Start by marking “Loving Our Kids on Purpose: Making a Heart-To-Heart Connection” as Want to Read:
Loving Our Kids on Purpose: Making a Heart-To-Heart Connection

Loving Our Kids on Purpose: Making a Heart-To-Heart Connection

Here is a fresh look at the age-old role of parenting.Loving Our Kids on Purpose brings the principles of the Kingdom of God and revival into our strategy as parents. 2 Corinthians 3:17 tells us that Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is freedom. Most parenting approaches train children to learn to accept being controlled by well meaning parents and adults. ...more
Published December 1st 2008 by Destiny Image Incorporated

Start your review of Loving Our Kids on Purpose: Making a Heart-To-Heart Connection
Russ Smith
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Chapter 1, The heart of the matter
Basically about the focus of the book which is loving your kids instead of disciplining them. Changing from the paradigm of controlling kids, and making them act like you want them to act, and instead loving them, letting them choose, and helping them with the consequences. My first thought on this thought, was that I hope he explains, and goes into which age groups, and how much choice to give kids. It would be good to consider, exactly at what age, which
Elaine
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is not only a great parenting book, it's a great relationship book. Danny Silk sets the goal for us of keeping connection with our children. A strong heart connection can weather many storms. We are not trying to control our children because we realize we can control no one but ourselves (and only ourselves on a good day). We honor our kids by giving them choices. We discipline out of love for the sake of teaching and maintaining a heart connection, instead of disciplining out of fear and a ...more
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Similar in thought to Grace-Based Parenting, but with more practical ideas for how to actually put the theories into practice. I particularly liked Silk's emphasis on knowing and connecting to the heart of our children. Also, I wish that I had known some of his techniques when I was in the classroom. I think it would have saved me a lot of frustration and heartache.
Alicia
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Need to listen to again. Great book about treating kids with respect and freedom. Some of it you have to be careful and not being legalistic.
Shannon
Apr 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, faith
Another non-fiction book? I think 2010 may be a record breaking year in that regard. A friend recommended this book to me and while the writing could be crisper and the examples could be fleshed out, I learned a lot from reading this book and found myself wishing that I'd read it years ago. That said, reading this book with a ten year old daughter who is entering a new phase is great timing. This book encouraged me that we can survive the teen age years if I work hard to stay connected to my ...more
Pauline
I was looking for a book that would help me to articulate my instinctive distaste for using physical violence with children within a Christian culture that is still sadly unclear on this subject, and I found it within these pages.

It is unfortunate that the author would still allow for spanking in some circumstances but I am still rating it five stars because it was such a paradigm shift for me in terms of how I view my role as a parent and how to approach discipline.

At its core, the book raises
Joanna VanVleet
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really found so much value in this book!! I had read 'Shepherding a Child's Heart' but still never understood how I was actually getting to the heart of a child and helping them desire to choose (from their heart rather than fear of consequence) good choices. This book was definitely a paradigm shift for me as it focuses more on love and relationships rather than on getting obedience and compliance. I know I cannot do justice to this book with a tiny review, but it really was instrumental in ...more
Sarah Weichhand
Nov 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book has the most incredibly simple layout for parents for teaching your children how to make choices rather than simply punishing them or controlling them out of fear. It is incredibly healing--for anyone who has ever BEEN parented--and it was not done perfectly! (And we know that's all of us!) This book draws a comparison between how God gives us choices and guidance as we grow in maturity in our walk with Him...and how parents can do the same. The focus is on relationship with the ...more
Danny
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian, parenting
There are some good principles in this book. I appreciated the idea that we really need to work hard to love our kids and not simply try to control them. What bothered me is that many of the examples used felt like passive aggressive manipulation. Not love. Of course it is hard to capture the true experience into words on a page. I don't think the mixed messages were deliberate but much of the book just rubbed me the wrong way. It is a shame because I think there is a lot of good ideas in it but ...more
Emily Ventura
May 30, 2010 rated it did not like it
I had difficulty with his parenting technique. Often he let his children deal with the consequences and he got lucky that the consequences enforced the lessonfor instance, you tell your child "don't tip your chair, you might fall off" if they choose to continue to tip their chair and they fall off they learn their lesson. But what if they don't fall off-what's the lesson then? He never really explores what to do if the consequences of the child's choice does not create a lesson.
Lorna
Oct 13, 2013 rated it liked it
The overall message- that of treating children with grace and freedom- is both challenging and inspiring, but many of the examples they give are too American and too confusing to give a clear picture. There are some great thoughts within this book but also a lot of things I disagreed with or struggled to see the grace in.
Angie
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt, one of the best books I've ever read. And it is applicable to far more than the parent/child relationship. Plan to re-read within the week and refer back to it often. (plus write a better review....)
Cody
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really great info that helps shift perspective and provokes thought about how God parents us. Would like more practical how to chapters.
Jordan
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This actually wasn't quite a 4 star...maybe a 3.5.
Lauryn
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This book deserves three stars for Silk’s discussion of parenting from a paradigm of love rather than fear or anger. This seems obvious, but so much of our knee-jerk reactions as parents come from a place of anger or fear that we’re failing as parents and our children aren’t turning out as we’d hoped. Thus, we try to control them through punishment. Such an approach is not rooted in love, which casts out fear. Silk’s discussion on these points was the most valuable part of the book. Beyond that, ...more
Kimberly
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Danny’s explanation and encouragement of having a heart to heart connection with your children is on point. He emphasizes the importance of love being the number one priority and making a connection through love with your children. I also appreciated his perspective on how to teach your children to take ownership of their problems and to make decisions based on their internal compass. I plan to re-read this book when my children are nearing their pre-teen years.

I did not agree with all his
Heather
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read as a group for Bible study; having group discussion and other perspectives to talk about questions and practical ways to implement for various ages was helpful rather than reading this as a stand-alone parenting tool. Focus on discipling instead of punishing. The goal not to lose sight of is heart connection and training kids to think for themselves, giving them tools to learn freedom and self control, boundaries, owning their feelings and actions instead of blaming others, becoming ...more
Kelly Valencia-Aiken
BUY THIS BOOK!!!!

Danny Silk did a PHENOMENAL job in “Loving Our Kids On Purpose.” He spoke of switching covenants and moving away from Old Testament punishment-oriented discipline and moving toward freedom and love, demonstrating sadness and empathy when children make wrong choices instead of fear and anger. This book is excellent even for those who do not have children, but want a deeper relationship with the Lord. The truths laid out were utterly profound! This was the first book I had read by
Robby Newton
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible tools and insights into parenting and loving your children the best you can. Very practical emphasis on developing your children through connection instead of punishment. Danny Silk talks about helping our kids grow by being motivated internally instead of externally and showing them the heart of God for them to live in His absolute freedom. Highly recommend for both parents and just someone interested in relationships in general- there’s a ton of universal wisdom here.
Brittany Aloisio
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on parenting. Love and logic meets Christian graced based parenting and understanding how God parents us. It creates responsibility in children,. Helping them realize that they have choices and it's what they choose that determines what happens. This style of parenting and discipline empowers them in their free will but also teaches how actions affect others and the consequences of their actions.
Matthijs
This has been an interesting read, with my feelings going up and down. I recently started writing remarks in the margins of books I want to read thoroughly and the notes in this one range from “Yes! So true!” and “This has been going wrong in my upbringing!” to “You got to be kidding me!” and “Now you’re just being mean!”. (I tend to have a lot of exclamation marks in my notes.)

There are a lot of solid principles in this book, with the main takeaway that your relationship with your children
Paul Van buren
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where was this pastor 30 years ago? I really could have used this clear understanding of relationships in the Kingdom back then. If you don't like to be challenged and have your world turned on you then avoid this book. However, if you want clear insight and revelation on how relationship works according to Kingdom reality then you will read this one through a few times.
Natasha Dosa
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book about a new approach to parenting

I have been a parent for half of a decade but I have already found myself parenting from fear and control. I struggle with this knowing this is not how God deals with us. This book is insightful and helpful in understanding how to parent like God does.
Daniel
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very practical book. I recognise all the tantrums and fighting amongst our kids; Silk has seen them all and has very practical solutions. So love your kids, give them choices, let them suffer (some) consequences of their actions. Most importantly, remain calm at all times and do not get into a quarrel. I had tried the technique and I must say it is highly effective.

I love this book!
Kristine
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended on a podcast I listen to, and I will gladly pass along the recommendation to anyone needing some help in their parenting. The book is written using scripture, personal experiences by the author, and concise, helpful counsel that can be applied immediately. I am finding great power in my own parenting from a few basic suggestions from the author.
Patrick
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent parenting book with practical advice on how to love and guide your children. As a new foster parent, my wife and I have benefited from the emphasis on connection and non-corporal punishment. This is also helped me think creatively on how to give my children lessons and choices that help them grow and avoid power struggles. Good stuff.
Jeannie Marie
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
The principles are really great in this book. But the writing is a bit sluggish and repeats itself. Also, is seems the author is re-writing another book from his mentor which makes me want to go read that book.
Beth
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Loved this one. I’d give it 5 stars, except the bulk of the strategies are taken from another book, Love & Logic. That said, Silk’s delivery was much more effective for me, he plainly cited his sources throughout, and this is the book I’d recommend of the two.
Callie
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
This book had some very enlightening moments. The idea of "I can only control myself" has been immediately helpful. Also the topic of boundaries and how they add worth to that which they enclose was an eye opener. Based on this book I'm going to start reading love and logic next.
Melodie-joy Desjardins
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has shifted my whole perspective with not only my role as a mom, but also my role in every relationship I have. Wow. This is a must read for every person following Christ who wants real relationships. Please, please, please read this life giving book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Parenting With Love and Logic
  • Poverty, Riches and Wealth: Moving from a Life of Lack into True Kingdom Abundance
  • The Happy Intercessor
  • Praying Circles around Your Children
  • The Supernatural Ways of Royalty: Discovering Your Rights and Privileges of Being a Son or Daughter of God
  • When Heaven Invades Earth: A Practical Guide to a Life of Miracles
  • Moral Revolution: The Naked Truth About Sexual Purity
  • God is Good: He's Better Than You Think
  • When God Becomes Real
  • The War in Your Head: A Feature Message from The Supernatural Power of a Transformed Mind
  • The New Strong-Willed Child
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
  • The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name
  • Teaching from Rest: A Homeschooler's Guide to Unshakable Peace
  • The Supernatural Power of a Transformed Mind Expanded Edition: Access to a Life of Miracles
  • Stronger than the Struggle: Uncomplicating Your Spiritual Battle
  • In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day: How to Survive and Thrive When Opportunity Roars
  • Betrayed (The Cost of Betrayal Collection)
“When love and freedom replace punishment and fear as the motivating forces in the relationship between parent and child, the quality of life improves dramatically for all involved. They feel safe with each other, and the anxiety that created distance in the relationships is chased away by the sense of love, honor, and value for one another.” 0 likes
“In one fell swoop, Jesus promoted relationship above the rules. Love and relationship are the bottom line of the Kingdom, and they must be ours if we wish to establish a Kingdom culture in our homes.” 0 likes