Start by marking “Every Mask I Tried On: Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Every Mask I Tried On: Short Stories

Every Mask I Tried On: Short Stories

In this award-winning collection of short fiction, Alina Stefanescu brings an immigrant's sharp eye to the American way of life. In prose that reminds us of the best of Grace Paley, Every Mask I Tried On is by turns smart, funny, and profound.

Every Mask I Tried On is a collection that initially appears to be the love-child of Lydia Davis and Gary Lutz. But then it’s like
Published May 1st 2018 by Brighthorse Books

To ask other readers questions about Every Mask I Tried On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Mask I Tried On

Start your review of Every Mask I Tried On: Short Stories
Carolyn Breckinridge
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's amazingly noteworthy that at the end of 'Every Mask I Tried On: Short Stories,' Alina Stefanescu acknowledges twenty-four literary journals that first published the various short stories in her collection, and she then goes on to thank Brighthorse Books for publishing this collection as their prize winner. There isn't much that can be added to attest to the quality of writing in this book.
Alina's sculpting of words and sentences is breathtaking at times; honest, vulnerable, witty, scrappy,
Jan Stinchcomb
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A smart, compelling collection. Alina Stefanescu is a prose writer who is not afraid to show her many sides: poet, lover, mother, immigrant, fighter, scholar. Read this for a new look at the domestic sphere in an America that needs to change. Read this to experience the originality of every sentence.
Northtothespruce
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alina is a fierce critic and lover of life. A smart, shocking, and tasty poetic style that keeps running through your head after the book is closed. I found myself going back to read certain sentences and phrases over again, relishing an image or jaw-dropping description. Alina looks at a blend of the mundane and unpredictable moments of love, partnerships, isolation, identity, and death with honesty, humor, and grit. But above all: wonder.

I have not felt sadness and disappointment at coming to
Kwoya Maples
E&H Books - Tusca...: Next book club read 1 1 Mar 04, 2019 12:52PM
Favorite Story 1 1 Jul 10, 2018 09:30AM

• My Year in the Middle
  • Granger's Girl
  • There Must Be a Witness: Stories of Abuse, Advocacy, and the Fight to Put Children First
  • The Unseen World
Alina Stefanescu was born in Romania and lives in Alabama with four incredible mammals. Find her poems and prose in recent issues of Juked, DIAGRAM, New South, Mantis, VOLT, Cloudbank, New Orleans Review Online, and others.

Her debut fiction collection, Every Mask I Tried On, won the Brighthorse Books Prize and will be available in May 2018. She serves as Poetry Editor for Pidgeonholes and
“The problem is that people are not honest.

If people have never been honest, that does not mean there is no problem. It only means the problem is bigger than one girl can imagine alone.”
1 likes
“I knew it was just a suggestion, but the assistant was nursing a toddler at the time and the visible impact of suggestions on her personal life was obscene in an unquantifiable way. What was she trying to prove by nursing a mammal with sharp teeth? At what point do we say the trapeze artist is not courageous but actually quite foolish? I waited for someone to get hurt because things are clearer then.” 0 likes