Start by marking “La scomparsa di Stephanie Mailer” as Want to Read:
La scomparsa di Stephanie Mailer

La scomparsa di Stephanie Mailer

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  9,270 ratings  ·  1,192 reviews
30 luglio 1994. La cittadina di Orphea, stato di New York, si prepara a inaugurare la prima edizione del locale festival teatrale, quando un terribile omicidio sconvolge l’intera comunità: il sindaco viene ucciso in casa insieme a sua moglie e suo figlio. Nei pressi viene ritrovato anche il cadavere di una ragazza, Meghan, uscita di casa per fare jogging. Il caso viene aff ...more
Published May 9th 2018 by La nave di Teseo (first published March 7th 2018)

·  9,270 ratings  ·  1,192 reviews

Annet
English review & book description! New book of Joel Dicker and I love his stories. It is weird, I've seen this book in German, French, Dutch and other languages but not in English. So, here's the outline: Title: the disappearance of Stephanie Mailer. Orphea is a quiet seatown in the Hamptons, a few hours drive from New York. A small and quiet town, not much happening, until on 30 July 1994 an aweful event happens: the killing of the mayor and his family in his home, as well as a jogging woma ...more
Bernie
Jun 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Irène
May 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've finished «La Disparition de Stéphanie Mailer» by Joël Dicker 2 days ago. Overall, I enjoyed my time reading it, it made me want to read thrillers again ! It’s a complex story with a lot of twists, suspense and questions. I liked the flashbacks that gave us context and explanations for some events. Flashbacks bothered some reader but for me, it’s a win ! I always enjoyed that kind of writing for thriller ! I can’t explain too much because I don’t want to spoil you, guys !

The characters are w
Tanja Berg
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-mystery
The journalist Stephanie Mailer disappears after she has been asking about the 20-year old, resolved, massacre of a family and an innocent bystander. The family belonged to the mayor of Orphea. The police men who wrapped up the case have to consider whether their perpetrator wasn’t really the one.

This is an incredibly well plotted crime novel with a large cast of characters of which many get to share their point of view. There are subplots and detours galore. There are several timelines and for
Martha Roca
Total deception. After Henry Quebert, that was one of my favourite books ever, I waited for something good. This book is bad. A pity. I expected more from Joel Dicker.
Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms
I read the French (original) version of this book, and I have enjoyed past books by Dicker more than this one.
There were more than one character that didn't really bring anything to the story, it's as if they were there just to try to complicate the plot - and that really wasn't necessary.
I was also surprised by some time-line mistakes - on the same page, first there was Monday, June 23rd, and then later, it was Monday, June 26th, for example.
The overall story wa
Valentine
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
WARNING : THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS

Okay so, where do I start ? This book was huge. It was great, even if some things disturbed me. So, let's divide this review in two parts.

WHAT I LIKED :
-The plot. It was really well done, there is some suspence all along the book.
-The characters. There are a lot of them, sure, but still, I wasn't really lost, and it permits to complexify the story.
-The big plot twist. I didn't expect that AT ALL, and I was shocked l
Kriste
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
La Disparition de Stephanie Mailer is the latest book by Joel Dicker that I have read. I have read by now most of his books and I really enjoyed them. I really like this one, but could not decide if I should give 3* or 4*, most likely it is 3.5* rounded. However in my opinion his best book and my favourite is La Vérité sur l'affaire Harry QuebertLa Vérité sur l'affaire Harry Quebert.
As in all previous books by Joel Dicker, I enjoyed the story line and the strong and unique characters he creates and for s
Miriam
Somehow a 'whodunnit', somehow a portrayal of a small-town commmunity, somehow a portrayal of different characters and a study in people.
Changing perspectives and narrators, the author makes us understand not only one protagonist, but at least the three main characters looking for a solution of the old murder case from 20 years ago, if not more. This way of telling the story also keeps you interested and invested in the story and the characters.
Even though I suspected who did it, it did
Sarah 🐍
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joel Dicker did it again. The Truth About the Harry Quebert Case will always be my favorite, but this one was very close. Dicker has an ability to weave a story through so many different threads, and you don’t understand the importance of every thread until you’ve reach the end and you see the big picture. I hope this make sense, but if it didn’t I’ll make this simpler: it was fricking amazing.
Tere Romances
Sep 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1,5🌟

First of all, I have nothing against Joël Dicker, I actually really liked his two books in the Marcus Goldman series.

This novel had too many characters and was too long. He doesn't need to extend the story so much, it just becomes repetitive. And also the amount of foresight he does it annoying.
Luc Freijer
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After ‘The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair’ this is the second Dicker I read and yes, it’s another perfect detective with lots of unexpected twists and turns. Perfect holiday read, took it everywhere, even to the top of a Tiroler mountain, as I couldn’t stop reading in order to figure out whodunit.
Hermien
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real page turner in the beginning but the ending tended a bit towards a soap opera. Still a very entertaining and enjoyable read.
Emma Verbree
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, although somewhat predictable and unrealistic here and there, is a real page turner: it took me four days to read all 634 pages. Never once was I bored or impatient by it. Well done!
Mariagiulia
Overall disappointing.
I loved "The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair" and also "The Baltimore Boys" but in this case, I think that Joel Dicker missed the target.
Undoubtedly I appreciated the complexity of the story: it is not easy to keep the readers interested for 700 pages avoiding them to get lost in the dozens of characters and different situations presented. The plot was well built and till the end I kept on wondering about who could have been the murderer.
Anyway, there were many thin
Alvaro Cobian
Aug 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion it's such a poor book. Not just by the fact that it starts with the topic of a great policeman who is going to retire and one week before he need to investigate about an old murder that he though solved 20 years ago... it's full of clichés at the same time: the sense of responsibility of a good man, who lives with the memory of he beloved girlfriend who died for what he consideres his fault... and many more.
The plot is absolutely inconsistent, there is no justification for so
Jeremy Scheurer
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rita
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, this is a bit more of a 3.5
Honestly, I was not very dedicated to reading during the last month, which is probably why it seemed like ages until the story started to pick up - I had spent ages without reading a word. Between yesterday and today, however, I ended up reading the last 300 pages of this novel, just like it has happened whenever I pick up a Joël Dicker book.
However, unlike Baltimore Boys and The Truth About The Harry Quebert Affair, I often considered this story to be
Georgiana Gligor
FORGETTABLE

I'm sure what I'm about to say will offend some people, but this novel, although hyped about, is so forgettable it's gonna go out of my head the moment I finish it.

But don't get me wrong, the writing is not bad, it's just... nothing special, I guess. It cannot be distinguished from the next murder mystery you'd see on a shelf. It's just interesting enough to read on the bus without falling asleep!

It's even more tragic because it had multiple stories merging to
`Cristina
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I am feeling quite ambivalent about the book, especially after digesting it for few days after finishing it..
I have read the book in one week, basically glued since page 1. The story is intriguing, with so many twists and turns... characters surface, we think that's it, and then another turn.. I think this is the real talent of Joel Dicker, its the same style of the Harry Quebert book. It feels like a gentle tornado, as a reader you are lifted into the story, and you just roll with it. It is hi
JGrant '71
Very Disappointing.
Inasmuch as I loved La Vérité sur l’Affaire Harry Quebert (5/5 rating), this didn’t make the grade. The story followed the same structure as “Québert”, with a jumble of characters who all could be involved in the mystery - and the first third of the story actually worked well as the lead investigators try to determine what happened to Stephanie Mailer, an aspiring and accomplished crime reporter.
However, from there on, the story becomes increasingly non-credible, mainly
Kate
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had previously read Joel Dicker's "La verité sur l'affaire Harry Quebert" and despite finding the narrator insufferable, the supposedly great love affair between a 14-year-old girl and a 30-something man implausible and icky, and the author's understanding of American culture tenuous at best, I still somehow became completely engrossed in the story, and was eager to pick up Dicker's new mystery/thriller novel. I read this while on vacation and loved every minute of it. It's a bit long, yes, an ...more
Antonio
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dicker is quickly establishing his formula for creating an unputdownable book. Non flat characters with believable arcs, interests and secrets which lay a tapestry of complex relations between them deepened as the book progresses.

As done in the previous book El libro de los Baltimore a fatal event is set midpoint of the book, so the book can create momentum up to this point and later pick up the pieces to form the aftermath. And although the tactic is set, it really works, captivating me from begi
Cornelia Virginia
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A masterpiece as usual, this is one of those books you buy when you need to regain faith in the literary world and tell yourself that there is still hope for tomorrow. I couldn’t put it down and I had to stop studying for an afternoon because I had to finish it. I couldn’t believe Michael was the guilty one but in the end everything had its explanation. I still am a little shocked by how the story of Steven unfolded and how his wife accepted the idea… I hope he used pseudonyms in the book otherw ...more
Federica
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I gave 3 stars to this book because it was a pleasant reading as I was looking for a light reading. If you have already read "The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair", from the first pages you will understand that the narration and the structure of the story are very similar. Nothing spectacular in the story or the characters and also the end was quite a disappointment. But if what you are looking for is simple crime fiction, this book is the perfect choice. It is not a demanding reading and it ...more
Elodie MJ C.
Half contented half disappointed. Dicker’s new novel is way better that « Baltimore » but far away from « Harry Quebert ». The story is pleasant so is the investigation. The little Hampton town seems charming and the characters well depicted. But the story is too light. Some length could be cut to narrow down the mystery. The investigation never really accelerates and the end just comes slowly and quite calmly. If I hadn’t read an interview of Dicker I wouldn’t even know ge based the murder case ...more
Samantha Morgan
I bought this book in August and I just finished it. At first was really boring, too many things and events that seems doesn’t have any connections between them... but of course, in the end everything is connected.
I couldn’t stop to read the last few chapters, even though I think the story wasn’t really riveting - I just wanted to know who the killer was.
I found some characters very annoying, like Kirk Harvey. I couldn’t stand him. Some of them wasn’t necessary.
There’s a lot of
Jordi
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading a Joël Dicker book proves, so far, an entertaining task for sure, at least for me.
I enjoyed quite a lot his first best seller, but this one is not as good and satisfying. Its too long for what it tells (or should need to tell), as usual in the autor, but entertaining and sometimes intriguing.
I have felt again that it should have been cutted some pages and even characters, that doesn't bring enough to the whole of the story, even so, the last chapters are very entertaining and
Céline Moreira
Once again, Joël Dicker is amazing at getting us confused with who’s the murderer, and the few plot twists are making the story very credible.
The book is a bit long though, and there is too much strange mystery to my taste, which doesn’t belong to such a story.
I got a bit bored with all the back and forth and the side stories, as it felt like some of them didn’t bring much to the development of the main storyline.
The resolution however is brilliant, and I felt very satisfied with wh
Pedro
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I don't know how, but Joël Dicker did it again.

I was afraid of reading to him again. I thought maybe he would be delivering a kind of copy of Harry Quebert this time, but actually not.

This book indeed was a similar reading experience to me, but because at certain point it made me to read it insanely quickly, just as the first time (Harry Quebert).

But besides that, this book stands alone. The story captivates you, and the characters are just too damn pecu
« previous 1 3 4 next »
A Todo Terreno: La desaparició de Stephanie Mailer by Joël Dicker 8 26 Nov 16, 2018 09:06AM

• Entre ciel et Lou
  • Écoutez nos défaites
  • Puzzle
  • Enid (Quatre soeurs, #1)
  • Le Cœur d'une autre
  • A Sentinela
  • Cadres Noirs
  • La novia gitana (Elena Blanco, #1)
  • L'uomo del labirinto
  • Sauveur & Fils Saison 1
  • Le Mystère Henri Pick
  • L'Éducation d'une fée
  • Les putes voilées n'iront jamais au paradis!
  • Une putain d'histoire
  • Reina roja (Antonia Scott, #1)
  • El mal camino
  • Territoires (Victor Coste, #2)
Joel Dicker was born in 1985 in Geneva, Switzerland, where he studied law. He spent childhood summers in New England, particularly in Stonington and Bar Harbor, Maine. The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair won three French literary prizes, including the Grand Prix du Roman from the Académie Française, and was a finalist for the Prix Goncourt. Dicker lives in Geneva.
“Da igual de dónde vengas, la gente te juzgará por adónde vas.” 1 likes
“Ahora han cambiado las expectativas y también las exigencias, porque todo se considera un derecho adquirido.” 1 likes