Start by marking “Duchess by Deception (Gilded #1)” as Want to Read:
Duchess by Deception (Gilded #1)

Duchess by Deception

(Gilded #1)

In New York Times bestselling author Marie Force's dazzling historical romance debut, the clock is ticking for a wealthy Duke who must marry by his thirtieth birthday—or lose his title...

Derek Egan, the dashing Duke of Westwood, is well aware of his looming deadline. But weary of tiresome debutantes, he seeks a respite at his country home in Essex—and encounters a man digg
Published January 29th 2019 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about Duchess by Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duchess by Deception

Start your review of Duchess by Deception (Gilded #1)
Caz
Jan 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
This one gets a D for "Dreadful" at AAR.

Marie Force is a very well-known and popular writer of romantic suspense and contemporary romance novels, and is now turning her hand to writing historical romance.  Based on this first foray into the genre, I’m afraid I have to say that she should stick to writing what she knows best, because Duchess by Deception is simply awful; it’s based on a flawed premise and is full of more really tired clichés than you can shake a bundle of sticks at.

Derek, Duke o
Sonya Heaney
Dec 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Also posted HERE .

I've added a couple of edits at the bottom.

Marie Force has been a prominent and well-loved figure in the contemporary romance and romantic suspense scenes for years, and this is her move into the historical romance genre.

Did it work for me? Uh… no, not really. Ignoring the sexist opening chapter for a moment, my problem with Duchess by Deception is that it reads like a throwback to the books of the 1980s, and it doesn’t seem like Force has kept up with the changes in the gen
Caitlyn Lynch
Jan 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
I’m going to start this review by saying that Marie Force is one of my favourite contemporary romantic suspense authors, and someone I deeply respect in the writing world.

But with that said, I really, really wish she hadn’t tried her hand at historical romance because this is a hot mess. It’s got some absolute clangers in terms of historical inaccuracies and a hero who tells continued and repeated lies to the heroine and then tries to tell her it’s all for her benefit. While refusing to allow h
Nicola
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
With Marie Force’s trademark stamp of likeable characters, romance and steam by the bucketload and a Downton Abbey-esque setting, Duchess by Deception introduces us to Derek Eagon, Duke of Westwood and Lady Catherine McCabe whose feelings for one another move at a fair old clip.

description I’ve never seen anything quite like the way the two of you went from confirmed bachelors to happy matrimony in the blink of an eye.”

My thoughts on this are mixed with parts I enjoyed and those less so. Overall it was
Monique
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This review is for the Advanced Review Copy. It seems the finished version might be slightly different, regarding the duke's title.

Suspension of disbelief required

I will most probably be accused of being mean-spirited or petty, but the moment I saw the blurb, I knew I had to read this book. The blurb says that the duke will lose his title if he is not married before his thirtieth birthday. The thing is, this is impossible: a dukedom is a matter of birthright and no cockamamie scheme can deprive
Naadira  Moodley (BookedMercy)
I have read quite a bit of historical romance books because it’s a genre that I love but this book disappointed me so much. I read the blurb and was instantly hooked but the book seriously fell short.

Catherine was found digging a hole in Derek’s property. It is instant attraction on his part and when Cat finally gets her bearing she notices that Derek is quite a looker. He deceives her in thinking his is someone other than a duke because he wants to be “normal” for a change. They instantly fell
Corinne Michaels
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge historical reader and I was really excited when Marie announced she was jumping into this genre. I've loved her writing style for a long time and this book was just wonderful.

From the first page I was captivated and it didn't let up until the end. I was immersed in this world, taken through the emotions that Marie Force is known to envoke. I loved every word and can't wait for more. This was a fantastic read.
Lady Heather
I had originally put this book down at the 60% mark after trying to read it for 5 days.
Today I picked it up again and finally finished it.
The last 40% was amazing (hense the 3 star rating).
Anne OK
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First historical romance from a favorite author -- Marie Force. Beautifully written, fun-to-read and two adorably lovable main characters. The deception is delicious. The story has a little mystery to it and an easy to hate villain. You wont want to miss this one.

FULL REVIEW CLOSER TO RELEASE DATE.
Cc
"Primogeniture (English: /praɪməˈdʒɛnɪtʃər/) is the right, by law or custom, of the paternally acknowledged, firstborn son to inherit his parent's entire or main estate, in preference to daughters, elder illegitimate sons, younger sons and collateral relatives; in some cases the estate may instead be the inheritance of the firstborn child or occasionally the firstborn daughter." copied from Wiktionary

A title CANNOT be taken away by a stipulation in a will. The unentailed portion of the ancestors
Evanne Lorraine
Feb 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Really horrid, which is not just a matter of a misstep here and there, but an appalling lack of understanding for the period chosen for the story. While Ms. Force is a gifted author of comtemporary romances, she didn't bother researching her venture into historical romance. Apparently her editors made the same mistake.

MG
4 stars

I honestly struggled a little with this book at the onset because it felt like Ms. Force was trying too hard in her historical debut. I have been enjoying her contemporary Fatal series, so I was excited to give this one a try.

Derek (Duke of Westwood) is in a predicament: he must marry by his 30th birthday or abdicate the duchy --- this was decreed by one of his ancestors, and while all of the previous dukes have met this "deadline," Derek has grown weary of the vapid "offerings" each sea
Kelsie Maxwell
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-read
Duchess by Deception by Marie Force is the first book in her new Gilded series. Force is well-known for her romantic suspense and contemporary romance, so this historical romance is a departure for her.

Derek Eagan, Duke of Westwood, must marry before his thirtieth birthday, or he’ll lose his title and inheritance. The problem is that his birthday is eleven days away and none of the high-brow debutantes he’s met this season appeal to him.

Catherine McCabe, daughter of the new Earl of Brisbane, d
Tracy  C
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
A relationship faster than a speeding bullet. Derek and Catherine went from strangers to love in seconds. And there is a parallel story line with Simon, Derek's cousin, and Madeleine, Catherine's sister, who also go from 0-60 in seconds! Also, they just let Anthony go when they find out everything he did. Just because they tell him to stay away doesn't mean they can trust him. He's a criminal for goodness sake!
Simone
Feb 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Just awful.
Just stunningly awful.
The writing is atrocious, the plot is absurd (and also impossible, legally), and the characters are flat and uninteresting.
Also, why is this series called "Gilded?" This set in England in 1900s, and has nothing to do with the Gilded Age.
Brenda
Jan 30, 2019 added it
I haven’t read an historical in a very long time , but I loved this story. Marie Force is truly talented in all genres. This is a great storyline and a quick read because once you start it you won’t want to put it down . I recommend this book and look forward to more Giled stories to come
Isha Coleman
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Duchess by Deception (Gilded #1) by Marie Force

Force makes a strong case for herself as a well rounded author. Duchess by Deception takes the best parts of contemporary romance and travels back in time to create a captivating tale of love lost, secrets found and new beginnings revealed. Derek and Catherine meet by chance in a time where women are nothing more than window dressing. Knowing she's destined for more, Catherine sets out to pave her own way in the world. Derek is the dream she neve
KK
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books-read
I’m SO not usually a fan of historical romance. I’ve read a few I really liked but it’s definitely not my first, or even second, favorite genre. But this book and these characters? SO much to love. I encourage everyone to give it a try- you will not be disappointed!
Lissy Liz
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was a slow read, couldn’t really get into the story. It was meh 😕
Heather
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Even though I don't frequently read historical romances, I had to pick up this one because I truly enjoy other books that the author has written. In my opinion, Marie Force did a terrific job with her first historical romance and I truly hope she continues even though my preference will always be the contemporary novels. In this story we actually had two couples find love when they were least expecting it, in fact, three of the people had given up on ever finding love. Between the terrific chara ...more
Fabiola Chenet
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved it and can't wait to read the second volume. Longer review to come
Sheri Morell
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am not a fan of historical romance but really enjoyed this book. I loved Derek despite his lies knowing that he did it to protect her. I loved Cat for so many reasons and was so happy that they found there happily ever after. I look forward to reading more of this series.
Robin Loves Reading
Derek Egan, Duke of Westwood, is about to turn thirty, and there is the unfortunate stipulation that he must marry before his next birthday. If he does not marry, he forfeits his title as well as his inheritance. Meanwhile, Derek discovers a woman on his property in Essex. She is feverish and he takes her in with hopes of saving her life. She is mostly unconscious that first night , and then Derek makes the choice to not tell her of his title. He instructs his staff to do the same.

Catherine has
Carissa
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this was a great start to the beginning of a historical series. Marie did a great job for her first historical. I think some of the good points is that the book starts out with our Hero's pov. I'm glad for the variety. The beginning sucked me in especially with the 1st few chapters. The way how the story progressed was a bit unexpected. You also get 2 love stories in 1 after the 50% mark. This story has mystery, mistaken identity, secrets, and of course romance.
Mahima
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
2 stars for the sake of Marie Force.

The story was way too predictable which is the nice word for "boring".

The progress was very slow and the Duke was acting strange on the very first meet with Catherine. Moreover it was not making me turn the pages like other historical romance does which is a shame!!
Lisa Book Stacks
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
ARC from book tour. Marie Force first historical romance,
But, I was totally captivated by the story of Derek, a duke, and Catherine. It had all of those elements that love in a novel- romance, humor, and suspense. Duchess by Deception now falls into the category of my most loved books that I will reread. As I read I was reminded of some of my favorite historical romance novels from Julie Garwood,Which wrote some of the first historians I have ever read.
Rachel
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Derek Egan knows the clock is ticking on his deadline, but none of the debutants catch his interest in the slightest. Returning to his Essex home for a reprieve, he catches someone digging on his property. What he finds is a woman frantic with fever and despiration. Hiding his identity, he nurses her back to health while hiding his true identity.

Catherine McCabe is running from the aristocracy after a betrothal she cannot abide. She isn’t happy to find herself caught on the land of another arist
Candace N
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually really enjoyed Duchess by Deception. Marie Force is a new author to me and I loved her writing style and the storyline. It was fun, fast paced, easy to follow and full of emotion. Literally my only problem with this story is the glaringly similar personalities between all of the characters. Catherine and Madeline , the only real noticeable difference between their characters was their name. The Duke, Simon, Enderly, Jack Bancroft, and Michael (The Grandfather) it was literally like re ...more
Cheryl
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a lighthearted entertaining read. The story moved along at a good pace. I liked the character of Derek, I was unsure of Catherine, at times. She seemed unable to forgive Derek, even though he had helped her from suffering a dreadful marriage. There is also the secondary romance involving Simon and Madeline, a villain to spice things up and a happy ending. I received a copy and have voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Niki
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Derek Eagan was saddled with the title and responsibilities of the Duke of Westwood when his parents were killed in a carriage accident when he was just six years old. Now 29, he must marry his 30th birthday, just a couple short weeks away, or forfeit his title and responsibilities to his undeserving wastrel of an uncle. Fed up with empty headed debutantes throwing themselves at him in yet another failed season, Derek decides to retreat to his country estate in Essex to clear his head for a few ...more

• Believe in Me (The Worthingtons, #6)
  • Escaping His Grace (Gentlemen of Temptation, #2)
  • Tempt Me with Diamonds (The London Jewels Trilogy, #1)
  • Your Love Is Mine (Maine Sullivans, #1; The Sullivans, #19)
  • A Lord Apart (The Way to a Lord's Heart, #2)
  • Outrageous (Quantum, #7)
  • Never Deny a Duke (Decadent Dukes Society, #3)
  • Falling in Love All Over Again (Maine Sullivans #0.5; The Sullivans, #18.5)
  • As Long As I Have You (London Sullivans #1)
  • Lady Notorious (Royal Rewards, #4)
  • The Wayward Bride (Besotted Scots, #1)
  • There Goes My Heart (Maine Sullivans, #2; The Sullivans, #20)
  • Captivating In Love (The Maverick Billionaires, #6)
  • The Reluctant Duchess (The Brides of St. Ives #4)
  • Anyone But a Duke (Sin and Sensibility, #3)
  • Earl to the Rescue
  • The Highland Earl (Lords of the Highlands, #6)
  • The Earl Next Door (First Comes Love, #1)
Marie Force is the New York Times bestselling author of contemporary romance, romantic suspense and erotic romance. Her series include Gansett Island, Fatal, Treading Water, Butler Vermont and Quantum.

Her books have sold nearly 10 million copies worldwide, have been translated into more than a dozen languages and have appeared on the New York Times bestseller more than 30 times. She is also a USA

Gilded (2 books)
  • Deceived by Desire (Gilded, #2)

News & Interviews