ever now and then, I would find something useful.

The first book was more helpful.
Hilary
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved the month by month guidance of What to Expect the First Year. I expected the same from this book and honestly I feel like this book was somewhat just an attempt at making more money off of this successful franchise. There is some helpful information in here but nothing I could not have found (even more quickly) than googling an issue if I had it. I will definitely re-read the first two books the next time I have a baby, but not this one.
Apr 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a month by month guide like the prior What to Expect books. I paged through it and was able to get some kindly reassurance, which, let's face it, is what you probably need as you're dealing with a toddler. I was able to quickly get the info I wanted, and I think it was written with the understanding that parents are less terrified at this point, but they still have fears and questions.
Melissa
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another awesome read by Heidi!!

I loved the first book what to expect the first year and found so much helpful information and I moved right on to the second book and this has. Been just as helpful and informative as the first one! Thank you for all the knowledge! I am a first time mom taking things one day at a time and. being the best mother to my son I can be. Reading this did help me in wondering what to expect this second year! I highly recommend
Julie
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baby, non-fiction
This was...fine. I was hoping it would be in the same month-by-month format as the previous books in the series, but I understand that it's hard to make such generalizations when kids vary so much in their development and habits at this age. While I did take away a few tips and tricks, so much of it is self-explanatory and a bit fear-monger-y...would only recommend reading this if you are someone who is very secure in your parenting skills.
  • Making the "Terrible" Twos Terrific!
  • Nursing Mother, Working Mother: The Essential Guide for Breastfeeding and Staying Close to Your Baby after You Return to Work
  • The Epidemic: The Rot of American Culture, Absentee and Permissive Parenting, and the Resultant Plague of Joyless, Selfish Children
  • Jerusalem: Kesucian, Konflik, dan Pengadilan Akhir
  • Just Tell Me What to Say: Sensible Tips and Scripts for Perplexed Parents
  • The Green Belt Movement: Sharing the Approach and the Experience
  • A Symphony in the Brain: The Evolution of the New Brain Wave Biofeedback
  • Itsy Bitsy Yoga: Poses to Help Your Baby Sleep Longer, Digest Better, and Grow Stronger
  • Positive Discipline A-Z: 1001 Solutions to Everyday Parenting Problems
  • Gesundheit!: Bringing Good Health to You, the Medical System, and Society through Physician Service, Complementary Therapies, Humor, and Joy
  • Leadership Golden Ways
  • The Pocket Parent
  • Nyanyi Sunyi Seorang Bisu 2
  • In the Shadow of Freedom: A Heroic Journey to Liberation, Manhood, and America
  • Williams Obstetrics
  • Pregnancy Day By Day
  • Spirit-Led Parenting: From Fear to Freedom in Baby's First Year
  • Wild Animals of the North
Heidi Murkoff is the author of the What to Expect® series and author of Eating Well When You're Expecting, The What to Expect Pregnancy Journal & Organizer, What to Expect the First Year, The What to Expect Baby-Sitter's Handbook, and the What to Expect Kids series from HarperCollins. Her interactive website is www.whattoexpect.com, and she lives with her family in Los Angeles, California.

What to Expect (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • What to Expect When You're Expecting
  • What to Expect the First Year (What to Expect)
  • What to Expect the Toddler Years
  • What to Expect Gift Set
  • What to Expect Baby-Sitter's Handbook
  • What To Expect Pregnancy Planner
“What happens on the morning of the first birthday?” 0 likes
“Crying it out. Also known as Ferberizing (named for Dr. Richard Ferber), the method works like this: At bedtime, while your child is sleepy but still awake, put him in the crib, give a gentle pat, a soft “I love you,” and then leave the room. Cue the crying (you knew it was coming). And here’s where the going gets tough: Let your tot cry for a full five minutes (it’ll seem much longer). Then go back in and repeat the original routine—a quick pat, a gentle “good night,” and go. Repeat this process for as long as your little guy cries, extending the time you leave him alone by about five minutes each time until he falls asleep. Stretch the times your child spends on his own by a few more minutes the second night, and again on the third. You can expect the crying jags to diminish steadily over three nights, and—drumroll, please—virtually disappear somewhere between the fourth and seventh night, replaced perhaps by a bit of fussing or a short burst of tears. The next sound you’re likely to hear? Nothing . . . except maybe a tiny snore.” 0 likes